Kamaldeen Sulemana

Sheaf Saint

Clearly one that Ankersen rates and knows from his time in the Danish league. He was the record export from that league at €15m (2021) and the fastest player at the World Cup recently. 

His stats aren’t impressive but hasn’t often started. You hope he’s a talent waiting to explode, but there is no denying there’s a huge element of risk spending your record transfer fee on potential when rooted to the foot of the PL. you wonder why hasn’t he been starting every game for Rennes if he’s a €25-30m player?

Like others, I feel we need a goalscorer in addition to ‘Kamaldeenho’. 

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 1

Seems like we're all in agreement in that this isn't a bad signing on it's own, we need pace and unpredictability across the front 3. I know it looks like a lot of money (which it is to the normal world!) but in football terms it's a pretty average fee, which is crazy to say.

But.....it would feel incredibly frustrating if we don't get a number 9 in conjunction with this, because it would almost make it null and void. I'd have personally put all effort and finance into securing a number 9, and leave the winger as a nice to have, but there we go.

• Like 1

Just now, goodymatt said:

I wonder if we could have signed a player like Sarr at Watford for a similar fee? It does feel the going rate with PL tax atm. Crazy to think Mané cost us £10-15m? Football is broken isn’t it.

Watford have been quoted as wanting £40m upwards for Sarr, and the main concern around him is his injury proneess for that figure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I wonder if we could have signed a player like Sarr at Watford for a similar fee? It does feel the going rate with PL tax atm. Crazy to think Mané cost us £10-15m? Football is broken isn’t it.

I mentioned a week ago why hadnt anyone gone for Sarr. Powerful and quick

He's going to be a very frustrating player to watch i think. A long way from being a finished product, still quite raw, but a lot of pace. Could be very effective in some situations, and could be very disappointing vs good right backs / centre backs (with a bit of pace / nous) about them... i.e. your Kyle Walkers etc. I don't think the fanbase will have enough patience given where we are sadly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

He's going to be a very frustrating player to watch i think. A long way from being a finished product, still quite raw, but a lot of pace. Could be very effective in some situations, and could be very disappointing vs good right backs / centre backs (with a bit of pace / nous) about them... i.e. your Kyle Walkers etc. I don't think the fanbase will have enough patience given where we are sadly.

I bet you had never heard of him until this thread appeared and already you have a firm opinion on his worth?

31 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Sulemana pretty much replaced Raphina (you could argue Doku did, but really it was a combo of both) who himself replaced Sarr at Rennes. Same pathway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kitch said:

Sulemana pretty much replaced Raphina (you could argue Doku did, but really it was a combo of both) who himself replaced Sarr at Rennes. Same pathway.

So based on that alone they seem to have a very good eye for wide attackers.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

So based on that alone they seem to have a very good eye for wide attackers.

Rennes have good recruitment, they go under the radar a lot. Lovro Majer is another they pulled in a while ago, absolute baller in midfield. I'd have quite liked Santamaria to be honest, decent holding midfielder, but with Alcaraz I reckon we've probably covered that now. Alcaraz certainly as good if not better.

Their academy is class, too. Camavinga came through it recently, and he's going to be one of the best midfielders in the world soon IMO.

10 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

That’s very interesting! In good company.

Yep, if Rennes identified them as a good wide player, they probably are. They tend to buy lightning-fast wingers with tricky feet. Like us, however, they struggle with strikers!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, once_bitterne said:

Do Banana Republic actually know what a 'striker' is?

How many goalshy wide players do we actually need?

Rennes' top scorer this season is a winger, maybe their board and ours share 'ideas' 😄

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Great, another player that doesn't show any end product and won't get the time and space against better defenders to do all the tricks and turns he does in the French league. 

Hope he does well but I'm very sceptical about this one. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Horribly one footed it seems, always amazes me how professional players reaching this level are so one footed. 

Considering truly two footed players are very rare maybe it's just an unreasonable expectation for someone to be able to do something that feels fundamentally unnatural? 

Was just in the car listening to the radio, they had their French expert talking about the transfer. He’s said that Rennes will be happy to cut their losses and effectively get back what they paid for him as he hasn’t hit expectations. Said he’s maybe one for the future but will take time.

Not overly optimistic in the short term about this one, given that, but we’ll just have to wait and see.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Quicker Sam Edozie

He’s just a quicker Sam Edozie

quicker Sam Edozie

just a quicker Sam Edozie

He's also technically an inferior player by some distance (bar finishing lets not even get started on Edozi's finishing)!

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

An awful lot of words to summarise a lack of end product 🤣😅

Gallows humour aside, i think he'll be an exciting if frustrating watch, but i am glad we've signed him and look forward to watching him play and develop.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Great, another player that doesn't show any end product and won't get the time and space against better defenders to do all the tricks and turns he does in the French league. 

Hope he does well but I'm very sceptical about this one. 

The modern day Adama Traore? Nearly 350 appearances on and people are still waiting for him to develop into something. Hopefully we can develop an end product out of him. We did if for Kenwyne Jones back in the day.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Kamaldeen Sulemana - Official: Signs 4.5 year Contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Kamaldeen Sulemana