Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

The problem is that if we buy before we sell, deals like the Lyanco one for instance could fall through, and we could end up with a bloated squad, and we wouldn't want that would we? I said this would be  hard month for the fans and the manager. We have to get new players and then we have to get them to play together, not easy

1 minute ago, Miltonaggro said:

Lord D called this the other day in the aftermath of the fans forum when Wilcox was attracting universal praise, the real test for our new look management group is going to be targeting and attracting incoming players of the right calibre.  We will find out shortly.  

All Wilcox has managed to do is shift the players who PL clubs are interested in - I don't quite get the praise at the minute, if I'm honest. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Wow. I was pretty damn sure this one would happen - despite it not really being an SR type signing.

Presumably we're not viewing Charles and Downes (assuming he signs) as the only DM options? Must be someone else lined up.

yeah, Issac Hayden.. Yipeee

OK so potentially: 

Tino 

ABK 

KWP 

Sulemana 

JWP 

Lavia 

Tella 

Adams 

All gone or going with no replacements as yet. That's essentially every single one of our best players. No wonder Martin has been bigging up both Armstrongs and Stephens so much - they're going to be the only ones left! I think every saints fans is realistic about having to sell players but as I said at the start of the summer, losing this amount of players in one window is unprecedented and certainly not having replaced any of them yet is concerning. I just can't see how we are going to fashion a team to compete for the league with what's left and a bunch of new players who haven't had a preseason. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Tom & Gerry said:

The problem is that if we buy before we sell, deals like the Lyanco one for instance could fall through, and we could end up with a bloated squad, and we wouldn't want that would we? I said this would be  hard month for the fans and the manager. We have to get new players and then we have to get them to play together, not easy

We dont have a bloated squad, ffs.

We have already moved on...

Willy, Salisu, AMN, Theo, Mo, Orsic, JwP, Lavia, DCC, Tino...with more to follow.  That does not include fringe players that have also gone and those certain to leave

The above alone is massive money (a record already for a receiving Championship club) and massive savings in wages.

This is getting daft now.

• Like 1

Posters on here need to realise that it is not normal practice for a relegated team to lose this volume of their best players in one window. Some people are making comments suggesting that it's just what happens to a team when you go down. Some players will leave of course but I don't think anythibg like this has been done before outside of asset stripping or administration. 

• Like 2

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Posters on here need to realise that it is not normal practice for a relegated team to lose this volume of their best players in one window. Some people are making comments suggesting that it's just what happens to a team when you go down. Some players will leave of course but I don't think anythibg like this has been done before outside of asset stripping or administration. 

Nope. Fulham went down and kept Mitrovic, who scored a ridiculous amount of goals. Leicester this year are hardly shipping out almost their entire 1st team.

The Sports Republic cheerleaders will probably tell us otherwise

1 minute ago, Dman said:

All Wilcox has managed to do is shift the players who PL clubs are interested in - I don't quite get the praise at the minute, if I'm honest. 

Poundstretcher and Persil would be hard pressed to shift some of the ingrained shite.  I like the cut of Wilcox's jib and what I've heard about Mowbray's air miles, but only half of the job accomplished thus far.  This was always going to be a challenging window but it has to close with us strengthened right through the spine to be competitive and avoiding another January debacle.  I'm keeping the faith for now.   

23 minutes ago, Dman said:

I know @Smirking_Saint and I disagree on this front, but this is exactly the reason why I would have compromised on the cost of a few players early on in the window, so that we had a settled (to a degree) side by now. 

Ultimately that extra £5m we held out for on JWP or £5m for Tella is no good when we have a week to replace them, by which point targets have moved on. 

Tino / Aarons was a fantastic example of that. 

At the time I agreed with the stance and, tbh, I still do

our negotiations have allowed us to get;

58 instead of 35 for Lavia

35 + Downes instead of 25/30 for JWP

40 instead of 30 for Tino

Now.. the club knew Lavia was off and got Charles in early.. we agreed a fee for JWP that included a replacement (probably)

The only real first 11 signing we havn’t replaced straight away was Salisu and Ive agreed, and stated, we are desperately short at CB and that needs to be sorted

Im not really sure where else expediting our sales would have helped ?

Not sure what our resolve was around Aarons.. not like we’ve tried to replace Tino tbh.. should KWP leave and we get no adequate replacement my opinion will change but you can’t sell someone nobody is in for

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The last time anything like this happened to us was in 2014. We were not relegated that year, indeed, we went on to have our best top flight season since the start of the Premier League.

The next two weeks are critical to how this season goes, the money needs to be reinvested that's clear, but i'm not losing my rag with it yet. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Last few weeks we've heard several times that we have a number of targets 'patiently waiting' like coiled springs - guess we are about to see how that works out.  

One of them has just signed a deal with his current club another went to someone else, they won’t wait forever….

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Surely there are a few incomings that are imminent. Obviously Downes is one. But we need to stand firm in my opinion and have to keep hold of Che and Tella. 

Is Downes coming though? I'm not sure I buy the food poisoning line. Feels more like we've been gazumped and he's been tapped up by a Prem club. Rather than come clean I think the food poisoning story has been concocted by his agent and, after the weekend when a bit of the dust has settled, we'll suddenly learn that a Prem side needs him and a deal has been done. Hopefully though they're still trying to prise him off the pan but, either way, it's beginning to stink.

2 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

The last time anything like this happened to us was in 2014. We were not relegated that year, indeed, we went on to have our best top flight season since the start of the Premier League.

The next two weeks are critical to how this season goes, the money needs to be reinvested that's clear, but i'm not losing my rag with it yet. 

In 2014 we had almost an entirely new team in place before the start of the season. We didn't continue to sell the first team once the season had started and then attempt to rebuild it in two weeks whilst still playing games.

Surely we have to draw the line somewhere? I'm sure every time a team comes down players want out but teams that have successfully returned quickly have drawn the line and kept players who can get them out of the league. 

• Like 2

Russ seemed really relaxed when asked about incomings during the Plymouth presser. Said there are 1 or 2 that will be in very soon (We know one of them is Downes obviously) and that there is a lot more that they are working on.

I think there's a lot more going on that we aren't privvy to as seemed to be the case with Charles and Manning being completed quite quickly after any sniff about them got leaked and I think we can only really judge the window when it's closed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

True, but that year we had Koeman in charge who had considerably more pulling power, plus I'd argue a more extensive personal network to draw on to find quality replacements. Hence players coming in like Pelle, Tadic, Alderweireld and Mane to more than adequately replace the ones who went. Plus we were in the Prem and so a much more attractive proposition for good players to join. We have a lot of money for this league now, but whether SR/ Wilcox/ Martin can spend it wisely is a complete unknown at this point. 

It could be said we've sold Smallbone as he's out for months. This is so typical and many were naive to believe that after splashing 150m last season that the owners would not want to get a lot back in. As i've said numerous times that the owner is not a cash rich billionaire who can afford to slash out. Very wealthy yes, but not moneybags

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

True, but that year we had Koeman in charge who had considerably more pulling power, plus I'd argue a more extensive personal network to draw on to find quality replacements. Hence players coming in like Pelle, Tadic, Alderweireld and Mane to more than adequately replace the ones who went. Plus we were in the Prem and so a much more attractive proposition for good players to join. We have a lot of money for this league now, but whether SR/ Wilcox/ Martin can spend it wisely is a complete unknown at this point. 

This always surprised me that RH with his German connection never brought in talent he would have known of.

I know I was moaning earlier about the lack of incomings, but Matt Grimes isn't all that. A 28 year old with 4 Premier League matches to his name for a relegated Swansea team. He's a middle of the road Championship player, never been named their player of the year and never been named in the Championship team of the year. He was named in the 2014-15 League Two team of the year, though. I know what level we're playing at now, but Downes is the better prospect, even Isaac Hayden, the same age as Grimes has a far superior CV. If we were to get promoted this season, Grimes would be one of the first that needs upgrading on. Manning was Swansea's player of the year last season and his first few appearances haven't been without fault.

23 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Indeed.

Fulham kept Mitrovic to break Lambert's record, Sheffield United kept Sander Berge, Watford kept Sarr and Pedro, Bournemouth kept Solanke (bagged 29, so you wouldn't put that past Adams) and Danjuma, Norwich kept Pukki, Aarons and Buendia (for one more season)... Loads of examples from recent seasons. Think it needs to be a case of saying we've sold the big three for a lot of money, that'll keep us ticking over. Salisu's also helped add funds. ABK and Sulemana you'd expect will also be in that help to add funds bracket because they simply don't want to be here, but everyone else who's worth anything needs to stay, see if they can get us back to the Premier League, increase their reputations and then in a year we'll re-evaluate ala Schneiderlin.

Edited by HarvSFC
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, OldNick said:

It could be said we've sold Smallbone as he's out for months. This is so typical and many were naive to believe that after splashing 150m last season that the owners would not want to get a lot back in. As i've said numerous times that the owner is not a cash rich billionaire who can afford to slash out. Very wealthy yes, but not moneybags

Thought RM said the injury to Smallbone is nowhere near as bad as first feared. He's ruled him out for this weekend but intimated he'll be back sooner rather than later so I wouldn't expect that to run into months.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Fulham kept Mitrovic to break Lambert's record, Sheffield United kept Sander Berge, Watford kept Sarr and Pedro, Bournemouth kept Solanke (bagged 29, so you wouldn't put that past Adams) and Danjuma, Norwich kept Pukki, Aarons and Buendia (for one more season)... Loads of examples from recent seasons. Think it needs to be a case of saying we've sold the big three for a lot of money, that'll keep us ticking over. Salisu's also helped add funds. ABK and Sulemana you'd expect will also be in that help to add funds bracket because they simply don't want to be here, but everyone else needs to stay, see if they can get us back to the Premier League, increase their reputations and then in a year we'll re-evaluate ala Schneiderlin.

Exactly right. But no, we can't possibly aspire to do that, it seems.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OldNick said:

We have taken in what 120m now ok not cash are we only club that structure deals and pay up front?

Tella,Che and Sully will take that over £150m and 10.5 spent. There is added TV money , sponsors, more ST sold , the alleged 40% cut.

I had high hopes for this lot maybe just an over reaction from Downes fiasco-something stinks and not just his diarrhoea here.

Our squad is very thin now and despite what Martin says our spine looks very very weak.

Interesting 2 week roller coaster and now seems we are on dip and down

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, OldNick said:

You haven’t been keeping up. RM said this morning Smallbone is only definitely out for tomorrow’s game and after that he could be back. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Nah.. according to OkdNick injured players are automatically sold

If a player is due to be out for months as was first stated, it is as good as sold to add to our many outgoing transfers. Of course he would be back long term but not when you are going for promotion can you afford to lose a player who may well be important. Therefore as good as gone.

1 minute ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

You haven’t been keeping up. RM said this morning Smallbone is only definitely out for tomorrow’s game and after that he could be back. 

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Ah sadly I hadnt seen that and so good news. I saw a few days ago that it was a longterm injury 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

If a player is due to be out for months as was first stated, it is as good as sold to add to our many outgoing transfers. Of course he would be back long term but not when you are going for promotion can you afford to lose a player who may well be important. Therefore as good as gone.

It was never stated though. Some random bloke on twitter claimed it and everyone took it as true because he had apparently also broken the 'news' that Russel Martin was going to sign a former Russel Martin player, who was out of contract.

24 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Would be the work of a genius to sell of these players

Indeed but looks like that’s where we are heading 

my theory is they gambled in January spent ( wasted) a lot and thought if it’s goes wrong and we go down we will just sell the best players in the summer and recoup the outlay so there was little financial downside. Obviously in footballing terms it’s not great 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Martin said this morning Smallbone is not long term

• Like 2

I don't think it's time to shit the bed just yet. We knew we had to trim the squad before we could sign players. 

As of today we still have a first team of 26 players.... 

RM said we need another CM on top of Downes, other than that we need to shift a CB to make room there, and shift a striker to make room there. 

I think now when we sell anyone we will see the strengthening happen. RM also said this would run right until the end of the window and the team would look very different in Sept. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

One of them has just signed a deal with his current club another went to someone else, they won’t wait forever….

I cannot see Grimes signing a new contract if he was in the wings waiting for us unless he was told we were not interested. Surely he could have waited and signed a new contract in a few weeks time when no one else had come in for him?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saints4Prem said:

I cannot see Grimes signing a new contract if he was in the wings waiting for us unless he was told we were not interested. Surely he could have waited and signed a new contract in a few weeks time when no one else had come in for him?

That's pretty much my view.  I think Martin has different targets, or been talked into having different targets.

4 minutes ago, Saints4Prem said:

Yeh! I feel he was second choice to Downes. It feels too much of a coincidence that we are getting Downes and he's now signed up to Swansea