Jesse Marsch

saintscottofthenortham

Marsch totally fluked keeping them up last time. God knows why he's seen as some magician. But the crucial thing that Ankersen clearly liked from the meeting that definitely didn't happen today (Fareham Saint) is that he failed at Leeds. So a shoo in. Absolutely barmy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

It is always hard to get excited about a manager who has 1. just been sacked by a similar level team and 2. is basically hated by that fanbase, but I sadly just cannot see a better (realistic) option. 

Fully behind him, just don't be a cunt in your pressers and we're off to a better start. Leeds away likely as your first game, if he can't get them fired up for that then what's the point.

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

It is always hard to get excited about a manager who has 1. just been sacked by a similar level team and 2. is basically hated by that fanbase, but I sadly just cannot see a better (realistic) option. 

Fully behind him, just don't be a cunt in your pressers and we're off to a better start. Leeds away likely as your first game, if he can't get them fired up for that then what's the point.

He is categorically not hated by their fan base, I can promise you that.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Interested to see where you've got that from, as I haven't seen a single Leeds response to this news which hasn't been met with something along the lines of "that's one relegation spot confirmed". I don't mean hate as a person, if that's what you're alluding to instead.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

My best mate is a Leeds fan - he says that he's a good man manager but they thought he was tactically out of his depth. However he admitted that they did keep the ball well and played some decent football and he was slightly hamstrung by the lack of a decent striker. 

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Ok, that's your thought on this - so who would you appoint who isn't embarrassing in your eyes? It's easy to scream 'No' and then not provide any valid alternatives.

I wanted Dyche. Would have been perfect.

Now? Bielsa. Let him build a long term project.

Gallardo. At an absolute push Gerard, or if we were building in a different way, I'd interview somebody like Russell Martin at Swansea. Left field suggestion would be Southgate to do it part time (good on building a 'culture') until Potter is sacked and takes the England job.

But bloody hell. Jesse Marsch.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

My best mate is a Leeds fan - he says that he's a good man manager but they thought he was tactically out of his depth. However he admitted that they did keep the ball well and played some decent football and he was slightly hamstrung by the lack of a decent striker. 

Bamford missed a large part of last season.

We clearly aren't in a position where an absolutely ideal candidate suddenly comes up and is really keen to join in our position.

Is Marsch perfect? No

Does he have some attributes that would suit us? Yes. He knows the league, plays a style that our squad is recruited for, gives young players a chance and is a positive type of character which is what we need. 

Not saying he is an exciting appointment but he is the type that might be a decent long term bet for us, and someone who is well versed in the multi club model we are trying to build.

I can see why we have gone for him, with a limited pool available and a poor position to be recruiting from.

• Like 3

Could be another unmitigated disaster. Not only would he be under massive pressure from the start to get results, as soon as he fails to achieve that (which is likely), he will start getting pelters about being rubbish, sacked by a team in a similar position, being a yank and not understanding the english game etc etc. Hardly setting him up for success. I know our bar is set low (don't be a mad cunt at pressers, select players in their recognised positions, don't play 5th choice CBs etc), but Marsch will come with baggage which may make his task even harder than it already will be

Edited by Golac's Cunning Stunts
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Could be another unmitigated disaster. Not only would he be under massive pressure from the start to get results, as soon as he fails to achieve that (which is likely), he will start getting pelters about being rubbish, sacked by a team in a similar position, being a yank and not understanding the english game etc etc. Hardly setting him up for success. I know our bar is set low (don't be a cunt at pressers, select players in their recognised positions, don't play 5th choice CBs etc), but Marsch will come with baggage which may make his task even harder than it already will be

I think we will win a few games with Marsch in charge but it won't be enough to stay up. The damage has already been done in my view. The board had two options - get in a firefighter like Big Sam who has no long term future here or hire someone who could potentially keep us up but if they don't, could do well with a young squad in the championship. 

5 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Could be another unmitigated disaster. Not only would he be under massive pressure from the start to get results, as soon as he fails to achieve that (which is likely), he will start getting pelters about being rubbish, sacked by a team in a similar position, being a yank and not understanding the english game etc etc. Hardly setting him up for success. I know our bar is set low (don't be a mad cunt at pressers, select players in their recognised positions, don't play 5th choice CBs etc), but Marsch will come with baggage which may make his task even harder than it already will be

Any appointment could be an unmitigated disaster.  Whoever is appointed will be under massive pressure from the start and if they don't get results will get stick for being rubbish.  Most of the potential (realistic) candidates have been sacked by clubs in similar positions. 

So really the only point out of all that is that he's American.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Why is everything 'embarrassing' these days?

Not everything is. But supporting Saints during this period, when we have had to endure watching a manager having a mental breakdown live on TV, appointed out of his depth by a management team that trusts being 'outliers' with blind faith in dodgy statistics to offer multi-million pound contracts when seemingly everyone else in the country can see that it is bats puts us firmly into 'laughing stock' territory, which will be further enhanced by the compounding appointment of this 'soccerball' chancer who fluked survival at Leeds last season and was sacked by that relegation rival because of his most recent appalling history of results. That's why this would be embarrassing.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Was hoping for either a short-term unity candidate(which he ain't) or someone with eye to getting a quick return from championship (which he looks as massive a gamble as Jones was in the prem). There's high possibility of us just becoming more of a laughing stock, the club that not only went through 3 managers but actually appointed someone another club got rid of because he was relegating them.

• Like 1

As Morse said on another thread, "Any well dressed Spaniard yes." Their teams don't seem to get relegated but English/Welshies that's another matter .... Scott Parker, Dean Smith, NJ....

Marsch, it's spelt Germanic. We have a chance. Like others have said, he'll almost certainly stay with us in the championship; he encourages youth; he comes across as a good man-manager. We could and have done a lot worse, so I wouldn't be disappointed with him as our manager.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, DT said:

Gallardo. At an absolute push Gerard, or if we were building in a different way, I'd interview somebody like Russell Martin at Swansea. Left field suggestion would be Southgate to do it part time (good on building a 'culture') until Potter is sacked and takes the England job.

What does anyone know about Gallardo? I'm generally interested. I don't know a great deal about him, I've heard he's done a lot at River Plate and doesn't speak English - why is he so rated? I've never seen the bloke manage a team.

Why would you look at Russell Martin and Gerrard ahead of Marsch? That's crazy. I don't see any of those names as viable alternatives to Marsch, some of them are 10x worse.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

Happy enough with Marsch - think people have short memories. He kept an absolutely awful Leeds side up and some of the performances this season were pretty good. Is he the best manager out there? No, but this appointment makes a lot more sense to me than Nathan Jones. If he's happy to stick with us in the Championship and build something (if the worst happens) then all the better.

35 minutes ago, DT said:

Marsch totally fluked keeping them up last time. God knows why he's seen as some magician. But the crucial thing that Ankersen clearly liked from the meeting that definitely didn't happen today (Fareham Saint) is that he failed at Leeds. So a shoo in. Absolutely barmy.

Stop crying all the time. You’re such a fucking pussy

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Interested to see where you've got that from, as I haven't seen a single Leeds response to this news which hasn't been met with something along the lines of "that's one relegation spot confirmed". I don't mean hate as a person, if that's what you're alluding to instead.

I work with a Leeds fan so I thought I'd ask, he liked him. Said he brought some togetherness last season and their issues this season have been heavily down to luck, not so much what he's doing wrong. (although he did bring up the narrowness of his game) He felt he had to go based on results, as it’s a result business, but the bigger picture shows him as being unlucky rather than out of his depth or dreadful.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

we had fans claiming Saints had a 9 or 10/10 summer transfer window.....

• Haha 1

Because I met Russell a few times, my kids played in his academy, he's a nice guy, knows his football, and has a future, I believe. If they want to go the risky route (ie accept we're down) but build in the Championship, I think he'd be good, as a cultural fit. Same could be said of Southgate or Potter (although the latter ship has probably sailed). Strikes me there is so much wrong at the club that it needs a complete new culture and we need that kind of manager instilled. Only suggested Gerrard as best of that bad ex-player trio and Gallardo as he is highly regarded. Marsch just looks desperate piece of fantasy, and belief in the magical Ankersen failure theory, Which we now know is a load of old balls.

• Like 1

Just now, DT said:

Because I met Russell a few times, my kids played in his academy, he's a nice guy, knows his football, and has a future, I believe. If they want to go the risky route (ie accept we're down) but build in the Championship, I think he'd be good, as a cultural fit. Same could be said of Southgate or Potter (although the latter ship has probably sailed). Strikes me there is so much wrong at the club that it needs a complete new culture and we need that kind of manager instilled. Only suggested Gerrard as best of that bad ex-player trio and Gallardo as he is highly regarded. Marsch just looks desperate piece of fantasy, and belief in the magical Ankersen failure theory, Which we now know is a load of old balls.

Southgate. From England world cup semi final, runners up in the Euro's, to the Championship

you ok mate?

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Southgate. From England world cup semi final, runners up in the Euro's, to the Championship

you ok mate?

Not saying it is likely or will happen, just that it is an interesting thought if he packs it in with England and doesn't want the pressure of a big club. More of a project.

36 minutes ago, DT said:

So the guy who got relegated last season would have been ideal, but the guy who came in and kept Leeds up after the great Bielsa had them shipping four goals a game would be an embarrassment?

Marsch wouldn’t be an awe-inspiring appointment but he’d be realistic for a club in our position and a lot of the hate he gets just comes from people being anti-American as much as anything.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Just looked at Marsch record, 37 games with a pretty average Leeds side with some key injuries - I’d say similar squad to what we currently have so record of 11 wins and 10 draws = 43 points. Not brilliant but we’ve seen worse..

Leeds might not have a better squad, but they have a better, more experienced and routined starting 11.

Not top 10, but they should be at least tracking Palace for performance with a manager that can read and manage the match, and respond effectively rather than just set a team up to play nicely but poorly prepared for when the wind turns. I feel Marsch and Bielsa were the latter. 

I'm not sure Jesse Marsch "saved" them from relegation - yes, he did get almost as many wins in the last 12 games as Bielsa up to the point of resignation (4 vs. 5), but two of those were against the season's zombie teams Norwich (last minute win) and Watford, plus a final day with survival out of their direct control, without even playing Burnley (and so just purely out of their bad performance) - that was not the case when he joined.

He also took 5 games to get a win - we can't afford that right now without things spiralling out of control again. 

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Russell is having a miserible time at Swansea though, so I'm not sure how he would be any better than Jones. 

I genuinly don't know why people are so strongly against Marsch, yet in the same breath talk up Russell Martin and Gerrard.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DT said:

Southgate is an appalling manager and someone i do no want to see even being linked with the Saints job. At the time, one of the main saving graces of sacking Ralph when we did was that we couldn't hire Southgate as a replacement... Somehow we managed to do the unthinkable and find someone who plays and even shitter version of 5 at the back than Southgate - i didn't even consider that was a possibility before jones.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

What does anyone know about Gallardo? I'm generally interested. I don't know a great deal about him, I've heard he's done a lot at River Plate and doesn't speak English - why is he so rated? I've never seen the bloke manage a team.

Why would you look at Russell Martin and Gerrard ahead of Marsch? That's crazy. I don't see any of those names as viable alternatives to Marsch, some of them are 10x worse.

Pep thinks he's the mutts nuts. Apart from that, nothing.

2 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

The board know we are down.  Marsch is likely prepared to drop into the Championship and should be a good addition in that sense. Having time to bed him in for a push for promotion isn’t a bad idea on paper. 

And if he did keep us up, he'd be a hero. He has the coaching credentials , but who knows why some managers are successful and others not?, Look at Strachan , Coventry fans said he was rubbish.

8 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Southgate is an appalling manager and someone i do no want to see even being linked with the Saints job. At the time, one of the main saving graces of sacking Ralph when we did was that we couldn't hire Southgate as a replacement... Somehow we managed to do the unthinkable and find someone who plays and even shitter version of 5 at the back - i didn't even think that was possible before jones.

Absolute bollocks.

• Like 2

I was against Marsch initially but realistically he's probably about as good as we can hope for. Most of us don't believe we have any chance of avoiding the drop and, to be fair, it was always going to happen eventually on our budget. Willing to be open minded and give Marsch a chance to see what he can do - he'll be working with a different set of players so perhaps he can get a tune out of our under achievers. Plus I don't think there are many other options in our predicament - beggars can't be choosers and all that. As long as we don't end up with someone out of the blue chosen by the wise one Rasmus Fecking Ankersen using his clever algorithm.

I’m not thrilled or excited about him, but when I think about it, it’s not really him per se that leaves me feeling a bit ambivalent. It’s more the realisation of where we are as a club. 

Whilst we’re bang up against it, we’re clearly not down and far stranger things have happened than someone in our predicament staying up given there’s a lot of games left and we’ve (hopefully) strengthened in the window. That said, any manager who is currently at a top flight club will surely be put off by the fact they could be relegated and managing a second tier team through no fault of their own. 

It’s a shame but we’re suddenly shopping in a different manager market to the one we’ve been in for the last decade (even though some appointments were crap). I would’ve loved Emery for instance, but even if we were looking when Villa were, I doubt he’d have chosen us. 

I know it’s hard, but if we fixate on the fact a manager has previously “failed” and has therefore been sacked then we aren’t going to be happy with anyone. Dyche, Howe and Benitez for instance have all failed. 

Whilst it’s underwhelming, I just hope we give him time. He did do well keeping Leeds up and he did have them going well earlier this season. We’ve seen what can happen to a good manager who doesn’t have goals in the team so should be able to view his time there with context. 

If he comes we really need to start without any prejudices and give him time. He seem like a different beast to jones so will hopefully get the time and patience we (rightly) didn’t give Jones. If we get on his back prematurely and keep up the toxicity it will only go from bad to worse. Like it or not, we will have a big part to play!

• Like 1

I don’t think we can attract a manager better than Marsch in our situation. His style suits us (I mustn’t be the only one that has watched Leeds this season and thought they were a decent watch?), he’s positive (we are crying out for that), he’s used to the multi club model we are building. I would support this appointment and actually in some way would be a little disappointed if we ended up with a Gerrard/Lampard instead.

• Like 3