Jesse Marsch

saintscottofthenortham

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

In what way would he bit a good fit for championship. I think he’d likely be even more of a disaster in that setting.

Fair enough. I’d be interested to hear your reasoning for this.

Just three months ago we hired the Championship manager of the season who turned out to be, statistically, one of the worst managers to grace the Premier League.  

I would much rather we had someone like Marsch for the foreseeable. He actually has pedigree, won trophies as a player and a manager, and has some international caps. NJ experienced none of this. 

Say all you want about the Austrian League not being a patch on the PL but we’d be clamouring for someone like him if he hadn’t already been at Leeds.  And he kept them up.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, austsaint said:

There's such a small chance of staying up that the goal is surely to finish the season well, prepare for the Championship and give someone like Marsch an idea of what he'll have, and need for a bounce straight back to the Prem campaign.      Bielsa and Benitez were never serious options.  Turk's right, Adkins is a nostalgic memory of those heady days of Marcus and back to back promotions, followed by 4 or 5 failures at Championship Clubs.   In the circumstances, Marsch is a worthy choice and I assume he is indicating a willingness to take on the Championship.

If staying up is such a small chance, don’t appoint a useless manager like Marsch permanently who has zero experience of that league and may very well lose you the chance at promotion. Appoint someone in the summer.

• Confused 4

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

If staying up is such a small chance, don’t appoint a useless manager like Marsch permanently who has zero experience of that league and may very well lose you the chance at promotion. Appoint someone in the summer.

I don't get your reasoning, Kompany has no experience of the Championship and look what he is doing at Burnley. Similarly Carrick too at Middlesborough. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Should have kept Jones by that logic given that he won manager of the year in that league.

'Experience of the championship' is entirely overrated.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

While we're seeing what Adkins is doing these days, we should also give Strachan a call 😂

I’d get Strachan back here purely as the fitness coach and get those bastards grafting. 

Underwhelmed by Marsch but realistically who else is there. Shows how bad Jones was that some fans actually think he’ll be decent for us. 

13 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I don't get your reasoning, Kompany has no experience of the Championship and look what he is doing at Burnley. Similarly Carrick too at Middlesborough. 

Burnley put Jackson in charge and sorted the right candidate in the summer, in kompany. So gambling on a young fresh name can work, but not always . Middlesbrough had woodgate before who failed. I don’t see how that supports appointing a failure like Marsch now for championship(it more supports selles or Adkins caretaker route). If he’d at least done well in championship that might mitigate his poor managerial record in the Prem.

Edited by Baird of the land

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Burnley put Jackson in charge and sorted the right candidate in the summer, in kompany. So gambling on a young fresh name can work, but not always . Middlesbrough had woodgate before who failed. I don’t see how that supports appointing a failure like Marsch now for championship(it more supports selles or Adkins caretaker route). If he’d at least done well in championship that might mitigate his poor managerial record in the Prem.

Right ok, so Kompany still didn't have any experience of the Championship then?

Marsch would really suit us as a club but he’ll be up against it with the general atmosphere created by where we currently find ourselves.

I’ve seen his record compared to that of Ralph which seems reasonable given their career paths and results at similar clubs. I think that comparison is fair but also overlooks personality. Marsch is far from Ralph in terms of man management and feels a lot closer to Adkins in those traits. 

Poch and Koeman aside, I’d take a hybrid of our next two most successful managers from the last 20 years…

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Right ok, so Kompany still didn't have any experience of the Championship then?

I believe I said appointing a young manager is another option. 

you haven’t said why you think doing the opposite of Burnley and appointing a bad candidate who will accept having relegation on his cv is preferable to doing a full summer appointment process.

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I understand what you are saying in respect of 'holding fire' until the summer, and it's something I'd support as well if we chose to do that - but that is somewhat writing the season off and it doesn't look as if the club want to do this yet.

I probably sound like Marsch's agent or something, but even though he did irritate me when he was Leeds manager, I can totally see the logic in grabbing him now. Let's not forget that this guy is a long-term target for us, this isn't a two second Rasmus spreadsheet pick, he was a target long before SR. The club liked what they saw in the past and felt he was a good fit if we were to replace Ralph, but the pieces didn't line up in regards to timings and when he turned up at Leeds we probably thought we'd lost our chance.

The door has somewhat unexpectedly been opened again now, he's unattached and is someone who would get behind a long-term project rather than a short-term fix. If we hold fire then that door will probably shut again, and I think he's someone the club genuinely want and have for a while.

When we appointed Jones it didn't make any sense, he didn't align with the style we were promoting or the players we were signing. Marsch makes much more sense in how he approaches and practices football, so I can certainly see the appeal. 

• Like 14

Jesse Marsch would be the closest to the “Southampton playbook” in terms of performance, energy, pressing, tactics and formation.

Only pluses regarding Gerrard and Lampard is their name, but it doesn’t make them good managers.

The Steve Wilder rumours I wouldn’t read too much into.

Anyone suggesting Poch, Tuchel etc, I think need to lower their expectations and realise we are not a catch right now.
Similarly people suggesting Nigel Adkins return - love him to bits, but he has no affiliation with any player aside from JWP, it would be a buzz for the fans but probably not the players.

• Like 3

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

Jesse Marsch would be the closest to the “Southampton playbook” in terms of performance, energy, pressing, tactics and formation.

Only pluses regarding Gerrard and Lampard is their name, but it doesn’t make them good managers.

Anyone suggesting Poch, Tuchel etc, I think need to lower their expectations and realise we are not a catch right now.
Similarly people suggesting Nigel Adkins return - love him to bits, but he has no affiliation with any player aside from JWP, it would be a buzz for the fans but probably not the players.

The Poch and Adkins chats are just emotions talking, I can't believe they are serious suggestions. 

All roads point to Marsch, unless we go totally left field and recruit Luton's manager.

• Haha 5

As much as this appointment will look ridiculous from the outside, I agree that it does make sense in a lot of ways. He genuinely seems like a decent bloke, unlike the previous knob head which is huge. Even if we keep losing and go down, he will hopefully install some sort of team spirit again. 

However, I am just sad that it’s come to this. Ultimately, if you had presented me with Nathan Jones and Marsch as successors to Ralph, I would probably have gambled on keeping Ralph and giving him some new players in the Jan window. I really thought SR’s money would help atttact a higher calibre of manager.  

But oh well - if the rumour is true he has my full 100% support  all season.  Positive vibes only from here. And who knows? Could be one of those lucky appointments where we fit each other like a glove. 

Edited by Osvaldorama
  • Like 4

I am not completely convinced by Marsch but blimey the amount of people who are suggesting a manager who has failed at Reading in the Prem and the Championship, then failed at Sheffield United and Charlton in League One as an appropriate replacement compared to someone who has actually kept a struggling team in the Prem, plus a load of experience in the Bundesliga and at the top of other Leagues.

I've said it before, anyone on here suggesting Adkins must really dislike the man to put him in a position where his perfect, untouchable achievements with us are pissed all over by making sure he has our relegation on his CV. And make him a bloody football trivia question for the rest of his life.

Why are so many of you so desperate to do that to him. Absolutely insane on all levels, fucking insane.

• Like 25

Just now, Osvaldorama said:

As much as this appointment will look ridiculous from the outside, I agree that it does make sense in a lot of ways. He genuinely seems like a decent bloke, unlike the previous knob head which is huge. Even if we keep losing and go down, he will hopefully install some sort of team spirit again. 

However, I am just sad that it’s come to this. Ultimately, if you had presented me with Nathan Jones and Marsch as successors to Ralph, I would probably have gambled on keeping Ralph and giving him some new players in the Jan window. I really thought SR’s money would help atttact a higher calibre of manager.  

But oh well - if the rumour is true he has my full 100% support  all season.  Positive vibes only from here.

Absolutley, it's a bit full circle really. It just shows that IMO we should have just stuck with Ralph and backed him in the January window, I'm absolutely certain he'd have picked up more points from our run just gone. We couldn't have done any worse!!

But Marsch will put us back on somewhat of a strategy again after the weirdest 3 months I've had supporting this club.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I believe I said appointing a young manager is another option. 

you haven’t said why you think doing the opposite of Burnley and appointing a bad candidate who will accept having relegation on his cv is preferable to doing a full summer appointment process.

I don't think Marsch is that bad a guy to have onboard. Like others have said he fits the mould from Ralph, plays a similar style to what our squad knows. I would fully expect him to be able to maintain a promotion bid should we go down. At some point, all but the very best managers are going to have a relegation on their CV's, either that or they jump ship before it happens. It makes little difference to have a summer recruitment process, we had a winter break this season and still managed to fuck up a replacement.

• Like 3

Is Marsch the most inspiring choice? No. Would he fit the style to which most of the players are accustomed, and the club as a whole have instilled in the last few years? Yes. Do I hate him as a person from the limited amount I've seen of him? No. So he'd be off to a good start in that regard. Especially compared to the last fella...

Personally speaking, I don't pay much attention to managers so won't be throwing any alternative names out there. I just want someone who will get something out of these players, who doesn't sound like a total prick when he speaks and might help us rebuild when we inevitably go down. I don't know if Marsch is that person, but I'm just really grateful that it won't be Mad Nate.

• Like 5

Why is it that some fans think we’re better than Marsch? The entitlement is absurd.

We want experience but they can’t have failed. So, Klopp, Pep, Potter (until he’s sacked) or they have to be a glamour name.

I like the idea of Marsch. He’s got a style, he’s got pedigree from the RB group and hopefully has had a little time to reflect on what went wrong at Leeds. Ankersen (not flavour of the month, I’m aware) has also been public about looking for people who’ve ‘failed’ as it gives the opportunity to learn and grow.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

Yet, in the end, Bielsa maverick genius could do nothing to prevent them regularly letting in 3 or 4 goals at a time.

One man’s genius is another ones madman.

Ralph was a maverick genius too, he was being touted for Man Utd only last year. We got some amazing results against some top 4 form sides but we did also occasionally let in 9. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In the credit column, Marsch is a successor to Ralph at Leipzig, having worked his way through the various Red Bull clubs. The sort of model / project SR are really keen to emulate. He's worked with top coaches in that environment along the way. He has won trophies and awards as a manager, and international caps as a player. He's assisted at World Cup level.

He's very much the man for a project, although projects are short term, results driven and coaches rarely have a tenure lasting to see much of one through. But he fits SR's model very well here, and is group focused.

The debits are that his Leipzig tenure wasn't anywhere near as successful as Ralph's. Like all tactics, there's a worry that his was picked open and couldn't adapt just as Ralph found. Sometimes, the overly complex tactics are the hardest to change, both in game and across a season.

He was replacing a very successful coach. The narrow style he adopted, and maintained at Leeds, didn't work with what had gone before, particularly RB's wingbacks. We do some of our best stuff with KWP. It would be nice to think Marsch could mix it up a little based on what worked with him at RB with him, before him, and after him.

SR were pleased enough to hire NJ on deep deliveries, so they'll be happy enough with what Marsch initially offers. However, it was hardly effective for us, although Marsch was operating it at a much higher level. Marsch's style might be a little past it's best. In the same way that RalphBall was great, right up until it got sussed, and suddenly wasn't.

A plus will be that a lot of the squad will see lots of Ralphisms. Slight downside if they hated all of that.

Marsch will have a striker, which is more than he really had access to often at Leeds, and more than Ralph got after Ings.

Having coached Bradley Wright Phillips, he has a Saints connection too.

RB are all over their stats, and Jesse has mentioned aggression quite a lot. He prefers pressing to front footedness, but is adaptable.

He's clearly very focused, but it's communicated in a relaxed, intelligent way rather than a defensive, chippy way that could lead to a fight in the club car park.

I'd call Leipzig and Leeds mixed rather than fails. So, he may have to dig out some failed school tests to convince Rasmus he has sufficient trauma to overcome.

Considering the esteem the RB coaching set up has, we could do far, far worse than Marsch. He will want to work to transform us as Ralph did. SR are willing to give time, and have brought in personnel. If nothing else, a direct, pressing Marsch team will be really entertaining, and sometimes scary, in the Championship.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I understand what you are saying in respect of 'holding fire' until the summer, and it's something I'd support as well if we chose to do that - but that is somewhat writing the season off and it doesn't look as if the club want to do this yet.

I probably sound like Marsch's agent or something, but even though he did irritate me when he was Leeds manager, I can totally see the logic in grabbing him now. Let's not forget that this guy is a long-term target for us, this isn't a two second Rasmus spreadsheet pick, he was a target long before SR. The club liked what they saw in the past and felt he was a good fit if we were to replace Ralph, but the pieces didn't line up in regards to timings and when he turned up at Leeds we probably thought we'd lost our chance.

The door has somewhat unexpectedly been opened again now, he's unattached and is someone who would get behind a long-term project rather than a short-term fix. If we hold fire then that door will probably shut again, and I think he's someone the club genuinely want and have for a while.

When we appointed Jones it didn't make any sense, he didn't align with the style we were promoting or the players we were signing. Marsch makes much more sense in how he approaches and practices football, so I can certainly see the appeal. 

Our long-term transfer strategy has been a joke, so the fact that he might have been a long time target at one point doesn’t instill the slightest flicker of confidence. Fear in a years time we’ll be sacking him for being a nice but poor manager and panicking again to try and get in play off position.

15 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I am not completely convinced by Marsch but blimey the amount of people who are suggesting a manager who has failed at Reading in the Prem and the Championship, then failed at Sheffield United and Charlton in League One as an appropriate replacement compared to someone who has actually kept a struggling team in the Prem, plus a load of experience in the Bundesliga and at the top of other Leagues.

I've said it before, anyone on here suggesting Adkins must really dislike the man to put him in a position where his perfect, untouchable achievements with us are pissed all over by making sure he has our relegation on his CV. And make him a bloody football trivia question for the rest of his life.

Why are so many of you so desperate to do that to him. Absolutely insane on all levels, fucking insane.

Marsch does have a bit of that Adkins positivity vibe about him. So, we can enjoy that while keeping Nige's legacy with us intact. 

When there are tough decisions to be made, and doubt creeps in, I know I'm not alone in saying "What would Nige do?" 🙂

• Like 2

Bielsa will be 68 this summer. Sacked from Leeds as well. 

Benitez has a good pedigree, but hasn't done we in the last 8 (?) odd years. 

Would be great to get Poch but can't see us having a chance unless he is bored! 

Overseas managers are a real gamble so late in the season after the last gamble. 

JM is positive and likeable so maybe will bring the sprit that we have been missing, even if tactics are simple. 

Of realistic options think he looks best option. 

Gerrard maybe good, but will he have the positive energetic personality we need at this time? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

You want us to get a proven lower level manager over a proven top level manager because the top level manager doesn't have experience in the lower level?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, niceandfriendly said:

I haven’t seen anyone list Tuchel as a possibility, yet have seen plenty saying “Those suggesting Tuchel need a reality check” or similar. 🤨 

So while we’re at it, all of you who keep saying we should go for Pep, give your damn heads a wobble. 

Pep was outplayed by Jones so I doubt anyone would want him.

Now I don’t have a Leeds supporting mate so I don’t think my opinion will count for anything, but Jesse seems ok to me, seems to play a style that will suit many of the players we have. Now if he just put the right players in the right position that would be a good start

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MAY-Z said:

Now I don’t have a Leeds supporting mate so I don’t think my opinion will count for anything, but Jesse seems ok to me, seems to play a style that will suit many of the players we have. Now if he just put the right players in the right position that would be a good start

Not picking Bednarek would be a good start. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, MAY-Z said:

Wow just Wow!,! Let that sink in……….Pep - outplayed, outthought, out scored and lost to a NJ side!! 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Cloesest as in poor performance,energy, pressing, tactics and formation. Let’s not forget we have been utterly shit for a lot longer than Jones’s 14 games.

Edited by wild-saint
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

You want us to get a proven lower level manager over a proven top level manager because the top level manager doesn't have experience in the lower level?

The guy has been sacked for being completely useless in the top flight, if that's what passes for proven in the top flight it is a meaningless phrase. And I do think we should be thinking ahead to where we are most likely to be playing next year not appointing the first idiot with zero substance willing to accept relegation.

7 hours ago, West end Saints said:

Bielsa will be 68 this summer. Sacked from Leeds as well. 

Benitez has a good pedigree, but hasn't done we in the last 8 (?) odd years. 

Would be great to get Poch but can't see us having a chance unless he is bored! 

Overseas managers are a real gamble so late in the season after the last gamble. 

JM is positive and likeable so maybe will bring the sprit that we have been missing, even if tactics are simple. 

Of realistic options think he looks best option. 

Gerrard maybe good, but will he have the positive energetic personality we need at this time? 

And what’s wrong with being 68 this summer I want to know?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

The guy has been sacked for being completely useless in the top flight, if that's what passes for proven in the top flight it is a meaningless phrase. And I do think we should be thinking ahead to where we are most likely to be playing next year not appointing the first idiot with zero substance willing to accept relegation.

Ralph was also 'sacked for being completely useless in the top flight', and yet, he wasn't 'completely useless' at all.

Not arguing he shouldn't have gone, not arguing that his football had gone stale, not arguing that his plan B didn't go missing, just saying he DID have some very good results with us, certainly at the beginning of his tenure.

I think it's fair to say that any new manager is going to be a lottery, right up until the point where they aren't ;) 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Ralph was also 'sacked for being completely useless in the top flight', and yet, he wasn't 'completely useless' at all.

Not arguing he shouldn't have gone, not arguing that his football had gone stale, not arguing that his plan B didn't go missing, just saying he DID have some very good results with us, certainly at the beginning of his tenure.

I think it's fair to say that any new manager is going to be a lottery, right up until the point where they aren't ;) 

Ralph at least had 1 mid table finish & a vastly better record at Leipzig. What's marsch, struggle & even failed in 2 attempts to beat a saints team in freefall.

5 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

I haven’t seen anyone list Tuchel as a possibility, yet have seen plenty saying “Those suggesting Tuchel need a reality check” or similar. 🤨 

So while we’re at it, all of you who keep saying we should go for Pep, give your damn heads a wobble. 

He turned Saints down before , also had a bit of a meltdown at Chelsea at the end . 

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Ralph at least had 1 mid table finish & a vastly better record at Leipzig. What's marsch, struggle & even failed in 2 attempts to beat a saints team in freefall.

So who do you expect us to get given where we are, and where we're  heading? If this were the summer and we were safe we've have all sorts of options. That's not the case though, and people need to accept the reality of our situation and how we attractive we're not to decent managers right now. 

How can people be supporting Adkins, or Poch or Biesla. One is sentimental rubbish, one is out of our league and one was sacked by Leeds, which seemingly means he’s rubbish. 
Marsch played similar to Ralph so the majority of the players understand their job and positional roles. No need to reinvent the wheel.  This style of play saw us up the top of the league and I would even dare say that we now have a quicker attacking threat. 

• Like 3

Ok am sold on Marsch as an option as he seems leagues above Jones.

Sometimes I think coaches suit certain clubs and i think marsch would suit us (players/club and owners) - short term and longer term if we are in the championship.

Man mangement seems on point especially important with young players.

Tactical formation aligns with our history of pressing and how we want to play.

Recent link to red bull players so might have an idea of who we could entice over etc.

Wrestlemania X-Seven Sport GIF by WWE

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Scoobysaint said:

How can people be supporting Adkins, or Poch or Biesla. One is sentimental rubbish, one is out of our league and one was sacked by Leeds, which seemingly means he’s rubbish. 
Marsch played similar to Ralph so the majority of the players understand their job and positional roles. No need to reinvent the wheel.  This style of play saw us up the top of the league and I would even dare say that we now have a quicker attacking threat. 

This.  Ralphball but with the players ralph needed 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, egg said:

So who do you expect us to get given where we are, and where we're  heading? If this were the summer and we were safe we've have all sorts of options. That's not the case though, and people need to accept the reality of our situation and how we attractive we're not to decent managers right now. 

If your statement is true(that only bad managers will take the job because we are seen to be relegated), read the room and put caretaker in charge and do a proper reset in the summer. I've already said if you are looking for pedigree Benitez stands out a mile (only failure was everton where he was despised from the off)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Very well said. If we were ever to reach for Adkins again, it would be if we were bottom of the Championship or in League 1, with a rebuild on the cards. Absolutely love the man for the memories he gave us as fans, but he is not the man to somehow save us now, nor i think to reverse our trajectory immediately on arrival in the Championship.

• Like 3