Palace 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

Jack

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’m currently working. 
Can anyone give a half decent summary without the hysterics of how the game went please. 👍🏻

Ralph is about the only one who could explain that performance. His playbook is starting to look short of a number of crucial chapters.

• Like 2

I’m currently working. 
Can anyone give a half decent summary without the hysterics of how the game went please. 👍🏻

First half complete shambles - couldn't string 2 passes together, out muscled in midfield, played into trouble every time we tried to pass it out from the back. Second half more competitive - Che had 2 clear chances but passed both to their GK.

• Like 1

Not seen anything aside from the scoreline. I see there’s the usual Ralph Out crap, and yes I’m in agreement that our football has turned stale.

But surely if he was promised a striker and he didn’t get it that’s on the board, not Ralph? 

Equally many on here we’re saying that was the best possible starting team out there today.

Obviously I don’t know how good/bad we were, I’m just keen to read a half decent report that doesn’t start with some prat throwing their toys out the pram over a football match…

• Confused 2

I thought we did well second half and deserved a point.

Unfortunately we do have a poor squad that lacks Premier League quality, we've been getting weaker year on year (despite added depth).

We knew that in the last transfer window and didn't manage to get anyone proven quality in.

Ralph could do better, but how can he make Adams score those chances?

Edited by BotleySaint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wooley7 said:

I got in after 60 minutes and for that half hour we have been well on top and created some decent chances. 

Reading this thread it must have been really, really bad before that.

From the bit I saw it looks like finishing has cost us points again.

Those going on and on about Edozie playing right back, don’t you have enough ammo for Ralph without making shit up. He played right wing and Djenepo left wing and we had 3 at the back, no full backs!

Believe me, the first half was utterly horrific. Couldn't string 3-4 passes together, constantly gave it away in dangerous areas and basically couldn't get out of our own half.

Utterly dross football and until such time it can be proven somehow that it’s the players rather than the training and tactics that’s at fault I’m afraid it’s Ralph out and an overhaul of coaching.

The problem now is that it will take quite sometime to repair the damage and it’s increasingly looking like we’ll get relegated before any change has a chance to take effect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

Ralph is about the only one who could explain that performance. His playbook is starting to look short of a number of crucial chapters.

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

First half complete shambles - couldn't string 2 passes together, out muscled in midfield, played into trouble every time we tried to pass it out from the back. Second half more competitive - Che had 2 clear chances but passed both to their GK.

Thanks guys 👍🏻👍🏻

1 minute ago, Edmonton Saint said:

Could one of the Kids like Ballard do any worse right now ?

Short answer: no.

It still baffles me that one of our free-scoring youngsters can't even get a place on the bench when our senior strikers are so blunt. I know it's a big step up and all that but, as you say, could they be any worse than our first choice strikers right now...?

• Like 2

Trying to be fair about this our recruitment just hasn't been anywhere near good enough: we just don't have any good attacking players - Edozie looks a year or two away from being good enough, Aribo just isn't good enough, Mara isn't anywhere near premier League level, Che isn't clinical enough, A Armstrong is nothing like a premier League player, Elynoussi is only good against the ball, djenepo is hard working but nothing else, ...

Its simple to see what is wrong - we just don't have the quality to consistently compete. And to think I thought we'd had a decent window...

But surely if he was promised a striker and he didn’t get it that’s on the board, not Ralph? 

I can't understand why we didn't. Everyone knew we needed at least one to be competitive, to not get in is piss poor. I wonder if the actual money was there, and that SR were just blowing smoke up are asses? 

1 minute ago, BotleySaint said:

I thought we did well second half and deserved a point.

Unfortunately we do have a poor squad that lacks Premier League quality, we've been getting weaker year on year (despite added depth).

We knew that in the last transfer window and didn't manage to get anyone else in.

Ralph could do better, but how can he make Adams score those chances?

You're missing the elephant in the room. How can a bloke on 6.5 million preside over that shit in the first half and not make early changes to try to put it right. Second half was better so it's not as though Palace are a team we should be scared of.

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

Explain why Ralph presided over that shitshow of a first half without doing a thing to change it.

I suppose it was his fault his shit players kept giving the ball away and played like they'd never met before? He changed things at half time and we were the better side second half. I don't understand people's expectations for this season. We're a bottom 5 side. Others have strengthened and we've got weaker. Never replaced Ings goals and didn't replace Broja. Can't score, won't win. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Not seen anything aside from the scoreline. I see there’s the usual Ralph Out crap, and yes I’m in agreement that our football has turned stale.

Equally many on here we’re saying that was the best possible starting team out there today.

Obviously I don’t know how good/bad we were, I’m just keen to read a half decent report that doesn’t start with some prat throwing their toys out the pram over a football match…

I watched the game. We weren't just "stale" we were shockingly bad all across the pitch. No fight just passive, inane sideways and backwards passing, no urgency, no fight. I don't care what you say about a striker - the tactics and mindset of the team are down to Ralph and they currently are a long way from being acceptable.

• Like 6

All huff and puff. Zero quality. When we do manage to carve out a chance we can't take it. Feel for Lyanco being played out of position but he doesn't have the quality on the ball to play where he was put today. More points lost against an average side. Way too many passengers contributing nothing - Aribo, AMN, Elyonoussi, Diallo. We've had a half decent little spell but that was normal service resumed. Only real positive is that a few other results went our way. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sfcphilc said:

I suppose it was his fault his shit players kept giving the ball away and played like they'd never met before? He changed things at half time and we were the better side second half. I don't understand people's expectations for this season. We're a bottom 5 side. Others have strengthened and we've got weaker. Never replaced Ings goals and didn't replace Broja. Can't score, won't win. 

It's his job to get it right from the start but, to give him some slack, if things go wrong which they clearly did today it is then his job to make early changes to get us into the game. He didn't do it and the second half proved that we should have changed things a lot sooner.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, saintant said:

Who picked Diallo and then allowed him to play the whole first 45 minutes?

On the basis of the 2nd half v Arsenal it was fair. You play yourself in to the team, you play yourself out. Today was horrific ! Adams should have had 2 as well, some of the players just on prem quality and we need 1 more window like the last, T least. 

Edited by Yorkshire Saint

1 minute ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

On the basis of the 2nd half v Arsenal it was fair. You play yourself in to the team, you play yourself out. Today as horrific ! Adams shout have had 2 as well, some of the players just on prem quality and we need 1 more window like the last, T least. 

But Diallo clearly wasn't on it from the first minute. When a manager sees that he should be bold enough to take the player off straight away. 

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

When I looked at the starting lineup I thought we’ll lose because we have zero pace. Too often ralph’s Ralph’s lineups have me scratching my head.

find it bizarre that Adam Armstrong didn’t get any minutes despite our failure to score. 

What would AA have done though run around a lot and fluffed some chances on goal? We already had one striker doing that 

First half was absolutely dire, we were not in the game at all and we were lucky it was only 1-0 really. The main problem from that first half was Diallo who is so far away from being able to play in CM in this league. Stop putting us through the misery of having to watch him, a truly inept CM. One of the worst we've ever had.

2nd half was much better once we got more of a grip of the CM. AMN, whilst not amazing, added steal and some intelligence in his play which was sorely lacking in the first half. We did create some great opening and if we had a Broja or an Ings then it's at least 1-1, we wouldn't have lost it. Adams once again showing that whilst in build-up and hold up he's the best we've got, he just cannot be relied on to score goals at this level. We undid all the work from our transfer window by failing to address the attack in my opinion.

It's looking likely we'll finish around 15 pts before the start of the WC and to me that's not enough. I'll stand by what I said weeks ago - get 20 or so points on the board before the WC and we can continue with Ralph and look forward, but if we get 15 or less (which now looks likely) then sadly it's probably time a change needs to happen. There are times when a club needs a fresh impetus, and I must admit it does feel a bit stale right now.

I will stand by my opinion that Ralph isn't the sole problem here, anyone would struggle to get these guys scoring goals, but sometimes a fresh start and a fresh pair of eyes after so long is needed to give a new appraisal on the squad. But January is critical. Fail to sort out the attack/strikers in January and we will be gone by March/April. But it seems quite clear that this is the first season in some time that we will be engulfed in a relegation battle for the entirety, we're certainly 'one of the teams' and no longer on the periphery - and after an £80m spend, that's a huge failure.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

It's his job to get it right from the start but, to give him some slack, if things go wrong which they clearly did today it is then his job to make early changes to get us into the game. He didn't do it and the second half proved that we should have changed things a lot sooner.

He's not going to sub off players after half an hour is he? That basically tells that player you're not going to play again as I don't trust you. How often do first half subs occur? The hysteria on here is laughable. We've lost 1-0 away from home. You'd think we'd lost 9-0 again from some of these comments. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Sfcphilc said:

He's not going to sub off players after half an hour is he? That basically tells that player you're not going to play again as I don't trust you. How often do first half subs occur? The hysteria on here is laughable. We've lost 1-0 away from home. You'd think we'd lost 9-0 again from some of these comments. 

Don't agree, if a player is having a shocker, regardless of the time, he comes off. Diallo is shit, end of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

Thought AMN changed the game. Should've started or at least been brought on after 20 mins. Half time was too late to change it. 

Yeah I don't know why we keep flogging Diallo in the 6, I don't know how many more times he needs to play for everyone to realise he can't do it. He is not good enough and never, ever, ever will be good enough at this level. Inept central midfielder. 

As a further advanced in a 3 he can pass as a squad player, but whoever keeps thinking he can play as a 2 in this league needs shooting.

• Like 1

Our forward options = relegation.

Simple as that.

We have lost 1-0 away vs Villa, Wolves and Palace and certainly in the latter two missed huge chances to take something from the game.

The Manager is rightly questioned but any Manager would struggle to get this squad to regularly score more than one goal a game because there just isnt the quality in the final third.

Palace, a club of comparable size have Zaha, Eze and Olise. None of our attacking midfield players are anywhere near their level.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

Other managers do it. Just a week ago potter took off Cucurella in first half as they were completely under the cosh.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

First half was absolutely dire, we were not in the game at all and we were lucky it was only 1-0 really. The main problem from that first half was Diallo who is so far away from being able to play in CM in this league. Stop putting us through the misery of having to watch him, a truly inept CM. One of the worst we've ever had.

2nd half was much better once we got more of a grip of the CM. AMN, whilst not amazing, added steal and some intelligence in his play which was sorely lacking in the first half. We did create some great opening and if we had a Broja or an Ings then it's at least 1-1, we wouldn't have lost it. Adams once again showing that whilst in build-up and hold up he's the best we've got, he just cannot be relied on to score goals at this level. We undid all the work from our transfer window by failing to address the attack in my opinion.

It's looking likely we'll finish around 15 pts before the start of the WC and to me that's not enough. I'll stand by what I said weeks ago - get 20 or so points on the board before the WC and we can continue with Ralph and look forward, but if we get 15 or less (which now looks likely) then sadly it's probably time a change needs to happen. There are times when a club needs a fresh impetus, and I must admit it does feel a bit stale right now.

I will stand by my opinion that Ralph isn't the sole problem here, anyone would struggle to get these guys scoring goals, but sometimes a fresh start and a fresh pair of eyes after so long is needed to give a new appraisal on the squad. But January is critical. Fail to sort out the attack/strikers in January and we will be gone by March/April. But it seems quite clear that this is the first season in some time that we will be engulfed in a relegation battle for the entirety, we're certainly 'one of the teams' and no longer on the periphery - and after an £80m spend, that's a huge failure.

You seriously think we'll beat either Newcastle or Liverpool?

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You speak so much sense I couldn’t agree more. 

How Diallo got to half time truly baffled me, I hope we don’t see him near the starting 11 in a very long time! 

We need fresh ideas and fast, slow side passing we look so deject of any ideas. We have no pace in attack. Adam’s like you say does the hard work the hold up play is good but he just won’t get enough goal to keep us up. 

They must have a striker ready and lined up for January 1st otherwise like you say we will be gone by April.

Edited by St Lej

Just now, saintant said:

You seriously think we'll beat either Newcastle or Liverpool?

Could potentially beat Newcastle, but still 12-15 points is a pretty naff return before the WC.

I must admit I thought thinking we'd get 15 points by the WC as being seriously pessimistic, but seemingly that seems to be an optimistic view nowadays which is quite depressing in itself.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah I don't know why we keep flogging Diallo in the 6, I don't know how many more times he needs to play for everyone to realise he can't do it. He is not good enough and never, ever, ever will be good enough at this level. Inept central midfielder. 

As a further advanced in a 3 he can pass as a squad player, but whoever keeps thinking he can play as a 2 in this league needs shooting.

This completely. Ralph had the opportunity to try something slightly innovative today given we needed an extra man in midfield. Go 4-1-2-3 with Djenepo at RB, Lyanco as a DMF enforcer working across and protecting the back four and JWP/Diallo pushing forward to assist the forward line when needed. That effectively plays five at the back but provides an out path and quick break option. But what do I know?!

22 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:
32 minutes ago, rooney said:

Seems Adams cost us again.he just needs so many chances to actually find the net.. was a brilliant bit of play by arribo to put him in.

loving lyanco lately that’s one positive he’s just class great on the ball too to go with his passion and commitment 

Not seen the goal then?

15 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Ralph don’t going anywhere.

The only people awaiting this imaginary sacking are the same people that said it would happen in May and that JWP would be sold in the summer and we’d lose every game 9-0, etc.

He isn’t getting the boot.

Accept the defeat and move on.

We’re you the lone bloke in the Dell car park after the Port Vale cup-tie, waving a banner with “Branfoot must stay” on it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Could potentially beat Newcastle, but still 12-15 points is a pretty naff return before the WC.

I must admit I thought thinking we'd get 15 points by the WC as being seriously pessimistic, but seemingly that seems to be an optimistic view nowadays which is quite depressing in itself.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest we are going to beat Newcastle - they are doing very well - good players, sensible manager. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

The only saving grace is that there are teams as equally shit as us

• Lighthouse changed the title to Palace 1-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic