Jesse Marsch

saintscottofthenortham

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Does Ankersen just draw up a shortlist of one person when making managerial appointments? I know we're hardly attractive right now, but I'm feeling very underwhelmed. Its bad when people are having to use Jones' tenure as the yardstick for justifying Marsch

Always gets his main target though 

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

So wilder a guy who finished massively higher than marsch in Prem and has experience of getting promoted is a joke name, but relegation zone marsch is not. Hmm 

Bro underlying metrics, you can't look at stats we all can see you need to peak under the bonnet and look at the underlying metrics.

Wilder has some of the worst manager to owner relationship stats in European football.

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You think British football cliches are any better or less annoying?

Get it in the mixer

Let the defender know you’re there

They’re a proper football club.

He’s got good feet for a big man.

etc.

"We just need to score more goals than the opposition" springs to mind...now where did i hear that recently?

I actively disliked Jones so much that near the end there was a part of me that couldn't support the team like I normally do and I was genuinely close to wanting us to lose so he'd go which has never happened before. No matter what Jesse Marsch is like, he seems like a nice bloke so that will never happen and so he will never be as bad as Jones. Given the situation we are in he's worth a go. 

• Like 8

Just now, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I think we can at least agree the Leeds fan base is/was split on their opinion on Marsch. 

I saw that clip of him welcoming Gnoto. Impressive. 

That's certainly how I'd call it FF, he wasn't as heavily disliked as some may have you think. He wasn't perfect at all and he will irritate some, but like other's have said we haven't got the choice of everyone in front of us and in terms of players, philosophy and fit....he's pretty much ticking the boxes.

1 minute ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I think we can at least agree the Leeds fan base is/was split on their opinion on Marsch. 

I saw that clip of him welcoming Gnoto. Impressive. 

And tbf our club absolutely need someone like that to make the younger members feel included and valued. He might not work out but he's not going to be an unmitigated disaster like the last bloke that's for sure. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, melmacian_saint said:

Leeds might not have a better squad, but they have a better, more experienced and routined starting 11.

Not top 10, but they should be at least tracking Palace for performance with a manager that can read and manage the match, and respond effectively rather than just set a team up to play nicely but poorly prepared for when the wind turns. I feel Marsch and Bielsa were the latter. 

I'm not sure Jesse Marsch "saved" them from relegation - yes, he did get almost as many wins in the last 12 games as Bielsa up to the point of resignation (4 vs. 5), but two of those were against the season's zombie teams Norwich (last minute win) and Watford, plus a final day with survival out of their direct control, without even playing Burnley (and so just purely out of their bad performance) - that was not the case when he joined.

He also took 5 games to get a win - we can't afford that right now without things spiralling out of control again. 

That Leeds side is no better than us. What we lack in experience, they lack in ability. It’s a very ordinary side.

Its entirely feasible we go our next ten league games without a win. We have a horrible set of fixtures coming up.

Leeds (A) and Leicester (H) the only two you’d hope to come away with something, but Elland Road a horrible place to go and Leicester could obliterate us on their day. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

And tbf our club absolutely need someone like that to make the younger members feel included and valued. He might not work out but he's not going to be an unmitigated disaster like the last bloke that's for sure. 

But this shows just how low our bar is now set really. Reasonable human being, make people feel included, don't act insane at press conferences and the job's a good'un

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

But this shows just how low our bar is now set really. Reasonable human being, make people feel included, don't act insane at press conferences and the job's a good'un

Yes, I’m terms of how far we’ve fallen.

But realistically what did you expect, I mean seriously?

Unless SR pay stupid money to a high calibre manager, which won’t happen, this is our level. 

Personally I think Marsch is the best out of a bad bunch, which includes Gerrard, Lampard etc. At least has “Southampton playbook-esque” traits in regards to style of play, formation, press, etc.

29 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

3 games to get a win, they were 18 when he took over and finished 17. Bielsa's 0.9 pt/game to his 1.2 pt/game. And the survival not in their hands on the last day, was due to goal difference  with Bielsa shipping in goals at 3 per game to Marsch's 1.6.

By anyone metrics he improved the team and kept them up.

Calculations done on the toilet so may not be 100% accurate 😉

They were 16th when he took over. He took them down one place. At least he can't do that here.

11v11 league table generator

• Haha 1

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

Yes, I’m terms of how far we’ve fallen.

But realistically what did you expect, I mean seriously?

Unless SR pay stupid money to a high calibre manager, which won’t happen, this is our level. 

Personally I think Marsch is the best out of a bad bunch, which includes Gerrard, Lampard etc. At least has “Southampton playbook-esque” traits in regards to style of play, formation, press, etc.

I expect us to go out and get the best manager possible. It's not like we're Scunthorpe (with all due respect to Scunthorpe). I think we should try to do better than a manager just sacked because there were severe doubts he could keep a side in the PL. Will support him if he comes in though for sure

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Works for me after the last bloke. Creating a good atmosphere, giving the crowds something to cheer and having a charismatic manager that you want to do well is the main reason I go to football. If you hate the manager and part of you wants him to fail that it removes a lot of the joy of it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's certainly how I'd call it FF, he wasn't as heavily disliked as some may have you think. He wasn't perfect at all and he will irritate some, but like other's have said we haven't got the choice of everyone in front of us and in terms of players, philosophy and fit....he's pretty much ticking the boxes.

Looking at the two main leeds forums, no support for marcsh whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Looking at the two main leeds forums, no support for marcsh whatsoever.

We all know the shite spouted on forums pals 

i live near Leeds, mixed is about right. The problem he always had is that he wasn’t Bielsa, they absolutely worship him up here for some reason so whoever replaced him was always going to be in for a rough ride.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

i live near Leeds, mixed is about right. The problem he always had is that he wasn’t Bielsa, they absolutely worship him up here for some reason so whoever replaced him was always going to be in for a rough ride.

So the exact opposite of the situation down here then!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

This is the main point for me. Considering he took a job which was literally a hiding to nothing, he done very well. Leeds fans in general are hardly the easiest to keep happy and their squad isn’t half as good as they think it is. 

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Because bielsa is a maverick genius, whilst marsch is a useless bag of hot air

Leeds fans on Marsch

"gutted things did not work out, but he was never really good enough at this level."

"Always sorry to see someone lose their job. He did seem a genuine nice fella.
Unfortunately he wasn’t up to the job and showed no signs of ever being up to the job.
He actually should’ve been gone 3 months ago. Would’ve saved everyone a lot of heartache."

"I hate to blame the manager for failure of any team/club. In this case though, it really did appear that Jesse Marsch simply wasn't good enough for the premier league."

"I liked his passion but he couldn't deal with the competitiveness in the PL. Simply doesn't have the experience to handle the different tactical challenges faced each week."

"For all that he seemed likeable there was a fairly broad concensus on here (which is not normally the case) that he wasn’t up to it and that was fairly obvious from early in the season."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Bielsa turned Leeds from a team going nowhere to promotion and a top half finish. 

Burnley imploding kept them up. Marsch just happened to be there. He hardly marched them up the table.

Mainly because only striker they had was Bamford who was injured a lot 

I am 50/50 on him anyway but seems done deal

🚨 Today’s meeting between Southampton and Jesse Marsch progressed well, the American will become the club’s new manager if he accepts their offer #saintsfc @ManagerTactical

Edited by Give it to Ron

6 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Mainly because only striker they had was Bamford who was injured a lot 

I am 50/50 on him anyway but seems done deal

🚨 Today’s meeting between Southampton and Jesse Marsch progressed well, the American will become the club’s new manager if he accepts their offer #saintsfc @ManagerTactical

Pathetic if true. Sports republic utterly clueless. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

From my Leeds supporting mate.

- he wasn’t the best player but he is the fittest human being in history

-Statistically he is the best American in the village.

- his team is front footed, oh and aggressive, oh yeah and potent.

- He could have married a nice American women and been a basketball coach but he didn’t, and that’s nothing against American woman. Or basketball coaches.

- He won’t compromise but he will.

-he doesn’t listen to outside voices except when he wants to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Who was your choice?

Depends what the goal is

bielsa, would likely be fantastic molding young players in the summer for championship run.

if you are looking for a caretaker the likes of selles or even Adkins could keep things ticking over.

if you are after making a play to stay up Benitez is probably the free agent that might actually have a clue to get this team organized. 

• Haha 3

Say what you like about Sports Republic but they don't piss about when they want to appoint a new manager.

At least we had about two months of lovely speculation before Puel and Pellegrino came in.

Looks like about 24 hours and done both times already.

• Like 1

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Depends what the goal is

bielsa, would likely be fantastic molding young players in the summer for championship run.

if you are looking for a caretaker the likes of selles or even Adkins could keep things ticking over.

if you are after making a play to stay up Benitez is probably the free agent that might actually have a clue to get this team organized. 

Honestly all of those suggestions are pointless/terrible.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Honestly all of those suggestions are pointless/terrible.

Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion. personally I think they are all better than the nothing appointment of marsch, who doesn’t seem likely to have what it takes to keep us up and i’d Be very doubtful if he’d even be workable in championship.

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion. personally I think they are all better than the nothing appointment of marsch, who doesn’t seem likely to have what it takes to keep us up and i’d Be very doubtful if he’d even be workable in championship.

Why people keep suggesting adkins is beyond me. It’s 10 years since he was here, he’s done nothing since and it’s a totally different club from the one he left. 

• Like 14

Just now, Yorkshire Saint said:

Im fucking surrounded by them.... they are laughing there socks off at this but also concerned that Marshe keeps us up at there expense... starting with 3 points at Elland Road.

Me too. Although a few I’ve spoken to today all agreed it’s a massive improvement on Jones!

20 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

You think Adkins is a better option?

19 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Depends what the goal is

There's such a small chance of staying up that the goal is surely to finish the season well, prepare for the Championship and give someone like Marsch an idea of what he'll have, and need for a bounce straight back to the Prem campaign.      Bielsa and Benitez were never serious options.  Turk's right, Adkins is a nostalgic memory of those heady days of Marcus and back to back promotions, followed by 4 or 5 failures at Championship Clubs.   In the circumstances, Marsch is a worthy choice and I assume he is indicating a willingness to take on the Championship.

With the greatest respect, anyone willing to come here at our current levels of implosion , with some minimal prem experience, is going to be an improvement on Mad Nate. God willing Jesse will come in on the front foot and get us playing aggressive in a googlyeye press. Main thing is don’t mug off the fans, your coaching staff and players in a public press conference in your first few games. That will buy some time.

The style of play Should suit Sully and Alcatraz who Ralph never got to induct into the method. I Like big Paul, but he was brought in for Nate balls. Still feel like we need a poacher type striker who can hit the net if switching back to the high press. Maybe Tella next season if he carries on improving at the rate he is now.

• Like 1