Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

25 minutes ago, egg said:

He's our best CB by some distance, but he's fragile and too good for he championship. I think he's one who'll be going. 

40 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

So Martin has confirmed we won't be signing another cb unless one leaves. Really need Lyanco or ABK to leave then. 

Yep, much as I'd love ABK to stay, he is an emerging talent who like Lavia and Livramento are both too good to languish in the Championship and too valuable an asset not to cash in on.   Lyanco probably fits into the McCarthy, Bree, Djenepo, Mara category - hard to shift players who would free up space for the players Martin wants.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, manji said:

Some of the less perceptive on here need a scapegoat. It makes it easier to understand

While some of the more perceptive judge by what their own eyes tell them. Let's see how many are singing his praise after a dozen games - I wager they'll be in the minority. That's not me scapegoating Baz and I'm sure we'd all be delighted if he has a fantastic season but he gives me no confidence I'm afraid. Still think we'll be making a huge gaff if we don't sign a new number one.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

I think ABK would be excellent in this division but he won’t be here… surely? 

One of the best U21 CBs in the world, was in the German World Cup squad and Germany are hosting the Euros next summer. I would say his chances of staying are 0%.

I'm sure we will make double our investment on him and he will go to a club in Europe playing Champions League.

Good luck to him. Clearly a very good player still early in his career, just think he needs to fully recover from those shoulder and knee issues to stop them becoming a recurring problem.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Now might be a good time for people who think we have sold him too cheaply to say as such.

Personally, I was concerned about his defending - he ball watched badly - but thought we'd get a few seasons to see him work that out. Not sure he is the next Bale, but would of liked the chance to find out.

I think the money we got was decent. Shame Chelsea get so much of it, but the £4m fee we got him for would have been a lot more without the sell on clause 

Agreed. We've done very well here imo. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Might be late to the party, but I see that Lyanco has had his number 4 taken off him and he doesnt seem pleased about it. Hopefully a sign that hes edging closer to a move (finally)

Its more likely a sign that we want to push him to the exit door but he is standing his ground a bit, no reason to be pissed off if he is about to leave as would be irrelevant. That Besiktas failure has probably thwarted some incoming plans.

Still can't believe some on here rate him, shows a decent proportion of fans are clueless unfortunately.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I agree with and applaud your positive outlook. Unfortunately mine is tempered by the fact that we’ve yet to see any improvement in our ability to score goals. Until that changes we’ll find it difficult to win games despite high possession stats and pretty passages of football. We’ve got players that can score - have we got the system and nouse to get them firing?

I predict that 3 games into the season without a win or draw will see fans support start to turn quickly away from Martin and his system - tolerance levels following a terrible last season and relegation will be at a very tangible low. Let’s hope we see a marked improvement tomorrow evening because a win and three points would be a significant morale boost and a sign that actually Martin has improved the squad since last seasons defeat to SW.

COYS!

So many ifs and buts as you say, but re the start of season, I do feel that Martin's hands are tied somewhat until window finishes. If I remember rightly, Burnley didn't get off to a flyer either. Fans are fickle across the board and I agree there will be unrest if we start badly. My view is that we have a good balance in the side now, some exciting youngsters and a definite style. If we also keep JWP, we have experience. The window, can't shut soon enough, but I just get a feeling that some of the players here, Arma, Smallbone, Tella have a point to prove. Would love to start with an entertaining win tonight but won't be getting niggly if we don't

• Like 2

8 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Might be late to the party, but I see that Lyanco has had his number 4 taken off him and he doesnt seem pleased about it. Hopefully a sign that hes edging closer to a move (finally)

Id say thats a strong indication that we’re looking to recruit another CB then

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

One of the best U21 CBs in the world, was in the German World Cup squad and Germany are hosting the Euros next summer. I would say his chances of staying are 0%.

I'm sure we will make double our investment on him and he will go to a club in Europe playing Champions League.

Good luck to him. Clearly a very good player still early in his career, just think he needs to fully recover from those shoulder and knee issues to stop them becoming a recurring problem.

I think his chances have been improved slightly due to his injury and the fact that we want a minimum of 25m

Past that though I do agree, he is a significant talent and coveted by many of Europes top clubs

• Like 1

Just now, Weston Super Saint said:

Or.... the squad numbers were finalised during Lyanco's transfer that fell apart.  Would be pretty pointless allocating him his preferred squad number if he was in the middle of a transfer!

Yeah possible too, Im not reading a huge amount into squad numbers tbh, just found it interesting 

I suspect numbers weren’t finalised that long ago though

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Think its the tel aviv goalkeeper Neir Post

Afraid not. This one’s straight from the Saintsweb CoT. We’re going for the young Rangers & Russian U18s back-up keeper

Akudni Kachakuld

You heard it here first!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Joe Lumley, free agent keeper following loan to Reading last from Boro. Was selected players player of the season

Looks like he is being signed as a no2 keeper rather than a no3 based on recent playing time so I would say McCarthy likely to go which would free up wages.

15 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Looks like he is being signed as a no2 keeper rather than a no3 based on recent playing time so I would say McCarthy likely to go which would free up wages.

Not sure why McCarthy would go. Isn't he on a contract and one of our highest paid players. Poor decision making by those in charge leave him tied to us as no other club would touch him with a barge pole on his wages.

Just now, saintant said:

Not sure why McCarthy would go. Isn't he on a contract and one of our highest paid players. Poor decision making by those in charge leave him tied to us as no other club would touch him with a barge pole on his wages.

Probably ship him out on loan and pay the majority of his wages. 

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Apparently isn't a great shot stopper which is disheartening as that's the same as Bazunu. 

Surely he has no business being a goalkeeper then?

Have I lost touch of the game so much that we no longer need goalkeepers who can stop the ball going in the back of the net.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

This journalist is an idiot. He says Lavia has agreed a five year deal with Liverpool but then goes on to say that the two clubs are still negotiating the transfer fee. What absolute rubbish.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Apparently isn't a great shot stopper which is disheartening as that's the same as Bazunu. 

He's got a pretty impressive fail compilation on twitter. Also there's the time he celebrates a goal in front of the Swansea fans and is taken away by Russell Martin...."Ah, we meet again, Mr Lumley".

Think Baz might be safe.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

Reading RAWK, they're not happy that we said he's available for selection tonight in case he gets injured. If anything it might make Liverpool hurry the hell up and present us with a decent bid today. We'll see. I guess the starting line up will be telling. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Joe Lumley, free agent keeper following loan to Reading last from Boro. Was selected players player of the season

So not addressing the critical issues over the last couple of seasons re a striker, and GK continues.

Think the club should find a new sponsor, a self-harm charity would seem appropriate.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Not too sure if we're talking about the same player, but if so, this feels like a massive over exaggeration. 

Even if he had the ability to be 'one of the best', you've got to be on the pitch to be able to be that.. which ABK hardly ever was. 

He didn't have the heart for the fight in the PL, let alone the championship. Get rid. 

17 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Reading RAWK, they're not happy that we said he's available for selection tonight in case he gets injured. If anything it might make Liverpool hurry the hell up and present us with a decent bid today. We'll see. I guess the starting line up will be telling. 

Are they ever ? Unless it's the media fawning over how great and special they are?

Perhaps they'll up the bid at about 7.40pm tonight.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, coalman said:

I'm not sure I've ever seen a club announce a contract for a player they haven't bought yet. Liverpool really are dripping with a sense of entitlement 

Chill.  Don't think the club (Liverpool) have announced anything.  The transfer will happen if they pay the price. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notnowcato said:

Chill.  Don't think the club (Liverpool) have announced anything.  The transfer will happen if they pay the price. 

Surely it is commonsense that a club buying Lavia would need to know what wages would be acceptable to the player before agreeing a transfer fee with us.

It happens all the time surely there is no economic sense in buying the player without knowing how much you are paying him and the agent

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

Stephen’s new 2 year contract……..I think that’s a decent bit of business BIM the league we’re in 

In the same way that I believe Baz was better in the PL than Kelvin, so was Stephens compared to Hooiveld. With that in mind, I think he’ll do alright this season. Him and Bednarek were always the two CBs most likely to stay and we need some continuity.

• Like 12

Just now, Lighthouse said:

In the same way that I believe Baz was better in the PL than Kelvin, so was Stephens compared to Hooiveld. With that in mind, I think he’ll do alright this season. Him and Bednarek were always the two CBs most likely to stay and we need some continuity.

didn't Kelvin get hooked out after 10 or so games for Boruc? Realistically the same should have happened to Baz. It really wasn't hard to be better than Kelvin, but i'm not even sure Baz is / was. 

If the point you're trying to make here is that Baz will be fine for the championship, I again, disagree. Terrible goal keeper and will cost us vital points next season.. again. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think a year in the Championship will be very good for Bazunu. Clearly has lots of talent but relying on him in the PL was a big error. But I think he'll come good and end up being a valuable player for us. Clearly not everyone agrees, but I guess we'll find out because it looks like he's our #1 again this year.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Badger said:

So not addressing the critical issues over the last couple of seasons re a striker, and GK continues.

Think the club should find a new sponsor, a self-harm charity would seem appropriate.

They did address the issue of a GK they bought in the Irish International Goalkeeper who had a stellar season in League 1.

They thought he would be OK in the Premier League which was proved not to be the case as with A Armstrong Airibo Doussa and countless others not only at Southampton but at other PL clubs as well.

I would have thought the Club realised that there was a problem not having a decent striker as they have all the stats but I do not think it is easy recruiting a 12 + goal a season striker who wants to play for Southampton at an acceptable cost.

It has not been easy to get in a decent striker in the last ten years apart from Ings who had injury issues the only other one I can recall was Long who ran around a great deal and seldom scored.

Also there is a lot of competition in the PL with clubs with more resources than us.

I am not sure it is incompetence that we are not getting the right players in the PL we seem to get them alright when we are Billy Big Bollix in the other leagues

That said how come Ivan Toney was snapped up by Brentford and how is the ex Celtic player Edourd? doing at Crystal Palace.

There are no young strikers coming through either which is not helping either so lets hope Ballard does.

We seem to be producing Championship and League 1 Strikers