Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

I think we have done pretty well on this deal. There have really been three Tino's. The first one was the "can't miss" superstar of his first season. The second one was the Tino who occasionally seemed to shut-off mentally and lose the player he was marking, and the third one is whatever he's going to be after a very serious injury.

As sorry as I am to see him go, after watching Tino #1, we've de-risked our investment and we now have money in the bank to strengthen where we need to strengthen - with more to come from Lavia.

Hang onto your hats - this could get exciting.

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, Winchester Red said:

You'd also struggle to get the good kids to sign for us if they could see the previous successful ones not being allowed to leave when the next level beckons.

Yup… but Im certainly encouraged that SR have a bigger backbone than the Gao regimes

We’re largely powerless when the big clubs come calling, but glad we dug in and got what looks like a great fee

Someone had to leave, be it KWP or Tino (or both) we’re more than able to cover the RB position

Its a shame, but also, realistically, a good bit of business 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dman said:

Fairly certain that is exactly what Piroe is - Fairly certain he's played in a deeper / 10 role before as well. 

Yeah watched that Russel Martin masterclass the other day and obefemi was the striker and he had piroe as a no.10 type for that game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

That’s the definition of a valuation, the price you’re willing to sell at. I’m quite happy with this deal, on the face of it. £32m rising to £40m for a RB, when we have three who should all be excellent at this level is a no brainier. It’ll literally be of zero detriment to the squad, nobody else in the Championship has KWP and Bree to chose from.

Thanks for confirming what wrote. The valuations they have set seem to reflect decent value for the seller and but not particularly overpriced for the buying club. Our valuations certainly don't seem to be at a level where we are actively discouraging players leaving.  In TL case the media messages from local ITK journalists seemed to suggest he was happy to stay, so why are we selling at any price?  

I hope we don't receive a bid of circa £30m for Alcaraz as I suspect they will take it when he has also indicated he is happy to stay. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

I was wondering what manc and chels thought of all this? Manc put a buyback for Lavia for a reason, there is none on the other manc players. Phillips doesnt seem to be  Pepe fav. He prob wants him back after a few years with us. Not to be sold to a rival. Will we be overlooked for thier next star( they have quite a few, even the next KDB) if we mess up the "loan deal".??

Same for Chels, known star sign to us cheap with a buyback, another developement loan? 

As niether has been sold yet, U wounder if manc and chels will have a say in these moves. They have both shown they are exceptional tallents in the EPL, wouldn't those clubs want them back, just not so soon.

PIROE rumored to want to go to italy, he will be able to leave for free in Jan. Not seen a single link to us.

My thoughts exactly, neither deal was 'normal'. If either are sold I bet it only happens with City or Chelsea's approval.

14 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Thanks for confirming what wrote. The valuations they have set seem to reflect decent value for the seller and but not particularly overpriced for the buying club. Our valuations certainly don't seem to be at a level where we are actively discouraging players leaving.  In TL case the media messages from local ITK journalists seemed to suggest he was happy to stay, so why are we selling at any price?  

I hope we don't receive a bid of circa £30m for Alcaraz as I suspect they will take it when he has also indicated he is happy to stay. 

I think you need a bit of a reality check. We should count ourselves lucky that we aren't rolling over and getting players out. I read somewhere that Leeds lost three players that cost them many multiple millions and got a tiny amount for them. Getting 40 million in the championship is incredible business even if the player itself is a loss. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Sorry if we need to trim down and still recruit decent players how do we achieve that fees like 100m for Tino?

How do you actively discourage a player and agent that only wants Prem football and not a 40% wage cut?

• Like 1

That is an excellent deal for Tino. That takes the kitty well above £50m so far, and that is likely to be doubled with Lavia.

That should help keep at least one of Tella or JWP.

If you doubt our strength go and take a look at the other Championship dealings.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

He was but so far Ive not seen anything I wouldn’t describe as average

He’s more than ok for a championship squad player though to be fair

He's not great but as you say,  certainly good enough to be a back up right back in this league. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Sorry if covered before but seen rumours Chelsea have a 40% sell on, so almost half of that will end up back in London.

I think we’ll end up with 23-25m after Chelseas cut, but thats 18-20m of profit on a kid thats played about 25 games

Not really worth sniffing at that tbh

• Like 2

Excellent value on that deal for Saints.  It also shows other clubs (West Ham, I'm looking at you) and our players that, while the club will allow players to welcome to leave, thy won't be held to ransom on price.  Getting somewhere around £75M for Tino and Lavia would represent great business and go some way to offsetting almost every other failed transfer that has happened in the past 12 months.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wild-saint said:

Great deal my arse. Top player and if Newcastle felt there was a risk of the injury recurring or him not being the player he was before his injury then they wouldn't fork out £40m.

SR seem to be happy to sell anyone that meets their valuation. Assuming we get acceptable bids for JWP, Lavia, KWP,  Sulamana, Alcaraz, Tella, Adams then we will be left with the absolute dross. I can only assume the only reason Alcaraz isnt likely to be going is because he actually wants to stay rather than the club saying we wont sell. 

Time will tell how much of any money generated will be spent on decent quality replacements. 

No way Newcastle or anyone else would be able to foresee whether Tino's very bad injuries will affect his future performances. The only way we'd ever have been able to keep him is if he suffers a recurrence or demonstrates that he'll never fully recover to be anything like the player his potential shows he could be. For the here and now it's a very good piece of business for us and I wish Tino all the best at Newcastle.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

David Button is one of the worst goalkeepers i’ve seen live and the fact it’s now probably him instead of another shit goalkeeper in Nyland is just depressing. 

i thought he was off to Reading subject to their transfer embargo. He's 34 so if he were to come here i doubt it is as first choice, more of a replacement for willy

7 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

David Button is one of the worst goalkeepers i’ve seen live and the fact it’s now probably him instead of another shit goalkeeper in Nyland is just depressing. 

We need a new number one keeper not a third place one. Is the club not serious about promotion? I'd be amazed if we make top six with the current set up.

3 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

i thought he was off to Reading subject to their transfer embargo. He's 34 so if he were to come here i doubt it is as first choice, more of a replacement for willy

You have to wonder why bother then? All this rubbish squad filler is what’s gotten us where we are. Should be looking for a Bazunu replacement not a bench sitter. 

• Like 2

Just now, Stu Man Do said:

You have to wonder why bother then? All this rubbish squad filler is what’s gotten us where we are. Should be looking for a Bazunu replacement not a bench sitter. 

Probably because we see Bazunu as first choice so need someone who is prepared to essentially be a backup keeper. Not saying I agree with it but that will be the thinking. 

Exciting only in a sense he’s one of those players you can shout ‘go on nipper’ at.

Defensive liability on a par with TAA, with the exception of the output offensively from TAA.

Has a huge potential but huge uncertainty especially post injury as to whether he’d ever fulfil it.

no huge loss but best wishes to him.

2 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Bit gutting as thought we might have had a chance to keep him, but realistically once Newcastle were in we had no chance.

Anything near £40m would be fantastic business really - he was top quality for half a season, faded then done his ACL. Hope for his sake he fully recovers and kicks on, will be a top player.

This. Its a bonkers world/market when half a season sees a £35m rise. What a windfall for Chelsea, bet they can't believe their luck ...

except when he goes to Saudi for £100m in a season's time 😂 having been a bench warmer and injured of course for most of that season.