Jesse Marsch

saintscottofthenortham

Looks like there's legs in this.

Will come with an air of negativity from some sections, given his recent sacking from Leeds and the negativity which come out from them around him. They're not finding it easy to replace him, though.

For us, I think he'd be a good fit. Plays a system that would suit us. Has a Premier League relegation survival on his CV and would likely stick around to see us try and rebuild in the Championship, should we go down.

We're not going to be spoilt for choice and I think he'd be a far safer shout than the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and maybe even Rooney, who Adam Blackmore mentioned.

The likes of Gallardo and Poch etc are pipedreams who we had little chance of attracting before we were rooted to the bottom of the league, let alone now. 

Edited by saintscottofthenortham
  • Like 8
  • Sad 3

41 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Looks like there's legs in this.

Will come with an air of negativity from some sections, given his recent sacking from Leeds and the negativity which come out from them around him. They're not finding it easy to replace him, though.

For us, I think he'd be a good fit. Plays a system that would suit us. Has a Premier League relegation survival on his CV and would likely stick around to see us try and rebuild in the Championship, should we go down.

We're not going to be spoilt for choice and I think he'd be a far safer shout than the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and maybe even Rooney, who Adam Blackmore mentioned.

The likes of Gallardo and Poch etc are pipedreams who we had little chance of attracting before we were rooted to the bottom of the league, let alone now. 

Agree.  It's probably the least worst and least riskiest of the realistic candidates.  Not massively inspiring but none of the others are either and, as you say, the squad is probably a better fit for Marsch than anyone else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Really hope we can do better than Ted Lasso. Will be another awful mistake. 

Harsh, IMO. Leeds a notoriously difficult one and with what he had, he didn't do a bad job. A side who heavily relied upon Patrick Bamford... We thought we had it bad with Che, but blow me! Lad is dreadful.

Looking at our squad as a whole, I think we're in a better place than Leeds to work under his system.

His sacking at Leeds wasn't met with universal welcome. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Agree.  It's probably the least worst and least riskiest of the realistic candidates.  Not massively inspiring but none of the others are either and, as you say, the squad is probably a better fit for Marsch than anyone else.

Agree with that. We simply had to get rid of Jones and Marsch has at least proven that he can manage in this league. We need to give him a chance if he comes. 

• Like 3

I’m happy with this so long as he’s signed up for a (likely) season in the Championship.

Let’s be done with the toxicity and get behind the team.

4231 with the new signings, go down with a fight and reshape to smash the Championship next season. 

Edited by Wiggles31
  • Like 3

Of the options being discussed he's the best one I think. 

I'm actually coming round slightly to Gerrard. Poor at Villa with huge expectation yes, but look at how Rangers have dipped since he left. We might go down with him in charge but he'd stay to rebuild and I think it would be good experience for a manager who clearly has potential to do well. 

Obviously I'd prefer us to stay up but I could see our squad being a good fit for him - and he may even get Aribo doing something (anything!).

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

I'm actually coming round slightly to Gerrard. Poor at Villa with huge expectation yes, but look at how Rangers have dipped since he left. We might go down with him in charge but he'd stay to rebuild and I think it would be good experience for a manager who clearly has potential to do well. 

Obviously I'd prefer us to stay up but I could see our squad being a good fit for him - and he may even get Aribo doing something (anything!).

The thing with Gerrard too, he will be hungry after his spell at Aston Villa with a point to prove.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I think an impending relegation will put Gerrard off, personally. Villa has tainted his reputation and whilst going down with us wouldn't be his fault, it would still be on his watch and he would carry that with him. More chance of him coming once we're in the Championship.

Marsch has already proven enough not to worry about carrying that. Gerrard is at a very different stage of his career.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Rangers dipped because Gerrard's replacement didn't work out. A distant second in a 2 horse race, Bronckhorst was a long time departing. Rangers have picked up under Gerrard's right hand man, Beale. I'd go with Beale before I looked at Gerrard. All Rangers managers also have the obstacle that is Ross Wilson involved in transfers.

• Like 2

He wouldn't be top of my list but then again be wouldn't be near the bottom either. He's reached a reasonable level of management through the Red Bull system so he must have something about him. Oh and he's been in the Prem for a couple of seasons so should know what we're about and our best line ups etc. I just think we're hastily appointing another new manager that we'll no doubt give a long contract to when perhaps a short term "firefighter" may be a better option, then regroup in the summer come what may. We shall see. He can't be worse than Jones... right?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Rangers dipped because Gerrard's replacement didn't work out. A distant second in a 2 horse race, Bronckhorst was a long time departing. Rangers have picked up under Gerrard's right hand man, Beale. I'd go with Beale before I looked at Gerrard. All Rangers managers also have the obstacle that is Ross Wilson involved in transfers.

Yeah, they dipped because his replacement wasn't as good as him. Not sure how that's supposed to disprove the fact he did a good job there.

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Yeah, they dipped because his replacement wasn't as good as him. Not sure how that's supposed to disprove the fact he did a good job there.

Yeah, I could have actually added my point there. 🙂

I was going to say that Gerard worked best while with Beale, and the pair did fine at Rangers. Without Beale, while I'm sure he has strengths, Gerrard doesn't seem nearly as capable.

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Please God not Lampard or Gerrard. If they hadn't been top players then no one would be giving them a second thought

Kompany was a top player, Carrick too. Both doing wonders in the Championship as was Rooney at Derby not so long ago . Scott Parker was doing OK at Fulham for quite a chunk of time. Some clubs just don't fit certain people but also I think in Lampard and Gerrard's case they took big pressure jobs too soon. Lampard previously did well at Derby (albeit with loans from Chelsea helping him) and Gerrard previously did well at Rangers. I'm not saying either are the answer for us necessarily (though I'd prefer Gerrard) but to write them off is a bit premature. They'll get Prem or Championship jobs again eventually.

• Like 1

Don’t understand some of the negativity.  Leeds were looking likely to go down when he went there a year ago, he kept them up and then they sold their two best players in Raphinha and Phillips.

He had 32 games in charge and picked up 33 points with what is in my opinion a bottom four or five squad.  And that was his first Premier League job where you would expect him to have learned a lot about the league.

So am not claiming he is a genius but it would be a solid appointment.  Could see him staying and mounting a promotion charge if the worst happened too.

• Like 5

Don't expect much in the short term, but could be good in the long term. An attacking manager, but Leeds weren't ever really thrashed under him. A 5-2 loss against Brentford in September their biggest defeat this season. Leicester 2-0 and Manchester City 3-1 the only other times they lost by at least two goals under him this season. It was tight losses that cost him his job at Leeds, sounds like Hasenhuttl. 26 goals scored in 20 league matches also, 8 more than we have in two fewer matches, what dreams are made of.

At the end of the day, if we are relegated then I want to see us with an attacking manager in the Championship and doing what Burnley are currently. None of that defensive grinding out results rubbish. Marsch's CV doesn't read too bad, either. Had success in the MLS, 2 time league winner in Austria, although it is a one team league, managed a reputable club in Leipzig and had success in this country in the Premier League at Leeds.

Definitely a better candidate than our most recent appointment. Marsch managed Haaland too, so could get him on loan.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Yeah, I could have actually added my point there. 🙂

I was going to say that Gerard worked best while with Beale, and the pair did fine at Rangers. Without Beale, while I'm sure he has strengths, Gerrard doesn't seem nearly as capable.

Fair point, but really the job he did at Villa was Ok, not terrible, it's just that their expectations had gone up a level.

3 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Don't expect much in the short term, but could be good in the long term. An attacking manager, but Leeds weren't ever really thrashed under him. A 5-2 loss against Brentford in September their biggest defeat this season. Leicester 2-0 and Manchester City 3-1 the only other times they lost by at least two goals under him this season. It was tight losses that cost him his job at Leeds, sounds like Hasenhuttl. 26 goals scored in 20 league matches also, 8 more than we have in two fewer matches, what dreams are made of.

At the end of the day, if we are relegated then I want to see us with an attacking manager in the Championship and doing what Burnley are currently. None of that defensive grinding out results rubbish. Marsch's CV doesn't read too bad, either. Had success in the MLS, 2 time league winner in Austria, although it is a one team league, managed a reputable club in Leipzig and had success in this country in the Premier League at Leeds.

Definitely a better candidate than our most recent appointment. Marsch managed Haaland too, so could get him on loan.

Haaland CDAJFU 

• Like 1

Marsch was just sacked because of awful results and performances. Sound familiar? This must not happen or we are properly doomed. 16 games left to play, a decent manager could get us safe. The attitudes on here saying he'd be acceptable because he's less shit than NJ are tragic. We can do better, surely. 

• Like 1

Just now, Max said:

Marsch was just sacked because of awful results and performances. Sound familiar? This must not happen or we are properly doomed. 16 games left to play, a decent manager could get us safe. The attitudes on here saying he'd be acceptable because he's less shit than NJ are tragic. We can do better, surely. 

Who would you go for out of interest? What avaliable manager do you think could keep us up?

• Like 1

Insight into his tactics at Leeds, very similar to Ralph so not a huge surprise. Our squad should be well suited to his style, if we bring him in. I’m in agreement with posters that say it’s not an exciting appointment but a good fit considering our position and not many favourable alternatives available, certainly none that would seriously consider the role. Provided he’s in for the promotion push should the expected happen, it does seem a logical appointment, if not an inspiring one. It would be nice to see some proper attacking and pressing football too, considering Ralph threw that out the window a while back after some big defeats, we didn’t see it in the league under Jones either.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Fair point, but really the job he did at Villa was Ok, not terrible, it's just that their expectations had gone up a level.

The job he did at Villa was terrible.

One win in his last 8 (remind you of anyone). 

Appalling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Who would you go for out of interest? What avaliable manager do you think could keep us up?

I think it has to be a big well respected name, so Schreuder, Benitez even, someone to get the squad and fans back on side and get the Croatians and ABK back. Would either come? Money talks.

3 minutes ago, Max said:

I think it has to be a big well respected name, so Schreuder, Benitez even, someone to get the squad and fans back on side and get the Croatians and ABK back. Would either come? Money talks.

I think Benitez has had his day. I don't see this squad being in anyway suited to his pragmatic defensive style either, would be a weird appointment as much as Jones was in my opinon.

I don't know what Schreuder has ever achieved in management to be that highly regarded, he was pretty dreadful at Ajax - looks like he's going to Leeds anyway.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I think Benitez has had his day. I don't see this squad being in anyway suited to his pragmatic defensive style either, would be a weird appointment as much as Jones was in my opinon.

I don't know what Schreuder has ever achieved in management to be that highly regarded, he was pretty dreadful at Ajax - looks like he's going to Leeds anyway.

Fair points, it is a struggle to think of anyone. Bielsa would at least be a fun and exciting watch, and as we don't really have much of a defence to speak of anyway we can't get much worse in that department! We may end up scoring a few goals. I just cannot see Marsch providing anything positive, and we really need some positives.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

The squad’s a better fit? what does this even mean? We recruit a manager based on the misfiring players we have, or we recruit the best manager we can get?

hello new manager, the keeper is crapp, we play a different back four/five every game, our best midfielder has missed half the season, we haven’t got any strikers, you’ll do. 
Ridiculous mindset, somewhere in there is a reasonably competent first XI, we need to appoint a manager with no pre-conceptions who will find that team, an alchemist if you will, NOT nailing the new man to the failed old systems.

Marsch is a strong no for me, even if he would “suit our squad’.

15 minutes ago, saintant said:

Not sure Tall Paul will be a good fit for Marsch's pressing from the front philosophy.

Not sure we will see much more of tall Paul, bought for GrahamTaylor/natheball tactics, struggled on Saturday where we tried to play to his strengths (overlapping wing backs and lots of route one) the Prem has moved on since the days of Graham West etc. Hopefully the new manager will be a touch more sophisticated. 

11 minutes ago, sandwichsaint said:

The squad’s a better fit? what does this even mean? We recruit a manager based on the misfiring players we have, or we recruit the best manager we can get?

hello new manager, the keeper is crapp, we play a different back four/five every game, our best midfielder has missed half the season, we haven’t got any strikers, you’ll do. 
Ridiculous mindset, somewhere in there is a reasonably competent first XI, we need to appoint a manager with no pre-conceptions who will find that team, an alchemist if you will, NOT nailing the new man to the failed old systems.

The squad is a fit for Marsch because he plays a similar brand of football to Ralph, who has presided over this squad for the last 4 years or so. Many of the players were bought with 4222 in mind, and many of the newer players (Edozie, Sulemana, Alcaraz in particular) all seem like they would suit a set up like that. We don’t have a squad capable of playing 5 at the back, as has been proven repeatedly, and it’s not a formation I could ever see Marsch wanting to play. That’s why it’s potentially a decent fit…

• Like 3

Not having this, we buy players that suit only one system?

so their resale value is tied to only selling to a club that plays a certain system?

they will never play international football unless their.country is playing a certain system?

I call total BS on this, if we sign players that can only play one way no wonder they can’t beat 11 v 10 with a goal start.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sandwichsaint said:

Wow, you need to take some meds and calm down.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Are we going to consider/interview a few candidates or are we just going straight to appointing Marsch? If we've learnt our lessons, we should really exercise due diligence before appointing the next manager

Um, Ankersen and co. allegedly tracked the recently-sacked out-of-his-depth muppet for 18 months. That's a hell of a lot of due diligence for a disastrous choice.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Are we going to consider/interview a few candidates or are we just going straight to appointing Marsch? If we've learnt our lessons, we should really exercise due diligence before appointing the next manager

They apparently spent 18 months looking at jones so I’m not so sure giving them time to think is a good idea.

• Like 1