Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

20 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

TBH it’s not like we don’t ever go long. Vs Wednesday Stephens quite a few times looked for a quick ball over the top from a goal kick. After a bunch of mindless passing, it can cause quite a shock to suddenly change it up and go long. 

If we sign Grimes we will go long at times because that is one of his main attributes - he was pinging plenty of long balls under RM with pinpoint accuracy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Personally i'm wondering if Piroe is just wants to see out his contract and then move abroad like (Gyorkeres and Bereton-Diaz).

But yeah that feedback doesn't fill me with joy if we are in for him.

I saw him play 20 times last season. He might not be the quickest but he’s a genuine honest to god goal scorer. He scores the chances Che and Arma miss. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, New Forest Pony said:

I saw him play 20 times last season. He might not be the quickest but he’s a genuine honest to god goal scorer. He scores the chances Che and Arma miss. 

I'm not sure pace is that important in the system we play. 

• Like 5

Aside from YouTube videos and comments from Swansea fans I don't know much about Piroe (so pretty much the same as most here).  Seems like he doesn't have a great deal of pace but loads of good strikers don't have an abundance of pace.  Might not even be an issue if we're dominating possession and teams are sitting back and hopefully we've still got players like Tella, Sulemana and Sam AA to give us a bit of pace if we need it.  Edozie isn't slow either.  What pretty much all Swansea fans agree on is that he's clinical and that's good enough for me.

He's scored 20 goals in each of his last two seasons under Martin and that's about as much guaranteed goals as you can get especially in the championship.  There might be better options out there and fair play if we find them but at the moment I'd take Piroe every day.

Edited by revolution saint
  • Like 7

30 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yep. Having no pace/acceleration worries me a bit. That is why Prem sides are not signing him. He's not some amazing talent. He's a Rasiak type.

Ive wondered for a while if he is genuinely any better than Che.. I appreciate Che isn’t everyones cup of tea, but he knows the squad, has had a full pre season and is realistically a good striker at this level

Piroe however, also knows the system, knows RM and has scored plenty of goals in previous seasons

For me.. Piroe is there as an option if we lose Che, but not necessarily instead of.. I know Che is a gamble.. but any signing is really

FWIW Im not hugely concerned regarding pace at this level, 90% of the sides are going to be camped on the edge of their box anyway… its largely why I doubt AA will be able to use his main weapon effectively 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ive wondered for a while if he is genuinely any better than Che.. I appreciate Che isn’t everyones cup of tea, but he knows the squad, has had a full pre season and is realistically a good striker at this level

Piroe however, also knows the system, knows RM and has scored plenty of goals in previous seasons

For me.. Piroe is there as an option if we lose Che, but not necessarily instead of.. I know Che is a gamble.. but any signing is really

FWIW Im not hugely concerned regarding pace at this level, 90% of the sides are going to be camped on the edge of their box anyway… its largely why I doubt AA will be able to use his main weapon effectively 

You may well have a point about AA not being able to use his pace effectively but he did use it pretty well the last time he played at this level. Maybe tactics have changed?

1 minute ago, saintant said:

You may well have a point about AA not being able to use his pace effectively but he did use it pretty well the last time he played at this level. Maybe tactics have changed?

I have absolutely no idea how they played but he was at Blackburn, under Mowbray who recently plays a sort if counter game, he plays a high press then gets direct balls up the pitch, so that would suit him, finding half spaces etc behind a retreating back 4 OR catching a back four out of possession

We don’t play to his strengths in that regard, favouring a much slower paced tika taka style

Of course Im guessing mowbrays tactical philosophies havnt changed

2 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Wonder if we’ll agree a loan at the same time like we did with West Ham 🤔

I guess there might be a fringe player who Poch would be happy to loan us to aid his development. Not heard anything mentioned yet though.

• Like 2

Bearing in mind Chelsea's first game is against Liverpool this weekend, if they do pick up Caicedo and Lavia, even if neither plays in that game, the whole psychological ramifications of "we're richer than you" will surely damage the Liverpool mindset for this weekend. I don't like Chelsea, but would rather see Lavia develop under Poch than under Klippity and will make Liverpool's approaches for him even more laughable. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, saintant said:

I guess there might be a fringe player who Poch would be happy to loan us to aid his development. Not heard anything mentioned yet though.

I looked through and the only ones that caught my eye really are Chalobah, Andrey Santos or Chukwuemeka… or maybe Broja but.. injured

4 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

if true then Liverpool have been well and truly played 😂

The RAWK forum is a wonderful read at the moment. Their main theory appears to be Chelsea are buying both players in order to prevent their rivals competing. And that shouldn’t be allowed and it’s so unfair blah de blah de blah

Edited by Golac's Cunning Stunts
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

The RAWK forum is a wonderful read at the moment. Their main theory appears to be Chelsea are buying both players in order to prevent their rivals competing. And that shouldn’t be allowed and it’s so unfair blah de blah de blah

Which thread is it in? I just glanced at the main board and there aren't too many posts on it there

4 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Always the victims 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I personally want to keep Che & sign piroe 

I like Che. He works hard for the team and has a good attitude. He can definitely do a great job in the championship. 

Mara and AA are the two that don’t have anything about them at all IMO 

• Like 7

£55m feels like we've held out well on this one, he is one of the best young DM's in the world. 

Given that there is a £40m re-sale which kicks in next summer, this makes sense. Hopefully a fair chunk up front.

£30m for JWP, £32m for Tino and £50m for Lavia - over £100m on just those 3. We've also sold Salisu for £15m

Orsic, DCC, Diallo, Ely, Theo off the wage bill. 

I'd argue that there has never, ever been a more cash rich team in the Championship. We simply have to make this work, we have no excuses.

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

£55m feels like we've held out well on this one, he is one of the best young DM's in the world. 

Given that there is a £40m re-sale which kicks in next summer, this makes sense. Hopefully a fair chunk up front.

£30m for JWP, £32m for Tino and £50m for Lavia - over £100m on just those 3. We've also sold Salisu for £15m

I'd argue that there has never, ever been a more cash rich team in the Championship. We simply have to make this work, we have no excuses.

All good on the surface if we can continue to service the debt and buy wisely, no more Tall Paul's, Orsic's and a host of others going back in recent times.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This I agree with, I know Ive been banging the SR positive drum for a while, but I have genuinely believed what I was told regarding their want to get us promoted

I 100% agree with this sentiment though.. we have a decent core of players here, a manager whose style should work in the Champ and, as you say, an absolute warchest comparitive to the division

We can’t have any excuses but to be leading the chase to some degree this year

• Like 1

Makes you wonder if the changes in the agreement with Tino when he went to Newcastle (apparently they reduced there %)l were linked to this game of cards with Liverpool. If so I think it is brilliant.. and Liverpool deserve a bit of there own medicine having there pants pulled down 

Edited by Yorkshire Saint
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

All good on the surface if we can continue to service the debt and buy wisely, no more Tall Paul's, Orsic's and a host of others going back in recent times.

Absolutely, the scouting has to be totally on point. We can't waste this opportunity like we pissed the VVD fortune up the wall.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, saintant said:

They must have a GK or two that are surplus to their needs.

Bettinelli a couple of years ago might have been ideal. Problem is though he probably hasn’t played at any level for for a while. 

42 minutes ago, ecurnew02 said:

Not saying I’d want him but Bashir Humphreys would fit the bill I think for a loan from Chelsea 

The family would have liked him to come to us, met both his dad & sister last week and we we’re talking about it. His old man told me “it looks like he’s going to a welsh club on loan”.