Jesse Marsch

saintscottofthenortham

10 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

don’t know why I find this so funny when he starts swearing 

Playing devils advocate - That has all the hallmarks of the Jones training video that the club's media team thought was a good idea to share.

God willing, the players will be aggressive enough this time around.

For the record, i'm not against Marsch - we could do an awful lot worse, he has had Leeds playing some pretty good football lately (but very unlucky), and he may well work out quite well for us. I am far from convinced he can come in and keep us up this year however.

Edited by Saint86

14 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Playing devils advocate - That has all the hallmarks of the Jones training video that the club's media team thought was a good idea to share.

For the record, i'm not against Marsch - we could do an awful lot worse, he has had Leeds playing some pretty good football lately (but very unlucky), and he may well work out quite well for us. I am far from convinced he can come in and keep us up this year however.

It really doesn't. Not saying it's the greatest thing ever and I find Americans as grating as the next Brit but its nowhere near the same level of cringe. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Not sure how this video has any of the hallmarks of the Jones training video. All I see is a manager giving a good half time rallying call to his players. What am I missing?

• Like 1

I find the nickname ‘Yank Lampard’ ridiculous. Leeds were a decent watch, attacking football end to end. Lampard is a manager that did well at derby with cheat code loan signings from Chelsea links and then failed everywhere else. The only manager to suffer a premier league defeat to Nathan Jones as well!

• Like 3

I think a more illustrative video doing the rounds is the one where he greats Gnonto when he arrived t Leeds.

Young people/players are impressionable and Marsch made him feel included and important from the moment he met him. I think he will really embrace the younger players and maybe even begin to give the illusive "pathway" for players lie Ballard etc.

I know the math suggests we are fairly close to getting out of it, but I am fairly resigned to relegation. Someone who can get a recognisable style of play, mix in some of the youth players with a solid core of players I think we could have some fun next season. Which in the grand scheme of things is all I really want from watching football

Edited by Mr Nimbus
  • Like 5

56 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

If your statement is true(that only bad managers will take the job because we are seen to be relegated), read the room and put caretaker in charge and do a proper reset in the summer. I've already said if you are looking for pedigree Benitez stands out a mile (only failure was everton where he was despised from the off)

Not sure where I said we'd only get bad managers mate, you made that up. What we won't get are people who at the start of the season who saw us a forward career step. 

Who would come here as a caretaker? Really easy to say something like that, but who would you realistically suggest? 

19 minutes ago, egg said:

Not sure where I said we'd only get bad managers mate, you made that up. What we won't get are people who at the start of the season who saw us a forward career step. 

Who would come here as a caretaker? Really easy to say something like that, but who would you realistically suggest? 

I thought you were implying we could only get a failure like Marsch from your 'who do you expect us to get given our position statement'

Selles is the most obvious caretaker till the end of the season.

• Confused 1

Just now, Baird of the land said:

I thought you were implying we could only get a failure like Marsch from your 'who do you expect us to get given our position statement'

Why do we want a caretaker with absolutely no managerial experience? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

99% of managers are ‘failures’ who have been sacked.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

I think a more illustrative video doing the rounds is the one where he greats Gnonto when he arrived t Leeds.

Young people/players are impressionable and Marsch made him feel included and important from the moment he met him. I think he will really embrace the younger players and maybe even begin to give the illusive "pathway" for players lie Ballard etc.

I know the math suggests we are fairly close to getting out of it, but I am fairly resigned to relegation. Someone who can get a recognisable style of play, mix in some of the youth players with a solid core of players I think we could have some fun next season. Which in the grand scheme of things is all I really want from watching football

The other thing which might happen if Marsch gets the job is we could see players like Sulemana, Alcaraz, Mara, ABK, CC, Orsic, Edozie happy enough to spend a season in the Championship.   Installing a manager with a credible track record rather than a care-taker like Selles or certainly what we had a week ago is more likely to help retain a core of players who were probably close to texting their agents about their next Club.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

The point of a caretaker is to defer the decision to when decent candidates will be willing to come here rather than appointing trash now and regretting it later

There’s 16 games left. You can’t just “defer the decision” to let some novice run down the season.  We’ve done that too often. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I don't see Marsch as a failure. I'd prefer him to Selles who is an ever present in what's been the cluster fuck if the last 18 months or so. He should be out of the door and I'm struggling to understand why people think he'll offer anything that's neat good enough...seems to be based on hope. Marsch has at least managed at this level. 

• Like 1

It’d be great to get a more impressive hire than Marsch, but it’s not the reality of the situation we’re in. If you framed it as ‘we’re going to get a manager with Champions League experience at two different clubs, as well as managing in two of the top 5 leagues in Europe with PL experience’ people would wonder how we’ve managed to pull that off in our current predicament. Don’t get me wrong I have my doubts over whether Marsch is as good as I thought he might be when he first got the Leeds job, but equally i’d be sure he’s not coming here for money but for a chance to prove that he is in fact PL level and it’s probably his last chance. His style is something a lot of our players will be familiar with, he’s not going to play 3 CB’s thankfully, and i’m fairly confident he won’t fall out with one of our best CB’s and leave him in the B team. So if he can put an 11 out that mostly resembles our best 11, can bin off Bednarek, and can bring some kind of feel good (as much as is realistically possible in our current state) back into the fans then he gets the nod from me.

Edited by saintwbu
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

A relegation rival sacked him a week ago for being so bad they thought he'd relegate them.

Why did Newcastle appoint a manager who got a team relegated from the PL and who failed when he previously went to another premier league team? It's almost as if managers have the capacity to succeed at some clubs and fail at others... ;)

• Like 17
  • Confused 1

I don't think Marsch is the man to stop us getting relegated.

I do think he is the man to build a good team in the championship and get us back up again.

Surviving this season by the skin of our teeth might be worse in the long run. I say we take the immediate pain, get relegated and come back next year stronger. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, austsaint said:

The other thing which might happen if Marsch gets the job is we could see players like Sulemana, Alcaraz, Mara, ABK, CC, Orsic, Edozie happy enough to spend a season in the Championship.   Installing a manager with a credible track record rather than a care-taker like Selles or certainly what we had a week ago is more likely to help retain a core of players who were probably close to texting their agents about their next Club.

There’s no way we’re keeping the. In the Championship, sorry.  Well maybe edozie. IMO. 

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

Why did Newcastle appoint a manager who got a team relegated from the PL and who failed when he previously went to another premier league team? It's almost as if managers have the capacity to succeed at some clubs and fail at others... ;)

bryan cranston mic drop GIF

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

It's almost as if the manager is less important once you're the richest club in the world. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sotonjoe said:

It's almost as if the manager is less important once you're the richest club in the world. 

So why have Man City wasted all that money employing Pep over the years when they could've been as successful under Nathan Poundland Jones....? ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

Just now, trousers said:

And why have Man City wasted all that money employing Pep when they could've been as successful under Nathan Poundland Jones....? ;)

I cant understand why Man United have gone through six managers and only now got one that's got them even close to what they had when Ferguson left them. As a wiseman once said, "even Alan Pardew would win the league with Man United"

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, trousers said:

Because he also had a record of doing very well in premier league with that small team unlike Marsch.

Better than Jones, low expectations (as in relegation won't be his fault), seems likeable, my initial thoughts are he wouldn't be my choice but unlike Jones he will get my full backing from the start. Also I wanted a manager who can rebuild in the summer and this means he gets a good 3 months to see who is half decent and who we should be shot of.

Jesse Marsch is set to replace Nathan Jones as Southampton’s new manager.

Marsch and Southampton held an initial round of talks on Monday, where the length of his potential contract was discussed.

The club have considered it crucial to act fast and decisively in their search, and want a new manager installed before their next match against Chelsea on February 18.

ADVERTISEMENT

Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard were also considered by the club’s hierarchy, but Marsch now looks set to take over at St Mary’s, with the club currently bottom of the Premier League.

A final decision is expected to be made soon. Marsch is the leading candidate, but several options are being assessed.

The Athletic previously reported that Marsch was being considered for the vacancy at Southampton.

The 49-year-old American was sacked by Leeds earlier this month after spending just shy of a year at Elland Road.

The south coast side’s interest in Marsch predates Sport Republic’s arrival in January 2022.

Southampton have tracked Marsch since he was at New York Red Bulls. His experience working in the Red Bull system, like former manager Ralph Hasenhuttl, appeals to Southampton as there are certain similarities in regards to pressing style and system.

Marsch has remained in England since being dismissed by Leeds.

Southampton have been on the lookout for a new manager since Sunday, with Nathan Jones being sacked after just 14 games in charge.

Jones led the club to just one top-flight win during his brief stint in charge at St Mary’s.

Reporting: Dan Sheldon, Jacob Tanswell, Phil Hay

(Photo: Richard Sellers/Getty Images)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, egg said:

I don't see Marsch as a failure. I'd prefer him to Selles who is an ever present in what's been the cluster fuck if the last 18 months or so. He should be out of the door and I'm struggling to understand why people think he'll offer anything that's neat good enough...seems to be based on hope. Marsch has at least managed at this level. 

Selles joined last Summer, 7 months.

• Like 3

Is it fair to say this was an appointment that maybe allowed Semmens to get back involved? It’s basically Ralph lite, and considering this weird 5 at the back obsession we seem to have had since the summer, this feels like maybe a move back to the old way of doing things because the new way was shit. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

As this is the Jesse Marsch thread I think it would be useful for anyone who wouldn't be happy appointing him to also say who they would give the job to.

Why, fans aren't experts and they're allowed to not like a given manager. That reads like an intro to the early defence of Jones by some fans when he was first appointed... i.e. where we had a set of fans determined to dump on anyone that was critical of Jones at the start - not something that needs to be repeated and hopefully not how you meant it to be taken.

Also, there is another thread for discussing other/all managerial candidates so it would seem a bit silly to replicate that here?

As for Jessie Marcsh, there is a limited breakdown of his time at Leeds (last season) here:
https://themastermindsite.com/2022/05/23/jesse-marsch-leeds-united-tactical-analysis-2021-22/

TLDR:

Played predominantly a 4-2-3-1 as others have previously said, switching into more of a 4-2-2-2, 4-4-2, 4-2-4 (depending on your preference) out of possession for the high press/recovery. Full/Wing backs push up to limit gaps and press wide men (perhaps not as much as Ralph), but so that it resembles a 2-4-4. (All very similar to Ralph - seeks to score goals by winning the ball back in a high press basically).

Kalvin Philips shined for him in the middle when fit due to his ball winning ability in that system - (Similar to Romeu for us i'd wager).

Used a 10 behind the main striker coming deep to dictate attacking play (likely JWP, maybe Stu). Not always the most aggressive team in possession apparently, sometimes quite patient in passing where more attacking direct play would have suited better. Favours wide wing play when attacking - wing backs and wingers getting at the full backs is a strong feature.

Article is somewhat critical of Leeds defensive players, talks about a lack of cohesion and communication between the back 4. (Personally i would say that any four from KWP, Perruad, ABK, Salisu, DCC, Bree is better than what Leeds can field.)

Apparently leeds suffered a lot from unforced errors (looks at Diallo and "Janny B") which cost them on various occasions. Marsch also likes to play the ball out from the back - which has seen them get caught out vs high energy attacking sides/presses. Meslier's distribution is poor, but he's a good shot stopper.

States he suffered from key injuries in midfield so struggled to maintain regular partnerships. (similar to saints - we only have Alcaraz, JWP, and Lavia that i would want to see lining up in central midfield for us ideally).

Hi front 4 at leeds was Dan James, Rodrigo, Raphinha, and Harrison. All geared to wards high energy and pressing. (We'd likely go with Edozie, JWP, Sulemana, and big Paul)... I'd personally favour that leeds attack over ours - certainly on current form).

Says he likes to improvise and experiment a lot - sometimes well, sometimes poorly - but he did have a lot of injuries.

He perhaps isn't the greatest appointment in the worlds for some fans, but he's probably the best of the more realistic names linked. Personally i would prefer a high press attacking style of football as per Ralph's best stuff, and it suits the players we have far better than this 5 at back direct stuff we've been playing.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

That Gnonto video getting praise is funny. It’s just someone being nice, hardly ground breaking stuff. The more interesting thing is why it took him so long to play the kid. Even Italy called him up before Leeds.

Also, posts about how his credibility will help us if we’re in the Championship are deluded. He’s got 16 league games in charge plus cup games and we’re 4 points off safety. If we’re in the Championship next season then that’s double the amount of dross we’ve just been through with Jones and Marsch will have lost a lot of credibility with us, media and players. 

Anyway… appointment seems fine, it will suit the players better in the short term and hopefully we can gather some momentum at the most important part of the season. I think people under estimate how long we have left.

9 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Because he also had a record of doing very well in premier league with that small team unlike Marsch.

I think we're in agreement then.... Managers can succeed at some clubs (e.g. Bournemouth, Newcastle) and fail at others (e.g. Bournemouth, Burnley).... 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Concerning that Lampard and Gerrard were considered. Hopefully it was who is available and that was as far as the consideration went

Their agents cold called and, to be polite, Saints said "we'll think about it".

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Is it fair to say this was an appointment that maybe allowed Semmens to get back involved? It’s basically Ralph lite, and considering this weird 5 at the back obsession we seem to have had since the summer, this feels like maybe a move back to the old way of doing things because the new way was shit. 

I very much doubt they sit around and go ‘right, I chose the last one so you choose this one’. Especially as Semmens is off in the summer. Think it’s simply a case of a manager who they’ve admired previously being available. (And yes, contrary to popular belief, data/recruitment analysts who were at the club previously can admire the same people that Ankerson and his team admire too)

Just now, Fabrice29 said:

I very much doubt they sit around and go ‘right, I chose the last one so you choose this one’. Especially as Semmens is off in the summer. Think it’s simply a case of a manager who they’ve admired previously being available. (And yes, contrary to popular belief, data/recruitment analysts who were at the club previously can admire the same people that Ankerson and his team admire too)

Thought it was Crocker who’s off? Think it’s widely accepted that Jones was Ankersen’s man given his admiration for him when at Brentford, if our interest in JM predates SR’s arrival then it feels to me like we probably always fancied him as Ralph’s successor (as did I when he got the Leipzig job) and now maybe that element of the board had the push on this one.

• Like 1