Jesse Marsch

saintscottofthenortham

30 minutes ago, sandwichsaint said:

Not sure we will see much more of tall Paul, bought for GrahamTaylor/natheball tactics, struggled on Saturday where we tried to play to his strengths (overlapping wing backs and lots of route one) the Prem has moved on since the days of Graham West etc. Hopefully the new manager will be a touch more sophisticated. 

For his first start in the Prem, I and man others thought Tall Paul done very well Saturday. There was a noteable difference in our outlet once Che replaced him (i.e. none).

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, sandwichsaint said:

Not having this, we buy players that suit only one system?

so their resale value is tied to only selling to a club that plays a certain system?

they will never play international football unless their.country is playing a certain system?

I call total BS on this, if we sign players that can only play one way no wonder they can’t beat 11 v 10 with a goal start.

You're looking for a problem here because you've decided you don't like Marsch. Stop misquoting people. It makes you look childish.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Are we going to consider/interview a few candidates or are we just going straight to appointing Marsch? If we've learnt our lessons, we should really exercise due diligence before appointing the next manager

I think Sport Republic would've been working overtime over the last few weeks (possibly even months), having realised this was going south rapidly. They certainly wouldn't have been sitting with their thumbs up there arses until Sunday morning before starting to look at managers. If Marsch is appointed in the next day or two, they would've been in contact with him last week and would've been speaking to others, too.

Worth bearing in mind, we've missed out on some potentially good managers by not pulling the trigger on more than one occasion now. With us or elsewhere, Jesse Marsch won't be out of work for long, so if we want him, we'll want to move quickly.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sandwichsaint said:

Not having this, we buy players that suit only one system?

so their resale value is tied to only selling to a club that plays a certain system?

they will never play international football unless their.country is playing a certain system?

I call total BS on this, if we sign players that can only play one way no wonder they can’t beat 11 v 10 with a goal start.

Individual players will obviously fit more than one system, and can adapt to different teams when they move on, but our squad as a whole was bought to fit a system (at least that was the theory!). High press, hard working etc.

In principle, I think this is very sensible. Otherwise, teams end up having to buy 5 or 6 new players every time they change manager. We’ve fallen into this bloated squad trap many times in the past.

Most of our players are used to Ralph’s style so I think we need a manager who plays a vaguely similar style. Doesn’t have to be identical, but I can’t see our players adapting quickly to a more defensive style, e.g. Nuno or Benitez.

The new manager needs to suit the players we have and quickly get them comfortable with his style of play.

I haven’t paid much attention to Leeds under Marsch, so I have no strong views on him personally, but his style sounds like it could fit our squad (except Tall Paul probably).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Um, Ankersen and co. allegedly tracked the recently-sacked out-of-his-depth muppet for 18 months. That's a hell of a lot of due diligence for a disastrous choice.

Um....in case you didnt know, we track alot of managers for an extended period of time. We dont just start suddenly looking at them when we need a replacement. The out of depth muppet wouldnt have been the only one we were tracking.

What I mean is Ralph was sacked and we jumped in record time to appoint Jones. Perhaps we should take a breath and weigh up all possible options, before appointing Marsch

22 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

I think Sport Republic would've been working overtime over the last few weeks (possibly even months), having realised this was going south rapidly. They certainly wouldn't have been sitting with their thumbs up there arses until Sunday morning before starting to look at managers. If Marsch is appointed in the next day or two, they would've been in contact with him last week and would've been speaking to others, too.

Worth bearing in mind, we've missed out on some potentially good managers by not pulling the trigger on more than one occasion now. With us or elsewhere, Jesse Marsch won't be out of work for long, so if we want him, we'll want to move quickly.

Yes I'm fully aware of all the work that continually goes on in the background and phone/in person conversations will have been had etc. But are there any formal interviews to understand whether our preferred candidate is indeed the best candidate for the job. If there are, I very much doubt all those interviews have already taken place. Or does Ankersen just take them for their word "yes I've spoken to him, hes interested, lets move now". Perhaps if we had've drilled down into Jones a bit more, the red flags would have been evident

15 minutes ago, STEVEADAMS said:

Marsch will be as bad as Jones 

I doubt that very much! Most people would rank Jones as the worst PL manager in history, and that includes managers of all clubs, not just Saints.

I'm not that keen on Marsch, but I'd take him in a heartbeat over Jones, and over Gerrard and Lampard too BTW.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Um....in case you didnt know, we track alot of managers for an extended period of time. We dont just start suddenly looking at them when we need a replacement. The out of depth muppet wouldnt have been the only one we were tracking.

What I mean is Ralph was sacked and we jumped in record time to appoint Jones. Perhaps we should take a breath and weigh up all possible options, before appointing Marsch

Jumping in "in record time" to appoint Jones wasn't the problem, given that we tracked him for 18 months The problem is that it was clearly Ankersen's choice and he's proven to be clueless.

Due diligence is important, but keeping Ankersen out of the decision process is what we also need.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Jumping in "in record time" to appoint Jones wasn't the problem, given that we tracked him for 18 months The problem is that it was clearly Ankersen's choice and he's proven to be clueless.

Due diligence is important, but keeping Ankersen out of the decision process is what we also need.

Are people failing to grasp who the owners of Southampton are?

Ankersen is not an employee.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

not Mr. Current Affairs, are you?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, SNSUN said:

He wouldn't be top of my list but then again be wouldn't be near the bottom either. He's reached a reasonable level of management through the Red Bull system so he must have something about him. Oh and he's been in the Prem for a couple of seasons so should know what we're about and our best line ups etc. I just think we're hastily appointing another new manager that we'll no doubt give a long contract to when perhaps a short term "firefighter" may be a better option, then regroup in the summer come what may. We shall see. He can't be worse than Jones... right?

Less than one season actually. In my opinion he’s a poor man’s Ralph and I have yet to hear a Leeds fan talk positively off him. The Athletic article last week published after his sacking was very damning too. I know we are scrabbling around the bargain basement pile but surely we can do better than this?

• Like 6

6 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

You are assuming SR have a degree of competence. So far we have seen little of it. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Find it hard to get excited about this one 

didnt last until Xmas at Leipzig ( so did a much worse job then Ralph ) 

then sacked at Leeds. Not sure what’s the selling point here ?

I agree. He failed at Montreal, he failed at RB Leipzig and he failed at Leeds. His record at Leeds (29.73% win rate) was worse than Ralph's record at Southampton (34.19%) and his record at RB Leipzig (38.10%) was much worse than Ralph's (48.19%). So, why would anyone think he'd be better than Ralph here???

The same red flags of previous failure are there that were there for Nathan Jones, only there are more of them.

For those who say he saved Leeds from relegation, they weren't even in the bottom 3 when he took over in February. The one thing in his favour is that he is a more likeable person than Nathan Jones. I actually felt sorry for Marsch when he was at Leeds, because you could see he was a decent bloke finding it hard to cope.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 6

Throwback in style and going back to being a reactive team will suit the players. Although likely to be less DCC and Onauchu and more Bednarek, Moi and Che so good luck stomaching that.

Do enjoy reading the odd ‘good for the  Championship’ comment as if he gets anywhere near the start of next season if we’re relegated. This toxic fan base just saw off one guy after 8 games, nobody is surviving 16 if we’re down. 

15 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

I agree. He failed at Montreal, he failed at RB Leipzig and he failed at Leeds. His record at Leeds (29.73% win rate) was worse than Ralph's record at Southampton (34.19%) and his record at RB Leipzig (38.10%) was much worse than Ralph's (48.19%). So, why would anyone think he'd be better than Ralph here???

The same red flags of previous failure are there that were there for Nathan Jones, only there are more of them.

For those who say he saved Leeds from relegation, they weren't even in the bottom 3 when he took over in February. The one thing in his favour is that he is a more likeable person than Nathan Jones. I actually felt sorry for Marsch when he was at Leeds, because you could see he was a decent bloke finding it hard to cope.

Can we please stop with this judging based primarily on stats nonsense. How Marsch did at Leeds with the players available to him there is not comparable to how Ralph did here with the players at his disposal. They also managed 3 years apart at Leipzig. 

Stop comparing apples with bananas. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, egg said:

He seems a bit of a maverick for sure. Seems wedded to a back 3 though. We've been there once or twice and it doesn't go well. 

If we appoint another manager with a back 3 as his favoured formation then it was definitely the board making Ralph work on a back 3 all summer and for the first game of the season - it must be. 

• Like 1

I'm genuinely curious if Marsch fans would love him so much if he came from Rhyl in Wales rather than Racine in Wisconsin.

To me there's nothing good about him. He took over a struggling leeds side and kept them struggling(fortunately there were 3 worse sides), This season he kept them struggling and was finally sacked because they were sure he was going to relegate them. He's the worst non saints manager at St Marys i can think of this season when he sat on his hands tactically as they threw away 2 points. His record at Leipzig wasn't even good. He won at Salsburg(well let's say that's not hard, they won every title since 06/07 haven't they?

image.png.297ebdc74e8c826f24383558fba5b458.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

Throwback in style and going back to being a reactive team will suit the players. Although likely to be less DCC and Onauchu and more Bednarek, Moi and Che so good luck stomaching that.

Do enjoy reading the odd ‘good for the  Championship’ comment as if he gets anywhere near the start of next season if we’re relegated. This toxic fan base just saw off one guy after 8 games, nobody is surviving 16 if we’re down. 

Was this the wrong thing to do then?

2 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Hi Always? How are you pal? Seems like you loved Nathan Jones. How you coping on day one without him?

Edited by Turkish

3 minutes ago, OldNick said:

He wont unite the fanbase behind him, that's for sure.

Strikes me he is the Manager version of Rasmus

That’s what I think we need. A name manager like Benitez to unite the club as much as possible, brings experience and we only need keep him on until the summer whatever happens. He’s probably a pipe dream but is available. I don’t blame him for what happened at Everton either, they are a club in as much crap as us. I’m not saying it has to be Benitez but someone that can pull the club together in our main goal this season.

Benitez is a proven cup winner too… 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Kompany was a top player, Carrick too. Both doing wonders in the Championship as was Rooney at Derby not so long ago . Scott Parker was doing OK at Fulham for quite a chunk of time. Some clubs just don't fit certain people but also I think in Lampard and Gerrard's case they took big pressure jobs too soon. Lampard previously did well at Derby (albeit with loans from Chelsea helping him) and Gerrard previously did well at Rangers. I'm not saying either are the answer for us necessarily (though I'd prefer Gerrard) but to write them off is a bit premature. They'll get Prem or Championship jobs again eventually.

It's not that top players can't be great managers, but I've seen enough of Lampard and Gerrard to know that they are not going to make it at Prem level

• Like 2

If Marsch is up for a long term plan which could involve a stint in the Championship then I can see the logic in his appointment. Long term target of the club, knows the league and should be able to bring some positivity to the dressing room. Leeds have looked good in the few games I have seen them, even if they lack clinical players to get the result in the end, which can’t always be attributed to the manager. We need someone who has a philosophy that can work in the PL and to least get us playing coherently, even if it won’t work all the time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

DCC played for RB Salzburg, admittedly before Marsch's time, but he's built in that mould - he'll do well under Marsch (if he comes)

3 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Comparing win rates of various manager at the same club is pointless, there are so many other variables to take into account. At RB Salzburg Marsch had an identical win rate to Roger Schmidt (69%) who took Benfica on a 29 game unbeaten run - not sure we could compare them? Heck even Marco Rose' win rate at Salzburg was just a few percentage points higher and he'd be a phenomenal appointment!

6 hours ago, Nolan said:

Are people failing t

o grasp who the owners of Southampton are?

Ankersen is not an employee.

Here we go again. Sport Republic is owned and controlled by Dragan Solak. According to companies House register, details of which have been posted in here, it is possible that Ramus Ankersen owns a tiny shareholding but if he does it has very little monetary value and just allows voting rights within the company. Voting rights which obviously can't challenge that of Dragans. If Dragan wants Rasmus out, Rasmus is out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

I don't think we're able to shop in the same place that we got Ralph from tbh. The equivalent is probably above our station right now given where we are in the league. But Ralph had run out of steam in the end. For me, Marsh could do a better job than Ralph this season, but probably wouldn't be able to do as good a job as Ralph overall. 

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, cloggy saint said:

It may be a simplistic view, but why replace a manager who failed miserably with someone who failed almost as miserably? I know we're not a big enough draw for any 'elite' manager but surely we can attract someone on the back of some relative success?

That is for he summer time, surely....

Just now, cloggy saint said:

It may be a simplistic view, but why replace a manager who failed miserably with someone who failed almost as miserably? I know we're not a big enough draw for any 'elite' manager but surely we can attract someone on the back of some relative success?

That might be where we aren't such an attraction. Bottom of the table and all that. 

2 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

have you forgotten sir leslie hughes?

Edited by SotonianWill

3 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

He wasn't actually as bad as the results suggested, Leeds fans certainly don't think so. I always thought Leeds were in games when they played, always good to watch, no thrashings or anything like that - he seemed incredibly unlucky there, given he had Bamford out for most of the season and then lost Rodrigo.

Just had a very interesting conversation with a couple of clients, both who played for a PL team at various levels, and they seem to think Marsch would be a very good appointment for us and explained why. In summary Leeds are only one or two players off being firmly mid-table and feel he was very hard done by to be sacked...  I'd certainly take these guys opinions seriously so I've come away feeling a little positive about the whole situation.  (They did spend about ten mins laughing about NJ though.....)

• Like 2