Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

5 minutes ago, coalman said:

I still think there's a player in Mara. Last season we recruited lots of players and then kept rotating them. Nobody got a chance to settle into the team which was reflected in performances on the pitch. Having a smaller squad and giving those players a run will give us an opportunity to see what they're really about. Writing someone off based on a few minutes here and there seems premature.

I agree. Just a question whether he’s up for the challenge here and has the tenacity to knuckle down and work hard to gain the chance to play. 

it seems his management team are touting him around which isn’t the best of signals. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Equally though, we don't have the time to see if he comes good. He needs to make a significant contribution now. 

I'd say we do have more opportunity to give him a chance. One advantage of the big clearout we're undergoing is that players will get more minutes. More minutes together will improve the team work between those who play. We looked better on Saturday when he came on and Armstrong dropped deeper.

We brought in a lot of players last season and didn't give them a chance to settle in the team - possibly because we were trying to settle so many at once. Possibly because we were buying with an eye to the future - but then we didn't give them a chance to develop. If our strategy is to get young players and develop them for a profit then we have to do better. Otherwise we're working on the assumption that all 18 year olds are a Lavia or a Livramento.

Just now, Doctoroncall said:

I agree. Just a question whether he’s up for the challenge here and has the tenacity to knuckle down and work hard to gain the chance to play. 

it seems his management team are touting him around which isn’t the best of signals. 

Given the lack of faith we showed in him last season I'm not surprised. If you're a young player you want to be getting minutes on the pitch. His commitment to Saints is going to mirror our commitment to him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, coalman said:

I still think there's a player in Mara. Last season we recruited lots of players and then kept rotating them. Nobody got a chance to settle into the team which was reflected in performances on the pitch. Having a smaller squad and giving those players a run will give us an opportunity to see what they're really about. Writing someone off based on a few minutes here and there seems premature.

I really want to see him make it here too, but his laid back style, propensity to try nutmegs on the half way line (for example) and inability to impress on the training ground seem to point to him departing without that happening. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, coalman said:

I don’t see it at all, would love to be proved wrong but I don’t see any attribute he really excels in. 

Edited by Appy
I would not love to be probed
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, coalman said:

I'd say we do have more opportunity to give him a chance. One advantage of the big clearout we're undergoing is that players will get more minutes. More minutes together will improve the team work between those who play. We looked better on Saturday when he came on and Armstrong dropped deeper.

We brought in a lot of players last season and didn't give them a chance to settle in the team - possibly because we were trying to settle so many at once. Possibly because we were buying with an eye to the future - but then we didn't give them a chance to develop. If our strategy is to get young players and develop them for a profit then we have to do better. Otherwise we're working on the assumption that all 18 year olds are a Lavia or a Livramento.

So we'd be left with a new striker who has been out with a long term injury, a youth player and a player who isn't ready yet but should be given an opportunity? It doesn't strike me as a recipe for promotion. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

He's back in training this week. 

From what Tony Mowbray said he's a way off being match fit. He talked of possibly arranging a friendly at the end of the international break to give him a run out. My hunch is that he won't be match fit until sometime in October and that's assuming he shows no reaction to the achilles injury he suffered.

Regardless of any accountant speak, we spent around £160m more last season than we usually do and ended up being relegated to a league where the revenues are around £100m per year less so that money has to be made up from somewhere which is why us selling £170m+ of players and only buying £10-20m is not at all surprising really.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Maybe, but it’s not stopped other talented 18 year olds from from breaking into the 1st team.

I have watched Ballard a fair bit and he is not an out and out CF . He is a poacher , he is not strong enough (yet) to be a target man who will hold the ball up for others to join in . I think if he was brought into the first team regularly now it would do him more harm than good .

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

I have watched Ballard a fair bit and he is not an out and out CF . He is a poacher , he is not strong enough (yet) to be a target man who will hold the ball up for others to join in . I think if he was brought into the first team regularly now it would do him more harm than good .

OK that’s a fair point, although I would argue Mara has shown little to suggest he’s capable to be a target man either and we were comparing the two.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Daily Record report opening offer of north of £5m for Ross Stewart rejected by Sunderland - anticipating second bid in £8m range to follow quickly.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/ross-stewart-sunderland-transfer-resolve-30819890

I really hope this isn't a replacement for Che, the last thing we need is to take a punt on an injured player returning to previous form. September we have some crucial fixtures against teams we'd expect to be around us come the end of the season.

I live in hope Mara/Onuachu are off and this is a replacement for one/both of them

• Like 4

3 hours ago, egg said:

He's a pure 10/second striker and just doesn't suit his current role and doesn't offer enough. I forget who it was against, but his ambling back when AA had to run back and make that tackle ok midfield was telling. I think we'll get another proper CM. 

Are we not going to bid for Matt Grimes? The captain of Russ' style of play. Scored and assisted last night. Come on, Saints, make it happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

I really hope this isn't a replacement for Che, the last thing we need is to take a punt on an injured player returning to previous form. September we have some crucial fixtures against teams we'd expect to be around us come the end of the season.

I live in hope Mara/Onuachu are off and this is a replacement for one/both of them

If this is who Martin wants, then go and get him. The medical staff would have been getting references and doing their own checks anyway before the board signed any eventual deal off. Tony Mowbray said he'd be back for selection from third week of September, in which case he'll miss the Leicester and (probably) Ipswich games and then be in the mix for Boro away on Sept 22.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

If this is who Martin wants, then go and get him. The medical staff would have been getting references and doing their own checks anyway before the board signed any eventual deal off. Tony Mowbray said he'd be back for selection from third week of September, in which case he'll miss the Leicester and (probably) Ipswich games and then be in the mix for Boro away on Sept 22.

Feels like a massive gamble to me, not sure its one we can afford to take.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

What is his touch like? Does he play with his back to goal much? Is it just that strength that is lacking?

I remember when we signed Ings and there were huge concerns about fitness. He turned out alright.

Ross Stewart looks like the kind of player who is going to have a party off the amount of possession and crosses we're making right now. If we can keep him fit. If it's not a huge sum then I'd say it's worth the risk.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

Snap. Just about to say that having seen a few bits of video I'd agree with this. A sharp poacher who knows where the goal is, and Mara, from the showing the other day has a physicality which Ballard doesn't have yet. I'd like to see him come on when we are comfortably winning, but as that hasn't happened recently you can see why the manager hasn't risked him yet.

14 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Feels like a massive gamble to me, not sure its one we can afford to take.

With all due respect, what else can we do?

If he’s been our manager’s ‘top target’ all summer (as reported) are we going to turn round and just tell the manager he’s not getting the striker he wants and needs to make his system work?

There’ll be a risk assessment, an evaluation and a medical process before anyone is signed. The board will have also had to weigh this up and get comfortable with it before sanctioning any bids.  

I think Martin has earned the trust with this one - especially in such a crucial role - and if it fails, then it’ll be him who loses his job anyway.

I’d sooner back him and him have no excuses than to not back the manager properly or give him a player he doesn’t actually want and then end up having to listen to how RM wasn’t backed by the board and that’s why we failed. 

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

What’s the alternative then? If he’s been our manager’s ‘top target’ all summer (as reported) are we going to turn round and just tell the manager he’s not getting the striker he wants and needs to make his system work?

There’ll be a risk assessment, an evaluation and a medical process before anyone is signed. The board will have also had to weigh this up and get comfortable with it before sanctioning any bids.  

I think Martin has earned the trust with this one - especially in such a crucial role - and if it fails, then it’ll be him who loses his job anyway.

I’d sooner back him and him have no excuses than to not back the manager properly or give him a player he doesn’t actually want and then end up having to listen to how RM wasn’t backed by the board and that’s why we failed. 

I think the question we should be asking is why our top target is someone with a horrendous injury , a patchy injury record overall and someone who hasn't played a competitive game in over six months. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Kamaldeen Sulemana’s representatives are hoping for a Premier League move before the window closes, & Everton are interested — but the relationship between the clubs is ‘fractious’, as Saints feel that the Toffees unsettled Che Adams #saintsfc @Transfersdotcom

His agent has properly ballsed it up for him. Joined the team bottom of the table in January and didn't negotiate some kind of relegation release clause?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Kamaldeen Sulemana’s representatives are hoping for a Premier League move before the window closes, & Everton are interested — but the relationship between the clubs is ‘fractious’, as Saints feel that the Toffees unsettled Che Adams #saintsfc @Transfersdotcom

Not to mention Everton are clearly in breach of FFP and will want him for nothing now to avoid digging a deeper hole.

• Like 1

Seen Stewart live a couple of times and he's excellent at holding the ball up/back to goal in general and 9 times out of 10 if you give him a sniff in the box, he'll score. 

Sunderland were hoping to play him in a behind closed doors friendly during the international break so he's really not far away from being fit again. Of course it's a risk but at £5-8m it's surely worth it and gives us more options at the top end (assuming Che stays), allowing Adam Armstrong to play in that slightly deeper role he's been thriving in. 

He's excellent in the air too which will prove important in both boxes. 

Worth mentioning that our 'new' Head of Recruitment is Sunderland manager Tony Mowbray's brother so that should help in getting a deal done. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

With all due respect, what else can we do?

If he’s been our manager’s ‘top target’ all summer (as reported) are we going to turn round and just tell the manager he’s not getting the striker he wants and needs to make his system work?

Am sure all the relevant checks are in place for a medical, just when you read sentences like if you can keep him fit, doesn't feel you with much confidence. 

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I think he'll probably be a late loan out.  Not sure anyone will want to pay what we're asking for.

Just now, igsey said:

His agent has properly ballsed it up for him. Joined the team bottom of the table in January and didn't negotiate some kind of relegation release clause?

I know that fans are short term oriented but boy players and agents are too.

we have 10 pointsfrom 4 games, Everton winless and he wants to go there with odds stacked against them on being relegated. Chances are if he moves there is that he will be in the same situation next summer and we will be back in the PL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint_lambden said:

Seen Stewart live a couple of times and he's excellent at holding the ball up/back to goal in general and 9 times out of 10 if you give him a sniff in the box, he'll score. 

Sunderland were hoping to play him in a behind closed doors friendly during the international break so he's really not far away from being fit again. Of course it's a risk but at £5-8m it's surely worth it and gives us more options at the top end (assuming Che stays), allowing Adam Armstrong to play in that slightly deeper role he's been thriving in. 

Worth mentioning that our 'new' Head of Recruitment is Sunderland manager Tony Mowbray's brother so that should help in getting a deal done. 

You would think he is almost certainly our Adams replacement rather than being signed in addition to him. 

1 minute ago, Saint_lambden said:

How are Sunderland financially? Given they made the play offs last season you'd think they'll be targeting that this season so wont want to sell to a rival for one of those slots. Although Stewart only having a year left on his deal complicates things for them. This one wont be easy to so, expect we are going to have to pay them an inflated price for the reason above despite his current injury. Sunderland will probably be thinking if he'd stayed fit they could well have gone up last season

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We would be mad to let him go out on loan. 

Although i agree with you Hypo i am guessing if we want him gone then it's purely down to getting his wages off the books and nothing else. A motivated Sully would tear the Championship up. I really hope we keep him but am not confident.