Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

26 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

To be fair he was bang on with Tino. 

Think he’s had a few good insights already this summer, so think this can be taken as more than just an easy link. Like mentioned above, maybe one who’s willing to wait for us to move on a couple before going for him. 

7 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Not seen a midfielder quarterback like this since Pirlo

Seems a likely candidate if JWP departs. Pings a decent ball in that video, but it doesn't show all the ones that didn't hit their mark. He has absolute hours to pick a pass too. 

What's the rest of his game like? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

West Ham about to sign a CM from Ajax, could potentially end their interest in JWP.

They ain't getting him for £30m, but he's younger so potential resell value. 

With Scimacca not working out, Moyes is going to push hard to get Prem experience, but the DoF is going to be looking for value and slightly longer term. Interesting power struggle. Moyes tenure on a knife edge.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Think he’s had a few good insights already this summer, so think this can be taken as more than just an easy link. Like mentioned above, maybe one who’s willing to wait for us to move on a couple before going for him. 

Happy to get tit bit's like this, but haven't his insights so far been based on knowing someone at the club that knows when a player is off or is at the training ground? Bit different to predicting a transfer.

Pretty easy to say that we will bid for Grimes and Piroe if and when we sell players in those positions. Easy for both to bide their time too...as has been suggested targets are willing to do.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Grimes would be an amazing signing and would add a new dimension to our game. He would provide the longer passes to go with our short ones because he has a left foot like a wand. Very talented player.

24 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Matt clearly has a contact within the club. There's certainly been a large turnover of staff over the last few months..

Edited by Harry_SFC

12 minutes ago, saintant said:

Matt Grimes, Max Aarons and Danny Ings please (assuming JWP, Lavia and KWP go).

Sounds like the first two are on, the third surely has zero chance of happening, Ings is on £125k a week and has two years left on his contract.

Im still preparing for a number of outs, sounds like KWP will be off if we’re after Aarons. Lavia definitely, JWP if a PL club decides to stump up for him, and I can’t see ABK staying. Maybe a bit of a struggle to keep either of Tella and Sulemana, Tella’s interview yesterday was a giveaway that he’s not committed to staying here. Then if we can get some money for the likes of Onuachu, Mara, Djenepo, great. Also not 100% confident we’ll keep Bednarek or Adams, Adams especially wouldn’t surprise me if he goes. Going to be some nervous times as September approaches, but I have a bit of faith that it’s in hand and the club are moving behind the scenes to cover any shortfalls.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Sounds like the first two are on, the third surely has zero chance of happening, Ings is on £125k a week and has two years left on his contract.

Im still preparing for a number of outs, sounds like KWP will be off if we’re after Aarons. Lavia definitely, JWP if a PL club decides to stump up for him, and I can’t see ABK staying. Maybe a bit of a struggle to keep either of Tella and Sulemana, Tella’s interview yesterday was a giveaway that he’s not committed to staying here. Then if we can get some money for the likes of Onuachu, Mara, Djenepo, great. Also not 100% confident we’ll keep Bednarek or Adams, Adams especially wouldn’t surprise me if he goes. Going to be some nervous times as September approaches, but I have a bit of faith that it’s in hand and the club are moving behind the scenes to cover any shortfalls.

Re Tella, there's such a difference between being open to a move and actively wanting one. He might leave but I could easily see him staying

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Re Tella, there's such a difference between being open to a move and actively wanting one. He might leave but I could easily see him staying

What did he say? Watched the match on holiday but haven’t seen any other stuff!

Just now, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Same, but it’s clearly in the balance. Don’t blame him at all if he is looking for a move, his stock is high after last season. Very much hope he stays but he’d be daft not to be looking at all options. After last night it’s a little bit more reinforcement that staying here could be a genuinely decent option. Also someone on here said he’s on a comparatively low wage to others, so the club might have to give him a bump to head off a move. Put it in the “we’ll see” column.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, disconnect said:

What did he say? Watched the match on holiday but haven’t seen any other stuff!

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12933918/che-adams-no-better-place-to-score-a-late-winner

It’s at the end, he’s asked if he’s staying and he gives a nervous laugh and a “let’s see, I’m only focussing on the next game” answer.

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12933918/che-adams-no-better-place-to-score-a-late-winner

It’s at the end, he’s asked if he’s staying and he gives a nervous laugh and a “let’s see, I’m only focussing on the next game” answer.

Well, he could say anything and it would be open to interpetation. The only thing that is sure is that the players we want to commit, won't untill the window shuts, and the players who do commit, are the ones we don't want to :) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

He's not going to say "yes, definitely staying" if we are open to selling him for the right price, which we are. Trouble is no-one is (so far) willing to pay that price. 

• Like 1

Just now, Saint_clark said:

He's not going to say "yes, definitely staying" if we are open to selling him for the right price, which we are. Trouble is no-one is (so far) willing to pay that price. 

And that is ridiculous, to be fair

• Like 1

Just now, Saint_clark said:

If we're offered £20million with add-ons on top I would take it. But nobody is going to offer that so we're fine.

why would you take that? We need to score goals. Armstrong is crap, Adams is probably off, and Tella is a proven finisher in this league, is already a saints player and will cost us £0 in terms of transfer fee

• Like 5

1 minute ago, saintant said:

I'd be amazed if Norwich sell him to us in the week before we play them.

Their sporting director said that he’s outgrown the club and they’ll let him go for the right price, sounds like Norwich need the money as they’ve let a few players go already. I guess they may try and sort something out that says he doesn’t play against them so soon, but I wouldn’t rule it out, money talks.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

If we're offered £20million with add-ons on top I would take it. But nobody is going to offer that so we're fine.

In fairness after last night and after taking best part of 100m from Lavia, Tino and Salisu Id be inclined to say… thats it, we’re done

We’ve started the season now, promotion is now more valuable to us then the extra cash, we can always sell in Jan if it looks like our push isn’t going to plan

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

In fairness after last night and after taking best part of 100m from Lavia, Tino and Salisu Id be inclined to say… thats it, we’re done

We’ve started the season now, promotion is now more valuable to us then the extra cash, we can always sell in Jan if it looks like our push isn’t going to plan

Agree, and fine in principle, unless the club have a "gentleman's agreement" over releasing JWP , KWP whoever to get back to the EPL, or others (Sulemana) over promises to leave in the event of relegation.

Hopefully neither JWP or KWP are likely to go into VVD mode.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I think there’s still business to be had. I’d feel fine to reduce the squad size by getting rid of the likes of Onuachu, Mara, Djenepo, and Lyanco. I also think the likes of Sulemana and ABK won’t be hanging around, but it woukd be good to replace them if funds allow. Basically our wage bill is unsustainable and Rusty has already said the squad is too big to be workable, so I’m expecting a few to go yet. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Not seen a midfielder quarterback like this since Pirlo

Looks like he plays in the deeper 'piviot' role. in which case, what would that mean for Smallbone? move further forwrd into the same role JWP was playing?

• Like 1

I think it’s gonna be a busy busy few weeks ahead. Get as many points on the board as possible with the likes of JWP, KWP, Lavia etc. They will all go but I think we will replace them all but then we’re sort of starting again and will basically lose that 5 week pre season. Unless we just get Piroe and Grimes and they already know Russell’s game. 

• Like 1

Just now, SaintLondon said:

I think it’s gonna be a busy busy few weeks ahead. Get as many points on the board as possible with the likes of JWP, KWP, Lavia etc. They will all go but I think we will replace them all but then we’re sort of starting again and will basically lose that 5 week pre season. Unless we just get Piroe and Grimes and they already know Russell’s game. 

Yep - this has been my concern all along. We're going to have practically a whole new squad just as we hit a run of the hardest (on paper) fixturers we're gonna have all season. 

If JWP, KWP, Adams are going to go, i think we need them gone and replaced sooner rather than later. If it means we dip out on a few quid, so be it!

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I think there’s still business to be had. I’d feel fine to reduce the squad size by getting rid of the likes of Onuachu, Mara, Djenepo, and Lyanco. I also think the likes of Sulemana and ABK won’t be hanging around, but it woukd be good to replace them if funds allow. Basically our wage bill is unsustainable and Rusty has already said the squad is too big to be workable, so I’m expecting a few to go yet. 

I think the core is fine to stay, losing any of our first 11 last night, and even Arma/Che will probably need a replacement… the rest can be trimmed

So it does beg the question… why sell if we don’t have to ? Tantalising offers or players downing tools aside.. it makes more sense to maintain what we have

I think the finances are likely ok enough, certainly for now, like I said it can be revisited in Jan if we are floundering 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dman said:

The Max Aarons link really excites me tbh. Probably the best replacemet for Tino / KWP we could hope for.. He's a PL player, for sure. 

Agreed. He was linked with Arsenal for £40m a couple of years ago. 
Amazing how times change.

Still young, hopefully can kick on (if we do get him).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SaintLondon said:

That's exactly what is going to happen imo.

1 hour ago, Dman said:

if we're going to be ambitious, if / when JWP leaves, id love us to go for Hamer at Cov. Fantastic player.

As much as it's good to go for guys like Grimes and Piroe that know the system, I'd also like to see us branch out a bit and cream off some championship talent like him.

One thing that struck me after last night's game is that the "quality" of the players we bring in might be less important than their ability to fit into the style we'll play under Martin. There was more "pass and move" in last night's game than in pretty much any five games put together last year. It's often not the pass that creates the space, but the move. We had that in abundance last night. It's why there were multiple legitimate MOTM candidates.

That raises another point. Sure, Wednesday were knackered well before the end of the game because they'd been chasing our pass-and-move shadows. But it also took a lot of energy to play the style we played, so I think we've done a lot of unheralded work on fitness in pre-season. Physical and mental.

Whoever we bring in needs to fit with that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dman said:

shouldnt be a problem

You think we'll spend £20m on a player while in the Championship? I'd hope our scouting was better than that. Mumba going to Plymouth for example for £1m and he can play. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chez said:

You think we'll spend £20m on a player while in the Championship? I'd hope our scouting was better than that. Mumba going to Plymouth for example for £1m and he can play. 

Good point but they spent £15m on Shea Charles, no way he sits on the bench. So not afraid to spend.

I'm guessing he's Lavia's replacement. Can't see them buying Grimes on top of that investment.

ATM it is all about trimming the squad, you can see it is frustrating Martin.

4 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Where is the link to Danny Ings coming from? 

there is no link other than he played for us.

The massive wages and two year contract mens he is only ever departing West Ham on loan. No championship club is affording him even if West Ham paid half the wages.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Good point but they spent £15m on Shea Charles, no way he sits on the bench. So not afraid to spend.

I'm guessing he's Lavia's replacement. Can't see them buying Grimes on top of that investment.

ATM it is all about trimming the squad, you can see it is frustrating Martin.

Charles was about £10m with adds ons taking it to £15m. I think £15m on the right guy is possible - assuming we have sold Adams for similar - but not sure we'll spend more than that on a player.

What kind of amount will Swansea want for Grimes?

I'd guess £15m would get Piroe (and it could well be less) seeing as he can walk (like Adams) for nothing.

• Like 1

If we're being greedy, then the areas where we are currently lacking are:

- proper competition at GK

- aerial ability at defensive set pieces

Other than that, the squad is fine as it stands. I'm not sure we'll do anything much at GK so, really, I think it's just a case of replacing any of the important leavers and, ideally, taking into account aerial attributes as part of that process.

When ABK goes we should sign a centre back that is very good in the air. Obviously we'll be looking for one that can pass but I think the Stephens/Bednarek combo will leak goals and we don't have any real height in CM or up front. 

Likewise, if Adams goes, it would be good to sign a striker with some physicality. 

I guess if JWP goes then Smallbone might play further forwards (although we saw Stuart Armstrong being very effective in that role) with Charles at deeper midfield, and that will give the XI a bit more aerial strength.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, benjii said:

If we're being greedy, then the areas where we are currently lacking are:

- proper competition at GK

- aerial ability at defensive set pieces

Other than that, the squad is fine as it stands. I'm not sure we'll do anything much at GK so, really, I think it's just a case of replacing any of the important leavers and, ideally, taking into account aerial attributes as part of that process.

When ABK goes we should sign a centre back that is very good in the air. Obviously we'll be looking for one that can pass but I think the Stephens/Bednarek combo will leak goals and we don't have any real height in CM or up front. 

Likewise, if Adams goes, it would be good to sign a striker with some physicality. 

I guess if JWP goes then Smallbone might play further forwards (although we saw Stuart Armstrong being very effective in that role) with Charles at deeper midfield, and that will give the XI a bit more aerial strength.

I’m surprised more hasn’t been said about size and physicality. We are a small, lightweight team. All very well bringing in a set piece coach but without more aerial presence it is useless. We wasted most corners on Friday.

• Like 2