Palace 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

Jack

The single biggest issue at this club is we do not have a clinical striker.

Rickie Lambert, Pellè, Danny Ings... they score the chances that Adams should have today.

Ultimately that is the difference between us losing and not winning and has been in a number of games this season. Criminal we fucked up so badly in the transfer window, and now everyone knows we're desperate in January. And we are desperate.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

When I looked at the starting lineup I thought we’ll lose because we have zero pace. Too often ralph’s Ralph’s lineups have me scratching my head.

find it bizarre that Adam Armstrong didn’t get any minutes despite our failure to score. 

Agreed. If we're going to now play a 352 then Adam Armstrong up front makes sense, rather than stuck out on the left wing. I'd fancy him over Che for those chances today.

We were well worth a point over the 90 mins but couldn't finish and gave away a soft goal.

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

The only saving grace is that there are teams as equally shit as us

I dunno, even of the teams who look a bit shit (Forest, Bornemouth, Leicester, Villa, Leeds, Wolves etc) have attacking threats who are capable of scoring goals. We've got nothing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pamplemousse said:

The single biggest issue at this club is we do not have a clinical striker.

Rickie Lambert, Pellè, Danny Ings... they score the chances that Adams should have today.

Ultimately that is the difference between us losing and not winning and has been in a number of games this season. Criminal we fucked up so badly in the transfer window, and now everyone knows we're desperate in January. And we are desperate.

I still don't get the signing of Mara.  Just a nothing player.  Do we really have no hopes in the U23s who could have filled his spot in the squad?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I still don't get the signing of Mara.  Just a nothing player.  Do we really have no hopes in the U23s who could have filled his spot in the squad?

Perhaps we could give Ballard and Co more of a chance, but given they’ve come through our academy, they’ve still go to learn how to play 🤣

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I dunno, even of the teams who look a bit shit (Forest, Bornemouth, Leicester, Villa, Leeds, Wolves etc) have attacking threats who are capable of scoring goals. We've got nothing.

May be too late now. Especially if we don’t sack Ralph now and spend big o a striker who actually wants to come to us. Fear we’ve left it too late though. 

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

We aren't shipping goals like those teams though, even though we cannot score, we somehow manage to stay in a game. You have to hope that we can somehow nick something from somewhere. I still think Fulham and Brentford are going to be in the mix, Everton nothing special either. I agree we are shit at the moment, but by not getting a beating, and staying in the game, always gives you the hope of sneaking something.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He had a real spark about him against Leeds in the 2nd half, but he's just regressed ever since.

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Could potentially beat Newcastle, but still 12-15 points is a pretty naff return before the WC.

I must admit I thought thinking we'd get 15 points by the WC as being seriously pessimistic, but seemingly that seems to be an optimistic view nowadays which is quite depressing in itself.

12-15 points is an absolutely dreadful return by this stage of the season but perhaps we just need to realise that this is where we are these days. That’s either because Ralph isn’t good enough or the league has evolved too much around us and we’ve not moved on.

• Like 1

Same problems as all season.

1. We set up wrong and give up the first half and normally goals (on Ralph) before it's fixed at halftime.

2 The players can't retain a fart let alone a football (on them).

3.Our championship strikers are only goalscorers in the championship (on whoever prioritised the signings).

3 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

12-15 points is an absolutely dreadful return by this stage of the season but perhaps we just need to realise that this is where we are these days. That’s either because Ralph isn’t good enough or the league has evolved too much around us and we’ve not moved on.

I will be stunned if we beat Newcastle, they have lost once all season - and that was a controversial goal.  Howe even has Almiron playing like Messi ffs and ASM is back

4 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

The league is a lot tighter this year though. There are usually one or two teams That are dead certs to go down, not this year. There are about 10 teams with not much between them. Unfortunately we seem to be the bottom end of those 10

5 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

In fairness, there have been a few games where we haven't deserved to lose. Very fine margins in the Premier League.

9 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We aren't shipping goals like those teams though, even though we cannot score, we somehow manage to stay in a game. You have to hope that we can somehow nick something from somewhere. I still think Fulham and Brentford are going to be in the mix, Everton nothing special either. I agree we are shit at the moment, but by not getting a beating, and staying in the game, always gives you the hope of sneaking something.

Have a word with yourself, all 3 of those teams will finish comfortably above us. 

• Like 1

Things could have been different. Gakpo could have chosen to sign with us. Lavia and Bella-Kotchap could have remained injury free. But we are where we are and we just have to admit that things aren't working and clearly won't improve. I'm genuinely very sorry to say it, but the owners MUST replace the manager. And sooner rather than later.

• Like 3

The problem today was mainly that fact we don’t have a striker who can score. The style of play wasn’t great but when the formation was changed in the second half we were good. Che had two great chances to score and he bottled both of them

Edited by Reggie Rodway
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Our forward options = relegation.

Simple as that.

We have lost 1-0 away vs Villa, Wolves and Palace and certainly in the latter two missed huge chances to take something from the game.

The Manager is rightly questioned but any Manager would struggle to get this squad to regularly score more than one goal a game because there just isnt the quality in the final third.

Palace, a club of comparable size have Zaha, Eze and Olise. None of our attacking midfield players are anywhere near their level.

You really think if Ralph had Eze and Olise we’d have better results?

Ralph is debilitating our attack, or at least I see no attacking impetus to our game. No tactics, no movement off the ball when we have the ball, our final third play is some of the worst in the league.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

You really think if Ralph had Eze and Olise we’d have better results?

Ralph is debilitating our attack, or at least I see no attacking impetus to our game. No tactics, no movement off the ball when we have the ball, our final third play is some of the worst in the league.

Has to be worth trying one or two of the youngsters - Dibling, that Jimmy Jam or Ballard. We can't go on with Adams and Aribo backing him up.

I think Mara is just going blunt and losing heart at so few minutes. Even so, his goal record in France wasn't impressive.

I've got to the point I'm gagging for Walcott to start or come on any change a game. It's desperate.

Don't think there are three worse teams. Perhaps more importantly, I don't think there are three teams that play worse football either. 

Nothing's going to change under this manager. We've changed the coaches. We've changed the squad. We've even changed the board. 

There's only one thing left to try. It might make no difference, but what's the point in sleepwalking to relegation under a manager who is clearly a busted flush? Can't even remember the last time we actually played well - 4 wins in 28, but they were all grim, backs to the wall stuff. 

Come on, SR, at least have a go.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He had a real spark about him against Leeds in the 2nd half, but he's just regressed ever since.

Yep, wonder why that is. Wonder why a few players got worse after joining. Moussa being one. Redmond another. Mara another.

I like Mara, think he could do better at those shooting things which equal goals.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Reggie Rodway said:

The problem today was mainly that fact we don’t have a striker who can score. The style of play wasn’t great but when the formation was changed in the second half we were good. Che had two great chances to score and he bottled both of them

Why didn't we change the formation 20 minutes into the first half when it clearly wasn't working?

• Like 2

The genius of Ralph:

Hasenhüttl: “When you don’t score a goal, it is not a fair result, because this is what was the difference today – they did it once & we definitely had the bigger chances but we didn’t [score]. That’s the reason why we lost this game today.” #saintsfc

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, saintant said:

But Diallo clearly wasn't on it from the first minute. When a manager sees that he should be bold enough to take the player off straight away. 

Making a substitution after one minute would certainly have been quite a statement of intent.

Taking him off at half time, when nothing improved, was the right thing to do. But our main problem is lack of a goalscorer. End of. 

Having said that I sadly expect us to lose against Newcastle and Liverpool, and have a new manager for the next game v Brighton on Boxing Day. 

2 minutes ago, DT said:

The genius of Ralph:

Hasenhüttl: “When you don’t score a goal, it is not a fair result, because this is what was the difference today – they did it once & we definitely had the bigger chances but we didn’t [score]. That’s the reason why we lost this game today.” #saintsfc

jeez

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LaptopSaint said:

Making a substitution after one minute would certainly have been quite a statement of intent.

Taking him off at half time, when nothing improved, was the right thing to do. But our main problem is lack of a goalscorer. End of. 

Having said that I sadly expect us to lose against Newcastle and Liverpool, and have a new manager for the next game v Brighton on Boxing Day. 

Not suggesting Diallo should have been hooked after one minute but he was poor enough to warrant having been taken off after 20 minutes.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

The genius of Ralph:

Nothing about your team's totally abject display for the whole of the first half then Ralph? I'd already predicted he'd hide behind missed chances. Typical coward.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sfcphilc said:

If we had a goalscoring striker instead of Adams, we'd win that. That's the difference. That lies with the owners. Ralph can only play the players we've signed. A draw would've been fair today. 

Two days before the window closed our team looked good with the obvious absence of two strikers. We had a couple lined up, the incoming players were happy , the selling clubs were happy. 
Sports Republic said money no object, within reason. Semmens blew the deals by trying to get them for a couple of million quid cheaper. The selling clubs were fuming, insulted. 
The next sacking will be Semmens.

I used to be a decent ITK not anymore but this I heard from a person with very prominent connections.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, DT said:

The genius of Ralph:

You would get more sense from my dopey dog.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, manji said:

Two days before the window closed our team looked good with the obvious absence of two strikers. We had a couple lined up, the incoming players were happy , the selling clubs were happy. 
Sports Republic said money no object, within reason. Semmens blew the deals by trying to get them for a couple of million quid cheaper. The selling clubs were fuming, insulted. 

I used to be a decent ITK not anymore but this I heard from a person with very prominent connections.

If that's the case, Semmens should have gone the moment the window shut. Guess if he was haggling over a couple of million, he must have thought he was still working for Gao 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, manji said:

Which begs the question…..why the fuck didn’t they get rid of him straight away? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DT said:

The genius of Ralph:

Fuck me, did he really say this?

Wow. 

8 minutes ago, manji said:

Semmens would be no loss.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DT said:

The genius of Ralph:

Pretty much sums it up.

23 minutes ago, Reggie Rodway said:

The main problem is why does he always start with the wrong line-up. We’re literally having to change things in what seems like every game just to give us a chance. He gets the wrong starting line-up every time. No wonder we’re so in the shit when we only give ourselves 45 mins max every game.

I have no idea what he is thinking with some of his line-ups. Why do we persist with Lyanco who was an absolute liability v Arsenal (the defending for that blocked Jesus chance was some of the worst I’ve seen in top flight football), but somehow he gets away with it because he’s a ‘character’. And he costs us a goal today. And we legally shoehorn him in just to play 5atb again which rarely ever works for us against a team we really should be looking to try and give them a run for their money.

And why do we always persist with playing two in midfield every game, and constantly sacrifice control to the opposition. And especially why do we pair Diallo and JWP together in that two when we’ve seen consistently that it ends up in disaster every single time. I actually feel quite sorry for Diallo because almost everyone can see except somehow Ralph that he isn’t and out and out DM and he isn’t able to play in just a two. Rather than play to our players strengths, we play to their weaknesses every time. It’s no wonder so many talents go downhill so quickly at St Mary’s.

He makes the same mistakes in choosing his line-up every single week and somehow expects something to change. That’s why he needs to go and go soon because he is totally out of ideas and this is coming from one his most staunch defenders in recent times. 

• Like 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Palace 1-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic