The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

43 minutes ago, Turkish said:

i fear he might have a tough job winning the fans over, remember how some didnt like Puel from day one because they found his interviews boring! Hopefully if he comes in the fans give him a chance and support him

He’s got no chance. Most have made their mind up already. 

I suspect those who’ll be calling for his head after a couple of defeats will be the same as those who made every excuse under the sun to defend Ralph. 

we all wanted someone bigger, but it is what it is and we need to get behind the manager. 

47 minutes ago, Turkish said:

i fear he might have a tough job winning the fans over, remember how some didnt like Puel from day one because they found his interviews boring! Hopefully if he comes in the fans give him a chance and support him

No because that’s a myth and it never happened. Poch didn’t even speak English and most would agree he’s the best managed we’ve had in the PL era. Some people didn’t like Puel from day one because they found his football boring, not his interviews.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, DT said:

The one thing the fans need to do is welcome him tonight, if he's there. Any boos are very counterproductive.

I'm much more optimistic now having read up and watched him in interview than I was when he was first rumoured to be the one (although that may yet change). It's a gamble, but I quite admire the owners chutzpah in going against the grain and hopefully opting for the long-term rather than short term gain. Although of course survival is an absolute must. Not that that would be guaranteed with, say, Dyche. (if he would even have taken the job)

I don't think there's any danger that he won't be welcomed or supported. He wouldn't have been my pick, but if he's appointed, he'll get my 100% support. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

It's so fucking Saints to get in a manager just before a 1 month break. Our new manager bounce will only happen in any friendly kickabouts arranged during the WC. 😂 

Yes, so wise to have the new manager in time for an uninterrupted month with the players. Excellent timing!

• Like 3

The Premier League is the pinnacle for any player or manager. There are only 20 managers jobs available to the millions of managers out there. We also paid our last manager handsomely....
So, I would like to think that we have had 100's of applicants since Ralph departed. Surely we haven't already made our minds up on Jones without speaking to him or others, so I would hope we will be interviewing many of the standout applicants over the coming days.

54 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

It's so fucking Saints to get in a manager just before a 1 month break. Our new manager bounce will only happen in any friendly kickabouts arranged during the WC. 😂 

Probably a good thing - we are the only club that never gets the 'bounce'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

No not a final judgement as such, but it will likely tell us how he wants the team setup and playing tactically.  If we continue with the tippy tappy backwards/ sideways passing with slow build-ups and counterattacks I’ll not have high expectations for our continued place in EPL or my resilience to continue watching boring inevitable losses.

It sounds like NJ will skip the tippy tappy bit and go straight to the bit where Bazunu hoofs it up front and we lose it 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 07/11/2022 at 21:39, Saint Garrett said:

What’s the issue with him being religious? Have I missed something? I’ve seen a few people mention being religious as a big issue? 

Nothing really. It's a bit embarrassing for the club, but it's his business (unless he starts preeching in interviews). Lots of players are in the god squad these days, they think they're only footballers because of the man in the sky.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

I suspect those who’ll be calling for his head after a couple of defeats will be the same as those who made every excuse under the sun to defend Ralph. 

If it happens (big if), then it won't be the ones showing patience in Ralph that do it. It will be the ones jumping up and down throwing abuse, jeering, and generally hoping we lose each week so Ralph would get fired...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kitch said:

Nothing really. It's a bit embarrassing for the club, but it's his business (unless he starts preeching in interviews). Lots of players are in the god squad these days, they think they're only footballers because of the man in the sky.

Got a glen hoddle Eileen drewry feeling about it already !

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

If it happens (big if), then it won't be the ones showing patience in Ralph that do it. It will be the ones jumping up and down throwing abuse, jeering, and generally hoping we lose each week so Ralph would get fired...

Hey thanks for the abuse when I told you several times we were in for Jones. Also Eddie Howe but you carried on taking the piss out of me.

People like you scare those ITK.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kitch said:

Most are not in his particular squad though!!!

50 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Hey thanks for the abuse when I told you several times we were in for Jones. Also Eddie Howe but you carried on taking the piss out of me.

Think you're getting a tad confused here Pilchards. I didn't abuse you or anyone else for being ITK or claiming to be ITK, and to my knowledge i have neither doubted nor backed anyone claiming Jones would be our new manager - he isn't yet? 🤷‍♂️. I actually really appreciate the itk snippets we get on this forum.

Although, hopefully you weren't someone hoping we lose each week - that is something i did take objection to...

"Scare those ITK" - Aside from you going after the wrong guy here, for your own good, either grow a thicker skin or be prepared to not post stuff to an internet football forum - if you're going to post rumours/opinions then you've got to expect someone to question/doubt you on them. If that causes you ire then its probably not worth doing.

Side note - Eddie Howe has never been saints manager, and is unlikely to be now 🙈

Edited by Saint86

3 hours ago, Dman said:

He’s got no chance. Most have made their mind up already. 

we all wanted someone bigger, but it is what it is and we need to get behind the manager. 

Weird, given that the majority of this forum wanted Ralph gone, and the majority seem to be unhappy with the potential replacement, perhaps it’s not the same people who were still supporting the manager…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

If you are as you suggest ITK then pray tell us if it is only the Luton Hoo being interviewed or are there others? 

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Weird, given that the majority of this forum wanted Ralph gone, and the majority seem to be unhappy with the potential replacement, perhaps it’s not the same people who were still supporting the manager…

Is it the majority of the forum who wanted Ralph gone? Or the majority of the forum who are unhappy with the potential replacement? Or just the noisy attention seekers? You know what they say about empty vessels...

Whether anyone on here likes it, or not, SR are the ones making the appointment, and if that's their choice, the only way to change that choice would be to buy them out. I wonder if they would listen to offers?

🤣🤣🤣 I just tried to go on the official Southampton FC 'live' website to see if there is any news. Unless it's my computer, the site seems to be down - with the words (and I quote)  "SOMETHING HAS GONE WRONG". You're telling me it has!!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Should have sacked Ralph either after Man City or Crystal Palace and given Selles a chance with a run of 6 or 3 games to see what he could do, but hey we didn't, still looking forward to see what Nathan Jones can do though.

The tactical skillful Selles and the man manageable Jones.

The futures bright, the futures red and white

So say he loses the next ten games SR aren't going to pull the trigger on him we all know that.. so basically they accept this may go wrong and there's a good chance we will be playing championship football next season and they are fine with that  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Been a few pictures on Twitter of fans with him inside the ground. Definitely happening. 

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Was shown on sky in the stands. £2.5 mil quoted as compo

Cheers, hadn't seen it, the missus has put the bloody crown on. 

7 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Writing him off based on interview technique is moronic and extremely short sighted. 
Talk is cheap, judge him on his impact to the team and results. (Assuming he gets the gig). 
The white smoke will be whether he’s at the game tonight or not. 

Personally I'm not writing him off on his interview technique   I'm writing him off based on his 15% win ratio at Stoke and his lack of top level experience.

• Like 1

All in all, a totally obscure appointment! Totally unpredictable, because on paper he appears to offer nothing.

Will this motivate our demotivated squad? Will any of them actually have heard of him before?

Got a bad feeling about this, but as with all Saints fans, have to hope it works out somehow.

Edited by BotleySaint
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I hope he turns us down and then goes on to a similar club (ie Palace) and wins the quadruple.

Someone on Facebook has suggested staging a protest against him by singing anti-Jones songs for 90 minutes. PL fans are a joke.

What all of them? Presumably that would include you.