Jesse Marsch

saintscottofthenortham

42 minutes ago, trousers said:

Why did Newcastle appoint a manager who got a team relegated from the PL and who failed when he previously went to another premier league team? It's almost as if managers have the capacity to succeed at some clubs and fail at others... ;)

Exactly that, it happens a lot! Sometimes a manager just fits with a certain club and squad. I remember clearly when Strachan got the job here after just getting Coventry relegated for the first time in decades, there was (understandable) scepticism (to put it lightly) and he did a fantastic job with the bunch of misfits we had at the time, and almost won us an FA Cup.

• Like 3

Hopefully we can get through to the end of February without a Marsch Out thread.

Sensible choice, seems like someone who will be positive and give it a good crack and its not his fault we are probably already doomed.

Lets hope the fans get behind him.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

That Gnonto video getting praise is funny. It’s just someone being nice, hardly ground breaking stuff. The more interesting thing is why it took him so long to play the kid. Even Italy called him up before Leeds.

Also, posts about how his credibility will help us if we’re in the Championship are deluded. He’s got 16 league games in charge plus cup games and we’re 4 points off safety. If we’re in the Championship next season then that’s double the amount of dross we’ve just been through with Jones and Marsch will have lost a lot of credibility with us, media and players. 

Anyway… appointment seems fine, it will suit the players better in the short term and hopefully we can gather some momentum at the most important part of the season. I think people under estimate how long we have left.

Yeah exactly. In some ways is it not a bit weird that he knew literally nothing about the kids personal life, family, settling in arrangements etc? Maybe thats just how it is at prem teams, but in my head i had imagined managers being involved enough in recruitment to know something about a player and their character and background etc.

Edited by Saint86

Not exactly the most inspiring appointment but a massive improvement on Jones mainly because he won’t start by telling everyone he is the best manager in Europe and chosen by god to bring the saints marching up the table!  Hopefully he will set the team up to suit the players we have and look to play football not hoofball.  I don’t think he has a hope of keeping us up as it would just take to bigger turn around in form which rarely if ever happens I’d be happy with showing some fight for the rest of the season to build a little positive momentum going into next season in the championship, teams that go down with a whimper struggle to get back up as it is hard to reverse that momentum!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

don’t know why I find this so funny when he starts swearing 

Just watching that tirade of foul mouthed abuse destroys any illusion that he might be the right choice for us. We've just rid ourselves of one vociferous inarticulate oaf so why on earth we would want another is beyond me.

Surely we can find somebody with a bit more class and eloquence than this obnoxious vulgar idiot.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 3

15 minutes ago, trousers said:

I think we're in agreement then.... Managers can succeed at some clubs (e.g. Bournemouth, Newcastle) and fail at others (e.g. Bournemouth, Burnley).... 

The Premier League is the most competitive in the World, twenty teams, three of which will go down every season, another two or three who struggle. That doesn't mean there are five 'shit' managers who we should avoid like the plague.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Hopefully we can get through to the end of February without a Marsch Out thread.

Sensible choice, seems like someone who will be positive and give it a good crack and its not his fault we are probably already doomed.

Lets hope the fans get behind him.

I think this is my general take on it, it's a sensible choice in the context of everything. 

I couldn't really see the sense or logic in jones, even before he was appointed, I tried to get behind him and believed we'd seen something in him but it was very difficult.

Marsch is the opposite as I can see the logic as to why we'd go for him, there is some sense to it. He totally has my backing and I hope he can bring some genuine positivity to the group and the fan base. We just need some hope again, if he's 10% better than Jones then we'll be chuffed.

The club just need to forget the last 3 months, the biggest cluster fuck ever. It happened, it’s put us in a perilous position but now we have a chance to regain some hope again, not just short-term but long term.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, iansums said:

The Premier League is the most competitive in the World, twenty teams, three of which will go down every season, another two or three who struggle. That doesn't mean there are five 'shit' managers who we should avoid like the plague.

Exactly. Marco Silva, Sean Dyche, Eddie Howe and David Moyes all have PL relegations on their CV’s but i’m sure most would take any one of them with open arms.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Just watching that tirade of foul mouthed abuse destroys any illusion that he might be the right choice for us. We've just rid ourselves of one vociferous inarticulate oaf so why on earth we would want another is beyond me.

Surely we can find somebody with a bit more class and eloquence than this obnoxious vulgar idiot.

You've obviously not seen the Arsenal documentary, Arteta is very similar.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

You'll probably find most managers swear a bit to be honest.

Seems fair enough at this point but largely depends what sort of contract we agree to. 

Positives - Knowledge of the Premiership so doesn't need time that we have not got to adjust. Knows Leeds inside out and we have still to play them. Will have some knowledge of our current players, including the new ones as Leeds fish in the same transfer pond as us. Allegedly plays a similar system as Ralph and it was a good system when implemented well. Doesn't make a tit of himself in interviews. Very 'up and at 'em' which whilst short term, maybe exactly what we need. Willing to come to us in our present position. Probably relatively cheap. 

Negatives - Not a fancy name that some would like. Has a sketchy CV. 'Failed' at Leeds although apparently he did have them playing well.

Overall I don't think it is as crazy as some think. Some Managers fit with some clubs and not others. He may well be a decent fit. With Jones, it was abundantly clear that he would never work. So much so that RA must truly have something missing not to see it. At least with Marsch, there is some logic and potential to work out.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

That Gnonto video getting praise is funny. It’s just someone being nice, hardly ground breaking stuff. The more interesting thing is why it took him so long to play the kid. Even Italy called him up before Leeds.

Also, posts about how his credibility will help us if we’re in the Championship are deluded. He’s got 16 league games in charge plus cup games and we’re 4 points off safety. If we’re in the Championship next season then that’s double the amount of dross we’ve just been through with Jones and Marsch will have lost a lot of credibility with us, media and players. 

Anyway… appointment seems fine, it will suit the players better in the short term and hopefully we can gather some momentum at the most important part of the season. I think people under estimate how long we have left.

Indeed it's not. However it's not something thats been in large supply recently so can't be a bad thing.

1 minute ago, iansums said:

You've obviously not seen the Arsenal documentary, Arteta is very similar.

It seems a common theme for sports coaches, in pretty much every one the documentaries I’ve watched they seem to like to scream and shout and the majority swear more than peak Gordon Ramsey!

Looks like its happening .. I am feeling as underwhelmed as I did when we announced Jones. As with Jones he will get my support until he is gone and let's hope he can sprinkle some magic but I just can't see this being the solution unfortunately. 

A win at Elland Road will be fun though and would brighten the mood. 

• Like 1

Well I have to say I was not in favour initially of Marsch, mainly because there seemed to be better high profile candidates available. The problem of course is they’re likely not available to us!

Having done a bit more research (including watching his utube CV video which I thought was good), I do think that he would be a very good fit. And as someone has already eluded, sometimes so called ‘failed’ managers do extremely well at another club where their tactics, training and philosophy are more suited to the club and squad setup. He’d be coming into a reasonably unpressured project…try to keep us up, or if not, keep the squad motivated for a big promotion push in the 23-24 season.

I am now fully bought into the JM hype and I hope the club get it done quickly. Well, until he plays Bednarek, then I’m fully #marschout! 🤣

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the aftermath of Jones’ sacking this board feels a lot more upbeat, and a reality check has kicked in both in terms of where we are at present and likely scenario come May. I didn’t want Marsch but I have given him the same benefit of doubt I  gave Nathan Jones prior to him being officially announced. Watched a lot of video last 48 hours in terms of JM’s football and interviews.  Talked to Leeds fans I know. Football is attacking and should at least be fun and interesting, particularly with the January signings. Post Biesla Leeds didn’t back Marsch.  Interview style is cheesy to our Brit ears but he seems earnest, frank and likeable.  A vast improvement on Jones and if he’s announced potentially the right fit for us right now. Beggars can’t be choosers, particularly when the destitution is self-inflicted by your Danish guru. 

Edited by Miltonaggro
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Why, fans aren't experts and they're allowed to not like a given manager. That reads like an intro to the early defence of Jones by some fans when he was first appointed... i.e. where we had a set of fans determined to dump on anyone that was critical of Jones at the start - not something that needs to be repeated and hopefully not how you meant it to be taken.

Also, there is another thread for discussing other/all managerial candidates so it would seem a bit silly to replicate that here?

As for Jessie Marcsh, there is a limited breakdown of his time at Leeds (last season) here:
https://themastermindsite.com/2022/05/23/jesse-marsch-leeds-united-tactical-analysis-2021-22/

TLDR:

Played predominantly a 4-2-3-1 as others have previously said, switching into more of a 4-2-2-2, 4-4-2, 4-2-4 (depending on your preference) out of possession for the high press/recovery. Full/Wing backs push up to limit gaps and press wide men (perhaps not as much as Ralph), but so that it resembles a 2-4-4. (All very similar to Ralph - seeks to score goals by winning the ball back in a high press basically).

Kalvin Philips shined for him in the middle when fit due to his ball winning ability in that system - (Similar to Romeu for us i'd wager).

Used a 10 behind the main striker coming deep to dictate attacking play (likely JWP, maybe Stu). Not always the most aggressive team in possession apparently, sometimes quite patient in passing where more attacking direct play would have suited better. Favours wide wing play when attacking - wing backs and wingers getting at the full backs is a strong feature.

Article is somewhat critical of Leeds defensive players, talks about a lack of cohesion and communication between the back 4. (Personally i would say that any four from KWP, Perruad, ABK, Salisu, DCC, Bree is better than what Leeds can field.)

Apparently leeds suffered a lot from unforced errors (looks at Diallo and "Janny B") which cost them on various occasions. Marsch also likes to play the ball out from the back - which has seen them get caught out vs high energy attacking sides/presses. Meslier's distribution is poor, but he's a good shot stopper.

States he suffered from key injuries in midfield so struggled to maintain regular partnerships. (similar to saints - we only have Alcaraz, JWP, and Lavia that i would want to see lining up in central midfield for us ideally).

Hi front 4 at leeds was Dan James, Rodrigo, Raphinha, and Harrison. All geared to wards high energy and pressing. (We'd likely go with Edozie, JWP, Sulemana, and big Paul)... I'd personally favour that leeds attack over ours - certainly on current form).

Says he likes to improvise and experiment a lot - sometimes well, sometimes poorly - but he did have a lot of injuries.

I'll be honest, I didn't read all your post cos it's too long but I'll reply as you quoted me.  I want to know who people would appoint other than Marsch because otherwise it just sounds like you're moaning.  I can accept Marsch isn't perfect and have said as much but IMO he's the best we could realistically get.  By all means moan about it but if you don't have a better suggestion then it's a bit pointless.  We can all do it but doesn't achieve much of anything. 

Beggars can't be choosers to be honest. I mean if we get some Ralph ball at its best, some front foot football etc. and he doesn't alienate the players like Ralph seem to do, which seemed to be a large part of his downfall then it could work. 

I mean at our best playing aggressive pressing football we beat some of the best in the land. Yeh he 'failed' at Leeds but looking at the underlying numbers he seemed a tad unlucky, had his two best players sold in the summer and their main striker has been almost consistently injured, and like our board they didn't seem to rectify that obvious deficiency. 

Also had we appointed him in the summer or before he went to Leeds would people be questioning it? I think most people would have been quite excited by it. 

As others have also said, pretty much every manager has had some failures on his CV, I doubt West Ham fans were very enthusiastic about Moyes being appointed, I'd imagine there were lots of doubts about Howe at Newcastle etc. 

Hopefully he will be a good fit and will get something clicking early, I'd rather we acted quickly, we've dithered enough with Jones as it is and let so many winnable games pass by. 

Probably the best option to get right now, and we've clearly been tracking him for a while, even before SR he was on the radar so he's been clearly rated by many within the club and isn't a complete unknown. He also has some experience in the league and knows what to expect (and hopefully after Leeds what not to do and what he can do better) which you won't get with a foreign manager. 

• Like 2

I think we're at the point where no one really expects us to stay up, so if we are going to back him into next season then he's got a bit of a free hit.

I just want to see ssomeone demonstrate the ability to impose an attractive and organised style on the team and get our best players doing what they do best. Not being a massive twat would also be a big bonus.

I think we all know that Salisu, ABK, KWP, Lavia and JWP will be off in the summer but if we keep the rest of the core squad then next season could be pretty fun if he can create a positive environment. I'm intrigued by what will happen with the new signings - if we have Tall Paul, Sulemana, Orsic and Alcaraz in the Champ then we should be able to enjoy ourselves!

• Like 2

Feels a bit weird but Gordon Strachan actually relegated Coventry so it might work. If he has agreed to stay to get us back up then great.

If SaintsWeb official ray-of-sunshine @DT was a Leeds fan right now he would utterly convinced that a Marsch led Saints will survive at the expense of Leeds. Utterly convinced of it.

So lets see if the football gods make that happen. Would be funny. 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Feels a bit weird but Gordon Strachan actually relegated Coventry so it might work. If he has agreed to stay to get us back up then great.

If SaintsWeb official ray-of-sunshine @DT was a Leeds fan right now he would utterly convinced that a Marsch led Saints will survive at the expense of Leeds. Utterly convinced of it.

So lets see if the football gods make that happen. Would be funny. 

I would not actually. I’d be like most of the fans I’ve read about and be thinking that is another relegation post filled. No need to be a twat if you don’t share that view. Might be a bit late for you though

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Utterly dispiriting news if true. Hope i'm proved wrong and it is not another damaging appointment.

Be careful. You’re not allowed to disapprove on here. Or usual suspect police will come for you

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Utterly dispiriting news if true. Hope i'm proved wrong and it is not another damaging appointment.

How much more damaging than Jones can he be he played Bednarek FFS I thought I had seen the last of that clown!

We are bottom and likely to stay in bottom 3 unless he can work some miracle our last god fearing manager couldn’t do 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DT said:

I would not actually. I’d be like most of the fans I’ve read about and be thinking that is another relegation post filled. No need to be a twat if you don’t share that view. Might be a bit late for you though

If Jesse Marsch had gone to another premier league club, lets say he got sacked a few weeks ago and Everton snapped him up you'd also be saying that we should have got him. Come on Alps, time for some new material.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, benjii said:

I think we all know that Salisu, ABK, KWP, Lavia and JWP will be off in the summer

I don’t think that’s a given…SR have the financial clout to keep these guys for at least a season in the Championship I would think (plus parachute payment) and they’re on contracts. The only issue will be if they have relegation clauses in their contracts - more likely with Tall Paul and Sally. Might need to sell if we don’t go straight back up.

22 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I'll be honest, I didn't read all your post cos it's too long but I'll reply as you quoted me.  I want to know who people would appoint other than Marsch because otherwise it just sounds like you're moaning.  I can accept Marsch isn't perfect and have said as much but IMO he's the best we could realistically get.  By all means moan about it but if you don't have a better suggestion then it's a bit pointless.  We can all do it but doesn't achieve much of anything. 

For starters, there is an entire thread dedicated to discussing potential managers - which has lots of suggestions on who people would like.... Secondly, people discussing pro's and con's of JM isn't just "moaning" and they're fully entitled to do that without being required to provide a foolproof appointment as an alternative.

Surely goes without saying that there is no foolproof/perfect appointment -  we don't have infinite money and we're bottom of the league.

But we've just had to endure 3months of Jones - and the start of that period was accompanied with fans being criticised on here for raising any concerns over him... i.e. "moaning" in your book. Yet they were right and the people that told them to shut up could not have been more wrong.

Anyway, i don't want to argue about it since we largely agree on Marsch overall - if you read my post you'd see that i wasn't moaning, i was posting a link to a breakdown of his tactical style at Leeds - i don't think there is any real critisim in it and i also say that he is likely the best of the more likely names linked... I.e. what you've written above.... So if i'm "moaning" maybe you should stop "moaning" as well? 😘

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

For starters, there is an entire thread dedicated to discussing potential managers - which has lots of suggestions on who people would like.... Secondly, people discussing pro's and con's of JM isn't just "moaning" and they're fully entitled to do that without being required to provide a foolproof appointment as an alternative.

Surely goes without saying that there is no foolproof/perfect appointment -  we don't have infinite money and we're bottom of the league.

But we've just had to endure 3months of Jones - and the start of that period was accompanied with fans being criticised on here for raising any concerns over him... i.e. "moaning" in your book. Yet they were right and the people that told them to shut up could not have been more wrong.

Anyway, i don't want to argue about it since we largely agree on Marsch overall - if you read my post you'd see that i wasn't moaning, i was posting a link to a breakdown of his tactical style at Leeds - i don't think there is any real critisim in it and i also say that he is likely the best of the more likely names linked... I.e. what you've written above.... So if i'm "moaning" maybe you should stop "moaning" as well? 😘

Without wanting to get into an argument - I wasn't moaning just pointing out that if you don't like Marsch then what would be your alternative?  You were the one who took issue with it.  If you don't have a better idea (and it sounds like you don't) then fine - go ahead pointing out what everyone else already knows. 

Oh and I made no mention of Jones whatsoever - strawman argument mate.

• Like 1

Sorry but he doesn't do it for me.

His post match press conferences are nearly as bizarre and fantastical as Jones' I also don't think Leeds played any different style than what we're used to and they had the same problem as us in creating opportunities but not scoring.  A real absence of imagination or ambition in such an appointment

1 minute ago, Eric The Red said:

Sorry but he doesn't do it for me.

His post match press conferences are nearly as bizarre and fantastical as Jones' I also don't think Leeds played any different style than what we're used to and they had the same problem as us in creating opportunities but not scoring.  A real absence of imagination or ambition in such an appointment

You may be right ultimately, but his tactics are not identical to previous incarnations. For example his press style is “press to score” rather than just press for possession and “press as one” rather than the stretched out press we’ve seen with Ralph etc.