Fans Forum

Appy

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Rasmus seemed to think the Man City performance was the way Jones “wants” to play, so let’s see on Saturday whether that is the case. 

So he's managed to get the players to play the way he "wants" to play once in thirteen games, and it depends on a top team turning in arguably their worst performance in years against us. That doesn't really bode well, does it?

• Like 14

Just now, stevegrant said:

So he's managed to get the players to play the way he "wants" to play once in thirteen games, and it depends on a top team turning in arguably their worst performance in years against us. That doesn't really bode well, does it?

I think there has to be a massive front footed performance this weekend to change fans ideas of what he is about. If we start playing like that every week, and start winning every week, then fair enough, but atm, that City result was the anomaly, not the others!

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, baggytrousers said:

A lot of sides lose out on that stat to City, particularly if they are 2-0 up against them.
If you are saying that was a bad performance then you saw a different game to me.

I’m not saying it’s a bad performance 😂

I’m saying that idea of just playing like that again is one I don’t think will go down well on Saturday. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the other 11 players on the pitch play a massive part in our performances and perception of performances. We have a squad that until this January was recruited for a manager who primarily focused on how we would set up without the ball. It makes us a very reactive team so when teams come to St Mary’s and put the onus on us, we struggle. Hopefully the new January signings help with that but let’s be honest, if we set up on Saturday to surrender the ball to Wolves, like we rightly did against City, it will take a maximum of 7 minutes before people are screaming to get stuck in, attack and push up. 

I just find it funny people seem to see the City game as a blueprint for going forward because they won’t stand for it against anyone else.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think there has to be a massive front footed performance this weekend to change fans ideas of what he is about. If we start playing like that every week, and start winning every week, then fair enough, but atm, that City result was the anomaly, not the others!

someone on twitter said the city game was a selles setup. it’s clear from luton when I watched them and the forest game, Jones football philosophy of high tempo is smash it up the park as quick as possible so expect more of that. 

It is obvious when he says about outside pressures, he means the fans against palace whereby since they chanted “your football is shit” we’ve tried to play more on the ground. it will resort back to what we were trying before. 

Ive tried to be supportive of NJ as I felt he wasnt given a fair crack from first minute. Even if he goes on a 5 game winning streak and the 6th he loses the fans will be back again calling for him to be gone. He has no chance.

Fans once they have made their mind up rarely change their minds. If we win Saturday it wont be because of him and his tactics, it will be because Wolves are deemed to be crap, and we should beat them.

As I say from the first minute we were down on him, I myself was incredulous but reasoned that the people choosing him must have known something us fans do not.

Most of the questions were good, to mention Lawrie Mac was a joke as he took us down the first season and was hated as much as NJ.

Then the why dont you go out shaking hands like the Hollywood filmstars lol, I couldnt care less about that, it means nothing

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Nothing this man can do will ever change my mind, im not a Man Utd, Liverpool fan i dont just support this club for results and to brag about them. I want to feel good about my club, i want to feel we try to do things the right way, id hope that our fan base would never sell our soul like Newcastle fans and cry and fight to get owners with morals like theirs.

The poor football is definitely not helping but i hate Jones on a personal level. I hate the way he talks, i hate the ways hes all about me(his use of pronouns in public conferences). He threw a 19 year old who is arguably been are standout player under a bus, what type of person does that. He did nothing to suggest he had earned the role. He is deluded, possibly mentally unstable has shown nothing in public that suggests he is at all likable and his football is shit with poor results.

I hate having him attached to the football club ive loved for many years and want him gone, end of.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't believe that Jones would turn down an offer to manage in the prem. Knowing what we know about him that seems completely out of character. 

Someone very close to him believes he did. My understanding is it wasn’t a rock solid offer, just a discussion. The take it or leave it solid offer was when Ralph left. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

6 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Ive tried to be supportive of NJ as I felt he wasnt given a fair crack from first minute. Even if he goes on a 5 game winning streak and the 6th he loses the fans will be back again calling for him to be gone. He has no chance.

No. Fans made up their minds that he was crap after we performed dreadfully against Lincoln, lost to Brighton, Fulham and Forest. We showed zero improvement from Ralph and actually looked far, far worse under him. 

Saints fans aren’t an unfair bunch. Overall we are extremely patient. But we believed what we saw, and made our minds up based on evidence. He stood a chance. He had a great chance, especially having a mini-preseason during the WC. He had every chance and he blew it. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

someone on twitter said the city game was a selles setup. it’s clear from luton when I watched them and the forest game, Jones football philosophy of high tempo is smash it up the park as quick as possible so expect more of that. 

It is obvious when he says about outside pressures, he means the fans against palace whereby since they chanted “your football is shit” we’ve tried to play more on the ground. it will resort back to what we were trying before. 

That’s the thing. It’s not clear at all. After Selles arrived we started playing 3 at the back all through preseason and most of our early games.  

Conversely when Luton had James Justin playing they played a really fluid 442 diamond and scored 94 goals in a season so you could easily argue that 3 at the back and hoof it forward is more Selles than Jones.

Bottom line is we don’t know what the truth is so when Rasmus talks about different reference points I’m assuming he’s referring to behind the scenes info he’s privvy to and we’re not and given his record at previous clubs I think there’s a case for seeing how it all plays out rather than thinking we know it all because of what some bloke on Twitter says.

• Like 2

Certainly the fans there let them know their thoughts on NJ. The Forum was better than I expected although there were a number of questions that we were unable to hear but had to guess from the answers.I still wonder if NJ will be on board if we lose on Saturday.

3 minutes ago, baggytrousers said:

That’s the thing. It’s not clear at all. After Selles arrived we started playing 3 at the back all through preseason and most of our early games.  

Conversely when Luton had James Justin playing they played a really fluid 442 diamond and scored 94 goals in a season so you could easily argue that 3 at the back and hoof it forward is more Selles than Jones.

Bottom line is we don’t know what the truth is so when Rasmus talks about different reference points I’m assuming he’s referring to behind the scenes info he’s privvy to and we’re not and given his record at previous clubs I think there’s a case for seeing how it all plays out rather than thinking we know it all because of what some bloke on Twitter says.

I’d say it’s clear. It’s clearly a load of bollox. 

It’s easy to say that the assistant (who was also assistant under the turgid football of Ralph), picked the team for our only decent performance. 

Im not sure that Selles has done to be seen as such a great figure by our fan base. 

• Like 1

Watched on YouTube and I thought the board came across very well, I thought they were realistic of our predicament but hinted they are prepared and the money and backing is there if the worst happens. They want long term success and a top 10 club. I like the fact they are not panicking and seem calm but clearly they aren’t happy like us. Everyone needs to get behind the team and we’ll see where we go, I do know that we’ll be down if the stadium is toxic, leave it till after.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

To be fair he only needs to get us playing like that 6 times in the remaining games plus a couple of plucky draws and we are safe(ish). Wont happen of course but ill support them to the end as he clearly aint going anywhere soon.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, STEVEADAMS said:

Watched on YouTube and I thought the board came across very well, I thought they were realistic of our predicament but hinted they are prepared and the money and backing is there if the worst happens. They want long term success and a top 10 club. I like the fact they are not panicking and seem calm but clearly they aren’t happy like us. Everyone needs to get behind the team and we’ll see where we go, I do know that we’ll be down if the stadium is toxic, leave it till after.

Rightly or wrongly, if we go a goal down it will be toxic.

Getting behind the team is easier when you're not losing and if atmospheres in the past are to go by, ship a goal and the atmosphere will turn as the fans know there's little chance we'll win from behind at home.

Just now, Sfcphilc said:

Rightly or wrongly, if we go a goal down it will be toxic.

Getting behind the team is easier when you're not losing and if atmospheres in the past are to go by, ship a goal and the atmosphere will turn as the fans know there's little chance we'll win from behind at home.

Ironically, one of the best atmospheres I’ve seen at St Mary’s for a long time, was when we were 9-0 down and all the fickle pricks had fucked off. 

The role of the fans is to get behind to team when the going gets tough. Backs against the walls 1-0 up or 2-0 down. 

On that front, we’re just as shit as the 11 players that are put out. 

The whole club is toxic at the minute and the fans are just as much to blame. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Dman said:

I’d say it’s clear. It’s clearly a load of bollox. 

It’s easy to say that the assistant (who was also assistant under the turgid football of Ralph), picked the team for our only decent performance. 

That’s the way it is. Anything good is somebody else, poor and it’s jones. If we win Sat it’ll be the players taking over, giving team talks or the fans forcing Jones’ hand. People were praising luton getting better post Jones, until Grimsby done them, then it’s back to Jones legacy. There’s enough to batter him with, without resorting to this type of pony. 

• Like 4

Just now, Dman said:

Ironically, one of the best atmospheres I’ve seen at St Mary’s for a long time, was when we were 9-0 down and all the fickle pricks had fucked off. 

Well the 9th goal was scored with the last kick of the game, the ref didn't give us time to kick off again, so it would make sense that everyone was fucking off at that point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

27 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Someone very close to him believes he did. My understanding is it wasn’t a rock solid offer, just a discussion. The take it or leave it solid offer was when Ralph left. 

A conversation I could believe. If he was formally offered the job in the summer then it would be madness to turn it down. 

26 minutes ago, baggytrousers said:

Am guessing that was the season Luton got promotion from League One? I think that's his level, that and a medicore Championship manager. He should never have got the chance to manage us, let alone whilst we are a Premier League team.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

Well the 9th goal was scored with the last kick of the game, the ref didn't give us time to kick off again, so it would make sense that everyone was fucking off at that point.

Ha! You know what I mean. 

16 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

To be fair he only needs to get us playing like that 6 times in the remaining games plus a couple of plucky draws and we are safe(ish). Wont happen of course but ill support them to the end as he clearly aint going anywhere soon.  

I disagree. From what the guys said last night, I think if we lose against Wolves it's over him.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Dman said:

Happy to say I was there and you’re so right. mad to think and dont know whether it’s recency bias but losing 9-0 still didn’t feel as low as forest imo. 

6 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I disagree. From what the guys said last night, I think if we lose against Wolves it's over him.

My view too.  I think the Board are appeasing Ankersen in giving Jones one game to 'do it my way' in an attempt to save his face.  Ankersen is very well aware that his appointment has been a disaster and is putting his ego before the club in allowing the charade to play out for another week.  I am getting the impression Semmens wasn't happy with the appointment and would have liked Jones removed at the weekend.      

• Like 3

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

Yep, that was pretty clear imo. 

Hence why the continuous questions about when is he going to be sacked/why is he here etc. we’re really bloody tedious. 

To be fair, after his outburst (rightly or wrongly) saying he’s doing it his way.. he kinda deserves one more game to see if it’s all talk. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Miltonaggro said:

My view too.  I think the Board are appeasing Ankersen in giving Jones one game to 'do it my way' in an attempt to save his face.  Ankersen is very well aware that his appointment has been a disaster and is putting his ego before the club in allowing the charade to play out for another week.  I am getting the impression Semmens wasn't happy with the appointment and would have liked Jones removed at the weekend.      

Semmens isn’t innocent. He kept Ralph 18 months longer than he should have. 

We had Howe in the palm of our hands. 

• Confused 1

The thing I keep going back to is the certain reference points thing, I appreciate what he means in that they have a wider context to look at, but surely the most important reference point of all is the league table and points on the board? Everything else is meaningless if the results aren't coming. I don't really understand that, I guess it's a way to quieten the supporters by inferring they know better - but actually we are the ones who see what really matters.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

53 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

No. Fans made up their minds that he was crap after we performed dreadfully against Lincoln, lost to Brighton, Fulham and Forest. We showed zero improvement from Ralph and actually looked far, far worse under him. 

Saints fans aren’t an unfair bunch. Overall we are extremely patient. But we believed what we saw, and made our minds up based on evidence. He stood a chance. He had a great chance, especially having a mini-preseason during the WC. He had every chance and he blew it. 

A lot of us yes, but read the posts as he arrived

• Like 1

Just now, Dman said:

Semmens isn’t innocent. He kept Ralph 18 months longer than he should have. 

We had Howe in the palm of our hands. 

Semmens is basically a kipper - spineless, gutless and prone to causing wind!

I think it is likely that he was behind Hassenhutl getting the 'stay of execution' until the World Cup break, and is now in a 'quid pro quo' situation with Ankersen regarding Jones.

5 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I thought he was a dodgy appointment, personally. Looked the cheap option and has proved to be. However, he had my support and he had a fair chance. I don’t think anyone booed him or sang negatively about him from the off.  

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Miltonaggro said:

I think it is likely that he was behind Hassenhutl getting the 'stay of execution' until the World Cup break, and is now in a 'quid pro quo' situation with Ankersen regarding Jones.

My understanding is that Semmens has had effectively zero input into the footballing side of things since the end of the January transfer window. Which is basically fine, he's the CEO, not the Director of Football.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stevegrant said:

My understanding is that Semmens has had effectively zero input into the footballing side of things since the end of the January transfer window. Which is basically fine, he's the CEO, not the Director of Football.

Would explain the face like a smacked arse in last night.

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The thing I keep going back to is the certain reference points thing, I appreciate what he means in that they have a wider context to look at, but surely the most important reference point of all is the league table and points on the board? Everything else is meaningless if the results aren't coming. I don't really understand that, I guess it's a way to quieten the supporters by inferring they know better - but actually we are the ones who see what really matters.

What they mean by that is that his metrics give him belief that over time the league situation will improve. He's taking a longer term view looking at his metrics and he's not going to be swayed by short term thing spoke immediate results. He's going to look very silly if we have a heavy defeat against wolves and he sacks him anyway (or more likely in a few weeks when we are mathematically down.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Would explain the face like a smacked arse in last night.

I'd suggest that if you or I were being blamed for something that is now beyond the scope of our job description (but the effective change wasn't really communicated to stakeholders), we'd be quite hacked off as well. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Most people were underwhelmed but prepared to give him a chance. I actually praised him and thought he spoke well at his first interview. It's only really from Forest onwards that the vast majority have been against him. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Absolutely this.

Ankersen is v similar to a senior operations manager I work with at the moment: Decent human being, but only sees process, tick box, checklist, flowchart, outcome. Team leaders are supported if they also buy into this view. The service we deliver could be appalling, but if enough of the metrics and 'reference points' are passable, he won't see it. If he's forced to see it, he drags his heels gracelessly before letting change happen.

As many have said, Jones has no class, no charisma, divisive toward the players, harps on about Luton endlessly, and blames everyone else [fans, Lavia, "pandering"] for the team's failure. It's worse than the final 3 months of a Mourinho team, without Mourinho's charm and the us-against-the-world success first. 

These aren't teething troubles or signs of a bad situation gradually improving. The board is obviously struggling within itself to acknowledge and act on this. Chop chop, lads.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

Fans once they have made their mind up rarely change their minds. If we win Saturday it wont be because of him and his tactics, it will be because Wolves are deemed to be crap, and we should beat them.

As I say from the first minute we were down on him, I myself was incredulous but reasoned that the people choosing him must have known something us fans do not.

Most of the questions were good, to mention Lawrie Mac was a joke as he took us down the first season and was hated as much as NJ.

Then the why dont you go out shaking hands like the Hollywood filmstars lol, I couldnt care less about that, it means nothing

Well, as has become very apparent, I'm afraid the people choosing Jones did not know something us fans don't. All the smoke and mirrors from Ankersen that things are all sweetness and light on the training ground and they see things we are not privy to which convince them Jones will turn this around is just fluff and bullshit. Unfortunately, unless we get absolutely smashed on Saturday, we are stuck with Jones and all of us are paying for Ankersen's self indulgence. I noticed he tried to deflect the blame away from solely himself by saying they decided on Jones as a collective and all had input - if that's the case we're in a worst position than I thought because this goes to prove they are all basket cases. 

44 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He kept hiding behind these "reference points" but nothing has transitioned to the games bar City game. Even the other games we've won were far from convincing and could have gone the other way.

We have zero identity.

We have no patterns of play.

Players constantly seeking instructions from him on where he wants them.

Leaking goals like a sieve still despite what Jones says especially from set pieces and crosses.

One goal from open play in SEVEN league games.

Very little creativity on show.  

There has been no sustained front-footed aggressive style other than the odd 5 minutes here and there. 

I personally think rasmus was hiding behind something that we couldn't as fans disprove as such as we don't see what happens day to day in training but the proof is in the pudding and the results and performances don't lie. Overall I think rasmus was being disingenuous at the forum and the fans saw through it. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Exactly this. The amount of wool being pulled over eyes and serial bullshitting from Ankersen in particular was mind blowing but clearly he has managed to get quite a few people on side.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Most people were underwhelmed but prepared to give him a chance. I actually praised him and thought he spoke well at his first interview. It's only really from Forest onwards that the vast majority have been against him. 

Yep, I'm completely with you on this. I was cautiously optimistic that he could prove to be a success, and I thought starting a 'Jones Out' thread immediately after the Brighton game was premature to say the least. But that Forest debacle, and his subsequent insistence that we actually played well (it was up there with the very worst Saints performances I have ever seen), tipped me over the edge.

We had that wonder week where we all dared to dream that we might have actually turned a corner, but he learned nothing from it and regressed back to the same turgid shite we had been subjected to prior to the Palace game (and let's be honest - we didn't play well in that game either and got very lucky with Guaita having a day to forget). 

That is more than enough evidence for me that he just isn't up to the challenge, and his general demeanour and beligerence are just the icing on the cake really. He's not only incompetent, he's a seriously unlikeable, narcissistic bullshitter along with it. Not a good combination at all. I will rejoice the day when he is no longer associated with the club, and I hope that day comes sooner rather than later.

• Like 4

Watched it back on YouTube last night. What we were allowed to see and hear was interesting. However, there was a lot of the discussion that was intentionally muted after, before being released to YT. I expect a lot of it was just repetitive chat, angry comments from the floor, that added nothing. However, I'd be grateful to have the comments from anyone present what was muted from general consumption.

24 minutes ago, saintant said:

I think the manner of the defeat will be a factor. Only if we are humiliated will they consider sacking him.

I think we are past that stage to be honest. We are at home to a team that has managed one away win all season (and that was against Everton).

We've spent a lot of money, if Jones can't get his new improved 'uncompromised' side to get three points in this match we might as well give up and accept relegation.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CamberwellSaint said:

Absolutely this.

Ankersen is v similar to a senior operations manager I work with at the moment: Decent human being, but only sees process, tick box, checklist, flowchart, outcome. Team leaders are supported if they also buy into this view. The service we deliver could be appalling, but if enough of the metrics and 'reference points' are passable, he won't see it. If he's forced to see it, he drags his heels gracelessly before letting change happen.

As many have said, Jones has no class, no charisma, divisive toward the players, harps on about Luton endlessly, and blames everyone else [fans, Lavia, "pandering"] for the team's failure. It's worse than the final 3 months of a Mourinho team, without Mourinho's charm and the us-against-the-world success first. 

These aren't teething troubles or signs of a bad situation gradually improving. The board is obviously struggling within itself to acknowledge and act on this. Chop chop, lads.

Yep. It's all those intangibles that you can't see in an excel spreadsheet that make it clear that he just isn't up to it. If you focus too much on the metrics then you're going to miss all that stuff. It's also what makes it clear why we missed all that sort of stuff in the summer with our signings. On paper we had a very strong squad but they missed all the intangibles like experience and ability to fight a relegation battle. 

2 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Perhaps this may show it to be differently Do you want Nathan Jones to Manage Southampton Football Club? - The Saints - SaintsWeb