Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, Saint_lambden said:

Would it really though? 

After a poor season by his standards in the Premier League, he's now playing Championship football and at 28 has no re-sale value to West Ham. I'd say it's about fair, although of course it would have been nice to get more. If a significant chunk of that (if not all) is upfront - which is sounds like it is now compared to the previous deal they put on the table - it'll help us buy our replacement targets sooner. 

Yes it is a good deal for West Ham. Not every transfer in the premier league pivots around a re-sale value.

hopefully, this allows us to bring in a good replacement 

Edited by AlexLaw76

1 minute ago, Saint_lambden said:

Would it really though? 

After a poor season by his standards in the Premier League, he's now playing Championship football and at 28 has no re-sale value to West Ham. I'd say it's about fair, although of course it would have been nice to get more. If a significant chunk of that (if not all) is upfront - which is sounds like it is now compared to the previous deal they put on the table - it'll help us buy our replacement targets sooner. 

It is true that we don’t often see important detail on big transfers. So if we did get £30m in cash rather than instalments, it might not be the worst deal ever. And you do have a point about his age  and resale value. But it is hard to think of a better midfielder on a long existing contract that you could get for that sort of price.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

My mood is swinging back to questioning if the hierarchy know what they are doing again. Going into Saturday without Lavia and JWP is going to make things very difficult. 

Was slightly worrisome when Martin said that some players they expect to stay may go and vice versa. I understand noone can predict the future but surely we need to have a firm idea of what we are going to be dealing with? Ultimately it's within our power to tell certain players they need to give us another season. Other teams who have bounced back from the Championship have done that in the past.

I am starting to worry we will see a flood of late and "unexpected" departures and then be left scrambling. Next week or so is going to be crucial I think. A bad result against Norwich and more outgoings without incomings and fans could get restless...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

£32m including add ons does sound a bit on the low side to me, all things considered. I think he's a £40m player and we hold all the cards at the moment. I always thought he'd leave but... hmmmmmm.

Exactly. Which we would stop pissing around with add ons. One flat fee and that is it. 

• Like 1

Never did like that skate anyway 😂

Of course it’s disappointing but he was gone the moment we were relegated. Best to get it done while we still have time to get a replacement sorted. Hope he breaks Bechams record and then suffers back-to-back relegations.

The real silver lining imho (and I know some will disagree) is that we now have to change captain. As good a player and role model as he was, he was never the leader we needed. I hope we replace with a proper leader.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

£32m including add ons does sound a bit on the low side to me, all things considered. I think he's a £40m player and we hold all the cards at the moment. I always thought he'd leave but... hmmmmmm.

Maybe JWP has said he wants out if we've folded on the fee? Some reports had us turning down a bid higher than that...

• Like 1

Just now, James said:

Was slightly worrisome when Martin said that some players they expect to stay may go and vice versa. I understand noone can predict the future but surely we need to have a firm idea of what we are going to be dealing with? Ultimately it's within our power to tell certain players they need to give us another season. Other teams who have bounced back from the Championship have done that in the past.

I am starting to worry we will see a flood of late and "unexpected" departures and then be left scrambling. Next week or so is going to be crucial I think. A bad result against Norwich and more outgoings without incomings and fans could get restless...

Fan forum will be interesting if that last sentence happens.

It's quite obvious we need a striker and they don't come cheap so just go all in for someone who can get us goals in this league AND the Premier League, even if we have to pay mega money.

4 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Would it really though? 

Totally agree with this. Personally, I feel he’s over hyped on here. Without his free kicks, I don’t feel he’s the level some people seem to think he is. He is also NOT a leader. Since he’s been captain we’ve had really poor on field leadership. His comments at the end of the season were also baffling. He spoke in a way that suggested he had no hand in anything. Players in different groups etc. He’s a nice guy and I like him but he has his flaws. I know people won’t like me saying that but football is all about opinions. He loved Selles and his time as manager. Says a lot to me. He should’ve been cross. He’s not a born winner.

He is linked to the rot that’s set in over the last few years. I don’t want him as captain this year. 

I wish him well and it’s sad to see him go due to his long ties with the club but that’s heart over head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

So who replaces JWP?

Grimes (28), Hamer (26)? These players won't come cheap and can't see them being brought in quickly as Swansea/Coventry would need to secure replacements 

Personally I'd prefer Hamer, a better age and his contract expires next summer. Also if we do have any interest in Piroe I can't see Swansea selling us their best 2 players considering the Martin debacle.

• Like 2

Shame to see him go after such a long time. I really thought he would be one that would stay until he retires.

Did he really achieve anything with us, though? A few 'nearly' moments in finals, a half-hearted European tour... what else? Getting in to the England team? Not much of a feat considering some of the dross that have amassed caps in international friendlies for England.

For me it will be the highlight reels of his free kicks that will be my lasting memory of the chap. The Wolves free kick, blimey. Having said that, many of those free kicks were all but meaningless.

His leadership during a season which saw us relegated embarrassingly is the final line in his Southampton career epitaph. What a way to bow out, James.

• Haha 2

Well I'm really upset to see him go. Don't blame him going back into thr premier league, but had hoped he'd be a one-club player, having watched him develop from a youngster. He's a cracking player ---- box to box runner, amazing fitness and of course one of the very best set piece experts,  and crosser. 

Fee seems a little low too given his line contract. Should have been 40 million. 

• Like 8

If it is 30m guaranteed then I don't think it is the end of the world in terms of fee, I'd hoped it would be higher and maybe the actual deal will be it is very rare the real numbers get published these days and most really big fees seem to include plenty of clauses that will likely never be met.  I think realistically given the lack of competition for his signature and his age etc the best we were ever going to get was a deal up to mid £30m's which is why we were publicly asking for £40m 

• Like 1

The likes of Lavia, JWP, Tino were always bound to leave as they are good PL players and we have been relegated.

Can understand a bit of sadness about JWP but don't see why anyone is suprised.

Before the window Adams, KWP and ABK will also go, probably Sulemana too because teams higher in the foodchain will see a value in signing them, despite what a wally like Fareham James thinks.

The issue for Saints isn't and never has been selling them because it was always going to happen, and RM and JW have both pretty much said this.

The key is replacing them well. And the sooner they all go, the sooner they can be replaced.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, saints-til-i-die said:

Totally agree with this. Personally, I feel he’s over hyped on here. Without his free kicks, I don’t feel he’s the level some people seem to think he is. He is also NOT a leader. Since he’s been captain we’ve had really poor.

Tadic, Romeu ad infintum. As soon as we sell them they were never really any good were they.

Utter Bollox.

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

The likes of Lavia, JWP, Tino were always bound to leave as they are good PL players and we have been relegated.

Can understand a bit of sadness about JWP but don't see why anyone is suprised.

Before the window Adams, KWP and ABK will also go, probably Sulemana too because teams higher in the foodchain will see a value in signing them, despite what a wally like Fareham James thinks.

The issue for Saints isn't and never has been selling them because it was always going to happen, and RM and JW have both pretty much said this.

The key is replacing them well. And the sooner they all go, the sooner they can be replaced.

Yep, agree with this.  Only problem is that even with them leaving we've still got a pretty big squad - need to move on a lot of those who played last night as well as the first team players you mentioned.

Wilcox and RM know all this though and hopefully have several plans in place.

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

I'm not sure that's the case, a bit of despondency, yes,  and a realisation that we have a lot that needs sorting in this transfer window if we are to succeed this season. 

Like defenders that can defend set pieces and a CF to put the ball in the net. Both are still missing.

• Like 2

I think £30 million is a reasonable deal if the payments are more upfront. JWP is a very good midfielder and his set piece ability is second to none but he’s not the midfield messiah some make him out to be. He has been a great servant to the club though and a model professional. 
My greater concern is clearing out the likes of Lyanco, McCarthy, Djenepo, and some of the other deadwood holding our rebuild up. Let RM and JW get their players in for their system and then see where we are at. 

• Like 3