Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

18 minutes ago, trousers said:

Danny Ings 

(Please)

Wishful thinking...?

I am a great fan of his but It worries that he has done nothing really at West Ham or Villa. Is he past it? Is he more injury prone? I would rather that we were able to unearth another Rickie Lambert......that really is wishful thinking I expect!🙂 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Would anyone take Assombalonga on a free up front? Struggled for a couple of years but has a history of getting goals in this league. 

Yes, if it's a free then low risk and he had serious potential a few years back. Would have to be in addition rather than instead of Piroe or Stewart.

33 minutes ago, The Realist said:

so who is going to come in for Tella when he leaves for Burnley?  He said it all by dodging the question after the game.  I know he couldn't say anything else but I think he'll be gone. We still lack goals and need to find a way to get those players in midfield to get themselves into the box when the ball is out wide, otherwise its pointless as Edozie has nothing to aim at - hence comments about no end product from him.  It will get better I'm sure, Piroe would be a good addition but 1 forward is likely to have to leave for that to happen. 

Given how dangerous he was in the championship last season I think the club should just take a hardline stance basically and tell him he’s not going anywhere. His potential value if he can recreate the form he showed last season is way more than a replacement would cost.

To be fair if I was Tella I would tell Burnley to get stuffed. He’s without doubt one of the main reasons they so comfortably got promoted last season, but they’re repaying that faith by trying to lowball us and basically say he’s not worth what we value him at. Same goes for JWP really, if West Ham want to make a derisory bid for a player that should bring in at least £30 mill I’d be feeling pretty unvalued.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Given how dangerous he was in the championship last season I think the club should just take a hardline stance basically and tell him he’s not going anywhere. His potential value if he can recreate the form he showed last season is way more than a replacement would cost.

To be fair if I was Tella I would tell Burnley to get stuffed. He’s without doubt one of the main reasons they so comfortably got promoted last season, but they’re repaying that faith by trying to lowball us and basically say he’s not worth what we value him at. Same goes for JWP really, if West Ham want to make a derisory bid for a player that should bring in at least £30 mill I’d be feeling pretty unvalued.

I'm yet to be convinced that Tella has what it takes to succeed in the Premier League if I'm honest. 

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

I'm yet to be convinced that Tella has what it takes to succeed in the Premier League if I'm honest. 

Not something for us to worry about for a year though.

He’s fine for us this season, unless Burnley are prepared to raise their paltry offer. 

14 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:
Hopefully we can keep hold of Che. If not, an immediate replacement in Piroe would be perfect.

I think Piroe offers a bit more and would be a step up on Che to be honest. Ideally I’d like to see them paired up front or RM to have both options (although seems unlikely). 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Another right back? Guess KWP is off then. 

20 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I'd rather Alfredo Morales on a free

Good shout.

24 minutes ago, James said:

Yes, if it's a free then low risk and he had serious potential a few years back. Would have to be in addition rather than instead of Piroe or Stewart.

Stewart is dead in the water I think. Agreed though that i'd want to see him and someone else.

The prize for the stupidest football report on last night goes to John Westerby in The Times, who starts: "One side came up, the other came down, and there was little to separate the two teams."

He goes on to say that Saints won the first half and Sheffield Wednesday won the second.

I'm trying to imagine how he'd explain this fantasy to literally anyone who saw the actual game.

(Wrong thread - never mind)

Edited by Verbal
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Verbal said:

The prize for the stupidest football report on last night goes to John Westerby in The Times, who starts: "One side came up, the other came down, and there was little to separate the two teams."

He goes on to say that Saints won the first half and Sheffield Wednesday won the second.

I'm trying to imagine how he'd explain this fantasy to literally anyone who saw the actual game.

Sounds like someone that had the game on in the background and looked up when the goals were scored.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Tells probably wants a go in the Premier League, which is fair enough. I think he’s a good championship player who may not replicate his form in the top league, and football-wise, it might be better if he stays but I doubt he gives a shit about a lowball offer. Same with JWP. The most important thing for a player will be playing at the best level, for the best possible team, for the best possible money, and then where he and his family are happy to go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Would anyone take Assombalonga on a free up front? Struggled for a couple of years but has a history of getting goals in this league. 

If we're considering players that have had a bad couple of years, but have a history of doing it at this level then how Che Adams or Adam Armstrong.  I hear they've been there and done it...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Sounds like WHU are closing in on the Ajax CM for £40m

Although one of the WHU mouth pieces has again said today that they're unwilling to go above £30m, and are looking for us to compromise to help them do the deal - umm, yeah that's not how it works.

It’s supposed to be both sides that compromise.

Listening to Soccer Saturday the pundits view, particularly Michael Dawson, but generally agreed by all, was that if we kept our squad together (ex Lavia and Tino) that nobody in the Championship would touch us and we'd be nailed on for promotion.

Also, suggested that although the board planned to sell another 4 or 5 , perhaps they might wake up this morning and think perhaps it's worth keeping them together for a year if they can.

• Like 7

As good as it was to see the team click last night, the hard ice cold reality is that a number of those playing last night won't be with us next month. How much the club can salvage will depend on how much the Prem sides are going to pay. They haven't really started to splash the cash yet, its going to be rough few weeks.

Tella was very impressive last night and I can't see him staying. I'm sure he's not overly bothered, all scenarios are good for him, but if Burnley stump up £20 million he will be put in a taxi pronto. Especially as we have other players who can play there.

JWP was given so much space last night it was ridiculous, he was allowed to stroll into the area unchallenged for the 2nd goal. That would never happen in the Prem. His passing and movement was a step above the others. If West Ham don't want him, somebody else will come in for him. I'm sure Fulham and Brighton are watching very closely. He deserves to play on the main stage and deserves decent bids, not the insult from West Ham.

I also think KWP will be off, he is a good Premier league right back, someone will want him, but like the others they have to pay top dollar. That may just be the salvation with him and Adams.

The incoming money will at least allow Saints to loan out or pay off the likes of Aribo, and buy in decent replacements.

I suspect there will be a lot of disappointment on here in 2 weeks time. However don't forget these players took us down last season so we shouldn't be too upset if they depart.

• Confused 3

3 minutes ago, macca155 said:

As good as it was to see the team click last night, the hard ice cold reality is that a number of those playing last night won't be with us next month. How much the club can salvage will depend on how much the Prem sides are going to pay. They haven't really started to splash the cash yet, its going to be rough few weeks.

Tella was very impressive last night and I can't see him staying. I'm sure he's not overly bothered, all scenarios are good for him, but if Burnley stump up £20 million he will be put in a taxi pronto. Especially as we have other players who can play there.

JWP was given so much space last night it was ridiculous, he was allowed to stroll into the area unchallenged for the 2nd goal. That would never happen in the Prem. His passing and movement was a step above the others. If West Ham don't want him, somebody else will come in for him. I'm sure Fulham and Brighton are watching very closely. He deserves to play on the main stage and deserves decent bids, not the insult from West Ham.

I also think KWP will be off, he is a good Premier league right back, someone will want him, but like the others they have to pay top dollar. That may just be the salvation with him and Adams.

The incoming money will at least allow Saints to loan out or pay off the likes of Aribo, and buy in decent replacements.

I suspect there will be a lot of disappointment on here in 2 weeks time. However don't forget these players took us down last season so we shouldn't be too upset if they depart.

Will only be disappointment if the players who are sold aren’t adequately replaced. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, macca155 said:

I can understand that if we get a big fee for a 28 year old and he gets opportunity to play in europe that JWP sale would be understandable.

Don't see how selling the likes of Tella or KWP for 15-20M helps the club at all. We're going to need to replace them with players of the same quality and that's going to cost a lot if we can even attract them(piroe quoted at 20m) so why sell the quality we have under contract.

I get the feeling aribo will likely stay.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, macca155 said:

The reality, after beating Sheff Weds 2-1, last night was probably the strongest match day squad we will have this season.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Juice said:

Max Aarons, anyone know anything about him. I confess to not! 

The concern being that this means KWP is leaving (and, head over heart, rightly so - too good for the Championship) 

Was really highly rated when he first appeared. Played 40 games in the Championship and then 36 in the Prem at 18/19 years old, was linked to Barcelona and United in 2020 but career seems to have stalled a little bit since.

1 year left on his deal, and the kind of player we should definitely be going for (unfulfilled potential akin to Hojbjerg, Romeu, Bertrand etc) whilst still at a young age.

RM's comments yesterday seemed to insinuate we'd replace Tino, even without KWP's likely departure. I'd be surprised if it wasn't Aarons & Bree for the season on the right. 

Championship YPOTY in 18-19, and in the Championship TOTY in 18/19 and 20/21.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, The Realist said:

so who is going to come in for Tella when he leaves for Burnley? 

We were linked to Million Manhoef of Vitesse the other day. Left footed right winger. Leicester are also supposedly looking at him.

Bit of a Marcus Edwards clone - low centre of gravity, pacy dribbler. 

No idea how many of our links are total bollocks, but his age, style and likely price feels like there could be something in it.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I think Piroe offers a bit more and would be a step up on Che to be honest. Ideally I’d like to see them paired up front or RM to have both options (although seems unlikely). 

WHAT IS ALL THIS PIROE SHITE???

Where is there a link to us ?

Do you people read this forum?

The only rumor i see is Piroe is (sticking it to swansea) not resigning a new contract, wants to go to Italy and can do as soon as January. No wish to stay in EFL.

So "Matty" unless you know something, stop suggesting him every few pages as if he is only Striker in the world.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

I'd rather Alfredo Morales on a free

He has what it takes but there are huge question marks over his attitude and fitness. If we could get him fit and hungry to play he could potentially be brilliant for us but is it a gamble worth taking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Verbal said:

(Wrong thread - never mind)

Was he even at the game or is he just a complete idiot?

15 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

We were linked to Million Manhoef of Vitesse the other day. Left footed right winger. Leicester are also supposedly looking at him.

Bit of a Marcus Edwards clone - low centre of gravity, pacy dribbler. 

No idea how many of our links are total bollocks, but his age, style and likely price feels like there could be something in it.

We've actually had quite a few links to wide players which makes me think at least one of Tella and Sulemana could leave. 

Manhoef was recently described as " a plague for every team, because he is lightning fast" by Pierre Van Hooijdonk.

In addition to him we've had Grady Diangara from West Brom.  He's the kid the West Ham fans and Mark Noble were up in arms about selling a few years back.  He's got more tricks than a magician and seems to have a bit of pace about him too. Leeds also linked with him and feels like a similar kind of signing to Max Aarons (if we sign him).

There's also been Amad Diallo of Man Utd (presumably on loan) and Bopp from Man City.

• Like 1

Amad Diallo is going to miss a lot of the first half of the season with a knee injury.

I forgot about the Diangana link. 

I do think if we keep Tella he needs a new contract, I’m sure I read he’s one of our lowest earners.

1 hour ago, The Juice said:

Max Aarons, anyone know anything about him. I confess to not! 

The concern being that this means KWP is leaving (and, head over heart, rightly so - too good for the Championship) 

He could be the perfect replacement for KWP. Quick, good going forward and in recovery and can play on both sides.

2 hours ago, The Realist said:

so who is going to come in for Tella when he leaves for Burnley?  He said it all by dodging the question after the game.  I know he couldn't say anything else but I think he'll be gone. We still lack goals and need to find a way to get those players in midfield to get themselves into the box when the ball is out wide, otherwise its pointless as Edozie has nothing to aim at - hence comments about no end product from him.  It will get better I'm sure, Piroe would be a good addition but 1 forward is likely to have to leave for that to happen. 

Comes to something when we can't even keep hold of tella who was totally unproven in the premier league till recently gaining form.... Surely we have to keep hold of some quality... Basically anyone who's half decent wants out and any replacements we get will be substandard! 

10 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

WHAT IS ALL THIS PIROE SHITE???

Where is there a link to us ?

Do you people read this forum?

The only rumor i see is Piroe is (sticking it to swansea) not resigning a new contract, wants to go to Italy and can do as soon as January. No wish to stay in EFL.

So "Matty" unless you know something, stop suggesting him every few pages as if he is only Striker in the world.

The link is just logical thinking. Swansea need to sell, we may need a striker and Martin is likely to be a fan.

Piroe can discuss a move Italian clubs in January, but the move would be in the summer when his contract expires.

Swansea can't afford for him to walk on a free. But they have received no bids. We are not in a position to make a bid unless we sell Adams. 

22 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

We've actually had quite a few links to wide players which makes me think at least one of Tella and Sulemana could leave. 

Manhoef was recently described as " a plague for every team, because he is lightning fast" by Pierre Van Hooijdonk.

In addition to him we've had Grady Diangara from West Brom.  He's the kid the West Ham fans and Mark Noble were up in arms about selling a few years back.  He's got more tricks than a magician and seems to have a bit of pace about him too. Leeds also linked with him and feels like a similar kind of signing to Max Aarons (if we sign him).

There's also been Amad Diallo of Man Utd (presumably on loan) and Bopp from Man City.

I really can't see Sulemana staying. Not certain we replace him though if Tella remains. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

I really can't see Sulemana staying. Not certain we replace him though if Tella remains. 

Yes, I agree and would be surprised to see him here on 1st September.  Having said that I'm not sure I can see many teams offering us our money back on him either.  Probably a loan is more likely.  Would love him to stay though.

You're probably right that if we keep one of Tella and Sulemana then we won't replace unless we shift some of Djenepo, Aribo, S Armstrong as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Yes, I agree and would be surprised to see him here on 1st September.  Having said that I'm not sure I can see many teams offering us our money back on him either.  Probably a loan is more likely.  Would love him to stay though.

You're probably right that if we keep one of Tella and Sulemana then we won't replace unless we shift some of Djenepo, Aribo, S Armstrong as well.

The Athletic article at the start of the summer suggested he could go on loan. Maybe we will for a loan fee and to have his wages paid. 

1 hour ago, saintant said:

He could be the perfect replacement for KWP. Quick, good going forward and in recovery and can play on both sides.

Just noticed that Norwich sold Mumba to Plymouth for a million quid. He was the best right back in League 1 last year whilst on loan with Plymouth. You'd of thought he would be Aaron's replacement. Perhaps an I dictation of just how hard up Norwich are? They signed Jack Stacey from Bournemouth on a free, so Aaron's is perhaps still expected to depart.