Rip David Armstrong

Chris cooper

Watching the Leicester game and one of their players goes down in the box, looks up and then writhes around in pain. Can you imagine DA doing that? And the others too. Modern football isn’t real, just fuxking panto really. Shame, used to be a man’s game.  

• Like 3

I can only echo the comments already made. I was 12 when he rocked up at the Dell. Brilliant played and bloody nice bloke. Blackburn Friday night, the cross at Pompey and that winner in the man utd game when he burst into the penalty area from nowhere at the Milton end. Definitely one of my favourite players of that era. If he was injured or suspended you knew we would be well off normal form without him.

Definitely thanks for the memories Dave mate. Some of the best years of my life.  

• Like 1

Oh no! That is a shock.

My sympathies to his family.

One of my all-time favourites. I won't call him un-sung because all who followed his career, even remotely, will have been impressed by his performances and his record.

Good for around 12 goals a season from mid field with a thumping shot- probably helped by his physique! He always seemed extremely fit and his record of consecutive appearances bears this out. I can picture him clearing off the line and moments later firing in a goal-bound shot while few had noticed his advance up the pitch.

R.I.P., David, and thanks. You will always be remembered and for all the right reasons.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2022 at 08:03, 100%Red&White said:

29 minutes ago, Victor said:

I can picture him clearing off the line and moments later firing in a goal-bound shot while few had noticed his advance up the pitch.

With that goal against the scousers he was involved at the start of the move on the edge of our box and again moments later on the edge of theirs at the finish. Underrated by ‘outsiders’, admired by most of us.

Years ago I went on a Saints ‘Soccerscope’ football holiday. DA did a guest appearance with a bit of training. Receiving a pass from him which I promptly dispatched into the net is something I’ll never forget. He was without doubt one of my favourite players and what a player he was. RIP David, taken too young.

• Like 1

Very sad news.

Armstrong scored the first goal I ever saw as a kid at The Dell against Coventry in 1985, absolute bullet header.

Later that season he played in charity cricket match which I attended, someone hit a six and a pint glass smashed covering me in glass, Dave Armstrong made sure I was okay and introduced me to the whole team.

Great footballer and good bloke. RIP

• Like 1

On 23/08/2022 at 10:08, alehouseboys said:

With that goal against the scousers he was involved at the start of the move on the edge of our box and again moments later on the edge of theirs at the finish. Underrated by ‘outsiders’, admired by most of us.

That's a good observation, and typifies the workload and ground he covered.

His work often went unnoticed though, especially from those outside the club, because he did it in a fairly tireless way without the histrionics you see now. Also I think appearance, people saw a balding, and fairly chunky bloke going about his work, and it didn't look athletic etc. I suspect the Opta stats for him though if they were available might have told a different story in ground covered etc

At the time he signed for us I was living in the north east and friendly with a Middlesbrough ST holder who told me that the season before he left, Armstrong had been their LB, LM, and LW, dominating that side of the pitch for them. Naturally they were sorry to see him go, but I recall his return with Saints to Ayresome Park in January 1982 (game we went top of the table from) and he received a good reception from Boro fans.

Same Boro fan also said that the 'word' from those close to the club was that 'Spike' was joining Sunderland with fees and contracts agreed. Then it was announced he was joining Saints, suggestion that it he wanted a really new start for him and his family. We'll never know if it was Lawrie's silver tongue that persuaded him to uproot and come south or for personal reasons. Just glad he did really, and we had the pleasure of seeing him in that team with Channon, Ball, KK and all. 

• Like 1

On 22/08/2022 at 09:10, gammon cheeks said:

Remember going to Blackburn on the first televised friday night game in FA Cup. ..Dave Armstrong scored the winner ! Best team we ever had ...brilliant player RIP.

Would be in a best ever 11 without doubt. Very intelligent footballer and very skilful.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2022 at 18:52, Whitey Grandad said:

Some of the Man U fans joined in with the applause too once they’d cottoned on.

Fat bloke and son next to me stayed seated and silent. Spent rest of match trying to work out if they really were ManU.  Mainly a little polite applause now and again for Saints and stayed silent for the goal so still undecided. Bloody rude and ignorant if he was Saints.

I'm not really a fan of these 'clap in the 10th minute'-type tributes. As one of our greatest players in our greatest ever team I think he deserved a minute's applause before the game. It would be much easier for those of us who remember him to focus properly on his loss than to try to do so while the game is going on.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Big Ron fan said:

I'm not really a fan of these 'clap in the 10th minute'-type tributes. As one of our greatest players in our greatest ever team I think he deserved a minute's applause before the game. It would be much easier for those of us who remember him to focus properly on his loss than to try to do so while the game is going on.

Agree.

And keep it for Saints players/servants; cut out the political, the over-sentimental, wasn't-it-a-tragedy ones and applauding someone you know absolutely nothing about.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...