Man Utd 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

The result some of us expected after Wednesday night's performance. We looked leggy at the start but rallied really well with our second wind and took the game to them when they lost their concentration. Superbly worked equaliser and brilliant finish from Adams. Broja was not quite there today but did enough to panic their defence more than once.

I must admit our line out routine against free kicks scares the willies out of me and it amazes that opposition teams haven't figured out how to beat the tactic.

Now for a rest for us and the team. We have become a very good team and seem to have a genuine chance of beating anybody home or away. Roll on Everton, play like we have this past week or so and we should be comfortable winners next weekend. Let's suggest 3-0 for openers?

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

right now, I'm not fussed about Tino getting in the side. I've said all along that KWP is a better defender, and going forward KWP is as good. He is tremendous form. He was dribbling past people for fun today. Tino will have to wait for his chance. Finally we are back to the days of Clyne and Chambers, if not better.

Perraud?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Cant see any issue with the ref from a saints perspective. Easily could have given a few saints players bookings later on but we came out without a single one so hard to complain about not giving Man U even more.

yep. There was one challenge by Romeu from behind that could possibly have been a yellow. Perraud pulled Ronaldo back too. He let stuff go and booked players when they needed to, I assume Shaw got a booking for pulling Broja's shirt? If not, that was an error.

Just now, trousers said:

Can someone explain the dissent laws to me. I thought they'd been tightened up in recent years to prevent players surrounding the ref and arguing against every decision? If there are laws against this they don't  seem to apply to Utd players. 

Silly thing is with 5 mins left to play Pogba and the utd brains trust spent 3 mins acting like schoolkids to the ref. I remember the days you'd have to take the ball to the corner flag to use up time. These numpties did it for us, with the ref laughing at them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Ref had a good game, but I do think it was a pen by Maguire on Broja.There was also a disappointing moment when Broja had his shirt pulled right in JWP territory but the ref played advantage. We got a corner, but compared with a JWP free kick 25 yards out and central that's no advantage. I think the ref almost brought it back, except for the corner

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Europe? We have already played united, city, and spurs twice. Is it too late to make a run at it?

Also, a lot of talk about our fullbacks and strikers but JWP Romeu might be top 5 best midfields in the league. The list of top midfields they have dominated is growing.

Romeu has to be the most underrated player in the league. He's immense. If he had a shot on him he would literally be the full package. So good on the ball in tight spaces I think he's probably in my top 5 favourite players of all time. I think he should be able to walk into any team I'm glad he doesn't get the recognition he should gwt

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

No passengers today, just like on Wednesday. We saw a group of players who were playing as a team, for each other No panic, no just getting rid of the ball for the sake of it. I’d like to think that other top sides are looking at our performances with envy.

that is the big difference. Players like Romeu and KWP, putting their foot on it, and picking a pass out of congested areas. No hoofing over your shoulder like Delap used to do. Genuine quality on the ball, and bravery as WGS used to say. Got to keep the ball and then you can break, which we did well. Romeu needs a new contract IMO.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Calm down sweetheart, my slating of Stephens was a common saintsweb trope of trying to tempt fate by being negative about a player in the hopes he has a great game. 

It worked. 

You're welcome.

Ah irony. Fair enough, I don’t often follow match threads during the game so wasn’t aware of this cultural gem. Thanks for advising me and more importantly for causing Jack to Play so well.

And “sweetheart”. Is that another laugh out loud trope? 

ps I’m far too happy with the team to calm down 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shroppie said:

He wasn't booked, and I agree with you. The ref should also have brought it back when there was no advantage for a free kick central and 25 yards out

Other than that blatant error, I can’t complain with Atwell- maybe being a top half team earns you better decisions…

Just like to point out that Saints’ entire first XI today cost almost exactly the same as Paul Pogba.

United had 2 players who came through their youth system (McTominay and Rashford). They had 8 players who all cost more than our record signing. And Cristiano Ronaldo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shroppie said:

He wasn't booked, and I agree with you. The ref should also have brought it back when there was no advantage for a free kick central and 25 yards out

the ref saw it and you could see him thinking about giving it...I just assumed he did, off camera. 

Another superb performance from the boys. This team now has that very important component of a strong spine and boy does it show. To come away from Old Trafford slightly disappointed with a draw shows the progress we are making. Now we need to make the most of our easier upcoming games so that this effort is not for nothing. We should be looking upwards now rather than over our shoulder. This is a very good football team and very good entertainment value as well. Hats off to Ralph and the coaching staff. Proud of this club right now.

Edited by Teddeer
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, kevdoh said:

Romeu has to be the most underrated player in the league. He's immense. If he had a shot on him he would literally be the full package. So good on the ball in tight spaces I think he's probably in my top 5 favourite players of all time. I think he should be able to walk into any team I'm glad he doesn't get the recognition he should gwt

The commentator said that Romeu had a Champion’s League medal from sitting on the bench when Chelsea beat Bayern Munich on penalties in 2012. The same match that Bertrand earned his winner’s medal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

They had 8 players who all cost more than our record signing. And Cristiano Ronaldo.

I was looking through their team sheet earlier and basically thinking the exact same thing. Other than two academy players, every single one of them would have been comfortably our record signing.

8 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Broja was not quite there today but did enough to panic their defence more than once.

I must admit our line out routine against free kicks scares the willies out of me and it amazes that opposition teams haven't figured out how to beat the tactic.

I thought Broja has a great game. Ran rings round Maguire.

Agree about the defending. I hate it. Everyone knows we do it. Just run from deep. Some sides have worked it out. Not united though, thankfully.

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The commentator said that Romeu had a Champion’s League medal from sitting on the bench when Chelsea beat Bayern Munich on penalties in 2012. The same match that Bertrand earned his winner’s medal.

I heard that and didn't realise he was there that season, never mind on the bench. Chelsea have sold us some right players in recent years.

Nice having the skate Darke having to praise us for two games in a row.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

What did we pay for him? 5m rings a bell. Has to be one of the best signings value wise. Love the man 

• Like 1

How do we communicate to refs that if we're fouled just outside their penalty area, it is NO advantage to continue play?!  Since we can't, maybe the team should simply stop playing if there's a foul there.  JWP has, on current form, at least a 25% chance of scoring.

Happy days, friends.

Elyounoussi had another really good game. I think he typifies our recent resurgence. He's been bold, positive, hardworking and never afraid to get stuck in. He's showing some skills too; he picked out Broja on the right wing near the end of the first half with what what was one of the best passes of the game. He and Perraud, who also played very well, are looking so good on the left together. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Not as bad as other match day threads but still the mongs out in force on this site

Ref biased, Stephens on & 'fans' think it's game over ... dreary me!

Many of the posts in the match thread are either tongue in cheek, gallows humour, or reacting to things happening live that we haven't seen a replay of yet. Emotions run high. Sometimes it's not fair to go back at full time and pick fault.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

KWP from the BBC 

I'm just happy being on the pitch playing in a variety of positions - left- back, right-back, No 10.

his happiness is showing. Playing very well. Love how well he keeps the ball, coming inside if need be, never hoofing it aimlessly down the line. Like to get a few goals out of him...

• Like 2

Great point and with some more composure might have taken a deserved lead as the match went on. 

Though JWP and Romeu again got through some exceptional work and nullified their midfield. Pogba disappearing up his own arse after the first 30 mins. Saints out ran United by 5km despite having a day less recovery #fit

Ref had a good game and was strong despite the home crowd and players giving it plenty. 

Stunning week for Saints, through to the next round of the cup and 4pts from two tricky away games. I might have a beer or two tonight. Enjoy the rest of the weekend fellow Saints! 

Edited by jasonb
  • Like 5

I love this team. For years, we've have mediocre, big ego players giving post-match interviews promising changes and nothing happening. These guys do it on the pitch.

Romeu's my man of the match. He's elite, better than Wanyama was in that he isn't just an excellent ball winner, but can play with the ball too and contributes in us keeping the ball up the pitch, which is another element of defending. He's not getting the big move at 30, so it's now a question of how long he can keep this up for, like it was with Steven Davis, albeit a different player.

I think that McCarthy is unfairly criticised on here, like Stephens is, who put in another good performance today, coming on at half time with some calling game over at his presence on the pitch. But, Forster was on another level today and pulled off some very good stops in midweek too. He's looking like the Forster before the big contract again, who would pull off important saves if the Alderweireld/Fonte/Schneiderlin/Wanyama wall in front of him was broken and contributed to our brilliant defensive record of that period.

Adams is also coming on leaps and bounds now. Today's finish was one you'd have expected to come from Ings in previous years with Adams known more for his power shots. But he put it away clinically. The goals compliment his all round game, which has been excellent in recent weeks.

Broja's on another level. Once he adds the goals to all the chances that he creates himself, he will be world class.

Four points from Tottenham and Manchester United away, we'll take that. Maybe our top form is to come in the second half of this season. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

What a great performance, we weren't hugely different from the Spurs performance in terms of our approach, I felt Utd had more of a threat though.

First half we struggled to start with, Utd were moving it very quickly and we struggled to get near them. We were off it by a yard or so. For some reason, not complaining, Utd just stopped with the quick play and went a bit more passive - similar to how Spurs played against us, and it played into our hands really. All of a sudden we started finding time on the ball, space was popping up in between the lines etc.

2nd half went the same way, great start with the early goal but that was produced through Moi picking up space in between the lines and leaving their centre backs caught in between two minds. I thought we had the better chances in the second half, although Utd were always a threat on the break as they had pace - that was the main difference between today and Wednesday I felt, the pace they had in the attack always kept them in the game but we stuck at it ourselves.

Tactically spot on, the mentality and application of the 11 absolutely spot on. There are partnerships all over the pitch.

Special mention to Forster who is currently in his best form since 2016 without question. If he doesn't stay here he is playing himself into a decent contract elsewhere, that's for sure.

• Like 4

Stephens was superb when he came on. 

Him, Ely, Forster - great to see players who have struggled in the past showing what they can actually do when they come into a well-organised, brave side brimming with confidence and belief. 

Having them show their quality really adds depth to the squad, its like making some solid new signings. 

• Like 4

Rangnick "We have to understand where we are. [Southampton] won 2-3 at Tottenham, and they expected to win easily. We got a point today; we expected three and needed three, but that is the situation. That is why there was a change of manager and why we are here."

Lol, I'm guessing he meant Spurs but sounds like he's suggesting Saints expected 3 against United.

• Haha 2

What a performance.! Yet again our players ran their hearts out. Difficult to pick a MOTM but please consider Che. Holding the ball up, defending as if his life depends on it and scoring yet again just has to be recognised as excellent.  When will a Referee have the balls to hold up a yellow when the 'whinging wankers' of the top six are in his face? Pogba cost more than out whole team put together but 'commitment' by our lads can't be bought and is priceless. We now have a team that isn't in any way scared of the 'big money boys'. Manure got lucky today and with the help of the Referee still couldn't capitalise .

As we used to say in the Dell Days 'Pretty to watch Nipper'.     

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

They have always been the same. I thought there was supposed to be Respect for referees (excluding Mike Dean, of course) so it's about time they started waving yellow and red cards for persistent moaners of which there are plenty at Old Trafford. 

The first such red would solve the problem, but imagine the post- match bleating that would follow if it was ManUtd or the Scousers.

• Like 1

The Southampton of the last three league games has completely taken me by surprise. I've wanted to believe all season that we're better than our results, but I didn't think we were this good. We've not only taken five points off those three games; we've also dominated these at least half billion pound squads for long periods, especially in the last two games, with our hundred million pound squad. None of them have looked close to us in teamwork, spirit and effort.

• Like 3

I think the ref did well if you look at this match in isolation. Perhaps Broja could have had a pen but a difficult one. 

But when you look at some of the decisions against us this year, had this game been refereed the same way, Rashford and Fernandes would have definitely been sent off and we'd have been awarded a penalty too.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1

I guess we'll never know if RH surviving the two 9-0s was down to those making the decisions having total faith in him or because the club couldn't afford to replace him, but we can count ourselves grateful he's still here.

Stability is everything (remember those days when we had 3 managers in 36 years?), it's taken a while but the last few months has seen the team performing at it's full potential and still improving game by game. We've seen nothing from the new owners yet to suggest any changes have been made by them, but their arrival (or Gao's departure) seem to have given the whole club a new lease of life. Now if we can just persuade RH that 58 is way too young an age to be considering retirement ....

For early parts of the game I was thinking that this game wasn't going to go our way, every loose ball seemed to fall at the feet of a United player. We also seemed slightly knackered from the spurs game, but Ralph has somehow introduced some grit and determination along with a good dose of belief. 

Another great result, well done all involved. 

Just now, SaintBobby said:

God damn, we are bloody good at the moment. 👍👍👍

Just looking at the table.  Always scope for things to go wrong, but I wonder if we carry on playing like we are, perhaps 7th place looks possible.  

Another great performance and we ran United ragged at times.  United's discipline was terrible and were lucky to come away with only 4 yellow cards. 

We should have had a penalty - and McGuire a red card -  if  the Broja incident had been on any other ground than Old Trafford.      VAR was a disgrace.

We might have had all 3 points, but sadly not so and Stuart Armstrong wasted 3 of the best chances in the game. 

A great week and Saints looking like a new team without having spent a fortune in the window. 

United on the other hand continue to spend hundreds of millions every year, but still don't have a proper team yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Just looking at the table.  Always scope for things to go wrong, but I wonder if we carry on playing like we are, perhaps 7th place looks possible.  

We would need a few above us to implode to reach 7th, plus the teams immediately above us have games in hand. 

13 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Just seen a replay of Bruno's scuffle with JWP. He took a huge swing at JWP and missed. Surely even missing there was intent for violent conduct?

I saw it happen during the game but from another angle and didn't realize just how much of a swing it was.

Did JWP pinch him?

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man Utd 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic