Fans Forum

Appy

You only had to be in the stadium a few years back at home to Watford when we were 1-0 down to know that atmosphere definitely can have an effect. I’ve never seen someone wanting the ground to swallow him up as much as McCarthy when he put the ball out of play after lots of fan pressure to stop messing about with it at the back. I’ve heard plenty of managers and players talking about the impact of crowds during games, and nervousness/confidence that come and goes as a result, so it always seems perplexing to always see people who don’t play at that level saying it doesn’t - presumably they’re people who boo and shout abuse during games.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I think you will find it was not quite as vociferous as the media were very supportive and good words from Spain

rubbish, there was talk of protests at his first home game against Everton.

There were chants for Adkins during the game against Everton. I don't remember either of those things occurring at Brighton with Jones.

MP became popular because he won over fans with his aura and football, you could see after about 60mins v Everton that we looked better. That's what a capable manager can do, make a noticeable impact from the first game. All we've done under Jones is regress from a point we couldn't really regress from.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 10

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

There were chants for Adkins during the game against Everton. I don't remember either of those things occurring at Brighton with Jones.

MP became popular because he won over fans with his aura and football, you could see after about 60mins v Everton that we looked better. That's what a capable manager can do, make a noticeable impact from the first game. All we've done under Jones is regress from a point we couldn't really regress from.

Not like he had a shambles of squad that NJ has inherited though is it? Take a look at the squad Poch at his disposal as opposed to the utter bollox we had in November. How did it ever get so bad!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Not like he had a shambles of squad that NJ has inherited though is it? Take a look at the squad Poch at his disposal as opposed to the utter bollox we had in November. How did it ever get so bad!

I don't really buy the whole Nathan Jones inherited a shambles thing. This squad is stronger than last season. They'd been playing poorly. He had 5 weeks to instil his style of play. Now 3 months in no one is quite sure what that is. Other than Man City the performances haven't inspired confidence.

One thing is for sure, Poch came in and had the team playing the way he wanted quickly. He didn't waste time or energy banging on about how he'd been great in his previous job or answering back. He didn't talk down his predecessor's team or his players. He got his team to do the talking for him on the pitch and won everyone over that way.

• Like 16
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I remember it as a cold winter midweek(?) evening with the fans being somewhat unsure what to make of it all. The chants were for Adkins and grumbling at Cortese for how he had treated him. I don't remember any flack at all being directed at Poch. I went with my old man, sat in chapel, openminded on poch and gutted for Adkins. We both came away thinking things were going to be alright under Poch. I still think Adkins was on course to keep us up that year and it was a harsh sacking (somewhat cut short his managerial career if we're honest), but Poch was a different class of manager so 🤷‍♂️.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I remember it as a cold winter midweek(?) evening with the fans being somewhat unsure what to make of it all. The chants were for Adkins and grumbling at Cortese for how he had treated him. I don't remember any flack at all being directed at Poch. I went with my old man, sat in chapel, openminded on poch and gutted for Adkins. We both came away thinking things were going to be alright under Poch. I still think Adkins was on course to keep us up that year and it was a harsh sacking (somewhat cut short his managerial career if we're honest), but Poch was a different class of manager so 🤷‍♂️.

He would’ve kept us up, I’m certain of it. We were 15th when Nigel was sacked. His opening ten games in the PL were a disaster, 8 defeats and 4 points. Nigel’s next 12 games up to his sacking saw 4 wins, 6 draws, 2 defeats, 18 points. Very, very good form for a promoted side. No doubt that Poch took us on a notch, but the fans’ ire at the time was largely directed to perceived shabby treatment of Adkins and was not directed towards the new manager.

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

You only had to be in the stadium a few years back at home to Watford when we were 1-0 down to know that atmosphere definitely can have an effect. I’ve never seen someone wanting the ground to swallow him up as much as McCarthy when he put the ball out of play after lots of fan pressure to stop messing about with it at the back. I’ve heard plenty of managers and players talking about the impact of crowds during games, and nervousness/confidence that come and goes as a result, so it always seems perplexing to always see people who don’t play at that level saying it doesn’t - presumably they’re people who boo and shout abuse during games.

That is a completely different thing, that is a crowd on the backs of an underperforming team, yes we've all seen that. Was there much of that against Lincoln or Brighton?

What we are talking here is general discontent of fans, muttering in pubs and message boards being some sort of barrier to the manager performing properly. Which really isn't the case.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Yes, results wise 91st or 92nd in the calendar year is a shambles, 90th a mere blip. 

I think you’re being intentionally obtuse, Ive said before and Ill say it again, and to clarify, this isn’t a statement supporting Ralph far from it..

We looked a team under Ralph that genuinely was only a striker and possibly a creative midfielder away from being competetive

Under Jones we look a complete and utter shambles

The players have to shoulder the blame, but this is a better squad than the previous two seasons imo

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

We looked a team under Ralph that genuinely was only a striker and possibly a creative midfielder away from being competetive

Under Jones we look a complete and utter shambles

Rubbish.

We were a complete and utter shambles most of the past year under both of them. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Rubbish.

We were a complete and utter shambles most of the past year under both of them. 

I don't think Smirking Saint was at Newcastle at home in the league back in November 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Yes, results wise 91st or 92nd in the calendar year is a shambles, 90th a mere blip. 

Playing squad clearly poor for both managers. The main criticism we're all levelling at Jones is his persona and the way he has carried himself in the recent post match interviews. Clearly struggling under the pressure of it all and should never have come out like that to attack the fans and criticise the players. As Semmens said, "stupid", and something that has very likely caused irreparable damage. Take that out of the equation and in fairness he probably does deserve the chance to use the new signings... just as Ralph actually deserved to be given a decent striker, winger, and someone other than Diallo/AMN to play in CDM!!

When Ralph had a competitive attack, we were a very good side... Who thinks they'll be saying the same about Jones in a months time? 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

Not sure if there is anything else to debate about Jones tbh, all sane supporters know that he’s an absolute moron and has shown zero ability, despite what Rasmus claims, to be unable improve the team, get the team to play decent attacking football, defend properly and produce positive results, we are fuckin terrible and getting worse

All he’s managed do is spout bullshit about how good he is, piss off several players, 99% of fans and some board members.

What an utterly stupid appointment the club have made……

He needs to fuck off for everyone’s sake including his own…….. Now is not soon enough

• Like 11

End of the day though we were shit under Ralph,and jones hasn’t managed to turn it around yet. The differance Being Ralph had four years to shape this squad and this is what jones has inherited..

I don’t think sports republic are the types that just looked at jones and brought him in to save us from relegation they probably viewed him as a long term project, liked his metrics, liked that he had little Luton punching above their weight. They probably see him as their next Thomas frank 

A lot of the reason that both Ralph and now jones struggled this season had to be down to the fact we didn’t have a goal scorer, etc it’s taken sports republic all of January to rectify this so they may as well at least back their man and see what he can do with the new weapons now 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

they may as well at least back their man and see what he can do with the new weapons now 

Unfortunately, the biggest weapon will still be stood in the technical area, furiously waving his arms around like a fucking lunatic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I don’t think sports republic are the types that just looked at jones and brought him in to save us from relegation they probably viewed him as a long term project, liked his metrics, liked that he had little Luton punching above their weight. They probably see him as their next Thomas frank 

I'm sure that's exactly how Ankersen views the muppet, just like Reed saw Pellegrino as the new Pochettino. And like Reed did with the Clown, who didn't want to sack him when everyone and their dog knew he was out of his depth, the same is happening with Ankersen and his Welsh muppet.

And in both cases they cling desperately to the belief that bringing in new players justifies giving their disastrous cock-up choices more time to prove themselves.

The parallels are startling and depressing. This difference is that this time we don't have three crap teams below us to save us.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

I'm sure that's exactly how Ankersen views the muppet, just like Reed saw Pellegrino as the new Pochettino. And like Reed did with the Clown, who didn't want to sack him when everyone and their dog knew he was out of his depth, the same is happening with Ankersen and his Welsh muppet.

And in both cases they cling desperately to the belief that bringing in new players justifies giving their disastrous cock-up choices more time to prove themselves.

The parallels are startling and depressing. This difference is that this time we don't have three crap teams below us to save us.

Pellegrino had a good 5-6 months in charge though. So it was really evident it was a lost cause.. personally I don’t think we are that stage with jones yet.. it’s only been a month 

Sure results have been poor so far but we all know we had glaring holes with no clinical strikers, lack of creativity in the side and a goalkeeper who cant save anything.. we all wanted a striker on the first of January but it didn’t happen until the end of the window.

I think this squad pre transfers was worse then what pellegrino had to deal with actually…

after his outburst last weekend he’s promised to do things his own way now, no more excuses.. two new signings let’s see what he can now 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, pimpin4rizeal said:

Pellegrino had a good 5-6 months in charge though. So it was really evident it was a lost cause.. personally I don’t think we are that stage with jones yet.. it’s only been a month 

Sure results have been poor so far but we all know we had glaring holes with no clinical strikers, lack of creativity in the side and a goalkeeper who cant save anything.. we all wanted a striker on the first of January but it didn’t happen until the end of the window.

I think this squad pre transfers was worse then what pellegrino had to deal with actually…

after his outburst last weekend he’s promised to do things his own way now, no more excuses.. two new signings let’s see what he can now 

Let's not kid ourselves that he's only had a month. He has been here since the start of November, he had the entire WC break to mould and build whatever he wanted to do. We came out of that WC with our 'saving' run of fixtures, and we tossed them all away so he's pretty much relegated us.

We are a lost cause and we're just prolonging the agony at the moment.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Let's not kid ourselves that he's only had a month. He has been here since the start of November, he had the entire WC break to mould and build whatever he wanted to do. We came out of that WC with our 'saving' run of fixtures, and we tossed them all away so he's pretty much relegated us.

We are a lost cause and we're just prolonging the agony at the moment.

Having the World Cup break wasn’t really gonna get rid of the flaws like turning che into a clinical striker or make our uncreative wingers creative suddenly.. 

let’s be honest this was the worse Southampton strikeforce we have had since we have been in the top flight.. 

we could have done with getting our business done early but we didn’t and have had to limp along as we were I don’t think there’s a magic wand for that 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Having the World Cup break wasn’t really gonna get rid of the flaws like turning che into a clinical striker or make our uncreative wingers creative suddenly.. 

let’s be honest this was the worse Southampton strikeforce we have had since we have been in the top flight.. 

we could have done with getting our business done early but we didn’t and have had to limp along as we were I don’t think there’s a magic wand for that 

I agree with the assessments around our strike force but he’s made us defensively worse than we were previously and we look like we have even less of an identity

Like it or not he had the WC break, sent them off on holiday, said he couldn’t work with them because they weren’t all here (we had the joint least away) and went into Lincoln and Forest like a bunch of headless chickens

His tactics were 5 at the back snd long diagonals, a system we’ve tried and failed with before, puts us under greater pressure with less creativity and expects 3/4 players under 6 foot to try to win aerial duels

We’ve had the easiest run of fixtures I can remember over a few seasons now, and out of a possible 21 points we’ve walked away with 3

I do not see, under any context how he should be given more time

• Like 11

5 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Agree about strikers but how do you condone going into a semi final without your best midfielder and for me the best defender in DCC? How can you play a right back never played in Prem before and a centre half who had played 1 cup game all season?

• Like 2

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

Agree about strikers but how do you condone going into a semi final without your best midfielder and for me the best defender in DCC? How can you play a right back never played in Prem before and a centre half who had played 1 cup game all season?

And his excuse was 'we have to learn another system'. In a semi final, ffs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

In the Premier League relegation battle, clean sheets are more valuable than goals, and he keeps telling us he was the best in Europe for "things like" clean sheets. We got a clutch of pretty good defensive players so it the time he has had we should be racking up a few clean sheets, right? Right?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

So after one fans forum it's "poor Nathan, he just needs time and a striker"?. We ain't got time, and he'll never be the answer, regardless of the players he's given. 

As for the world cup break, all does is show what happens if Jones is given time  We only had a couple of players away, and he had a month+ to work with the squad, improve players, make a system gel, etc. We managed to somehow come out if that break worse than we went in. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I agree with the assessments around our strike force but he’s made us defensively worse than we were previously and we look like we have even less of an identity

How many times does he need to say it?  We Ar3 HarDEr to BEat NoW!  (Except for the games where we've been beaten quite easily).

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, tdmickey3 said:

Not sure if there is anything else to debate about Jones tbh, all sane supporters know that he’s an absolute moron and has shown zero ability, despite what Rasmus claims, to be unable improve the team, get the team to play decent attacking football, defend properly and produce positive results, we are fuckin terrible and getting worse

All he’s managed do is spout bullshit about how good he is, piss off several players, 99% of fans and some board members.

What an utterly stupid appointment the club have made……

He needs to fuck off for everyone’s sake including his own…….. Now is not soon enough

One aspect that you have missed is the impact that the Fan’s Forum will have on the man himself. 

Nobody with an ounce of self awareness and self respect would want to continue in the job after watching and hearing what was said about him on Tuesday evening. 

It would be an arrogant and totally insensitive person indeed who could ignore that and think that he can brush it aside and just carry on as usual  

Also what will the players think having heard all that abuse piled on their manager. It is bound to affect their attitude towards him and their willingness to respond. 

I really do think we have crossed a point of no return. What has been said cannot be unsaid. The damage is done and is permanent. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

One aspect that you have missed is the impact that the Fan’s Forum will have on the man himself. 

Nobody with an ounce of self awareness and self respect would want to continue in the job after watching and hearing what was said about him on Tuesday evening. 

It would be an arrogant and totally insensitive person indeed who could ignore that and think that he can brush it aside and just carry on as usual  

Also what will the players think having heard all that abuse piled on their manager. It is bound to affect their attitude towards him and their willingness to respond. 

I really do think we have crossed a point of no return. What has been said cannot be unsaid. The damage is done and is permanent. 

All very true. 

Whilst obviously doubting his ability, and disliking his unnecessary comments, I do feel for anyone who is going through something like this. 

You can't blame him for wanting the job, and he wouldn't choose to do badly then crumble under pressure. 

The club need to think about team performance, but also is he going to get through this OK. 

I guess he, and the board, know fans are fickle. He hasn't built much credit (as was seen after three wins recently) but a clean sheet win on Saturday would ease some pressure. 

If we won 6 straight games (can't see it happening) talk of the sack would stop. He prob thinks there is chance he can do this. 

I always find it interesting that every manager would be sacked after a run of defeats, how long they last depends on expectations and any built up credit. 

A pundit was on radio saying Klopp wouldn't be sacked. Clearly he would (or would walk) if he keeps losing. 

16 hours ago, OldNick said:

I think you will find it was not quite as vociferous as the media were very supportive and good words from Spain

There were a few eyebrows raised in the media, same it was with Nathan, Pochettino then kept his council and produced results, Nathan sent the team backwards results wise and had a meltdown in from of the cameras, the media smell blood and pounce.

30 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

There were a few eyebrows raised in the media, same it was with Nathan, Pochettino then kept his council and produced results, Nathan sent the team backwards results wise and had a meltdown in from of the cameras, the media smell blood and pounce.

That is a very good point. Poch used his pretend inability to not do deep interviews at first, Id forgotten that

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

Kept his council?   Poch hid behind an interpreter while with us...

12 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Kept his council?   Poch hid behind an interpreter while with us...

exactly, we know he could speak English as he did when he joined Spurs, I suspect he hid behind his interpreter so he could avoid any awkward questions and saying something he might regret, it's just a pity Nathan didn't say he could only speak Welsh and hide behind an interpreter

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

He had that break to stamp his brand and style on the team - I'm still waiting to see what that is because so far all I've seen is a manager juggling players and formations resembling a blind man trying to spin plates.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

His tactics were 5 at the back snd long diagonals, a system we’ve tried and failed with before, puts us under greater pressure with less creativity and expects 3/4 players under 6 foot to try to win aerial duels

Vestergaard was dong that under Ralph when we were mildly successful under him

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Personally I thought he got off quite lightly at the Fan's Forum.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

In the Premier League relegation battle, clean sheets are more valuable than goals, and he keeps telling us he was the best in Europe for "things like" clean sheets. We got a clutch of pretty good defensive players so it the time he has had we should be racking up a few clean sheets, right? Right?

Fair but you do need both. 0-0 for the rest of the season wont give us enough points but nearly enough.

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

Personally I thought he got off quite lightly at the Fan's Forum.

People are a lot braver behnd a computer or Twitter etc, face to face they become for more reasoned and polite. Quite truthfully if you if you met 'influencers' in real life you wouldn't take a seconds notice as they are weirdo's in the main. Twitter the world where the unhinged get their say and people listen.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, OldNick said:

People are a lot braver behnd a computer or Twitter etc, face to face they become for more reasoned and polite. Quite truthfully if you if you met 'influencers' in real life you wouldn't take a seconds notice as they are weirdo's in the main. Twitter the world where the unhinged get their say and people listen.

That includes ALL of us on here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, West end Saints said:

All very true. 

Whilst obviously doubting his ability, and disliking his unnecessary comments, I do feel for anyone who is going through something like this. 

You can't blame him for wanting the job, and he wouldn't choose to do badly then crumble under pressure. 

The club need to think about team performance, but also is he going to get through this OK. 

I guess he, and the board, know fans are fickle. He hasn't built much credit (as was seen after three wins recently) but a clean sheet win on Saturday would ease some pressure. 

If we won 6 straight games (can't see it happening) talk of the sack would stop. He prob thinks there is chance he can do this. 

I always find it interesting that every manager would be sacked after a run of defeats, how long they last depends on expectations and any built up credit. 

A pundit was on radio saying Klopp wouldn't be sacked. Clearly he would (or would walk) if he keeps losing. 

CHDAJFU ?

38 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

That includes ALL of us on here.

Yep, but I have met quite a few on here when we did the the forum football matches and they all were a sound bunch. I m sure I met Smirking who was a spectator and he was decent, met Master Bates at games and he is also a great lad

8 hours ago, OldNick said:

Fair but you do need both. 0-0 for the rest of the season wont give us enough points but nearly enough.

Through an entire season it would easily keep you up.

It won't now but that's because the Welsh wonder has lost 6 out of 7 league matches.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Listening to the forum for the first time. 

You can tell how uncomfortable the board are with these Nathan Jones questions.

Listening to it again I am struck by the feeble responses from Ankersen. His pathetic excuse that they see more reference points than we do showing how well Jones is performing is actually insulting people's intelligence. Then, when one fan challenged him to name the specific reference points, the best he could do was mumble something about how well training is going and how good a relationship Jones has with the players - well, none of that is bringing improvement of performances on the pitch or results in case he hasn't noticed. He's clutching at straws rather than admit he's made a monumental mistake.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, saintant said:

Listening to it again I am struck by the feeble responses from Ankersen. His pathetic excuse that they see more reference points than we do showing how well Jones is performing is actually insulting people's intelligence. Then, when one fan challenged him to name the specific reference points, the best he could do was mumble something about how well training is going and how good a relationship Jones has with the players - well, none of that is bringing improvement of performances on the pitch or results in case he hasn't noticed. He's clutching at straws rather than admit he's made a monumental mistake.

Possibly Rasmus has been looking at the forum, and didn't want to say xG in case it started a riot. 🙂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, saintant said:

Listening to it again I am struck by the feeble responses from Ankersen. His pathetic excuse that they see more reference points than we do showing how well Jones is performing is actually insulting people's intelligence.

It's 'The Emperors New Clothes' type of bollocks. 

As I've said before, a fairy tale by Hans Christian Ankersen.

• Like 1