Rip David Armstrong

Chris cooper

Very sad indeed.

Never forget that goal vs Man UTD at The Dell when he arrived from nowhere and blasted it past the keeper. 
He also was heavily involved in our greatest goal ever scored by a Saint. (Channon vs Liverpool)

RIP David and thank you for the memories.

• Like 4

Sad news , and a great shame.

As others have said, an important part of probably our greatest team who contributed much to that side and for the rest of the 1980's and his time with us.

Spoke to him in The Dell car park once when calling in for tickets, very unassuming and friendly. Always spoke well on  Solent, I was surprised he didn't pursue a career in management, although in hindsight he was probably too intelligent to put himself forward for it.

RIP David, thanks for the memories from a glorious era.

18 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Very sad indeed.

Never forget that goal vs Man UTD at The Dell when he arrived from nowhere and blasted it past the keeper. 
He also was heavily involved in our greatest goal ever scored by a Saint. (Channon vs Liverpool)

RIP David and thank you for the memories.

Definitely two stand out moments, but he served the club so well helping the change from Lawrie's side to Chris Nicholl's for whom he played LM, LB, and sweeper in the same season (and I think he still ended up top scorer).

• Like 1

Absolute gentleman and the epitome of the complete attacking midfielder.  Only 67, so well before his time, always bloody awful news. David Armstrong scored 15 odd goals in each of his first two seasons with Saints and was player of the year in 83/84 - the star studded year we finished second in the top flight.  What price that kind of ability now?  Scores of footballing memories of DA at the Dell, and meeting him on a few occasions outside football following his retirement - quiet, modest, and unassuming but a very special talent in a very special Saints side. RIP Spike!   

So sad to hear this. Such a good player. Remember going to one of my first Saints games at Portman Road in December 1984 and was able to go into the changing room before the match and meet all the players.  He scored the only goal of the game in the second half. After that, seven year old me was well and truly hooked on Saints forever. 

Great player in our best ever era. Two overriding memories of him as a Saint. Fantastic ball to Moran at Fratton for the win and being offside for Keegans  scissor kick against Man U. Never met him myself but many lads I know knew him through work and only ever had good things to say. RIP David a true Saints Legend and thoughts to his family. 

• Like 1

To a younger me, he wasn't a star name like a Keegan, Ball or a Channon. He wasn't one of really talented youngsters like a Moran, Wright or Williams. But he was consistently excellent in our best ever teams, and another of Lawrie's very shrewd signings. A very clever, versatile player who could support others, as well as get on the score sheet himself. Such sad news. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.

Very sad news. A brilliant player, who would have had a lot of England caps in any other era, but was so unlucky( as was Steve Williams)  to have Robson, Wilkins and  Hoddle around  at the same time.
If youngsters  want to learn how to score goals from midfield, a few videos of Dave will do the job.

RIP