Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

We've won two and drawn one, great start to the season, selling out home and away (2 tickets left in the family centre last time I looked, which will no doubt go!) but not enough to keep some of our week-kneed drama queens at bay. 

Ralph Fastenbüttl sums it up excellently, if we get to September and go on a losing run and playing poorly then vent your spleen, but keep your powder dry (and your bed sheets) and enjoy the moment. too many grizzling over what 'might' happen. 

• Like 9

As disappointing as all this is, after a good night's sleep I think a comfortable win today will make everything seem better. I hope we have enough attacking wise today with Tella and Adams seemingly out the door. Getting the Adams replacement right is a must and then we need to find some more goals from somewhere. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

As disappointing as all this is, after a good night's sleep I think a comfortable win today will make everything seem better. I hope we have enough attacking wise today with Tella and Adams seemingly out the door. Getting the Adams replacement right is a must and then we need to find some more goals from somewhere. 

I agree with this. With SAA and Fraser, along with the others, you'd hope the wide areas are sorted (Sully will go if someone flashes their leg at him).

But a striker, who will win us games/get 20+ goals is vital

Having slept on it, it’s still really disappointing if he does chose to leave. To some extent can’t blame him.

I would have expected us to be clearing some of the deadwood out now (Djenepo, Lyanco, Onuachu etc), but to have starting eleven players rumoured to be on the way out with a week or so left of the window, and after those same players have had a bright start to the season is disappointing.

The bloated squad is thinning out but we need to add players of equal quality.

My concern is that if someone like Adams leaves you need a replacement on par that can also hit the ground running.
Earlier in the window I think I said if one of Tella or Sulemana left then the other should stay, Sulemana has done it at Premier League level, it’s just nursing him back through injury.

All that said, the fact Russell Martin is pretty relaxed about it all makes me feel a lot more relaxed, and the fans should feel the same. 
There is absolutely no point in getting worked up until after the window shuts and only if the squad is weaker.

• Like 2

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

I agree with this. With SAA and Fraser, along with the others, you'd hope the wide areas are sorted (Sully will go if someone flashes their leg at him).

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during Piroe negotiations. Surely, surely we made out interest clear? Did he just choose Leeds which is a bit odd or did we mess up jn some way? Piroe to saints just made so much sense. 

• Like 2

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during Piroe negotiations. Surely, surely we made out interest clear? Did he just choose Leeds which is a bit odd or did we mess up jn some way? Piroe to saints just made so much sense. 

Leeds are arguably a bigger club. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You just have to hope that SR have an ace up their sleeve.

I trust Jason Wilcox a lot more than Rasmus Ankersen. 😂

6 hours ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

There is absolutely no reason to be anything other than relaxed about the situation. SR's recruitment policy is pretty clear to understand from what's transpired thus far:

1. They will happily pay out for young, developing talent who they believe will grow in value and develop professionally from Championship level to Premier League level e.g. Shea.
  2. They clearly have a preference to loan in talent that should be well equipped for the Championship push, but may not be as useful beyond that e.g. Holgate.

Both of which seem entirely logical. And this also means that we're quite sensibly not going to be blowing the extraordinary piles of cash we've accumulated in this window. the presumption will be that those funds will be available if and when promotion eventually occurs.

As for the outgoings, I don't understand which of them have surprised people? And I'm all for getting rid of players who want out.

• Lavia, JWP, Tino - too good for the Championship, were always going to leave
  • Orsic, DCC, Ely, Diallo - bloated squad needs trimming, off you go
  • Tella - unsurprisingly quite clearly wanted out, as I would had I have been shipped out to the Championship last season while the likes of Djenepo were being rewarded with new contracts. The lad has earned his Germany move. It's a shame for him that Burnley couldn't/wouldn't match our valuation as he's earned a stab at the Prem. Good luck to him.
  • Che - very obviously wants out, or else he'd have signed that contract. And honestly, he's not good enough in the Prem so I'm very happy for us to part ways. Yep, he'd have done well for us in the Championship, but players of that level are not rare. He's very replaceable.

I also don't buy into the narrative that our business thus far has been universally uninspiring.

• Shea - has already put in a MotM performance. Looks legit.
  • Downes - very well equipped for this league and a solid signing.
  • Fraser, Holgate - I'm not sure why folk are so down on these two. Lots of Prem experience and Fraser has enjoyed long spells of looking very sharp at the top level. No reason at all to suspect they won't excel in the Champ.
  • Manning - not exciting or inspiring, but clearly the manager trusts and believes in him.
  • Lumley - OK, I've got nothing here. I still think the keeper situation is a concern, though I'm very prepared to back Baz and hope he comes good. I honestly think he's showing the early signs of finally settling and imposing himself a little.
  • Plus, let's not forget about Amo-Ameyaw, who looks fucking lightning!
  • AND we've got the likes of Ballard and Doyle waiting in the wings and getting better and better. I reckon there's a good chance Ballard in particular starts to push through a little bit this season.
  • Wood, too, looks like a great signing if we can get that over the line.

All of which just leaves potential concerns about up front. Che is going to leave - at least, the odds heavily favour it. As I said above, if he stayed I'm convinced he'd have a strong 20+ season for us, but his skills are certainly not at a level that cannot be replaced either by another Fraser/Holgate type loan or a £10-15m signing.

Plus, look at the attacking talent we currently have in the squad:

• Armstrong is finally gonna score some goals for us now he's not playing with the big boys
  • I'm convinced Amo-Ameyaw is gonna be big
  • Alcaraz looks like he's committed and could tear up this league
  • It also looks entirely possible that Sulemana could stay, which would be a good and potentially exciting surprise
  • I think Fraser will be a goal threat at this level
  • Ballard is an exciting wild card imo
  • And we can add whoever comes in to replace Che to the pot, too

Even if we go on to sell KWP and ABK (and hopefully get shot of Tall Paul, Lyanco, Djenepo and perhaps even Mara?) that still leaves us with a solid spine - the likes of Smallbone, Bednarek and the Armstrongs should be strong in this League, even if unspectacular. We have to remember that we are only a matter of weeks into the RM and JW era. The scale of the turnaround needed at this club cannot possibly happen overnight, or in a single window.

You’re being very, very kind on the club here. 

I don’t see how selling our prime goal scorers weeks into the season can be viewed as anything other than a cynical cash grab. 

This feels like when Nathan Jones was appointed, loads of people got called “bed wetters” for saying how he isn’t up to it. No - it’s just fucking obviously a stupid idea. 

Now people are being called “bed wetters” for pointing out that we’ve (yet AGAIN) had a horrific transfer window under SR. 

I agree that the central midfielders they’ve brought in are good. But we had fantastic central midfielders last season and we were still shit. Now we are in exactly the same boat. 

At least we have a better manager this time. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Disagree completely. Might be different if sulemana stays but if not our wide area is very weak. A veteran who hasn’t played well since18/19 & 1 kid who looks like he has no end product and 1 kid with virtually no experience who has shown a flash of promise in a couple of late cameos.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Just hope it’s not another over ambitious Gakpo ( or Ramos?), that they’re ultimately unable to deliver. 

• Like 3

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Disagree completely. Might be different if sulemana stays but if not our wide area is very weak. A veteran who hasn’t played well since18/19 & 1 kid who looks like he has no end product and 1 kid with virtually no experience who has shown a flash of promise in a couple of late cameos.

I am trying to get with the script.

SR are amazing owners and we have nothing to worry about, this is all part of some bigger plan. The previous transfer windows under their ownership and been both smart and fruitful.

• Haha 1

Just now, Badger said:

Just hope it’s not another over ambitious Gakpo ( or Ramos?), that they’re ultimately unable to deliver. 

Jason Wilcox and Russell Martin as a team gives me more hope than Rasmus Ankersen getting plays for the manager.

RA just went on a tick box exercise without knowing anything about the player or how they’d integrate with the squad. 
I can imagine RA looking down the parameters of football manager for ST>over 6”4”>player is interested - and finding Onuachu that way, for example.

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I think we will definitely replace Adams with a striker. The point is, that striker has to hit the ground running and be as good or better than Adams if we are to have a chance of promotion. It's such a big risk and that's before we get to losing Tella as well. It's all so disappointing. 

There is always the possibility that Che would stop “running” he’s got form in that respect with a history of goal bursts and long lean spells. We still have Charlie and both Armstrongs who chip in with goals, possibly others who haven’t been involved yet. I maintain if they want to go and have value let them go, Che has wanted out for agree and I doubt Tella ever wanted to come back.

It’s championship, we have a seriously diminished status, it sucks, but I do believe we have a plan.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

That is now the worry. It's not enough to say we tried. We need to go all in on the Adams replacement if we want a chance of a successful season. 

Quite clearly the club isn't the financial mess that some perceive it to be in if Smallbone has signed a new contract. 

No doubt we would have sold him if we were that desperate for cash.

With him, Downes, Alcaraz and Charles we will surely have the best midfield options in the league.

Les Reed was right, he just came out with that statement 7 years too early.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Surely it comes down to the player which club he prefers to join, not fans hopes. I would have been disappointed if we’d not tried to sign him but we did but it didn’t work out.

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Quite clearly the club isn't the financial mess that some perceive it to be in if Smallbone has signed a new contract. 

No doubt we would have sold him if we were that desperate for cash.

With him, Downes, Alcaraz and Charles we will surely have the best midfield options in the league.

Les Reed was right, he just came out with that statement 7 years too early.

Alex Law brings up that it is every week. 😂

It clearly never has been, because of our bloated squad and the fact we had talented players that were just shoddily managed meant we had cash rich assets we could sell to balance the books - which has happened.

And even then I doubt we had to sell all of them this season.

• Like 1

Just now, modern matron said:

Surely it comes down to the player which club he prefers to join, not fans hopes. I would have been disappointed if we’d not tried to sign him but we did but it didn’t work out.

Also likely to come down to how much money he was offered. 

He might have preferred to come here but if Leeds were willing to pay £10k a week more then it's a no brainer.

The quotes about Leeds trying harder smack of them offering more cash, or a longer contract or whatever.

• Like 2

With his record, and only one year left on his deal, the fact Piroe went to Leeds without much fuss maybe suggests people don’t think he’s worth a punt in the top league. In which case, maybe we weren’t that bothered either?  At £12mil he’d have been a steal if people thought he was good enough for the Prem. As mentioned earlier, we don’t seem to be paying for players that we don’t fancy to be worth having in the PL, given the only money we’ve spent is on Shea Charles, who I guess we’re hoping is another Lavia type purchase. 

There’s a week left, let’s see how it plays out.

• Like 2

What we desperately need to do now is clear out Lyanco, Djenepo and Onuachu.

None of them are in the managers plans so get rid, even if on loan. This will stop the need for 2 training groups and allow them to bring the better youngsters into the main group at times.

Is there anyone else clogging up the squad that I have forgotten?

5 minutes ago, modern matron said:

Why preferred them would be interesting to know. Is it perceived higher ambition or higher wages or something else

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

None of them are in the managers plans so get rid, even if on loan. This will stop the need for 2 training groups and allow them to bring the better youngsters into the main group at times.

Bree, one of Perraud/Larios.

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Potentially Bree, Mara, and one of the LBs (as Baird said above) for me! 

5 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Larios and Mara?

20 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Also likely to come down to how much money he was offered. 

He might have preferred to come here but if Leeds were willing to pay £10k a week more then it's a no brainer.

The quotes about Leeds trying harder smack of them offering more cash, or a longer contract or whatever.

Given he's played under RM before, I get the impression we didn't want him.

And ultimately, Che is very replaceable; we're just leaving it a little late to find one. Maybe if he plays today, he is staying after all........

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I’d add Aribo, Mara, Bree, Perraud and Sulemana to that list,

I don’t get all the hype around Sulemana. He’s scored 5 goals in 2 years at Rennes in Ligue 1 and 2 goals in 18 appearances for us.

We massively overpaid for him. From what I have seen of him he’s another Djenepo - maybe with a bit more pace but smaller - but still with no end product. He will score the odd wonder goal and make some amazing runs but mostly there will be no end product with no pass or cross or no shot on target.  Also don’t really see how he fits Martin’s pass move and pass football.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Players don’t really buy into the bigger club bullshit unless they’re a fan

I think its more of a case that Leeds wanted him and had space for him to start, they pushed the negotiations through, maybe they offered more wages ? Who knows

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Given he's played under RM before, I get the impression we didn't want him.

And ultimately, Che is very replaceable; we're just leaving it a little late to find one. Maybe if he plays today, he is staying after all........

There's still a week left for someone to meet our valuation. Very plausible that a lower half Prem team (Palace, Bournemouth, Fulham) will sign him, possibly even on the last day. 

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

Well that puts those noises to bed thankfully

Id say Downes, Alcaraz, Charles, Smallbone is the best midfield in this league

We just need to sort the front 3

My guess is Woods and a kwp replacement in if it isn't Holgate, then concentrate on the attack. Ideally top quality replacements for both Tella and Adams. 

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

Have you heard anything regarding a striker?

As for your comment about 'bigger clubs'...totally agree It reminds me of pundits gnashing their teeth because Lavia dared to chose Chelsea over Liverpool. Forgetting that Chelsea have been waaaaay more successful (even bigger) over the last 20 years than Liverpool. What does it matter to a 20-odd year old that Liverpool (or any club) were great in the 70s/80s...

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Agree. We are not too far away from having a very good squad for this level.

31 minutes ago, The Cat said:

McCarthy...

11 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I’d add Aribo, Mara, Bree, Perraud and Sulemana to that list,

I don’t get all the hype around Sulemana. He’s scored 5 goals in 2 years at Rennes in Ligue 1 and 2 goals in 18 appearances for us.

We massively overpaid for him. From what I have seen of him he’s another Djenepo - maybe with a bit more pace but smaller - but still with no end product. He will score the odd wonder goal and make some amazing runs but mostly there will be no end product with no pass or cross or no shot on target.  Also don’t really see how he fits Martin’s pass move and pass football.

Not sure about Aribo as Martin has praised him previously after coming on as sub.

Perraud will likely leave. As poor as Bree was against Gillingham he could be worth keeping at least until January as back up depending on what happens to KWP.

Mara, yes I forgot him. Only worth keeping in case we draw Man City in the cup so he can carry on his weird scoring record against them!

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

My guess is Woods and a kwp replacement in if it isn't Holgate, then concentrate on the attack. Ideally top quality replacements for both Tella and Adams. 

Be interesting to see what happens with KWP, but he’s still here for now

Woods and Holgate are good options

Fraser I think will surprise a few, he’s a good player at this level, or atleast should be, I do think we’ll replace Tella

• Like 1

I don’t see how we will get a better Championship striker than Adams or Piroe with a record of c20 goals in a season.

It looks like Adams is off and we missed out on Piroe who was his most obvious replacement.  

We also missed out on Cameron Archer and Chuba Akpom and we’ve just let Tella go.

We all seem to have given up on Mara  - and I have a feeling he will be heading back to France sooner rather than later.

We’ve been linked with Duk from Aberdeen who scored 16 goals in the Scottish Premier League - so League 1 level in reality.  I’d be happy with either him or Mioviski as one of our strikers but not as the top gun.

I am fully prepared to be surprised by Martin and Wilcox pulling a star player out of the hat  - but I am not hopeful.

Maybe there is some truth in the Ings on loan rumours.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Have you heard anything regarding a striker?

As for your comment about 'bigger clubs'...totally agree It reminds me of pundits gnashing their teeth because Lavia dared to chose Chelsea over Liverpool. Forgetting that Chelsea have been waaaaay more successful (even bigger) over the last 20 years than Liverpool. What does it matter to a 20-odd year old that Liverpool (or any club) were great in the 70s/80s...

Nothing at all, but currently Adams is still in the building, albeit he didn’t train yesterday so Im not sure he’ll play today

Everyone has a huge hard on for Liverpool who probably are ‘bigger’ than Chelsea but Id say, from a project POV Chelsea looks brighter, if anything Liverpool are on the decline

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Not sure about Aribo as Martin has praised him previously after coming on as sub.

Perraud will likely leave. As poor as Bree was against Gillingham he could be worth keeping at least until January as back up depending on what happens to KWP.

Mara, yes I forgot him. Only worth keeping in case we draw Man City in the cup so he can carry on his weird scoring record against them!

Aribo is disappointing. Did well and was well liked at Rangers. Played in a Euro final. You’d think he’d be more than good enough for the champs. 

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Be interesting to see what happens with KWP, but he’s still here for now

Woods and Holgate are good options

Fraser I think will surprise a few, he’s a good player at this level, or atleast should be, I do think we’ll replace Tella

I'm not saying fraser won't be useful but as Blackmoore said yesterday, we are losing potentially 20 goals from midfield with Tella gone. That needs replacing. 

• Like 3

Has anyone maybe considered that given Joel Piroe played under Russell Martin recently, that maybe we just weren’t in for him in the first place? Thus the reason he ended up at Leeds.

Or that Piroe didn’t want to play under RM?

Or that Leeds are a bigger club than Southampton?

Or that Leeds offered him higher wages?

People are quick to lay the blame at the clubs feet without any facts.

• Like 7