Jesse Marsch

saintscottofthenortham

So I’m going to say what we’re probably all thinking. We’ve ended up with a slightly worse version of Hassenhutl, in a slightly worse position, after dragging our name through the mud and spunking probably the best part of £10m on compensation.

it is what it is, and for what it’s worth I think is the best result given our position. He’s not keeping us up, BUT if SR continue to back us, he seemed to do a very good job with Saltzberg when they were the big dogs in a poorer league - which should be the situation we find ourselves in the champs.

And of course he isn’t Nathan Jones. I’m hoping everyone gets behind him and gives him time (ie until Dec, not until April), lots to turn around.

• Like 4

Bing AI on the differences between Hassenhuttl and Marsch

Here are some differences between Hasenhuttl’s tactics and Marsch’s tactics based on the web search results:

• Hasenhuttl prefers a 4-2-2-2 formation with wide midfielders being tucked in, while Marsch typically deploys a 4-2-3-1 shape with the three behind the striker attacking narrowly.
  • Hasenhuttl’s tactics are recognized by the high pressing and the fast transitions, while Marsch’s tactics emphasize vertical play along the ground and counter-pressing.
  • Hasenhuttl’s team has a slower build-up and tries to get the ball to James Ward-Prowse, while Marsch’s team has a forward-thinking build-up and tries to feed through-balls to Patrick Bamford.

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

The guy has been sacked for being completely useless in the top flight, if that's what passes for proven in the top flight it is a meaningless phrase. And I do think we should be thinking ahead to where we are most likely to be playing next year not appointing the first idiot with zero substance willing to accept relegation.

He kept a dreadful Leeds side up last year. How on earth can that qualify him as completely useless? Lost Raphina and Phillips. Got forwards who can’t hit a barn door with a banjo. And above us! He isn’t a marquee announcement, but I’d be mind blown if we could even entertain anyone with a better CV to contemplate the job.

Please inform, realistically, who we SHOULD be announcing? 

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Yeah exactly. In some ways is it not a bit weird that he knew literally nothing about the kids personal life, family, settling in arrangements etc? Maybe thats just how it is at prem teams, but in my head i had imagined managers being involved enough in recruitment to know something about a player and their character and background etc.

Gnonto was a knee jerk last day of the window signing when Leeds reacted a little quicker than us to not getting Gnakpo

16 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Without wanting to get into an argument - I wasn't moaning just pointing out that if you don't like Marsch then what would be your alternative?  You were the one who took issue with it.  If you don't have a better idea (and it sounds like you don't) then fine - go ahead pointing out what everyone else already knows. 

I haven't said i don't like Marsch, and I have posted my thoughts on potential managers...

Just in the new managers thread, not the Jessie Marsch thread... Imagine that. 😘

giphy.gif

Edited by Saint86

On the face of it appointing the manager sacked by relegation rivals seems an odd move and just adds to the general lack of coherence and strategy around the club. They have obviously decided the situation is retrievable when it’s almost certainly not so the sensible move would be to wait for the summer  as if the new guy doesn’t turn around results the situation will quickly sour again. How not to run a club 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Galway saint said:

On the face of it appointing the manager sacked by relegation rivals seems an odd move and just adds to the general lack of coherence and strategy around the club. They have obviously decided the situation is retrievable when it’s almost certainly not so the sensible move would be to wait for the summer  as if the new guy doesn’t turn around results the situation will quickly sour again. How not to run a club 

It would be very harsh for any of us to stick the blame onto Marsch if we are indeed to be relegated. Our chance of survival, with the fixtures left for all involved, are extremely bleak.

I for one wouldn’t be lamenting Marsch if he can’t turn it around now. In fact, I’d be quite excited about what a manager like him could do for us in Championship.

• Like 5

He talks clearly, positively, with a little charisma, a little humour. He's articulate, thoughtful, and you can hear and see he's thoughtful. He doesn't have to say "I'm a thoughtful manager" [as someone we know might do]. He knows how to talk to people without winding them up or sounding prickly. Given we are in 20th, 3 points adrift, 3rd manager of the season, divided board... there's no real world where we get someone better. 

I'm signed up.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Eric The Red said:

Sorry but he doesn't do it for me.

His post match press conferences are nearly as bizarre and fantastical as Jones' I also don't think Leeds played any different style than what we're used to and they had the same problem as us in creating opportunities but not scoring.  A real absence of imagination or ambition in such an appointment

Just watched a replay of his late December interview after the 1-3 Man City defeat.  Nothing like Jones - nothing bizarre or fantastical either.  He spoke well; was measured, and gave a convincing summary of the game and the key moments.      For many, the doubts about Jones were immediate - this is a decent decision by SFC.

One thing I'm not sure of is the length of contract.   Is it a short term deal with a review in the Summer?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CamberwellSaint said:

He talks clearly, positively, with a little charisma, a little humour. He's articulate, thoughtful, and you can hear and see he's thoughtful. He doesn't have to say "I'm a thoughtful manager" [as someone we know might do]. He knows how to talk to people without winding them up or sounding prickly. Given we are in 20th, 3 points adrift, 3rd manager of the season, divided board... there's no real world where we get someone better. 

I'm signed up.

You can't deny that he talks a good game, in a different level than Jones ever did - but the proof will be in the pudding, that’s my only slight concern. We've had lots of people in the past who have talked a good game without any substance. But I'm totally behind this one anyway, it makes sense I just hope we get some substance to the sense he talks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

Yeah, I doubt he's coming on a 3 month contract, so rather than sorting it properly in the summer(like Burnley did) we'll likely meander on with Marsch and potentially waste the chance to come straight back.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Hopefully we can get through to the end of February without a Marsch Out thread.

Sensible choice, seems like someone who will be positive and give it a good crack and its not his fault we are probably already doomed.

Lets hope the fans get behind him.

Bro your old school, you know someone will make a thread within 5 mins of the official announcement 

They had a horrific injury list to deal with last year, as well the facts already mentioned; no striker for long periods and a team in complete freefall.

To keep them up, he done very well.

These appointments aren’t often as black and white as people see it. In other circumstances, we might not have been able to get Marsch at all had he won vs Forest etc.

Theres a lot of variables at play and a lot of things being dredged up; he wasn’t successful at RBL, struggled this year with Leeds etc. Not all entirely relevant, and sometimes you don’t get the rub of the green or a manager sometimes doesnt ‘fit’ at one club but is seemingly successful at another.

From what I remember of his teams, they were always in a game, in the contest. I think a lot of fine margins came into play and fell on the wrong side for him.

Really looking forward to seeing what he can do with us and I wouldn’t blame him at all if he doesn’t keep us up. One things for sure, we’re gonna have a bloody good go at it now - and that, as a fan, is all I can ask for in this current predicament.

We should can the whinging, get behind Jesse as quite frankly, he’s as good as we could hope for in this position and he’s everything Jones isn’t - which, after all, is what you all wanted, right?

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 9

6 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

Will wait and see what the contract is, but it appears we're not tying ourselves down long term. Could make a change sooner rather than later if things dont pan out.

On things turning sour again, I think there is a growing realisation amongst fans that we're 95% relegated. Going down will not be Marsch's doing and I think fans will be alot more patient with him, as long as the football looks good

19 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

So I’m going to say what we’re probably all thinking. We’ve ended up with a slightly worse version of Hassenhutl, in a slightly worse position, after dragging our name through the mud and spunking probably the best part of £10m on compensation.

it is what it is, and for what it’s worth I think is the best result given our position. He’s not keeping us up, BUT if SR continue to back us, he seemed to do a very good job with Saltzberg when they were the big dogs in a poorer league - which should be the situation we find ourselves in the champs.

And of course he isn’t Nathan Jones. I’m hoping everyone gets behind him and gives him time (ie until Dec, not until April), lots to turn around.

Better man management and in Paul and Kameldeen players that Ralph wished he'd had

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

They had a horrific injury list to deal with last year, as well the facts already mentioned; no striker for long periods and a team in complete freefall.

Absolutely this.

I just watched his post match interview after Forest beat Leeds last week; he is unbelievably calm for a manager staring the sack in the face. 

10 minutes ago, CamberwellSaint said:

I'm signed up.

Sounds like in that game Leeds took advantage of the opposition getting a red card, that would be nice for a change.

• Like 1

That interview also highlights they had shedloads of injury issues at Leeds, they always seem to have a host of players out. Just checked now and they have eight out injured, amongst the highest in the league. Bamford has had loads of injuries, iirc Phillips was injured for most of last season and was injured when he moved to City (which is why it was baffling he went to the World Cup). Sinisterra who was one of their big summer signings has only managed 600 minutes, just 8 starts.  

Adds a caveat to his time at Leeds IMO. 

• Like 1

I read /heard on here somewhere that Martin Semmens said there were others interested in buying Saints, who were prepared to spend a lot of money ( i know they have spent a lot now, not sure if it is added debt to the club though), but felt SR were a better fit!!! 

To me he has made a massive error 

• Haha 1

Just now, tajjuk said:

That interview also highlights they had shedloads of injury issues at Leeds, they always seem to have a host of players out. Just checked now and they have eight out injured, amongst the highest in the league. Bamford has had loads of injuries, iirc Phillips was injured for most of last season and was injured when he moved to City (which is why it was baffling he went to the World Cup). Sinisterra who was one of their big summer signings has only managed 600 minutes, just 8 starts.  

Adds a caveat to his time at Leeds IMO. 

Or his training methods

4 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

These appointments aren’t often as black and white as people see it. In other circumstances, we might not have been able to get Marsch at all had he won vs Forest etc.

From what I remember of his teams, they were always in a game, in the contest. I think a lot of fine margins came into play and fell on the wrong side for him.

Really looking forward to seeing what he can do with us and I wouldn’t blame him at all if he doesn’t keep us up. One things for sure, we’re gonna have a bloody good go at it now - and that, as a fan, is all I can ask for in this current predicament.

Exactly this. He didnt 'fail' at Leeds. Given the setbacks you've highlighted, he did an excellent job keeping them up last season. He also had them sitting outside the relegation zone by the time he was sacked two weeks ago. Yes Leeds fans would have expected them to be rivalling Brighton, Fulham or Brentford's form this season, but they could do with tempering their expectations

• Like 2

Just now, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

He's chosen his outfit for the weekend already which mean this must be as good as done... 

20230214_120231.jpg

FFS, another looker wearing our away kit!

I’m onboard, good as it gets in the circumstances, just hope our more wacky fans don’t overdo the “USA, USA, USA…” stuff

• Haha 1

Underwhelmed tbh, but ok, give him a chance. As long as he wins a few games, won't blame him if we are relegated. And if the keeps us up, I will be  very 'whelmed' !

Not going to complain too much about his team choices either. He's bound to experiment a few times with a squad that's new to him. 

13 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Theres a lot of variables at play and a lot of things being dredged up; he wasn’t successful at RBL, struggled this year with Leeds etc. Not all entirely relevant, and sometimes you don’t get the rub of the green or a manager sometimes doesnt ‘fit’ at one club but is seemingly successful at another.

We should can the whinging, get behind Jesse as quite frankly, he’s as good as we could hope for in this position and he’s everything Jones isn’t - which, after all, is what you all wanted, right?

The thing I look at with Marsch and his Leeds team is how often they were in games, they always gave it a good go and I must admit I did always enjoy watching Leeds play.

Under Beilsa they were absolutely nuts, but he added a tiny bit more stability to them I felt. They'd have been more comfortable had it not been for the injuries.

This season you could point at their predicament in much the similar way as Ralph. They made a go at improving areas of their squad and replacing those that had been sold, but they forgot to add a striker, their Raphina replacement (Sinistera) is made of glass in the same way as Bamford. 

I have no expectations on him to keep us up, I just want him to give us some hope and I think he'll do that.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Or his training methods

No they had a lot of injuries under Bielsa as well from what I remember. 

Some clubs just seem to have poor luck with injuries, whether this is a something behind the scenes or just them having a lot of players who are more injury susceptible I don't know. Arsenal seemed to go through a long period of picking up lots and lots of injuries under various managers. The Man Utd 9-0 we had something like 9 out injured iirc. 

Thing is with a club our size or Leeds size, you are going to only have a handful of key players that elevate your squad, if they get injuries its going to harm you a lot more than the bigger boys who can often replace quality with quality or close enough quality. A lot of Leeds under Bielsa was built around Bamford and Phillips, Marsch hasn't had those players for most of his time in charge of the club through injury (and then sale of Phillips). Leeds also did what our board did in the summer, they had one striker, who was struggling for fitness and for some reason didn't really go out and buy another one. Plus the guy they brought in to replace Raphina, another key player last season, has had multiple injury issues and had only played 600 minutes this season. 

Edited by tajjuk

Just now, tajjuk said:

No they had a lot of injuries under Bielsa as well from what I remember. 

Some clubs just seem to have poor luck with injuries, whether this is a something behind the scenes or just them having a lot of players who are more injury susceptible I don't know. Arsenal seemed to go through a long period of picking up lots and lots of injuries under various managers. The Man Utd 9-0 we had something like 9 out injured iirc. 

Thing is with a club our size or Leeds size, you are going to only have a handful of key players that elevate your squad, if they get injuries its going to harm you a lot more than the bigger boys who can often replace quality with quality or close enough quality. A lot of Leeds under Bielsa was built around Bamford and Phillips, Marsch hasn't had those players for most of his time in charge of the club through injury (and then sale of Phillips). Leeds also did what our board did in the summer, they had one striker, who was struggling for fitness and for some reason didn't really go out and buy another one. 

We can make excuses. I will end up getting behind him, but iam sure underwhelmed and have lost complete faith in the gang at the top.

We are their chemistry set, and they are playing their games, not only trying to play a team with mainly 19-20 year olds, but taking risks on mangers, let alone not getting rid of Ralph sooner. 

30 minutes ago, CamberwellSaint said:

I'm signed up.

Nice to see a manager who sees the opposing team being reduced to 10 men as a positive for his team….😉 Refreshing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

We are their chemistry set, and they are playing their games, not only trying to play a team with mainly 19-20 year olds, but taking risks on mangers, let alone not getting rid of Ralph sooner. 

Yes I agree with that. SR see us as an experiment. In the end we have to hope they find the right formula for success before we drop too low. 

I'm behind Marsch though. He at least has some experience beyond Luton Town and has a chance of being a good fit. NJ was doomed from the start. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OldNick said:

We can make excuses. I will end up getting behind him, but iam sure underwhelmed and have lost complete faith in the gang at the top.

Who would you have wanted instead of Marsch?

Weirdly this appointment would have made 'more' sense when we swapped Ralph (but the timing was wrong then). The last 3 months have rightly clouded a lot of peoples feelings towards managers, but I don't think this is as big as a risk as some are suggesting. Don't get me wrong everything at this stage is a risk, but when you look at the avaliable options out there you have to say that Marsch is probably the least risky approach.

18 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Are you practising your American accent? Yee haw!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1