Jesse Marsch

saintscottofthenortham

Find all this stuff about not being able to attract good managers in our position a bit odd, to be honest. Whoever gets the job will get many millions of pounds, succeed or fail. That is quite an incentive, and a lure to many decent managers (you'd have thought) perhaps in other, less cash rich leagues. Even Scotland...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Find all this stuff about not being able to attract good managers in our position a bit odd, to be honest. Whoever gets the job will get many millions of pounds, succeed or fail. That is quite an incentive, and a lure to many decent managers (you'd have thought) perhaps in other, less cash rich leagues. Even Scotland...

Who would want relegation from the premier league on their CV? Who would want relegation AND a failure to gain promotion back the premier league on their CV. Work ain't just about the money - it's also about career prospects, achieving something, not failing, not getting shit from the fans and media, etc.

I can fully understand why people would swerve us. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

If in the running, given that his official height is recorded as 5ft 11ins, would it be OK to refer to Marsch as a 'big Jesse'?  This could be a crucial factor in me supporting his candidature.

Anyone who prefixes a footballer's or manager's name with 'big' should be strung up from a lamp post by their testicles. It's beyond unimaginative.

Although I do get the reference in this case.

Edited by cloggy saint

1 minute ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Hypothetically, what about 'tall', and especially if it rhymes with their first name, that surely ought to be permitted?

Already got Tall Paul. Maybe there's a song we could sing about them. Bored with the "Pompey get battered", "Shit on the bastards below", "John Westwood", "I asked my mother" ensemble.

I have just spoken to a friend who has been watching Leeds home and away 60 years. He said the fan base was about 50/50 about wanting him sacked. His two weaknesses were the narrow preference and wait for it …..no plan B. On the plus side he said he was a likeable manager. My mate wanted to him to stay longer. 
I originally thought all fans wanted him gone. Seems I was wrong. I’m still not keen but can’t really think of anyone else who would come and stay following relegation. Can’t help think the club needs a total reset and rethink though and I’m not confident in a SR/Marsch combo being capable of that. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I have just spoken to a friend who has been watching Leeds home and away 60 years. He said the fan base was about 50/50 about wanting him sacked. His two weaknesses were the narrow preference and wait for it …..no plan B. On the plus side he said he was a likeable manager. My mate wanted to him to stay longer. 
I originally thought all fans wanted him gone. Seems I was wrong. I’m still not keen but can’t really think of anyone else who would come and stay following relegation. Can’t help think the club needs a total reset and rethink though and I’m not confident in a SR/Marsch combo being capable of that. 

Do many managers have plan B's these days? They seem to have a philosophy/coaching style and want to implement that and make it work (apart from Jones that is, he didn't even have that)

At least we have signed a striker that's a different option I guess. We haven't really had that for a while. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Virtually all fired managers get slagged for having no "plan b".

It will happen soon to Antonio Conte.

Maybe being clear on your plan A is actually a strength rather than supposed flexibility which often leads to disjointed confusion?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Edited by manji
Repeat

Just now, manji said:

Ey up bro.

I liked him. Lots of Leeds fans did not, i feel he struggled at Leeds because he followed Bielsa so was always tricky. He plays very attacking football using a gaegen press , and he's very big on psychology and can turn players form (look at Rodrigo for us). He gets a lot of unfair stick imo. By tine the board backed him he only had one game. I dont think he got a fair chance, i know he got near a year, but he inherited a broken squad with minimal investment and depth after the Bielsa years.
From a Leeds Season ticket holder I know

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hodgey said:

Just looked at Marsch record, 37 games with a pretty average Leeds side with some key injuries - I’d say similar squad to what we currently have so record of 11 wins and 10 draws = 43 points. Not brilliant but we’ve seen worse..

If you've pulled that from wiki then it includes cup games. His PL record is played 32, won 8, drew 9 and lost 15. 33 points. Just over a point a game 😕

19 minutes ago, ecurnew02 said:

At least if Marsch comes in it’ll be a breath of fresh air in the clubhouse for the lads, I’m sure they got tired of hearing about welsh mining communities 

Comparing Jones and Jesse a breath of fresh air in the dental hygene sense too! 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, DT said:

Any truly decent manager isn’t primarily motivated by money. They’ll absolutely look at the bigger picture and make a decision based on that.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Jones had plans A - E each game, and that was just for our defensive shape. They were all shit though. 

If we can get a manager with a decent plan A for the rest of this season, that'd be a start.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Not everything is. But supporting Saints during this period, when we have had to endure watching a manager having a mental breakdown live on TV, appointed out of his depth by a management team that trusts being 'outliers' with blind faith in dodgy statistics to offer multi-million pound contracts when seemingly everyone else in the country can see that it is bats puts us firmly into 'laughing stock' territory, which will be further enhanced by the compounding appointment of this 'soccerball' chancer who fluked survival at Leeds last season and was sacked by that relegation rival because of his most recent appalling history of results. That's why this would be embarrassing.

How was it a fluke last season, he had 12 games, 4 wins and 3 draws. A losing period of 3 matches that was Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea. Pretty solid mid table performance, that would have netted 47 points over the season.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Virtually all fired managers get slagged for having no "plan b".

It will happen soon to Antonio Conte.

Maybe being clear on your plan A is actually a strength rather than supposed flexibility which often leads to disjointed confusion?

Agree with this. I think we’ve been on a downward slope ever since Ralph lost faith in his original Plan A (high press, high risk, 4-2-2-2 etc) and he tried becoming more pragmatic.

We couldn’t have just carried on unchanged after the second 9-0, but (with hindsight) Ralph ‘Plan A 2.0’ didn’t improve us. We’ve got gradually worse.

I appreciate that this is a bit of an over-simplification. Maybe it would have worked if we’d properly replaced Ings etc. But maybe this just proves that when manager’s get stale and their plan stops working, it’s time to change manager.

I admired the way Semmens stuck with Ralph and went against the trigger-happy sack the manager orthodoxy, but (again with hindsight) 90th out of 92 in 2022 proves things weren’t working.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

If we get an American coach who keeps us up we might get on a season of all or nothing given we want to expand our footprint, that is of course Amazon decides to cover a shit team for a change.

A TV show about us? In America? 

Hope they don't form a religious cult based on us too, or an American version of us like they did with 'Shameless' and 'The Office', God awful.

Just when you thought we couldn't get any shitter and then the American version comes out 🤦‍♂️👀🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

Hairy cheese.

Edited by Master Bates

1 hour ago, manji said:

Ey up bro.

I liked him. Lots of Leeds fans did not, i feel he struggled at Leeds because he followed Bielsa so was always tricky. He plays very attacking football using a gaegen press , and he's very big on psychology and can turn players form (look at Rodrigo for us). He gets a lot of unfair stick imo. By tine the board backed him he only had one game. I dont think he got a fair chance, i know he got near a year, but he inherited a broken squad with minimal investment and depth after the Bielsa years.
From a Leeds Season ticket holder I know

How old is your “mate”? Ey up is generally said by people over 70, bro by people under 18. You’r season ticket friend appears to be a hybrid of a pensioner and a kid, nice effort though 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, melmacian_saint said:

Leeds might not have a better squad, but they have a better, more experienced and routined starting 11.

Not top 10, but they should be at least tracking Palace for performance with a manager that can read and manage the match, and respond effectively rather than just set a team up to play nicely but poorly prepared for when the wind turns. I feel Marsch and Bielsa were the latter. 

I'm not sure Jesse Marsch "saved" them from relegation - yes, he did get almost as many wins in the last 12 games as Bielsa up to the point of resignation (4 vs. 5), but two of those were against the season's zombie teams Norwich (last minute win) and Watford, plus a final day with survival out of their direct control, without even playing Burnley (and so just purely out of their bad performance) - that was not the case when he joined.

He also took 5 games to get a win - we can't afford that right now without things spiralling out of control again. 

3 games to get a win, they were 18 when he took over and finished 17. Bielsa's 0.9 pt/game to his 1.2 pt/game. And the survival not in their hands on the last day, was due to goal difference  with Bielsa shipping in goals at 3 per game to Marsch's 1.6.

By anyone metrics he improved the team and kept them up.

Calculations done on the toilet so may not be 100% accurate 😉

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

The contrast in the likability of the last two appointments ffs

I do like a likeable manager. Always had soft spots for Bally, Gordon and Nige. It's like I'm wanting them to do well. While Jesse wouldn't be my choice It's very possible I'll be won over pretty quickly and I'll want him to be a success whatever league we're in.

• Like 3

Just now, SaintsLoyal said:

Marsch was sacked at leeds for being shite and sucking the life out of the fans.

He was fundamentally sacked for not getting the results, that's the only fact.

Leeds are split on him, he is not as universally hated as some make out and a lot of their fingers point at Orta, their bat crazy DoF/Owner/Manager or whatever he wants to be today.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He was fundamentally sacked for not getting the results, that's the only fact.

Leeds are split on him, he is not as universally hated as some make out and a lot of their fingers point at Orta, their bat crazy DoF/Owner/Manager or whatever he wants to be today.

I just had a dig through some Marsch threads on the Leeds forum. Have to say, I couldn't find too much evidence of them being split on him.

One comment did make me chuckle:

He had the players watching The Redeem Team, about the US Mens Basketball Team going from s**t at the Athens Olympics to winning in Beijing. As you do when you're staring relegation in the face in a totally different sport!!

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I just had a dig through some Marsch threads on the Leeds forum. Have to say, I couldn't find too much evidence of them being split on him.

One comment did make me chuckle:

He had the players watching The Redeem Team, about the US Mens Basketball Team going from s**t at the Athens Olympics to winning in Beijing. As you do when you're staring relegation in the face in a totally different sport!!

It worked though to be fair.

I find forums to contain the more extreme views of a fan base, at both ends, you'll get more balanced views when you speak face to face with people. I'm just saying what I've heard from a guy who supports Leeds, and to be fair it's echoed by a few others on here.

Let's not kid ourselves, he's a typical annoying yank full of cliches and bollocks about rosters and soccer, but he was brought into keep Leeds up last year and he did it.

1 hour ago, Maggie May said:

The board know we are down.  Marsch is likely prepared to drop into the Championship and should be a good addition in that sense. Having time to bed him in for a push for promotion isn’t a bad idea on paper. 

In what way would he bit a good fit for championship. I think he’d likely be even more of a disaster in that setting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

It worked though to be fair.

I find forums to contain the more extreme views of a fan base, at both ends, you'll get more balanced views when you speak face to face with people. I'm just saying what I've heard from a guy who supports Leeds, and to be fair it's echoed by a few others on here.

Let's not kid ourselves, he's a typical annoying yank full of cliches and bollocks about rosters and soccer, but he was brought into keep Leeds up last year and he did it.

"full of cliches and bollocks"

Ah, you're scaring me now

• Haha 1

Just now, Convict Colony said:

If I was the owners and wanted to appoint marsch I'd release some names of "people we were interested in" you know basically the Bruce, Dean Smith, Wilder etc etc so everyone thinks fuck marsch is decent let's get him.

In fairness, Leeds would be even better placed to do this "one of the people we are speaking to is Nathan Jones..."

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Leeds fan " Jesse Marsch lost the players in formation and they had no idea what they were doing"

Snap !

To be fair tho biesla had them man marking for like 3 seasons all over the pitch and just be fit as fuck.

I remember how long it took our numpties to learn the triggers etc.

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

If I was the owners and wanted to appoint marsch I'd release some names of "people we were interested in" you know basically the Bruce, Dean Smith, Wilder etc etc so everyone thinks fuck marsch is decent let's get him.

So wilder a guy who finished massively higher than marsch in Prem and has experience of getting promoted is a joke name, but relegation zone marsch is not. Hmm 

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Let's not kid ourselves, he's a typical annoying yank full of cliches and bollocks about rosters and soccer, but he was brought into keep Leeds up last year and he did it

You think British football cliches are any better or less annoying?

Get it in the mixer

Let the defender know you’re there

They’re a proper football club.

He’s got good feet for a big man.

etc.

2 hours ago, Hodgey said:

Just looked at Marsch record, 37 games with a pretty average Leeds side with some key injuries - I’d say similar squad to what we currently have so record of 11 wins and 10 draws = 43 points. Not brilliant but we’ve seen worse..

I think he has overachieved with that squad. Man for man, I’d pick most of our squad over theirs any day of the week.