Man Utd 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

Brilliant second half display. Dominated for long spells and were easily the better side in that half. So nervous at the end that we would be robbed. Slightly disappointed we didn't win. Romeu was immense, as were a lot of players. KWP is playing out of his skin.

Honestly, with Broja up front, i can see us scoring against anyone. He is the best striker in the league right now. Scary what he brings to our game.  Che alongside him creates a really powerful forward line. 

We're not perfect, but we are a million miles better than earlier in the season. Love it. Can't wait to watch us again.

• Like 9

Let's have some love for Che Adams. Totally written off on here by some but he's got his head down and worked hard.  Would have been easy for him to have had a strop when AA and even Redmond were picked ahead of him at the start of the season.

His work rate and hold up play are excellent and he's improved his finishing. Great player!

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 25

Cracking performance and result.  It says something that I'm a little disappointed we didn't push on and win.  We didn't hold out, after weathering the first 25 minutes while working them out, we out played and out fought them.  So proud of them

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Stephens? Game over, switch over lads.

I simply don't get this attitude.  If its banter it's not funny.  If it's analysis it's inept.  If it's support it's weird.  Stephens was superb, nuff said.

18 minutes ago, trousers said:

It's not luck, the officials were never going to give that our way at old Trafford

Thought Atwell had a good game...but that was a penalty to me and a deliberate stamp.  I really felt he'd give it after standing up to the Man U whingers and divers all game.

16 minutes ago, DT said:

Fraser forster take a bow. Anyone who thinks he’s not number one needs to give their head a wobble

#obsessed

13 minutes ago, DT said:

Another terrific performance against another odious team. Romeu immense

Couldn't agree more.  Romeu my mom today

Edited by The Left Back
Romeu is not my mum - he was motm
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

Not quite at it today - the sharpness of touch and movement from midweek isn't there. Very open at the back - feels like United could run away with the game if they were more ruthless.

But it's only 1-0 and we've cobbled together some chances ourselves. Wouldn't count out a cheeky point. Not betting the house on it, though.

Cheeky.

Great effort to get through this run of fixtures (City, Spurs, United) unbeaten and bank 5 points.

Could've nicked it too. 

That's City, United, Spurs and West Ham played twice this season without defeat. Let's start putting the lesser teams to the sword now.

• Like 1

Stephens is decent 95% of the time it's the odd brain fart that lets him down. Love how he takes no bs off the so called bigger players. It's what you need sometimes. Think it was Fernandes last season he ripped into and made him look like a naughty school boy getting told off

• Like 2

Just now, Toadhall Saint said:

Man U could be a good team if they put as much effort into playing as they do bleating to the ref.

They have always been the same. I thought there was supposed to be Respect for referees (excluding Mike Dean, of course) so it's about time they started waving yellow and red cards for persistent moaners of which there are plenty at Old Trafford. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Brilliant second half display. Dominated for long spells and were easily the better side in that half. So nervous at the end that we would be robbed. Slightly disappointed we didn't win. Romeu was immense, as were a lot of players. KWP is playing out of his skin.

Honestly, with Broja up front, i can see us scoring against anyone. He is the best striker in the league right now. Scary what he brings to our game.  Che alongside him creates a really powerful forward line. 

We're not perfect, but we are a million miles better than earlier in the season. Love it. Can't wait to watch us again.

Agree about Broja. I also think we've got the best CB in the league, and three of the best FBs.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Saint_Tony said:

another great result, feels like it's finally coming together under Ralph. We haven't had a period of results like this for a few years. 

long may it continue. We look like we have lost all fear and we have players willing to be brave on the ball, Romeu, KWP, Eli and JWP all looking very comfortable spending that extra few seconds on the ball rather than treating it like a hit cake. The ball sticks up front too. 

5 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Did Tino play in front of KWP when he came on? If so how did it work out?

no. other way round and KWP looked very comfortable there, dribbling for fun. Tino didn't have long, so I maybe am being a little harsh, but I'm not convinced he's got back to full match fitness yet. He doesnt look quite as sharp as he did. KWP starts every time.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Makes me so happy to see Saints players totally bought into the system. Great team spirit and togetherness.

Several players absolutely running their guts out at 90+5 to preserve the result.

Contrast that with Utd. Full of World Cup winners, Euro winners, finalists from both competitions too.

What do you do with a team of stars with no team spirit, not willing to bust a gut for each other? A bunch of entitled whinging twats. Must be a nightmare to coach them (bank balance aside).

• Like 5

Just now, VictiAbNonem said:

Agree about Broja. I also think we've got the best CB in the league, and three of the best FBs.

Yeah.  Of course Ward-Prowse and Romeu are playing well, but the emergence of Salisu and Broja, combined with the quality of our full-backs, all three of them, have lifted the side greatly.

3 minutes ago, redkeith said:

He was, apart from not booking Shaw for throwing the ball away first half, and also shows pull back attempt on Broja in the 2nd. Just because Broja shrugged him off, it's still a booking

Cant see any issue with the ref from a saints perspective. Easily could have given a few saints players bookings later on but we came out without a single one so hard to complain about not giving Man U even more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Cant see any issue with the ref from a saints perspective. Easily could have given a few saints players bookings later on but we came out without a single one so hard to complain about not giving Man U even more.

Can someone explain the dissent laws to me. I thought they'd been tightened up in recent years to prevent players surrounding the ref and arguing against every decision? If there are laws against this they don't  seem to apply to Utd players. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Cracking performance and result.  It says something that I'm a little disappointed we didn't push on and win.  We didn't hold out, after weathering the first 25 minutes while working them out, we out played and out fought them.  So proud of them

I simply don't get this attitude.  If its banter it's not funny.  If it's analysis it's inept.  If it's support it's weird.  Stephens was superb, nuff said.

Thought Atwell had a good game...but that was a penalty to me and a deliberate stamp.  I really felt he'd give it after standing up to the Man U whingers and divers all game.

#obsessed

Couldn't agree more.  Romeu my mom today

Calm down sweetheart, my slating of Stephens was a common saintsweb trope of trying to tempt fate by being negative about a player in the hopes he has a great game. 

It worked. 

You're welcome.

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Good, there has to be a way Tino, KWP and Perraud can all fit in the same team.

right now, I'm not fussed about Tino getting in the side. I've said all along that KWP is a better defender, and going forward KWP is as good. He is tremendous form. He was dribbling past people for fun today. Tino will have to wait for his chance. Finally we are back to the days of Clyne and Chambers, if not better.

• Like 2

Europe? We have already played united, city, and spurs twice. Is it too late to make a run at it?

Also, a lot of talk about our fullbacks and strikers but JWP Romeu might be top 5 best midfields in the league. The list of top midfields they have dominated is growing.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man Utd 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic