Theo Walcott

Edmonton Saint

Gets a lot of stick, but has arguably been our best forward in recent weeks (I know that’s not saying a lot😂)  I think I’d like to see Theo given a chance up front with Tall Paul this weekend. 

Maybe there is some magic in those old legs still 

Edited by Edmonton Saint
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

His movement is good, and you notice it a lot more after watching Armstrong and Mara bundle about beforehand.

He was impressive when he came on vs Chelsea, and our most threatening player yesterday albeit vs weak opposition. He's looked absolutely terrible for approximately 18 months so if we're looking at him to be an answer then that's a true representation of why we're going down. I'd sooner see him start than Moi though.

Just now, beatlesaint said:

He was actually pretty decent tbf

He was, looked a bit lightweight defending at times, but he put a helluva lot of effort in and made some good openings, think his experience was helping and he still has half decent pace which worried some of Leicester's pedestrian defenders. 

• Like 4

On 02/03/2023 at 14:41, Edmonton Saint said:

Gets a lot of stick, but has arguably been our best forward in recent weeks (I know that’s not saying a lot😂)  I think I’d like to see Theo given a chance up front with Tall Paul this weekend. 

Maybe there is some magic in those old legs still 

He's had more final 3rd quality than the rest of the wingers (/10s) or CFs combined recently... I don't have an issue with him getting minutes as it stands. Him, Edozie, sulemana, and Stu should be our 10's / wingers. Djenpo probably deserves some time as well. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

I don't undestand the disrespect sometimes shown to him.Like most older players he needs minutes on the pitch to get up to speed and after injury it was hard for him. He seems sharp now and is obviously a class player. His movement is what we need if we are going to score more goals. I don't expect him to play the full 90 minutes though.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If we go down I could see him actually being a really important player for us in the push back up.

I thought he might be getting too old but I see that he’s still 33. Only just though, he’ll be 34 on 16th March.

Edited by Whitey Grandad
Wrong date

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I thought he might be getting too old but I see that he’s still 33. Only just though, he’ll be 34 on 16th March.

It's been a long time since Saints have utilised players over 30 for their experience and know-how. It's about time we started again. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If we go down I could see him actually being a really important player for us in the push back up.

No thanks. He’ll be 34, has frequent injury problems and has been useless for 90% of the time he’s been here. I don’t care how well spoken he is, I can’t wait to see the back of him and half our squad.

20 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

is he not in his last year of contract? if he signs an extension it would have to be a big wage cut, believe he’s on around 75k

10 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

In no way should his contract get extended.

I thought when he signed his contract was to be part of the staff when he retires. idk whether that was just a rumour or not. so his contract will probably be extended in some way

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

No thanks. He’ll be 34, has frequent injury problems and has been useless for 90% of the time he’s been here. I don’t care how well spoken he is, I can’t wait to see the back of him and half our squad.

Which of our other 10's have offered more this season than Walcott has since he's been back in the team? On recent form, like him as a player or not, he's our best option in that position at the moment. 

14 minutes ago, egg said:

Which of our other 10's have offered more this season than Walcott has since he's been back in the team? On recent form, like him as a player or not, he's our best option in that position at the moment. 

I’m not arguing anything contrary to any of that. Walcott is one name on a long list of players I don’t want to see here after the summer, Championship or otherwise.

37 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

I thought when he signed his contract was to be part of the staff when he retires. idk whether that was just a rumour or not. so his contract will probably be extended in some way

Moving into a coaching position is different to extending a player contract.

He put in hard work yesterday for the team but still wouldn't say he was impressive. He's got nowhere near the pace he once had and he has never been a good finisher, as evidenced by his weak effort yesterday.

Just as we didn't extend an ageing past it Shane Long despite him still putting a shift in we shouldn't be doing so with Walcott.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Born on the day Desert Orchid won the Cheltenham Gold Cup, ( and my wife gave birth to our eldest son - still convinced they switched babies, despite being 200 miles apart ).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Born on the day Desert Orchid won the Cheltenham Gold Cup, ( and my wife gave birth to our eldest son - still convinced they switched babies, despite being 200 miles apart ).

I think you’d know if your wife gave birth to a horse.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Fortunately you are not the judge. Neither am I, but I would be happy to see Theo retained in any capacity within the Club, preferably with a playing role. Can't understand some people's hostility

you are happy forthe club to pay someone £1m+ for 9 months of being a good egg?

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

you are happy forthe club to pay someone £1m+ for 9 months of being a good egg?

I didn't mention any salary figure neither did I say anything about 'good egg'. your words, why put them into my mouth?