Man Utd 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

Romain perraud has gone from a 6/10 finding his way left back to a full on premier league established 9/10 player ..he’s been incredible for us ..tenacious and gets up and down superbly ..our balance now on both sides of the pitch is sublime .. we know now wen to press and periods wen to sit .. Kwp and Rom today outstanding! Didn’t think we’d have the energy after spuds the other night but our levels went up again mid 1st half and all of 2nd .. game management was perfect! Credit to Ralph ! 

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Just seen a replay of Bruno's scuffle with JWP. He took a huge swing at JWP and missed. Surely even missing there was intent for violent conduct?

I saw it happen during the game but from another angle and didn't realize just how much of a swing it was.

It was violent conduct. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to miss so should have been red. And I've seen penalties given for less than Maguire's challenge, even without the stamp. My MU friend says it was accidental but looked deliberate enough to me, so that's red too.

And Man U are complaining they're not getting VAR decisions, even the one where 5 players were offside when Ronaldo put it in the net.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man Utd 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
12 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:
25 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Just seen a replay of Bruno's scuffle with JWP. He took a huge swing at JWP and missed. Surely even missing there was intent for violent conduct?

I saw it happen during the game but from another angle and didn't realize just how much of a swing it was.

Expand  

Did JWP pinch him?

Hope so. Bruno looked terrified when Stephens came on.

11 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

It was violent conduct. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to miss so should have been red. And I've seen penalties given for less than Maguire's challenge, even without the stamp. My MU friend says it was accidental but looked deliberate enough to me, so that's red too.

And Man U are complaining they're not getting VAR decisions, even the one where 5 players were offside when Ronaldo put it in the net.

Great points. 

To add.

- Michael Owen said, "he did stamp on him but it's accidental".

Sorry Michael but by definition a stamp is deliberate.

- Had JWP swung at Bruno he'd have gone to turf holding his face. I'm glad JWP didn't, we're better than that.

- Ronaldo was offside twice in that move and there were at least 6 other United players offside from the initial ball. Not sure what they can complain about. 

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Great points. 

To add.

- Had JWP swung at Bruno he'd have gone to turf holding his face. I'm glad JWP didn't, we're better than that.

- Ronaldo was offside twice in that move and there were at least 6 other United players offside from the initial ball. Not sure what they can complain about. 

It doesn't matter if it is accidental or didn't connect - it's the intent that is supposed to be punished and once again the "top 6" advantage comes into play. Also, agree nearly 5 MU players are off side by a mile and VAR take time to review but fail to see it from MU's advantage.

Completely agree - other way around and we are a man down and losing the game - where is that poster (and yes I know who he is) that claims there is no top 4/6 advantage?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

I've seen penalties given for less than Maguire's challenge, even without the stamp. My MU friend says it was accidental but looked deliberate enough to me

One can never be 100% sure but I suspect Maguire intended to put his foot down on Broja's leg but knew how to make it *look* accidental. To my mind, the giveaway was that he didn't do the 'looking back and putting his arms in the air' innocence act that players do when they realise they've accidentally trodden on someone's leg. When you accidentally tread on someone's leg you know you've done it and your natural reaction would be to turn around and check the player is ok. Maguire did neither. A cleverly disguised deliberate act IMO.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

Yep. Yellow at least. “strikes or attempts to strike” is a direct free kick.

2 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Just like to point out that Saints’ entire first XI today cost almost exactly the same as Paul Pogba.

United had 2 players who came through their youth system (McTominay and Rashford). They had 8 players who all cost more than our record signing. And Cristiano Ronaldo.

The annual wages of United's Sancho,Rashford, Fernandez , Ronaldo and Pogba is probably more than our team cost.

Those partnerships I mentioned after the Spurs game were very evident again today. We can add in the fact that Stevens came on at half time and paired up strongly with Salisu plus Tino came on at right back and KWP looked comfortable in the more advanced role. This side is growing. Another fine goal from Che from what was by no means an easy chance. We may give someone a bit of a battering soon if we can be more ruthless in front of goal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

I guess we'll never know if RH surviving the two 9-0s was down to those making the decisions having total faith in him or because the club couldn't afford to replace him, but we can count ourselves grateful he's still here.

Stability is everything (remember those days when we had 3 managers in 36 years?), it's taken a while but the last few months has seen the team performing at it's full potential and still improving game by game. We've seen nothing from the new owners yet to suggest any changes have been made by them, but their arrival (or Gao's departure) seem to have given the whole club a new lease of life. Now if we can just persuade RH that 58 is way too young an age to be considering retirement ....

With football contracts lasting three or four years it takes quite a while for the incumbent players to move on and a manager can arrive at a team of his choice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kevdoh said:

Romeu has to be the most underrated player in the league. He's immense. If he had a shot on him he would literally be the full package. So good on the ball in tight spaces I think he's probably in my top 5 favourite players of all time. I think he should be able to walk into any team I'm glad he doesn't get the recognition he should gwt

He has got a leathal karatekick though:)

We’re starting to look like the side who came out of lockdown and went on that ridiculous run of form. 

It’s strange, Ralph’s time here has been littered with runs of form where we’re either brilliant or absolutely diabolical. There seems to be no in between. 

Let’s keep this up and an FA cup could well be on the cards this season. I’d fancy us to beat anyone. 

Red Cafe post match comments is well worth a read 🙂 One disgruntled fan saying he'd rather have Che Adams up front than Ronaldo - I'll agree with him on that. Those who aren't all bitter and twisted are quite complimentary about us with some admitting we outplayed them and deserved to win whilst one suggests we made them look like the away team. One names Romeu as man of the match and another asks who'd have thought five Southampton players would get into Utd's starting eleven - think it was KWP, JWP, Romeu, Salisu and Broja.

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

Great points. 

To add.

I think the "big team" bias does exist, some may disagree but on balance decisions do tend to favour a side like ManU, at home, with 70k supporters on the referees back, some of whom actually live in Manchester rumour has it. The last 3 performances form us have been miraculous, where did they come from? I think KWP in particular, playing in his proper role has been fantastic, Perruad continues to grow into a very accomplished player, and Moi looks like a different player suddenly. I so pleased that Adams is getting goals, many doubted him previously, myself included, but the lad is developing into a first class footballer, his attitude, work rate and skill set are improving week on week. From an indifferent spell JWP is now playing his best football and Romeu is a rock in midfield. A mention must go to Forster who has been solid and reliable, we need to get a pen in his hand I feel. And Broja, despite some poor decision making sometimes  scares the shit out of any defense. A good spell form Saints, lets enjoy it while it lasts.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, kyle04 said:

I think the "big team" bias does exist, some may disagree but on balance decisions do tend to favour a side like ManU, at home, with 70k supporters on the referees back, some of whom actually live in Manchester rumour has it. The last 3 performances form us have been miraculous, where did they come from? I think KWP in particular, playing in his proper role has been fantastic, Perruad continues to grow into a very accomplished player, and Moi looks like a different player suddenly. I so pleased that Adams is getting goals, many doubted him previously, myself included, but the lad is developing into a first class footballer, his attitude, work rate and skill set are improving week on week. From an indifferent spell JWP is now playing his best football and Romeu is a rock in midfield. A mention must go to Forster who has been solid and reliable, we need to get a pen in his hand I feel. And Broja, despite some poor decision making sometimes  scares the shit out of any defense. A good spell form Saints, lets enjoy it while it lasts.

And you haven't even mentioned Salisu who is like a Rolls Royce at the back 🙂

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

And you haven't even mentioned Salisu who is like a Rolls Royce at the back 🙂

. Yes I know, but he's been great all season (mostly), the players I mentioned have greatly improved lately IMO, although on the down side I think we've left it too late to catch Citeh, maybe next season....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Is there a more loathsome player in the league than Fernades? Constantly in the ref's ear, every tackle against him he thinks his a foul, asking for opposition players to be booked. Horrible player. 

No there isn't. 'Orrible little c**t

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Is there a more loathsome player in the league than Fernades? Constantly in the ref's ear, every tackle against him he thinks his a foul, asking for opposition players to be booked. Horrible player. 

And the refs let him get away with it, game after game....

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

JWP has been absolutely incredible in the last few months. I wondered at the time and still do now, did he start the season with a hip or back injury that he's now recovered from?

Maybe a little injury affecting his mobility and the disappointment of missing out for England?

Diet problem. He’s now gluten free

22 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Brilliant atmosphere in our end today. Totally stifled them and reduced them to using pace to get in behind. In the end a fair result.

Ps Ronaldo is shot and Romeu is replaceable.

I thought Romeu was immense today, personally. Bossed it. Not just doing the destroyer role, his skill and technique playing out of tight spaces was/ is amazing. Could easily have got MOM today. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

I thought Romeu was immense today, personally. Bossed it. Not just doing the destroyer role, his skill and technique playing out of tight spaces was/ is amazing. Could easily have got MOM today. 

I meant to say IRREPLACIBLE lol. I agree. He is incredible and may be biased but candidate for best player in that position in the league. Love him.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, kevdoh said:

Stephens is decent 95% of the time it's the odd brain fart that lets him down. Love how he takes no bs off the so called bigger players. It's what you need sometimes. Think it was Fernandes last season he ripped into and made him look like a naughty school boy getting told off

And again today. Some great headers and clearances, but switched off and was nowhere to be seen for Sancho's goal.

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I can’t be the only Manchester United fan who hates watching Fernandes play. He is like a petulant teenager, whining, moaning, play-acting, harassing refs. Horrible individual 😡

^ That's a quote on the BBC website, it has 917 likes and only 30 dislikes. 

Good player, but awful awful sportsman, can't stand him. 

• Like 1