Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

6 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Tino and Lavia are probably the most likely transfers. We knew they wouldn't be with us long when they were bought.

Clubs simply cannot hold on to that much talent in the Championship. I also think Tino looks fragile, probably sensible to cash in.

The club just need to rip the plaster off and get it done. Bring in some money and slim the squad down.

Was always going to hurt, no point in prolonging it.

Selling one of our best starters is not, "slimming the squad down" - nor is signing a couple of new players with those funds.

What we need to do is shed a load of our CB's and attacking players that are not good enough and surplus to requirements. We need to make one big sale, and since it seems highly unlikely we can keep Lavia here long term (and motivated) it is likely to be him. Especially if we can get £50-60M for him.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If true then why did Martin just say no one injured? 

You sure he didn't say no new injuries? I haven't seen it but Tino was taken off at HT last weekend. 

I feel like if a deal was that close, we'd know.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Martin said mara and Sulemana the only ones injured so we have to assume the worst with this if the report is true. 

Let’s be realistic it’s not really a shock if Tino goes. I’m sure we will get good money for him. Shame but good luck to him.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

He isn’t injured I don’t think

Seems an odd thing for Martin to omit no? He seemed pretty candid in reference to other players. You'd think if he was going he would have just said as much in the press conference. It will become pretty obvious by tomorrow anyway. 

4 minutes ago, freshen up said:

If his head ain't in it there's little point in taking him.

If he's genuinely not playing because of interest in him, then I hope the deal is close - Doesn't send out a great message that we're willing to keep x if we then aren't going to play them - weakens our hand. 

Also goes back to the point i've been making - We'd be better to compromise, move on and replace, if we're not going to play them... 

I do wonder how disruptive it will be for us leaving it so late to move so many on (and having to settle new players into a new system 5 or so games into a season.. Its messy). 

If we get offered £50m odd for a kid who is coming back from an ACL then so be it. We can’t refuse that, keep KWP and Bree, Manning and Larios at LB. 

I still don’t understand how it’s a good move for Newcastle or Tino though, I’ve read they think he’s going to play LB, which doesn’t make sense at all. 

• Like 2

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

If we get offered £50m odd for a kid who is coming back from an ACL then so be it. We can’t refuse that, keep KWP and Bree, Manning and Larios at LB. 

I still don’t understand how it’s a good move for Newcastle or Tino though, I’ve read they think he’s going to play LB, which doesn’t make sense at all. 

Surely if anything Tripper will be moving to LB? He's played there loads for both club and country. 

But I have to disagree - Newcastle would be a great move for Tino.

I can't see us getting £50m, unfortunately. 

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Seems an odd thing for Martin to omit no? He seemed pretty candid in reference to other players. You'd think if he was going he would have just said as much in the press conference. It will become pretty obvious by tomorrow anyway. 

I very much doubt there is that much in it to be honest, this Matt seems a bit of a prick, he gets early info but only really divulges the stuff that gets him engagement.

I called him out about JWP (who was rested with 10 others) and Bednarek (who was rehabbing at home) its just as likely that Tino will travel later

Like you say I see no reason for Martin to omit info regarding Tino really

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Martins wording was a bit odd - not being deliberately obtuse but he was coming from a different direction. Said only one question over tmrw - then when asked about sulmana said he wasnt going cause injured. So to me that meant that there is one that is up in the air rather than only one that isnt available 

• Like 1

Reading this it was really a permanent deal for Caleta-Car. It was a clever loan deal to get around their financial restrictions.

https://sportwitness.co.uk/club-convinced-southampton-clever-deal-bypass-financial-scrutiny-saints-will-get-money-eventually/ 

Supposedly Lyon paid Southampton €1.54m up front for the loan, which will be used by Saints to pay Caleta-Car’s wages. And, no new salary appears on Lyon’s yearly bill.  This is accompanied by a 'compulsory' option to buy of €3.59m, as well as a bonus of €2.1m. Which means Saints more or less get the €5m for him.

Hopefully this means we didn't pay-off his contract either.  

• Like 4

Difficult press conference I think too. Timing wise and situation wise. 
not sure if I missed it, but wasn’t a direct question about JWP, which almost makes me think that the journalists were told not to directly ask about him, seems odd not to. 

He also wasn’t involved at all in the video the club posted yesterday with snippets from various players. Seems strange to not involve club captain? I know he was there, but this felt odd to me. 

One of those press conferences where he couldn’t really win regardless of what he said. 

• Like 1

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

not sure if I missed it, but wasn’t a direct question about JWP, which almost makes me think that the journalists were told not to directly ask about him, seems odd not to. 

He also wasn’t involved at all in the video the club posted yesterday with snippets from various players. Seems strange to not involve club captain? I know he was there, but this felt odd to me. 

One of those press conferences where he couldn’t really win regardless of what he said. 

Yes there was. Martin says is in the Squad for tomorrow "as things stand".

• Like 1

It’s a frustrating time and most of us assume we are going to lose JWP, Lavia probably Tino. That’s a good wedge of money. I go back to Martins comment we have 3 or 4 players lined up. He doesn’t seem like a blagger to me. As I keep on saying I cannot believe the trio of Wilcox, Mowbray and Martin havnt got at least one striker lined up. Again I refer to Martins comment the team we start with Friday will be different in a months time. 
I don’t even believe it will be a weaker team probably much better suited for a Championship surge. The situation is irritating but it’s obvious the time of the window shutting has been factored in.Assuming nothing really dramatic happens before tomorrow imagine the squad we will have. Yet again Martins demand to players that while they are in the Squad he expects 100% from the players it’s not unrealistic for us to play Lavia, JWP.

Despite my general optimism I’ve been a Saints supporter since I was a kid ( my grandmother , who lived in Archers Court used to take me to Football Combination matches ) I am aware Saints do have a habit of biting you back something’s tells me we will lose I will have to avoid the forums.

22 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

He’ll be second choice right back to an ageing Trippier in a season where they’ll play twice a week. He’s got a chance to learn from Trippier, take over him and cement his place in a team that is in the CL and in theory will be top 4 challengers for a while (they won’t imo this season). It’s a no brainer. 

And as I’ve said on here before he’s clearly been itching for the move so good luck to him, let’s replace him with Aarons and crack on. This is the nature of buying top young talents. Just a shame the injury stalled things. 

Edited by Fabrice29

12 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

There was.

11 hours ago, Hodgey said:

Good question - anyone know the answer to this. I’ve read in player biographies that when they leave they get their contract paid off, unless they put in a transfer request - which is why nobody does it. But equally that seems mad ie do players really get effectively two salaries for a couple of years ?, would make it extremely unattractive to sign anyone on a long contract. Think the answer lies somewhere in between where they get a ‘loyalty bonus’ which is maybe a % of their remaining contract ?

they get loyalty bonuses at the end of each season - simply for staying at the club for another season - or so it seems. Which is why players don't want to move before the end of the season - i.e. before the start of July.

Players contracts are in effect fixed term contracts - so if you want to get rid of them you have to pay-up the contract - unless there is a redundancy clause which defeats the object of a fixed term contract. It's why players wanting to leave clubs are often reluctant to put in a transfer request as that normally means the contract won't get paid up. 

The contracts would normally be paid-off as a lump sum - or maybe instalments for tax reasons.

Its also why players often get signing-on bonuses to compensate them for the money lost by 'walking away' from the contract at the previous club.

Normally the transfer fee from the buying club would be used to pay-off the contract and hopefully leave the selling club with a profit as well. But when you've got players on large and long term contracts that they are not worth they are hard to get rid off.  So you send them out on loan and pay a % of their salaries until what's left of their contracts is small enough that you can sell them.

Hoedt, Carillo and Lemina are all bad examples of this for Saints.  

The devil is in the detail of each contract though - and although there are standard clauses like loyalty bonuses there are probably differences in each contract as well.  

With football players its a case of 'never has so few been so overpaid by so many'

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Someone said Tino was seen hobbling after the game on Saturday so probably is injured, especially as he was featured in the media day images/videos the official aacount posted.

I can’t help but feel like RM would’ve just said if this were the case?

54 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I very much doubt there is that much in it to be honest, this Matt seems a bit of a prick, he gets early info but only really divulges the stuff that gets him engagement.

I called him out about JWP (who was rested with 10 others) and Bednarek (who was rehabbing at home) its just as likely that Tino will travel later

Like you say I see no reason for Martin to omit info regarding Tino really

Not really sure what you think Martin was omitting. He was asked specially about JWP, Lavia and Sulemana and answered accordingly. He also clearly said things could change and had changed at least twice this week already and also pointed out he wanted people who were ‘fully present and all in’. That suggests to me that things have changed this week regarding someone and he won’t be picking them because they aren’t ‘fully present and all in’. Feels like that’s Tino, who he wasn’t specifically asked about and who might have had notice late this week that things are getting closer on the move he wants, or he could just be injured and wasn’t asked about him.

And fwiw that Matt guy just reports what he hears from the training ground, it’s others that read far too much into it, for example you getting angry that he correctly told everyone JWP wouldn’t be playing against Bournemouth. All he did was state the facts. Same he’s done here with Tino.

Edited by Fabrice29

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

Except we scored 4 v Reading and 2 v Bournemouth Prem team.

Yes we did and as I said, we do have players that can score. However, 4 goals against a very poor Reading and two goals against a Bournemouth side that looked pretty poor for a Prem side is not really an arbiter I would argue, plus we ended up losing (but that’s another story!). AZ provided a much more realistic test commensurate with the Championship we’ll be competing in and we struggled to test their keeper at all.

10 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Someone said Tino was seen hobbling after the game on Saturday so probably is injured, especially as he was featured in the media day images/videos the official aacount posted.

Tino posted on social media after the game that he didn't have an injury and that it was planned for him to come off at HT.

3 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Just spoke with a mate who works for a sports agency - said he overheard someone talking about JWP "He hasn't travelled, the deal is done"

Make of that what you will. 

As you don't appear to bee in the CoT, I will take this information as complete bollox.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Just spoke with a mate who works for a sports agency - said he overheard someone talking about JWP "He hasn't travelled, the deal is done"

Ultimately the player wants the move and Moyes wants him so they'll make it happen. 

That's all i can share on the wider audience.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Romeo Lavia and James Ward-Prowse available for Southampton's Championship opener against Sheffield Wednesday, live on Sky Sports | Football News | Sky Sports

😎

Edited by tdmickey3

1 minute ago, SaintLondon said:

I seem to remember this is a forum and a transfer window section - was just passing on a rumour I heard. Next time I'll keep my mouth shut!

ignore the haters mate, keep posting. Jealousy is a horrible mistress.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Not really sure what you think Martin was omitting. He was asked specially about JWP, Lavia and Sulemana and answered accordingly. He also clearly said things could change and had changed at least twice this week already and also pointed out he wanted people who were ‘fully present and all in’. That suggests to me that things have changed this week regarding someone and he won’t be picking them because they aren’t ‘fully present and all in’. Feels like that’s Tino, who he wasn’t specifically asked about and who might have had notice late this week that things are getting closer on the move he wants. That’s all. 

And fwiw that Matt guy just reports what he hears from the training ground, it’s others that read far too much into it, for example you getting angry that he correctly told everyone JWP wouldn’t be playing against Bournemouth. All he did was state the facts. 

So like you stated he wasn’t clear about Tino, if, like you suggest, Tino’s head isn’t in it (would be a weird turn around from pre season tbh)

My issue with Matt is he gets more info then he makes out, so embellishes the negatives to drive engagement, which of course us fine, but does do my head in

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Thanks for this extra insight Turkish.

This seems to be more like the "The ringpiece of trust " to me . As we can see for ourselves there is loads of contradictory posting on the internet and in the old media . Some of it is fleetingly true but the end result is usually different . 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miltonaggro said:

Preferably both of those positions. 

Agreed but not sure Tino's fee will cover both.

Update - this new goalkeeper link proves that this club has been goalkeeper blind for the best part of a decade now. It's not difficult. Sign a decent one. FFS

Edited by DT

10 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

This seems to be more like the "The ringpiece of trust " to me . As we can see for ourselves there is loads of contradictory posting on the internet and in the old media . Some of it is fleetingly true but the end result is usually different . 😄

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies  others does not obtain peace of mind. Buddh… | Brainy quotes, Zen quotes,  Inspirational words

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, saint lard said:

I'm taking this article with a heavy pinch of salt. Newcastle have been briefing all through this process that the deal is close even when it wasn't, and there's a fair chance that Tino actually is injured 

• Like 1