'He's gonna be decent' to 'Who'?

Monk

18 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Jamie White plays for Infinity a team my mate founded 👍 

As for recent players I'd go with Gaston Ramirez or Boufal and even Osvaldo I thought all 3 were capable of better things. 

I've never met him but heard nothing but good about him.

16 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, true.  I thought he looked half decent on his debut (was it against Arsenal or Man Utd?).  Seem to recall he did some scissor kick that looked good and I honestly can't remember anything after that.

I think his debut was v Arsenal (match included the triple Niemi save). Delgado scored (from memory) but think he hooked the ball in whilst laying in the ground (or it hit his arse and went in). 

34 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Mario Lemina. Wasnt so much his debut, but in one of his first few games, I think it was WBA away, he was immense. Remember it getting a feature on the MOTD analysis. Pity he turned out to be a tit

He was class on his debut against Palace. What did he do that made him a tit?

The two that spring to mind are Ronnie Ekelund, already mentioned and an incredibly gifted player who could have been brilliant for us alongside Le Tissier at the height of his powers - the injury curtailed the career of a genuine wizard of a player.  The other one, for posters of a certain vintage, was Tseu La Ling, the big Ajax forward who came to Saints as a trialist in 1982.  Saints played a full strength Gothenburg in a friendly and La Ling was unplayable, looked the complete player, scoring brace in a 4-4 thriller, which included a towering Ron Davies style salmon leap header.  Went away from the friendly buzzing thinking McMenemy had unearthed an absolute gem and always gutted that he didn't sign. 

Edited by Miltonaggro

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I think his debut was v Arsenal (match included the triple Niemi save). Delgado scored (from memory) but think he hooked the ball in whilst laying in the ground (or it hit his arse and went in). 

Was Delgado the source of the famous Wee Gordon quote concerning his yoghurt and it's impending best before date?!

• Like 1

If Ronnie Ekelund  qualifies for this thread with his season loan with us (latter part injured though), then I’ll nominate Tony Funnel.

Key goalscorer in our promotion season. Really thought Lawrie had unearthed a goalscorer who’d take Division One by storm. Sadly didn’t get the chance/not deemed up to it.

For younger Saints fans, he was a bit of 1977/8 version of Billy Sharp( although Sharp has had a longer and more successful career out of the top division).

Edited by Badger

Bradley Wright-Phillips. Ian Wright's son, a striker, brother of Shaun Wright-Phillips, a £21m player at the time, scored on his debut off the bench in a 2-2 draw against Derby. Everything was written for him to be the main man, but he never really pushed on. Had a very good career in America, though.

I had a lot of hopes that Idiakez would be the main man after he signed too, same squad.

6 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Tomasz Hajto for me. Came in and played the first half of the season in the championship, Polish international who was what we needed at right back with Dodd , Telfer and Nilsson all going.

Never worked for him particularly well (in hindsight Baird was probably the better option) and he went to Derby in January.

Since then he's had a manslaughter charge and played a few years in Poland. 

I remember Hajto playing some nice diagonal passes against Anderlecht in a pre season friendly, Kenwyne Jones scored a hat-trick and I thought we would breeze the league.

Both ended up having really really average seasons. Thankfully for us Jones came back from the 2006 world cup looking twice the player he was in that 05/06 season. 

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

He was class on his debut against Palace. What did he do that made him a tit?

He came across as a billy big balls, more interested in his image and social media presence (#toniclikeleminade) than he was in putting the work in. In his defence, his time here coincided with some of the worst managers we've had so we definitely failed him in that sense. But he also went from Juve to Fulham within the space of 3 years and that wasnt all down to the managers

52 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

He came across as a billy big balls, more interested in his image and social media presence (#toniclikeleminade) than he was in putting the work in. In his defence, his time here coincided with some of the worst managers we've had so we definitely failed him in that sense. But he also went from Juve to Fulham within the space of 3 years and that wasnt all down to the managers

His non-performance in the FA Cup semi final against Chelsea was inexcusable.

• Like 3

On mentioning Ball, anyone else remember Eamon Collins ? Was destined to be a star, Bally brought him with him from Blackpool, (when he came back as a player)but drifted out of it. About 10 years later I saw him play for Colchester at Cheltenham in what was then the Conference.

There sure have been a lot of strikers over the years who scored for fun at youth level, but barely made it as a professional. Cedric Baseya the original, Jamie White, Ryan Seager, Olufela Olomola, Jonathan Afolabi. Probably missing someone obvious too.

Not a striker, but I liked the look of Kayne McLaggon when he first broke through too, but he's spent most of his career at semi-pro level.

5 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

The two that spring to mind are Ronnie Ekelund, already mentioned and an incredibly gifted player who could have been brilliant for us alongside Le Tissier at the height of his powers - the injury curtailed the career of a genuine wizard of a player.  The other one, for posters of a certain vintage, was Tseu La Ling, the big Ajax forward who came to Saints as a trialist in 1984.  Saints played a full strength Gothenburg in a friendly and La Ling was unplayable, looked the complete player, scoring brace in a 4-4 thriller, which included a towering Ron Davies style salmon leap header.  Went away from the friendly buzzing thinking McMenemy had unearthed an absolute gem and always gutted that he didn't sign. 

La Ling was an exciting possibility. The game he played on trial was in February 82 when we were desperately seeking a striker to replace the injured Steve Moran. We were top of the table but faded away without a goal scorer. With La Ling we might have been champions.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

There sure have been a lot of strikers over the years who scored for fun at youth level, but barely made it as a professional. Cedric Baseya the original, Jamie White, Ryan Seager, Olufela Olomola, Jonathan Afolabi. Probably missing someone obvious too.

Cosimo Sarli. 

Scored a ridiculous amount of goals for the reserves but never made a first team appearance.

4 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

La Ling was an exciting possibility. The game he played on trial was in February 82 when we were desperately seeking a striker to replace the injured Steve Moran. We were top of the table but faded away without a goal scorer. With La Ling we might have been champions.

I’ve not seen any explanation as to why we didn’t sign him.

Ajax let him take part in the trial match  presumably with a view to a sale. Couldn’t afford him? Player not interested, or were we looking elsewhere thinking we could do better ? 

35 minutes ago, Badger said:

I’ve not seen any explanation as to why we didn’t sign him.

Ajax let him take part in the trial match  presumably with a view to a sale. Couldn’t afford him? Player not interested, or were we looking elsewhere thinking we could do better ? 

I would have thought he would have been interested in joining a team at the top of the table and playing alongside Keegan. Doubt it could have been a work permit issue as he was a Dutch international. Maybe it was just the size of the fee? We really didn't have better options - we were entering a period when we would have Ron Futcher and Bob Lee on short term deals. The striker issue wasn't solved until we got Frank Worthington and then Joe Jordan.

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Alan Mclouchlan was a funny one. Remember him being our 1st 1 million pound player. He had scored a lot of goals for Swindon and it felt he was a good goal scoring threat alongside Barry Horne. Turns out he was bloody awful, went to the Skates and of course more recently RIP 🙏 

Bloody hell didn’t realise he had died, only 54. 

the problem he had was that he played as what would now be called a number 10 for Swindon in those days it was just called a central attacking midfielder, where he was good, she. He joined us he was pushed out to the left of midfield which wasn’t his postion. £1m was a fortune for us back then so fans expected him to be brilliant. Of course he went down the road and was a really good player for them. Yet another example of us spending big money on a player and it not working out.

there was also that scandal about his testimonial where he hadn’t got paid the money months after it had taken place, rumours Pompey had pocketed the cash and were going to pay him later. The chairman was asked directly about it and said it was something to do with they were waiting or him to confirm how he wanted the money or some nonsense. All very strange 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

Surprised to not see a single Dani Rodrigues mention.

Tim Sparv, lots of good reserve performances but never played for the first team. Went on to have a good professional career and played loads of games for Finland.

Adam Hammil was one I was surprised to not see make the grade, thought he looked great at times on loan for us.

5 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Not a striker, but I liked the look of Kayne McLaggon when he first broke through too, but he's spent most of his career at semi-pro level.

David McGoldrick got 42 goals in 40 games for the reserves IIRC. 

On 10/10/2022 at 11:13, S-Clarke said:

Gaston Ramirez

Everyone should remember 'that game against Villa', I think he scored in the following game against Everton as well.

But not much happened after that.

To be honest in terms of pure creativity I’d take him over the so called creative players/10s we have right now wouldn’t you?

I feel like Gaston was a talent but was maybe a bit unlucky in that we had lallana and Rodriguez playing really high level at the time so he didn’t get really get going..

it’s kinda depressing to me that managers will prefer workrate over creativity then we end up with elyounoussi types all the time 

• Like 1

I admire your optimism @trousersbut did you honestly think Theo was going to be good second time round? He’d already been a busted flush for years. Everton fans couldn’t wait to get rid. I honestly think that putting him on a two year deal, on the money’s he’s on, is up there with some of the worst dealings that we’ve ever done in the transfer market. And that’s not just with the gift of retrospect - he was done when we signed him. It was such a negligent deal for a club with the financial constraints that we have. Like it was just done on a whim with no due diligence or common sense at all. Madness. 

• Like 1

David Prutton some 20 years back. We picked him up from the Championship (we did and still do that a lot - Adam Armstrong, Che Adams, Brett Ormerod, Fitz Hall), he started well (there were predictions he would captain England one day) but his career with us then went on a gradual decline and hit bottom when he got a 10-game ban for shoving the ref which contributed to our relegation. Broke a bone in his foot the following season, after he recovered we sent him back to Nottingham Forest whence he came.

Edited by Singapore Saint

4 minutes ago, Singapore Saint said:

David Prutton some 20 years back. We picked him up from the Championship (we did and still do that a lot - Adam Armstrong, Che Adams, Brett Ormerod, Fitz Hall), he started well (there were predictions he would captain England one day) but his career with us then went on a gradual decline and hit bottom when he got a 10-game ban for shoving the ref which contributed to our relegation. Broke a bone in his foot the following season, after he recovered we sent him back to Nottingham Forest whence he came.

Yeah, I was really pleased when we got Prutton, and thought he'd do really well.

On 10/10/2022 at 21:56, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Was Delgado the source of the famous Wee Gordon quote concerning his yoghurt and it's impending best before date?!

It certainly was. Apparently Delgado was unhappy the club had forgotten about his birthday as we didn't send him a birthday card or celebrate it in any way, so he threw his toys out the pram. When Wee Ginger was asked by a journo about the Ecuadorian's reported sulk, he said, "I've got more important things to do - like eating the yoghurt in my fridge that's expiring today!"