Things to look forward to in The Championship?

whelk

6 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

we will absolutely lord it financially over say Plymouth, and they will probably win League 1.  Our financial clout (with parachute payments) will blow most championship teams away...

that is the reality...

I imagine we will have a large debt to service….

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cabrone said:

Football is relative, most fans just want to see their team win regardless of the division. Our promotion run out of league 1 was infinitely more fun than this season.

The 08/09 season was more fun than this one. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

The 08/09 season was more fun than this one. 

We've scored 24 goals in 30 games, winning only two at home, have we ever had less to cheer about?

14 minutes ago, JRM said:

We've scored 24 goals in 30 games, winning only two at home, have we ever had less to cheer about?

Shockingly bad isn’t it. I’d much rather watch Jan Paul Saeijs score a last minute free kick at Watford en route to league one and administration than this current shower of shite. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Shockingly bad isn’t it. I’d much rather watch Jan Paul Saeijs score a last minute free kick at Watford en route to league one and administration than this current shower of shite. 

Agreed. They weren't up to it, but at least the kids thrown in that season were giving it their all and looking like they cared. They tried, and that was important. 

This current team is so unlikeable, it's unreal. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RedArmy said:

And what a free kick that was, remember our support being good at Vicarage Road that night, it wasn't all bad. 

Obviously crowds will drop, but I personally know of two long standing Kingsland season ticket holders who had the same seats since we moved to St Mary's,  gave up last year after becoming disillusioned talking about returning for the Championship. Plenty of people who haven't been brought up on a diet of Sky Sports super Sunday hype know there's plenty of life outside of the corrupt "best league in the world" 

• Like 4

Nights like the Play Off Semi Final at Pride Park, still remember Crab Lungs and me being bundled under a surge of fans after Rasiaks last minute goal.

Even though we lost that team which was pieced together after Billy Davies team had kicked the sh*t out of us in the first leg, had more fight, passion and guts than the team we have now. 

• Like 2

Agree with most of what's been said.  Cheaper seats.  Fewer supporters but better atmos, different atmos anyway.  More chance of going to the occasional away game (I'm not a ST holder).  Easy availability of tickets at short notice.  

I'm guessing there won't be any streams so I'll have to get off my arse and actually buy a ticket - supporting the team/club.  

Sadly I think this forum will lose a lot of support.  I've always preferred forums but they are losing ground to Twitter and all that, god knows why.  Also, without the percentage of posters who rely on streams, which I imagine will not be available next season, I think it might get pretty quiet on here.  Always better to judge a game from the ground though, TV never gives a decent perspective.  Plus I usually hate the commentary, end up muting them.  

Edited by Manuel

37 minutes ago, Manuel said:

I'm guessing there won't be any streams 

Isn't every game on iFollow or whatever it's called although it's £10 per match I think.

My mate is a Boro fan and he's got some sort of chipped box or something which allows him to watch any game for free.

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Isn't every game on iFollow or whatever it's called although it's £10 per match I think.

My mate is a Boro fan and he's got some sort of chipped box or something which allows him to watch any game for free.

Cheers.  Don't know much about that.  I guess next season all this stuff will come to the forefront. 

1 minute ago, Manuel said:

Cheers.  Don't know much about that.  I guess next season all this stuff will come to the forefront. 

Ifollow is available for every game except 3pm Saturday ones (except for those outside the UK where it is) so think you can still get a stream 

33 minutes ago, JRM said:

Ifollow is available for every game except 3pm Saturday ones (except for those outside the UK where it is) so think you can still get a stream 

Yes every game is on a stream

3 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Can I just throw into the mix…getting rid of the utter turgid,uninspiring,non motivational bloody brass band too.🤷🏻‍♂️

That's got nothing to do with the championship,  personally I like them especially if I pass them outside the ground , Saints Brass they are called I think, prefer that to non descript chart music being blurted out at top volume 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, JRM said:

That's got nothing to do with the championship,  personally I like them especially if I pass them outside the ground , Saints Brass they are called I think, prefer that to non descript chart music being blurted out at top volume 

If they do keep with them, they should just do the (short) 'death march' thing out of site in the tunnel at the Chapel/Kingsland corner and burst into the upbeat version as they emerge into the stadium, it's depressing enough as it is...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Cat said:

All midweek champ games are available on sky sports red button I think.

Looking forward to the Championship. However I think it’ll take a season to consolidate the changes that will be needed before a proper push for promotion the season after. I take solace from what Burnley have done given the issues they had. Anyone for Neil Warnock as manager?

38 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

Looking forward to the Championship. However I think it’ll take a season to consolidate the changes that will be needed before a proper push for promotion the season after. I take solace from what Burnley have done given the issues they had. Anyone for Neil Warnock as manager?

I don't think we can afford to waste a year 'consolidating', it's next year or bust for us I reckon. Need to put all effort into a top 2 finish for next year.

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think we can afford to waste a year 'consolidating', it's next year or bust for us I reckon. Need to put all effort into a top 2 finish for next year.

I don’t disagree with you but given we’re going to have to take a chainsaw to the whole structure from (hopefully) the top down is it achievable? 

Our promotion season under Adkins was great but in general the Championship is shit. It’s bollocks to say the atmosphere in the grounds is better, you don’t get the Premier League tourist nob heads but they are just replaced with row after row of empty seats. Shit players, shit football and trips to shithole northern towns.

Its only going to be fun if we are winning week after week.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Our promotion season under Adkins was great but in general the Championship is shit. It’s bollocks to say the atmosphere in the grounds is better, you don’t get the Premier League tourist nob heads but they are just replaced with row after row of empty seats. Shit players, shit football and trips to shithole northern towns.

Its only going to be fun if we are winning week after week.

It’s been a shit atmosphere, shit players, shit football for years in the premier league though. Difference is we might actually win a few games, which if you’re a saints fan should be what you want 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Appy said:

No away price cap is the big downside. 

Is it a big downside? How often do you expect to pay more than £30? I've discussed this with fans i know who go regularly with Reading, Watford, Luton, Millwall, they all say its quite rare to be charged much more than that so not sure how much you're expecting to be charged 

Easter football, Good Friday and Easter Monday matches. Klopp and Guardiola would have an aneurysm if they had to manage that. No winter break in the Championship either. Generally, just nice to be in a league where the top six managers aren't trying to change the league system every other week.

5 subs, with Kyle Walker, England's best right-back, Kalvin Phillips, a first team England international, Bernardo Silva, a four time Premier League winner and Julian Alvarez, Argentina's first choice striker coming off the bench is not something I'm going to miss either.

Edited by HarvSFC
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, JRM said:

Just hope Luton stay down , top away end can't wait for this 

I remember it well last time we went down, probably the weirdest away end I've been to. The entrance is basically the front door to a terraced house. :lol:

There is a novelty factor the first season you go down, it sort of wore off when Luton stuffed their 3rd goal in against our bunch of over-paid losers though.

19 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I remember it well last time we went down, probably the weirdest away end I've been to. The entrance is basically the front door to a terraced house. :lol:

There is a novelty factor the first season you go down, it sort of wore off when Luton stuffed their 3rd goal in against our bunch of over-paid losers though.

Our record has always been terrible there, at least no plastic pitch anymore we had some heavy defeats on that. 

I've been a few times in the home end with a Luton mate, generally a good atmosphere. 

Will be a sad day when they eventually move. 

2117392269_kenilworth-road-luton-town-fc-away-fans-entrance-1419615231(1).jpg.cdb1bf0bee47fd6818edb4f2175b8929.jpg

4 hours ago, JRM said:

Our record has always been terrible there, at least no plastic pitch anymore we had some heavy defeats on that. 

I've been a few times in the home end with a Luton mate, generally a good atmosphere. 

Will be a sad day when they eventually move. 

2117392269_kenilworth-road-luton-town-fc-away-fans-entrance-1419615231(1).jpg.cdb1bf0bee47fd6818edb4f2175b8929.jpg

The 2-1 win in 1978 was a pretty decent day, TBF !! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

60th year supporting Saints, will be utterly disinterested by Championship.  Bollocks football played by bollocks players.

That Notts Forest game was so great this year! 74 hoofs from us.

Aston Villa away no shots Villa had 2 

Leeds away abysmal sides lost to a scuff error 

Brentford home game we were worse than terrible Brentford gamesmanship from 20 mins in.

Man City had 550m players on their bench other week.

I won’t miss that bollocks!

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to all the blokes that bang on about it being a better atmosphere with "less plastics" in the ground getting their feelings hurt when we have a big game and sell out and reacting by waving their season tickets above their heads as they don't appreciate the irony of how fucking stupid they are.

For anyone that hasn't been around long enough, this would happen during full-houses back in the League One days. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint_Jonny said:

I'm looking forward to all the blokes that bang on about it being a better atmosphere with "less plastics" in the ground getting their feelings hurt when we have a big game and sell out and reacting by waving their season tickets above their heads as they don't appreciate the irony of how fucking stupid they are.

For anyone that hasn't been around long enough, this would happen during full-houses back in the League One days. 

Remember this happening against Carlisle in League 1 where ticket purchases had been linked to the Man United cup game a week or so before. Unsurprisingly Carlisle didn't take a full allocation so blocks 43/44 of the Northam were open to home fans and I sat there...a handful of blokes in block 42 spent most of the game goading their own fans about being 'plastics'. Was quite a surreal experience and given this part of the ground would have been the away end for the cup game, most of the people sat there probably hadn't been to that one!

EFL /iplayer is a pretty snazzy tool for anyone who can’t attend games and doesn’t want to break the law with illegal streams. 

Makes all of our games accessible to watch. 

Actually, not sure that’s something to look forward to..

Edited by Dman

6 hours ago, Saint_Jonny said:

So you're looking forward to getting annoyed at people who get annoyed by other people, surely there's something a bit more positive to look forward to?! 

• Haha 1

On 09/04/2023 at 09:56, AlexLaw76 said:

What you probably mean, we have the financial advantage over most other clubs.....not a level playing field at all in reality

I dunno about that, we’ve spunked away so much money on dross that we may just be in a bit of trouble even with the parachute payments.

We have the usual choice faced by clubs who go down with an oversized wagebill. We could ignore ffp and gamble on going up and hope it doesn’t go all pear shaped (as so many unfortunate clubs do) or cut our cloth massively in which case I don’t think we will be a Championship behemoth. 

I can’t see a huge queue of clubs banging on the door for our players with one or two exceptions. 

Being a relatively big club. I live in Plymouth and have a lot of Argyle supporting mates, they're STILL talking about the time they beat us on the opening day of the 2010/11 season. They really do consider it one of their best ever wins. They don't hate us or anything but I guess we just dwarf them in club stature.

Fans who actually get behind the team

Less plastics

We also have a squad full of Championship quality players; I'm not saying we'll go straight back up but I do predict that we'll do better than the 12th place we managed last time we went down.

21 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Matt Le God is alive and well on Twitter. It’s painful reading some of his replies. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

Seemingly questioning and largely dismissing anyone says.
He really is a bit of a lonely soul isn’t he.

You can imagine him sat in some dimly lit, inner city bedsit with just a keyboard and a fleshlight for company.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hackedoff said:

You can imagine him sat in some dimly lit, inner city bedsit with just a keyboard and a fleshlight for company.

Why is it whenever someone disagrees with what someone says on social media, that person always lives in a dark bedsit?