Gareth Bale retires

SuperSAINT

He was up there with the best for a couple of years, it did peter out a little though.

If I'm honest he should have retired some time ago, but he obviously wanted a last swansong with Wales at a World Cup which you can't really begrudge!

I remember his debut against Millwall back in 2006, one of the last home games of the season I think. He owned that left side, so much power and pace at a young age. It's making me feel pretty old to have seen these guys make their debuts (Theo/Bale) and now they're retiring, or on the brink of!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

I was at Derby away where he scored his first professional goal and it really doesn't feel that long ago. Been great to follow a career like that from a big-eared kid with us. Fair play to the lad, considering he has had plenty to contend with throughout.

Same, was just thinking how it barely seems like yesterday I was at Pride Park watching him score that free kick and Bradley Wright-Phillips scoring on his debut. How time flies, a star was born that day. Fantastic career and advert for our academy.

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He was up there with the best for a couple of years, it did peter out a little though.

If I'm honest he should have retired some time ago, but he obviously wanted a last swansong with Wales at a World Cup which you can't really begrudge!

I remember his debut against Millwall back in 2006, one of the last home games of the season I think. He owned that left side, so much power and pace at a young age. It's making me feel pretty old to have seen these guys make their debuts (Theo/Bale) and now they're retiring, or on the brink of!

I have such fond memories of those first few years after relegation in terms of the academy products. Theo came in and looked like the quickest most direct player in the world (sadly long-gone are those days) and Bale was an absolute monster right away. Loved his partnership with Skacel where they would both play left back and left mid, and whoever was in the position did the job and the other covered them. 

Shame his career never quite hit the absolute heights it could have (stuck a little in Ronaldo's shadow really) but he has to be one of the best Saints have ever had through the ranks

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It’s remarkable that even a fading Bale could still drag Wales to a major tournament.  

2 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

I have such fond memories of those first few years after relegation in terms of the academy products. Theo came in and looked like the quickest most direct player in the world (sadly long-gone are those days) and Bale was an absolute monster right away. Loved his partnership with Skacel where they would both play left back and left mid, and whoever was in the position did the job and the other covered them. 

Shame his career never quite hit the absolute heights it could have (stuck a little in Ronaldo's shadow really) but he has to be one of the best Saints have ever had through the ranks

I still think he was up there with Ronaldo and Messi for a couple of years, he won Real the Champions League a couple of times - pretty much single handily. Benzema, Ronaldo and Bale were a frightening 3 and dominated for a good few years.

That’s why I’ll never understand the hate Real fans had towards him, he contributed loads to them even if it was condensed into 2 or 3 years.

• Like 4

He made it to the top in that he got to Real Madrid and was the best player in the world behind Messi and Ronaldo for a couple of years. Wales' greatest ever player also. Giggs is a scumbag and used to drop out all the time anyway. Dragged them to numerous tournaments and they saw their future without him and Ramsey a last month and it was bleak.

The ultimate big game player for Real Madrid and definitely the most decorated player we've ever produced.

This goal is just bizarre, without considering he also scored an overhead kick in a Champions League final, but this is my favourite:

• Like 1

Remember watching his debut for Saints against Millwall.  Last game of the 2005/06 season.  He played left back, and even at the age of 16 it was obvious that he was going to be really good.  First game of the following season he stuck a free kick into the top corner against Derby.  The odious Billy Davies obviously remembered and got his team to kick him off the park in the first leg of the play-offs.  Then he went to Tottenham so we only got to watch him play for one season 

He seemed to have lost interest in club football in recent years, but still loved playing for Wales.  Tremendous player at his peak.   

I remember his first touch in his first game against Millwall. Can honestly say that it was immediately obvious that we had a proper player on our hands. I've never seen a young player look so at home. He was absolute quality, right from the very first touch.

It was gutting that he left, and horrible seeing him prosper at Spurs, but brilliant to see him become the world's best (or thereabouts) and know that we helped him on his path.

What a fantastic player.

• Like 1

I remember him regularly getting MOTM for us, which as a left back was quite something. Thought he was a special talent even then, but would never have guessed what he would become. Be nice to see him back at SMS, even for just a game as a club guest. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

His 5 Champions League winner medals suggest otherwise.

Yeah fair point, and he did score arguably the greatest champions league final goal of all time, but do you think any Madrid or La Liga fans will think of him as a club or league legend? I don't. 

Stayed at Spurs and they may well have managed to win the league the season Leicester did with him at his peak and Kane up top. 

5 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

I was at Derby away where he scored his first professional goal and it really doesn't feel that long ago. Been great to follow a career like that from a big-eared kid with us. Fair play to the lad, considering he has had plenty to contend with throughout.

Same. Incredible how fast life can pass you by. His free kick at home to Coventry the following Wednesday was even better.

5 time Champions League winner - made in Southampton.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Simon Clifford trying to take some of the credit 🤣🤣

4A5D3C31-0883-4E9F-91FB-AFFF1AF63C60.jpeg

Wise words. Every path is indeed different. Along some paths you develop an inflated ego, derived from overstating your influence on the success of others. Then, like Gareth, you will be on the outside looking in. Wanting to be part of things, but excluded as those inside think you're a bit of a tool. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

Clifford and Woodward "give Bale his U21s debut". That's news to me.

November 2005 was when Clifford left saints. I’m sure he was only actually with us for 3 or 4 months. 

in fairness my son trains twice a week at the current version of the Brazilian soccer school he set up, now run by a guy he mentored and it’s brilliant. It’s linked to Integer football which is his current project. I just wish he wouldn’t come out with this sort of shite as he makes him look a bellend and people not take all the good stuff seriously 

I think it would be fair to say that his "retiring post" is pretty mature and seems very balanced - a footballer wanting to give credit to others goes down well in my book.  Can't see someone like VVD being that balanced..... as a comparison, following that made by Stud mark (in trail).  Not a very good comparison given the way they have behaved over the years.

Of course Redknapp had to get his two penneth in on Sky Sports yesterday, completely glossing over the fact he dropped Bale then had to play him when they had an injury crisis, of course he scored, twitchy couldn’t drop him again, and the rest is history.

Im quite surprised rent a gob hasn’t given his views on Prince Harry’s book yet !!!

17 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

It seems he had he put ears back operation whilst at Spurs

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Of course Redknapp had to get his two penneth in on Sky Sports yesterday, completely glossing over the fact he dropped Bale then had to play him when they had an injury crisis, of course he scored, twitchy couldn’t drop him again, and the rest is history.

Im quite surprised rent a gob hasn’t given his views on Prince Harry’s book yet !!!

The media will have us believe that it was Redknapp who discovered and developed him!

3 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Didn't he nearly sell him to fund a move for Andy Reid? Or was it a swap deal? I know he nearly got sold to Forest anyway.

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Didn't he nearly sell him to fund a move for Andy Reid? Or was it a swap deal? I know he nearly got sold to Forest anyway.

Andy Reid was long gone from Spurs by then, but Arry was keen to get rid of Bale, I think one move might have been to Birmingham