Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Selling one of our best starters is not, "slimming the squad down" - nor is signing a couple of new players with those funds.

What we need to do is shed a load of our CB's and attacking players that are not good enough and surplus to requirements. We need to make one big sale, and since it seems highly unlikely we can keep Lavia here long term (and motivated) it is likely to be him. Especially if we can get £50-60M for him.

You can keep some but not all, those are the realities of being a Championship side. Plus I doubt we are completely in control of Tino and Lavia's contract.

Guess we'll see how it plays out.

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Someone said Tino was seen hobbling after the game on Saturday so probably is injured, especially as he was featured in the media day images/videos the official aacount posted.

He was in the training photos on the OS on Tuesday.

6 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I am not convinced Piroe is type needed we need a Lambert or Pelle type to lead line link up 

Fairly certain that is exactly what Piroe is - Fairly certain he's played in a deeper / 10 role before as well. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I am not convinced Piroe is type needed we need a Lambert or Pelle type to lead line link up 

A lot of Piroe's all round game reminds me of Lambert to be honest.  Van Hooijdonk more in the Pelle target man mode, but essentially we need a focal point for the attack, a player who takes chances and puts the ball in the net.  

• Like 6

image.png.4765d24582a709fb7295a9b3fe9f2fc0.png

Nyland signed with Championship club Bournemouth on a free transfer on 17 August 2021.[29] A week later, he made his debut for the club in the second round of the EFL Cup against former club Norwich City, conceding six goals in the process as the Cherries fell to a 0–6 defeat.[30] On 31st January 2022, Bournemouth and Nyland agreed to terminate his contract but he remained at the Cherries to train to assist with his injury recovery.

Should fit in nicely. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, macca155 said:

The Lavia transfer is uber complicated, lots of people involved. I'm sure City retain a strong hand and will be involved somewhere, same for Tino and Chelsea. When the club made these purchases somebody on here observed that they were a complicated long term loan deal. With the way the transfers are going that seems pretty accurate. 

Have to remember Lavia is still only 19 and time is on his side. His advisors and parents will be doing most of the work with this transfer along with Saints and Man City of  course. With the Euros up next year he needs European football, however if he goes to a suitable club he also needs to be playing. No point bench sitting he needs to play. However regardless how much we as fans think of him he'll remain a risk for whoever buys him, he certainly isn't the finished article and needs some hard minutes under his belt. Liverpool at the moment would seem to be an ideal club for him as they have a position ready for him and he'd probably develop there. If negotiations are really dead he'll play Friday, if he has a 'niggling' injury then we can safely assume that Liverpool are close to the deal and don't want him injured.

The Ward Prowse situation is completely different, no other club involved and he just isn't the sort to kick up a fuss. £30m is probably a fair price for him as a player, the rest is a sweetener to persuade Saints to sell. I still think Brighton will buy him, a much better fit for him and they have the cash.

I was wondering what manc and chels thought of all this? Manc put a buyback for Lavia for a reason, there is none on the other manc players. Phillips doesnt seem to be  Pepe fav. He prob wants him back after a few years with us. Not to be sold to a rival. Will we be overlooked for thier next star( they have quite a few, even the next KDB) if we mess up the "loan deal".??

Same for Chels, known star sign to us cheap with a buyback, another developement loan? 

As niether has been sold yet, U wounder if manc and chels will have a say in these moves. They have both shown they are exceptional tallents in the EPL, wouldn't those clubs want them back, just not so soon.

PIROE rumored to want to go to italy, he will be able to leave for free in Jan. Not seen a single link to us.

Edited by BERMUDASAINT
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Nyland signed with Championship club Bournemouth on a free transfer on 17 August 2021.[29] A week later, he made his debut for the club in the second round of the EFL Cup against former club Norwich City, conceding six goals in the process as the Cherries fell to a 0–6 defeat.[30] On 31st January 2022, Bournemouth and Nyland agreed to terminate his contract but he remained at the Cherries to train to assist with his injury recovery.

Should fit in nicely. 

Oh goody, the goalkeeper from VAR-gate back in 2020 who went on conceded 6 goals to Norwich in the cup playing for Boscombe.

Definitely a "Saints-y" signing.. 

58 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

This seems to be more like the "The ringpiece of trust " to me . As we can see for ourselves there is loads of contradictory posting on the internet and in the old media . Some of it is fleetingly true but the end result is usually different . 😄

My advice to you is to beware of false prophets

10 minutes ago, josebaiw said:

Oh goody, the goalkeeper from VAR-gate back in 2020 who went on conceded 6 goals to Norwich in the cup playing for Boscombe.

Definitely a "Saints-y" signing.. 

I am from Norway, and my thoughts about Nyland to Saints is: NO, no, no, no, no, no NO! Oh, please God NO!

Edited by bugenhagen
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Should fit in nicely. 

Guess it finalises that Baz is no1 this season.

1 hour ago, East Kent Saint said:

This seems to be more like the "The ringpiece of trust " to me . As we can see for ourselves there is loads of contradictory posting on the internet and in the old media . Some of it is fleetingly true but the end result is usually different . 😄

What ever its called, it certainly has couple of standout ringpieces in its midst.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, James said:

Isn’t this TacticallyMatt guy just a BS merchant anyway?

No, he has been spot on this summer. Clearly got a contact in the club.

Actually, the opposite of BS to be fair to him. For instance, he knows Tino isn't in the travelling squad, but hasn't speculated as to why. Just says what he knows. Could be getting sold, could be injured... but he's not speculating like others would to get better interactions.

He has broken a number of our stories this summer. Usually just observations that certain players are/aren't in the building or travelling with the team. Seems to me that his contact is fairly low-level within Saints. Very different from the briefings that Blackmore, Alfie House and (to be fair to him) Crook get from the higher-ups.

I would consider him our best insider this summer outside of the COT, obviously.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Should fit in nicely. 

Name wrung a bell.  Nyland originally linked with us back in 2015, before his reputation was cemented - https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/12929027.gossip-may-3-southampton-plan-transfer-of-molde-keeper-orjan-nyland/

Think I'd prefer Stuart Taylor back to be honest.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

FB_IMG_1691063589634.jpg

Hope so! Every big club fan i speak to is shocked how low the offer for JWP have been, they all rate him very highly!

This so far has been a one club man, box to box player, great stamina, tidy player and got into the England squad! 

Will be the best free kick taker in the EPL soon, imagine the publicity of that alone, it will be world FB news!  But wetspam get to have that? We loose our next banner boy (like RL) for 30 mil? Seems crazy to sell him after building a team around him, not being under pressure finacially, and pushing to go straight back up. 

JWP  IS MR SOUTHAMPTON.......for now 😭

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

they get loyalty bonuses at the end of each season - simply for staying at the club for another season - or so it seems. Which is why players don't want to move before the end of the season - i.e. before the start of July.

Players contracts are in effect fixed term contracts - so if you want to get rid of them you have to pay-up the contract - unless there is a redundancy clause which defeats the object of a fixed term contract. It's why players wanting to leave clubs are often reluctant to put in a transfer request as that normally means the contract won't get paid up. 

The contracts would normally be paid-off as a lump sum - or maybe instalments for tax reasons.

Its also why players often get signing-on bonuses to compensate them for the money lost by 'walking away' from the contract at the previous club.

Normally the transfer fee from the buying club would be used to pay-off the contract and hopefully leave the selling club with a profit as well. But when you've got players on large and long term contracts that they are not worth they are hard to get rid off.  So you send them out on loan and pay a % of their salaries until what's left of their contracts is small enough that you can sell them.

Hoedt, Carillo and Lemina are all bad examples of this for Saints.  

The devil is in the detail of each contract though - and although there are standard clauses like loyalty bonuses there are probably differences in each contract as well.  

With football players its a case of 'never has so few been so overpaid by so many'

To confirm, they don’t tend to pay off contracts, the new team effectively just takes on or adjusts the terms of the existing contract

If you look at end of year accounts its very clear we aren’t liable for the remaining term if a transfer is successfully negotiated 

RM said a couple of times in the presser about things changing before tomorrow’s game.

Sounded like he was expecting something to happen i.e Tino.

He also said we have far too many players and wouldn’t be signing new ones until some had gone.

They also had to improve the first 11 as I heard it so seems strange we are signing this keeper.

He empathised that six players would not even be travelling due to numbers and having to run separate training sessions.

Going to need to see a few more leave yet before quality replacements are brought in.

30 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Name wrung a bell.  Nyland originally linked with us back in 2015, before his reputation was cemented - https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/12929027.gossip-may-3-southampton-plan-transfer-of-molde-keeper-orjan-nyland/

What's kasey Keller doing nowadays? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Actually, the opposite of BS to be fair to him. For instance, he knows Tino isn't in the travelling squad, but hasn't speculated as to why. Just says what he knows. Could be getting sold, could be injured... but he's not speculating like others would to get better interactions.

He has broken a number of our stories this summer. Usually just observations that certain players are/aren't in the building or travelling with the team. Seems to me that his contact is fairly low-level within Saints. Very different from the briefings that Blackmore, Alfie House and (to be fair to him) Crook get from the higher-ups.

I would consider him our best insider this summer outside of the COT, obviously.

His source is obviously something to do with the first team because he knew when Manning was at the training ground and other things about attendance. I'd believe what he says personally. 

36 minutes ago, bugenhagen said:

I am from Norway, and my thoughts about Nyland to Saints is: NO, no, no, no, no, no NO! Oh, please God NO!

Yeah…if that’s the level of quality Wilcox intends to bring in, third place or not, we’re in for a torrid season by the time the best players leave. Promotion push my arse! 😉

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

I've just followed him on Twitter so that is a massive endorsement for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Good for us KK. The one GK loanee I really rated in that era was Richard Wright. Thought he really looked the part in his half dozen or so games for us. 

Richard Wright was a very good loan signing. But we shouldn't overlook the contribution of Kevin Miller either. He came in at the end of the 2005/6 season when I was quite worried about relegation and in 7 games with him in goal we won 5 and drew 1.

48 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

What ever its called, it certainly has couple of standout ringpieces in its midst.

Latest going round the CoT is that you used to have an account under the name; Chapel_End and Always_SFC... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That’s a shame.

But to look at the positive side of things, he was really poor across pre-season and we’ve still got KWP for tomorrow at least. Get Max Aarons in for a fraction of the price and I don’t think we’ll be a million times worse off.

Great move for him though, learn off Trippier and has time to properly heal.

• Like 1

Escalated quickly. Shame to see him go, as I think he could have been a similar player to the Bale we had in a full-back position in the Championship with us. However, there's also no guarantee that he would return to previous form given his injury and we do still have KWP, a more than capable right-back for this level.

Hopefully we've got a good fee from the limitless budget of Newcastle and allows ourselves to move a bit more on our own targets.

8 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Given the tenuous situation with the likes of Tino and Lavia, our young starlets, this is all about Saints making as much profit as possible.  If that is the case here then comfortable with it.  In many ways getting the big saleable assets away with decent time left in the window is the nearest thing we are going to get to an advantage.  Focus on getting a win tomorrow then Martin can confirm to Wilcox who he wants as replacement(s).    

1 hour ago, Miltonaggro said:

Are we trying to assemble a collection of the world’s shittest goalkeepers? 

Talkshite saying £40million for Tino. 

Unbelievable deal if true. 

Edited by Osvaldorama
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2