Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

So assuming Lavia and JWP go, that's around £100m in sales. Will much of that get re-invested or will Dragan claw it back to offset his losses so far.

Feel sorry for Tella ... rips up the championship last season while Tino lies on a couch and he gets the big payday. Bizarre. 

I assume there is a reason SR is trying to get top dollar for all these players getting top division football.

Is it to recoup the amount of money spent on buying the club and 60 million what ever it was the last window. 

Could they be preparing to dump the club and run for the hills.

In jest of course, but a tiny bit of me thinking there is an exit strategy being formatted here. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Dragon_man said:

So assuming Lavia and JWP go, that's around £100m in sales. Will much of that get re-invested or will Dragan claw it back to offset his losses so far.

Feel sorry for Tella ... rips up the championship last season while Tino lies on a couch and he gets the big payday. Bizarre

Tella gets a chance to rip up the championship again, and Tino gets to swap the couch for a bench. Tino will spend another year barely playing football again - loads of cash, but poor from a development perspective. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Feel sorry for Tella ... rips up the championship last season while Tino lies on a couch and he gets the big payday. Bizarre. 

Not bizarre at all. In fact entirely normal. 

• Like 2

Just while I was typing out my post. Great minds and all that😂

1 minute ago, Dragon_man said:

Is it bizarre though? Bottom line is Newcastle (and I think many of us) acknowledge that Tino has far greater potential than Tella.

I do feel a bit for him though in that Burnley, at least at this moment, don't appear to value him highly enough to make a permanent move for him.

In the words of the million dollar man. " everybody has a price". Tellas hasn't been met yet.

1 minute ago, Saint Gifford said:

I assume there is a reason SR is trying to get top dollar for all these players getting top division football.

Is it to recoup the amount of money spent on buying the club and 60 million what ever it was the last window. 

In jest of course, but a tiny bit of me thinking there is an exit strategy being formatted here. 

I'm not sure why you get that impression at all. The main difference between us and other championship clubs is that we have largely held fir on sales to get what we deserve in terms of value. 

• Like 3

BBC report stating that Caicedo won’t be going anywhere this summer. Which might help drive up interest in Lavia.  Or just drive up what Chelsea pay Brighton for Caicedo.

Hopefully the former - anywhere but Liverpool 😁

6 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Tino £40M (£25M)

Salisu €20M (£17M)

DCC €5 guaranteed (£4.25M)

Diallo €5-8M (£4.25/6.5M)

Orsic €4M (£3.5M)

So thats a total of £53Million.. and you'd expext us to sale possibly,

Lyanco, KWP, Perraud, ABK, JWP, Lavia, Aribo, Djenepo, Adams and Onuachu. 

Edited by SaintsFan86

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Probably because we see Bazunu as first choice so need someone who is prepared to essentially be a backup keeper. Not saying I agree with it but that will be the thinking. 

I haven't been pleased with Bazunu but I don't think he's as bad as many on here make out. Like a lot of others, with far more experience under their belt, he fell victim to the organizational, tactical and motivational gong show that was last season, and the defensive chopping and changing. He's 21, and most keepers peak in their late-twenties/early-thirties. We're clearly not going to bring in a #1 keeper, so I think it's time to park the negativity and give him a chance to develop.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

I haven't been pleased with Bazunu but I don't think he's as bad as many on here make out. Like a lot of others, with far more experience under their belt, he fell victim to the organizational, tactical and motivational gong show that was last season, and the defensive chopping and changing. He's 21, and most keepers peak in their late-twenties/early-thirties. We're clearly not going to bring in a #1 keeper, so I think it's time to park the negativity and give him a chance to develop.

sweet - he could be good in 7-10 years then! 

2 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

We’ve supposedly made around £60m from Salisu, Tino and a loan fee for DCC. If we add in Lavia and JWP it won’t be far short of £150m.

Ive no idea why you feel sorry for Tella, unlike Tino, he’s never done anything in the Premier League. There’s nothing at all stopping Newcastle buying Tella for £40m, other than the fact that he simply isn’t that good.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

There's some strange posts on here sometimes.

sports Republic haven't gone to a centralised model for staff just to get rid of the top club.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

Sorry but nothing that's said on an internet forum is stopping him from developing.

I don't buy the "he was a victim of being in a shit team piece". I get he is young and will make a mistake or two, but if he carries on as he is, he will cost us points this season for sure.

Your argument that he's 21 and won't peak for another 8 or 9 years is all the more reason to bring in a 1st choice GK and let Baz play understudy for a while.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I don't buy the "he was a victim of being in a shit team piece". I get he is young and will make a mistake or two, but if he carries on as he is, he will cost us points this season for sure.

We’re not going to win every game this season, all our players are going to cost us points along the way. There will be games when the forward players can’t fashion a single goal in 90+ minutes and there will be games where our defenders make mistakes and we don’t keep a clean sheet.

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You’d rather we didn’t sign him at all?

A bit extreme. There's absolutely middle ground between not including a 40-50% sell on clause and no signing the player. 

Even if it means pay an extra few £m upfront but bring the % down.. we'd have benefitted in the long run. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

If Chelsea's cut is anywhere as near as reported, then its terrible business from the previous regime. 

It was great business. The kid was exactly that, and was worth a punt at £5m. It worked out, and we had a great year from him before he got injured. We then made a several hundred percent return on our investment. On no assessment was that terrible business. 

• Like 25

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

A bit extreme. There's absolutely middle ground between not including a 40-50% sell on clause and no signing the player. 

Even if it means pay an extra few £m upfront but bring the % down.. we'd have benefitted in the long run. 

All you’re really saying there is, "with hindsight it’d be better if Chelsea agreed to a bunch of stuff which entitled them to much less money." You don’t get the best players from Chelsea and Man City’s academies without making serious compromises on sell on clauses. These clubs aren’t stupid, they know full well their best talent could be worth £60m plus in a couple of years, they aren’t going to forfeit that for the price of Haaland’s wristwatch.

• Like 12

31 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Tino has proved he can cope with the demands of the Premier League whereas Tella has only thrived in the Championship.

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

Who says that was an option? The club got the kid, we got service, we made cash. All good. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

I think he will end up being a decent keeper. My problem is he isn't one at the moment and is too young to be first choice for a promotion chasing team. Hopefully I'm wrong but I haven't seen anything to give me any more confidence yet. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

So why not buy a keeper in his late twenties/early thirties instead of weakening our chances of an early return to the Premier League with a youngster still learning his trade?

Think the deal for Tino was a good one and glad we got Newcastle to more than double their initial bid.  I'd have liked to keep Tino but there were a few question marks over the injury and whether he could get back to what he was, more injuries etc.  In addition he suffered stamina wise in his first season, struggled to finish games and needed to be dropped before his injury.  I'm not sure I'd be 100% certain he'd last a full championship season anyway.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Dman said:

The middle ground is called ‘he signs for Brighton for £15mil instead’

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wild-saint said:

If SR really have their sights on promotion they should use 5m of the Tino cash for JWPs wages for another year and tell him he ain’t going to West Ham.

I get the sentiment, but JWP won't be the difference between staying put or going up imo. The difference will be a solid ball playing CB, and a striker who can finish and create a bit for himself. I'd rather cash in, source a decent championship level replacement, and splash the cash to strengthen where we're week. 

• Like 1

Just now, SaintsFan86 said:

Who honestly buys JWP now.

Yep. I've been shot down for saying that the PL market for him is a small one. Villa were apparently keen but that ship appears to have sailed. Brighton look for players they can cash in on. I can't see him dislodging Reed at Fulham. Other than the minnows, I can't see where else he would get regular starts. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dman said:

Also wishing we’d paid higher upfront fees for Edozie, Bazunu and Larios or is it only if they turn out to be top class?

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think he will end up being a decent keeper. My problem is he isn't one at the moment and is too young to be first choice for a promotion chasing team. Hopefully I'm wrong but I haven't seen anything to give me any more confidence yet. 

9 minutes ago, saintant said:

So why not buy a keeper in his late twenties/early thirties instead of weakening our chances of an early return to the Premier League with a youngster still learning his trade?

I hear you - totally. All I'm saying is that I don't think he's as bad as some claim, and that I think he will improve - out of the everyday pressure of playing on a losing team committed to a tactical package that was never going to work. If you can't score goals, every defensive mistake - whoever makes it - will kill you.

The club knows he's not performing at the required standard, but - whether we like it or not - clearly don't view a new #1 keeper as a priority. They may well be giving him until the January window to turn things around.

Regardless, I find the constant Bazunu slagging - even blaming him for goals that weren't his fault - quite frustrating.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wild-saint said:

Great deal my arse. Top player and if Newcastle felt there was a risk of the injury recurring or him not being the player he was before his injury then they wouldn't fork out £40m.

SR seem to be happy to sell anyone that meets their valuation. Assuming we get acceptable bids for JWP, Lavia, KWP,  Sulamana, Alcaraz, Tella, Adams then we will be left with the absolute dross. I can only assume the only reason Alcaraz isnt likely to be going is because he actually wants to stay rather than the club saying we wont sell. 

Time will tell how much of any money generated will be spent on decent quality replacements. 

Jesus wept.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BotleySaint said:

It's a shame to lose such a bright spark but it's a good deal for us. And at least I won't have to spend the season fearing the worst every time he goes down!

This is my view. When he returned against Brighton I was grimacing at every challenge and tackle, felt like Rodriguez all over again. Would have been the same throughout the season in the Championship, a tough division for a young player carrying an injury. Realistically we went into summer with five or six players likely to be coveted by Prem clubs, if the window closes and we’ve hung on to one or two it’s a result.

Edited by Miltonaggro
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

I hear you - totally. All I'm saying is that I don't think he's as bad as some claim, and that I think he will improve - out of the everyday pressure of playing on a losing team committed to a tactical package that was never going to work. If you can't score goals, every defensive mistake - whoever makes it - will kill you.

The club knows he's not performing at the required standard, but - whether we like it or not - clearly don't view a new #1 keeper as a priority. They may well be giving him until the January window to turn things around.

Regardless, I find the constant Bazunu slagging - even blaming him for goals that weren't his fault - quite frustrating.

Some of the less perceptive on here need a scapegoat. It makes it easier to understand

Everyone has his price at any club in world football, and I'd say a £40m deal for someone we signed for £4m and has been injured for 13months isn't something to be sniffed at.

Our model is about finding young kids, giving them a platform and selling them for a profit. We have made around £20m on him, that can't be sniffed at - so our model has clearly worked here.

It's a shame, as I thought he'd feel inclined to stay given we'd nurtured him for a year - but it's a good opportunity for him, I doubt he'll play a great deal though.