Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Bit gutting as thought we might have had a chance to keep him, but realistically once Newcastle were in we had no chance.

Anything near £40m would be fantastic business really - he was top quality for half a season, faded then done his ACL. Hope for his sake he fully recovers and kicks on, will be a top player.

• Like 5

Found this:

Saints paid £4m for him in 2021
- There is a clause in the deal that Chelsea take a cut of the profit on any future sale to a third club
- However, the bigger the profit, the more the Chelsea % of the deal increases on a sliding scale
- Effectively, this was so that if he became a star, both teams would make £20-£30m each
- If he was decent but not quite a star, then Saints would recoup a higher % of the money
- Example 1: Saints agree to sell Tino for £30m, then we keep £18m and Chelsea get £12m
- Example 2: Saints agree to sell Tino for £50m, then we keep £28m and Chelsea get £22m

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coalman said:

On the one hand, sad to see Tino go. But also if we get decent money for someone coming back from that kind of knee injury it's not a bad outcome.

Was always going to happen with his fairly low wage. It’s a position we currently have covered - with aaron’s potentially on the way - and so to get some money in is a good deal. It’s a risk with how his knee will hold up tbh. 

9 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

I really like Tino, but you cant turn down £35m + £5m add ons. That's a brilliant bit of business.

No guarantee he'll get back to the same level as he was at before his injury. 

This is the crux, Newcastle are loaded but this is a bit of a punt.  If he stays fit and returns to his best they've got a very good player, but one hell of a risk.

• Like 4

Sky's Transfer centre saying it's 32 upfront, but add-ons meeting the 40m valuation.

Newcastle have agreed a deal with Southampton to sign right-back Tino Livramento.

Eddie Howe's side will pay an initial fee of £32m for Livramento, with further performance-related add-ons on top. 

Sky Sports News understands Saints are satisfied that they have received their valuation of Livramento in a package they believe could rise to £40m.

I guess we'll never know the actual net value we get, especially given the Chelsea profit contract part
Still, as others have said, seems pretty good business for a player who we're not certain will return to his pre-injury form especially as it's one of the few areas we're ok in, now that Manning has come in.

He should get through the medical - there was nothing from the last match…just a knock to an ankle and he was clearly due to be rested for tomorrow probably at the insistence of Newcastle. Good deal for Saints, but let’s hope we keep KWP with Bree a backup and use the money on a very good striker or CB.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

He should get through the medical - there was nothing from the last match…just a knock to an ankle and he was clearly due to be rested for tomorrow probably at the insistence of Newcastle. Good deal for Saints, but let’s hope we keep KWP with Bree a backup and use the money on a very good striker or CB.

Bang on we need to invest that in a first team starter not promising youngster or one for future profit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I'm sure the oil barons will be interested to have a poke around his ACL surgeries is what I meant

• Like 1

Great deal my arse. Top player and if Newcastle felt there was a risk of the injury recurring or him not being the player he was before his injury then they wouldn't fork out £40m.

SR seem to be happy to sell anyone that meets their valuation. Assuming we get acceptable bids for JWP, Lavia, KWP,  Sulamana, Alcaraz, Tella, Adams then we will be left with the absolute dross. I can only assume the only reason Alcaraz isnt likely to be going is because he actually wants to stay rather than the club saying we wont sell. 

Time will tell how much of any money generated will be spent on decent quality replacements. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

KWP better not be going if Tino has. Would rather have kept Tino over KWP, tbh. I like them both, but the ceiling is higher with Tino. It's a good deal for us, can't deny that, just sad it happened, and to them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

GIF by Pure Noise Records

Did we really or did they lose their nerve on a player that has risk associated with him? Seems the deal is actually not going to deliver the £40m we believe Saints wanted, but it still represents a good deal. Hopefully it will show the bin dippers and West Ham that we actually do mean to stick to our valuations…shit or get off the pan!

Just now, wild-saint said:

SR seem to be happy to sell anyone that meets their valuation. 

Umm…..that’s how it works !

Swap SR and type Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Barcelona, whoever you want, that’s the mechanics of transfers.

Its fortunate they are playing hardball with the valuations, not many relegated clubs are that fortunate, hence West Ham and Liverpool getting stroppy cos we aren’t rolling over!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Great deal my arse. Top player and if Newcastle felt there was a risk of the injury recurring or him not being the player he was before his injury then they wouldn't fork out £40m.

SR seem to be happy to sell anyone that meets their valuation. Assuming we get acceptable bids for JWP, Lavia, KWP,  Sulamana, Alcaraz, Tella, Adams then we will be left with the absolute dross. I can only assume the only reason Alcaraz isnt likely to be going is because he actually wants to stay rather than the club saying we wont sell. 

Time will tell how much of any money generated will be spent on decent quality replacements. 

So how much were you expecting for a player not played 90 in over a year after 2 injuries?

If course they are happy to sell we were relegated with a massive squad how else will we get what manager wants?

• Like 8

Gutted but not surprised to see Tino leaving, I am a little confused why he would choose to go to the team whose best player is at right back... but I'm sure Tino will overtake Trippier by the end of the season. Newcastle fans will love him.

Good deal all around. I fully expect him to be straight in the next England squad!

3 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Umm…..that’s how it works !

Swap SR and type Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Barcelona, whoever you want, that’s the mechanics of transfers.

Its fortunate they are playing hardball with the valuations, not many relegated clubs are that fortunate, hence West Ham and Liverpool getting stroppy cos we aren’t rolling over!

Agreed - it is exactly our stated model. Take a punt on youngsters from the big clubs and attempt to turn a profit. We'd be going against our stated strategy if we didn't sell him

Edited by Golac's Cunning Stunts

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

So how much were you expecting for a player not played 90 in over a year after 2 injuries?

If course they are happy to sell we were relegated with a massive squad how else will we get what manager wants?

This emphasises Wilcox's point about certain players possessing a Premier League value and others thinking that they do.  We are a Championship side and the 'natural' place for genuine talent is in the division above.  I find it refreshing that we appear to be holding firm with high valuations, the best a club in our position can do.  The second part of the strategy, reinvestment is the one we really need to work! 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Did we really or did they lose their nerve on a player that has risk associated with him? Seems the deal is actually not going to deliver the £40m we believe Saints wanted, but it still represents a good deal. Hopefully it will show the bin dippers and West Ham that we actually do mean to stick to our valuations…shit or get off the pan!

Yes I believe we did. With add ins it’ll be close to £40. It’s been reported that NUFC came in with 30m offer which we refused. 

Gutted to see Tino go.

Annoying also that all of these protracted summer departures seem to be speeding up on the eve of our opening league game. Fingers crossed that (a) we aren’t too disrupted/have enough to put away some of these early teams and (b) we have replacements lined up ready to go. As West Ham are finding, once everyone knows you’ve got cash burning a hole in your pocket then suddenly the price goes up and a few more games go by before they are in the door/up to match speed with a new team..

9 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

That’s the definition of a valuation, the price you’re willing to sell at. I’m quite happy with this deal, on the face of it. £32m rising to £40m for a RB, when we have three who should all be excellent at this level is a no brainier. It’ll literally be of zero detriment to the squad, nobody else in the Championship has KWP and Bree to chose from.

• Like 4