Man Utd 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

We should be going into this with supreme confidence after tonight, and I honestly think Spurs are currently a better 'team' than they are so if we play like we did tonight there's no reason to think we can't beat them and exorcise the memory of that f**king horror show from last season.

I'd have snapped your hand off for two points from these two fixtures so going there with 3 already is a massive bonus.

After that we've got Everton at home and they look like a team that's already thrown the towel in to me. There's nobody in their squad with the stomach for a relegation battle and they are pinning all their hopes on a kid from their academy to pull them out of it.

• Like 1

I too would have snapped your hand off for 2 points from Spurs and this, so to already have 3 is a welcome bonus. Given their recent form I’ve got no doubt whatsoever that we come home with at least a point, especially if the team have the wind in their sails from tonight.

• Like 1

Would love to push on again and see another exciting display, but I think we've lost quite a lot of energy tonight and to turn that around again for Saturday will be tough.

Not expecting anything, but hoping for a surprise. Will be interesting to see how Ralph plays it as there will be quite a few players on empty after tonight.

• Like 4

Just now, Saint_clark said:

I'm pretty sure Redmond and Livramento were left out the squad with the specific intent of starting them Saturday.

I think Redmond had a knock. Either way after a performance like last night most managers would be reluctant to make changes. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Cat said:

They aren't as much a team as a collection of 11 random players, however they have some absolute quality and can easily score goals out of nothing.

I'd be delighted with a point.

No doubt the 9-0 from last season will be mentioned a lot as well without any context to the side we had out and the sending off decisions. 

Man Utd have had a bad week, fans moaning about not being able to beat Middlesbrough or bottom side Burnley, Saturday lunchtime games can be a bit flat which might suit us if energy levels low after last night, I think Ralph might make a few changes. Players should be buzzing though. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

I think Redmond had a knock. Either way after a performance like last night most managers would be reluctant to make changes. 

Had a kick on the ankle in training. Hasenhuttl said so in the pre-match interview on tv.

Didn't sound too serious so should be available on Saturday. We'll need him around either starting or on the bench because some from tonight, especially Armstrong, might struggle to put in another 90 minute shift on Saturday.

Plenty to go at on pundit build up bingo. And a load of wank about pressing.

9-0 of course plus a load of master vs apprentice stuff in the dug out etc etc.

For me, it would be lovely to go undefeated against Manchester in the league this season.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Had a kick on the ankle in training. Hasenhuttl said so in the pre-match interview on tv.

Didn't sound too serious so should be available on Saturday. We'll need him around either starting or on the bench because some from tonight, especially Armstrong, might struggle to put in another 90 minute shift on Saturday.

Yep, if fit I think Redmond will come in for Stu. Alternatively, this could be the game where we see Tino played higher up the pitch. 

Mixed feelings on this one. I've watched the last couple of United games and in both they should've been out of sight by half time. At some point they're going to put away their chances. History says it could well be against us. 3 games in a week might be a bridge too far. And, I've lost count of the times we've been screwed over by the ref at Old Trafford. They'll have had an extra day to recover.

That being said we're better than both Burnley and Boro. We raise our game against the big teams. We created so many chances last night. After last season motivation will be high. Pogba gives it away against our press a lot. Broja versus Maguire could be hilariously mismatched. Ronaldo and Fernandes can cancel each other out.

It really could go either way.

Heart says we're due something up there. Head says Ralph's decision to give the team a week off training might have been a masterstroke.

Man Utd 1-3 Saints

20 minutes ago, JRM said:

No doubt the 9-0 from last season will be mentioned a lot as well without any context to the side we had out and the sending off decisions. 

Of course it will, and so it should be - getting spanked 9 nil twice is a disgrace (context or no context) so we have to accept that we'll get the piss ripped out of us. Thicken your skin. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

It would be great to give Tino a go infront of Kwp, perfect if Stu's rested, we looked so much better balanced with Kwp and Perroud natural sided. I guess though it would probably be the same as last night bar Redmond in for Stu

I've never been a fan of the idea as Tino strength has been running from deep past forwards who can't defend, but I'd rather see him given a go down the right than any other option if Stu is out. 

loving the confidence on here. Main concern is we played with real high intensity last night with arguably the strongest 11 we could put out. As poor as Utd have been by their standards, with an extra days rest, think they will just edge it.

Utd 2-1 Saints (Ronaldo pen 41, Pogba 58, Ward-Prowse 80)

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

I've never been a fan of the idea as Tino strength has been running from deep past forwards who can't defend, but I'd rather see him given a go down the right than any other option if Stu is out. 

Agree with this. Although, I do think with a bit of work and exposure to that role, he could do well there. 

He’s quick, strong and seems decent enough on the ball. 

His best position is RWB in a back 3, imo. 

Nice to have this as a bit of a free hit. Was desperate for us to win one of these two (as a real statement result) and we've already done that.

Curious to see degree of rotation given the sharp turnaround. Ralph didn't seem too trusting of his bench yesterday and we don't know if any of the missing will be back. Equally in past Armstrong has picked up knocks in (sat/wed/sat) turnarounds. So do you rotate to protect against injuries.

9 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Nice to have this as a bit of a free hit. Was desperate for us to win one of these two (as a real statement result) and we've already done that.

Curious to see degree of rotation given the sharp turnaround. Ralph didn't seem too trusting of his bench yesterday and we don't know if any of the missing will be back. Equally in past Armstrong has picked up knocks in (sat/wed/sat) turnarounds. So do you rotate to protect against injuries.

2 full days to recover on back of two weeks rest for most prior to that. Same side please and Stu A will tire but don’t mess with line up. Perraud and Ely working very well on left.

• Like 4

We are riding high but I think this will be tougher than some think. We have played a lot of minutes in a short period of time. Would be nice to see basically the same team (with Tino imo) but I think a bit of rotation will be needed, a lot of effort was expended against spurs.

• Like 1

If we get the same level of performance as we did last night I'll be happy no matter what the score.  United will have to be very good to beat us if we play to the same standards, and we will also be in with a chance of getting something.  

Let's not get carried away. Utd away is a tough gig. Lot of our players will be running on empty from 60 mins onwards.

Tino for Perraud and Redmond for Elyounoussi is pretty obvious. Maybe start with Diallo to replace S Armstrong or Romeu at some point.

This really is a free hit, so it may be a good opportunity for Smallbone.

Grind out a draw that will be good.

3 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Let's not get carried away. Utd away is a tough gig. Lot of our players will be running on empty from 60 mins onwards.

Tino for Perraud and Redmond for Elyounoussi is pretty obvious. Maybe start with Diallo to replace S Armstrong or Romeu at some point.

How unfit do you think they are? It's only a second game in three days for many of them, hardly unprecedented. The 'extra day to recover' line often gets trotted out but it doesn't seem to translate into an actual difference all that often.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

How unfit do you think they are? It's only a second game in three days for many of them, hardly unprecedented. The 'extra day to recover' line often gets trotted out but it doesn't seem to translate into an actual difference all that often.

Exactly. Pathetic how many think players cannot play 2 games 3 days apart. The modern fan swallowing the bollocks spouted from Tuchel et al

Edited by whelk

4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Plenty to go at on pundit build up bingo. And a load of wank about pressing.

9-0 of course plus a load of master vs apprentice stuff in the dug out etc etc.

For me, it would be lovely to go undefeated against Manchester in the league this season.

I would have thought they would of made more of the apprentice/master thing before now. Mind you probably better not mentioned if the apprentice is doing better with the resources at his disposal 😉

46 minutes ago, macca155 said:

James ward prowse will not be running on empty after 60 mins so neither should anyone else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, macca155 said:

isn't that the point of the players hardly featuring against Coventry?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

James ward prowse will not be running on empty after 60 mins so neither should anyone else.

Jwp is a machine. One of the fittest and most reliable players in the premier league if not Europe. Cant judge everyone by his standards 

8 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Expecting to see Redmond in for Elyounoussi and Livramento in for Perraud with KWP to left back but other than that I can't see any changes that would be justifiable. 

I don't think so, no manager will change a winning team certainly not one that gelled so successfully as last night.

As for Mo Elyounoussi, on last night's showing he is undroppable. He and Stuart Armstrong were the most formidable 10's pairing we have fielded all season.

11 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

What standards should they be judge against then? Second rate ones when it comes to fitness?

Average premier league player standards. Playing two games with only 2 days gap between them will, in general, cause a player to play worse. 

That's true of almost all players, not JWP as he is ridiculous. It's not fair to say "why don't all our players have the same fitness levels as JWP" for the same reason it's unfair to say "why don't all our players score goals like Haaland" or "why don't all our players take free kicks like JWP". We shouldn't let having one of the best players at a given thing give us unreasonable expectations. Rotation will be needed imo.

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Correct. The likes of Liverpool play Mane/Salah/VVD/Trent/Robertson/Fabinho in CL games then immediately again in PL games.

It makes me wonder why some of ours can't do that in one-off weeks like this one.

One thing I do think is that perhaps good players take a 1-0/2-0 lead in the first half then don't need to exert as much pressure to see off games, or because they are better they make less mistakes technically, so naturally the physical exertions are less too. 

You can tell we did put in a lot last night, got a really good 2nd wind from somewhere to see off the game.

3 hours ago, whelk said:

2 full days to recover on back of two weeks rest for most prior to that. Same side please and Stu A will tire but don’t mess with line up. Perraud and Ely working very well on left.

I'm with you, but I don't get why Stu A tires more than others. I can only assume it's his fitness, or perhaps a lingering covid issue. 

38 minutes ago, TWar said:

Average premier league player standards. Playing two games with only 2 days gap between them will, in general, cause a player to play worse. 

That's true of almost all players, not JWP as he is ridiculous. It's not fair to say "why don't all our players have the same fitness levels as JWP" for the same reason it's unfair to say "why don't all our players score goals like Haaland" or "why don't all our players take free kicks like JWP". We shouldn't let having one of the best players at a given thing give us unreasonable expectations. Rotation will be needed imo.

So second rate then? Oh and please define average? 

42 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I don't think so, no manager will change a winning team certainly not one that gelled so successfully as last night.

As for Mo Elyounoussi, on last night's showing he is undroppable. He and Stuart Armstrong were the most formidable 10's pairing we have fielded all season.

Its been reported Redmond has an ankle injury

2 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

So second rate then? Oh and please define average? 

I dunno, the middle fitness for the league. Not especially fit, not especially unfit. In our team, KWP maybe? Misses a few games, needs a rest occassionally but is pretty reliable.

It doesn't really matter specifically, just not comparing them to the absolute best of the best and then being disappointed when they don't measure up.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

I dunno, the middle fitness for the league. Not especially fit, not especially unfit. In our team, KWP maybe? Misses a few games, needs a rest occassionally but is pretty reliable.

It doesn't really matter specifically, just not comparing them to the absolute best of the best and then being disappointed when they don't measure up.

I’m not expecting them to match up with the terminator but I expect them to be able to compete fitness wise for 180 mins. 90 either side of a 2/3 day break. They are professional athletes after all.

56 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Agreed, I think we have to start Perraud and Moi down the left after that last night. They seemed to have a great understanding. 

United are fragile and don’t seem to graft for each other. Take the game to them and don’t let them have it their way, they’ll soon by moaning at each other. Need to be better at putting our chances away though. 

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man Utd 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic