James Ward-Prowse

harvey

11 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I do wonder if he would turn Wolves down and stay with us if they were his best option 

Very easy to forget its a tournament season and he has a wage cut at Saints.

99.37% he will leave.

7 hours ago, Dusic said:

Very easy to forget its a tournament season and he has a wage cut at Saints.

99.37% he will leave.

I got 99.36% in my calculations, not sure if i've made an error or i'm a hopeless optimist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think we all know, and JWP must know that his England career is largely over.

He’s only getting into that squad now if there are major injuries to CM’s, and even then, they’ll probably be replaced by youth players instead from the “big six”. 

It is certainly over if he is playing championship football.  If he goes to a premiership side and plays at the top of his game he at least has a chance.

I’m pretty certain he will go even if I hope he doesn’t!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Its Andrew Surman all over again.

I would be interested to hear from Surman if in hindsight, he'd wished he had stayed at the club, given the success of Lallana, morgan etc. who flourished from dropping down a level and getting real opportunities. 

Appreciate financially it helped us out and we were in a slightly different situation, when we sold Surman. But from a pure footballing perspective. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

now there are 4 clubs interested we should be demanding £75m

I know you mean that tongue in cheek, but I'd be amazed of the clubs interested they would offer what we wanted £40Million.

So far - I imagine he stays for now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dman said:

I would be interested to hear from Surman if in hindsight, he'd wished he had stayed at the club, given the success of Lallana, morgan etc. who flourished from dropping down a level and getting real opportunities. 

Appreciate financially it helped us out and we were in a slightly different situation, when we sold Surman. But from a pure footballing perspective. 

Can't remember for certain, but being a local lad and (I assumed) supporter, I always felt his preference would have been to stay with us. Obviously it didn't work out that way so it's completely hypothetical.

54 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Can't remember for certain, but being a local lad and (I assumed) supporter, I always felt his preference would have been to stay with us. Obviously it didn't work out that way so it's completely hypothetical.

He was a Saints fan. His family were too.

I believe he wanted to stay, but the club was in massive trouble, so obviously had to accept an offer from Wolves. Not sure there is much option for him at that point. When a club doesn't want to keep you, I guess you have to depart. His transfer went through on July 1st. The Markus Liebherr negotiations were well underway in June and concluded on July 9th. Perhaps the Surman transfer had been done and dusted in June and just announced July 1st.  If the offer from Wolves had come in later maybe we would have turned it down.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Chez said:

He was a Saints fan. His family were too.

I believe he wanted to stay, but the club was in massive trouble, so obviously had to accept an offer from Wolves. Not sure there is much option for him at that point. When a club doesn't want to keep you, I guess you have to depart. His transfer went through on July 1st. The Markus Liebherr negotiations were well underway in June and concluded on July 9th. Perhaps the Surman transfer had been done and dusted in June and just announced July 1st.  If the offer from Wolves had come in later maybe we would have turned it down.

Surman would have happily stayed at Southampton his whole career regardless of what league we're in.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, saintwbu said:

I thought I heard Surman himself say in an interview he didn’t want to leave but had to due to the financial implications to Saints at the time if he had stayed - but maybe I dreamt it!

No, that's about the size of it. We were in admin and the club had to accept the Wolves offer. He couldn't really say "no, I'm not leaving" as the clubs very survival seemingly relied on that transfer money.  

• Like 4

saints could probably keep him for another season,leaving him with 2 years,so saints would probably lose little in his value but would have him for the season and i dont think hes the sort to down tools

• Like 1

20 hours ago, teamsaint said:

Liverpool hoping to get him on the cheap ?

£25m is laughable at todays prices, obviously.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12181519/Liverpool-happy-hold-James-Ward-Prowse-Southampton-50m-asking-price.html

Can't see liverpool waiting until the end of the window to see if they can get JWP on the cheap. If they seriously want him, they will look to get the deal done asap.

52 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

I thought it was published that Prowsey was someone who didn't have a relegation salary cut in his contract.

Not seen that published, but equally I think there has just been a blanket statement that players have a 40% cut and there could be exceptions. I doubt it in JWP's case. No way are Saints tying themselves to a £100k+ a week contract through 2026 without a relegation clause.

2 hours ago, david in sweden said:

I thought it was published that Prowsey was someone who didn't have a relegation salary cut in his contract.

It was published that he doesn’t have a minimum fee release clause on relegation, not that he doesn’t have a wage reduction.

Would like to see him go to Liverpool where he might only be a bit part player, but he'd have a decent chance of winning something.  West Ham have won their 40 year trophy so can't see them winning anything again anytime soon. 

On 11/06/2023 at 17:23, teamsaint said:

Liverpool hoping to get him on the cheap ?

£25m is laughable at todays prices, obviously.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12181519/Liverpool-happy-hold-James-Ward-Prowse-Southampton-50m-asking-price.html

Why on earth would we have to drop our asking price like they say? Load of rubbish, £50mi or jog on. 

19 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd take 40 million for jwp personally. I can't see us selling for anything less. 

Can you see us selling for anything more?

I guess I am struggling to see him as a premium Prem player and thus don't see us getting £50m. But maybe he is that (a premium Prem palyer), or close enough to justify that huge price tag?

...I am struggling to convince myself as I type this. 

I wonder what fans of other Prem sides think of him and value him. When Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolves, spurs or West Ham fans see themselves linked with him, do they think, `Brilliant player. He'll improve us. £50m seems about right. Get him in quick'?

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

To be honest unless your midfield needs a ball recycler who is an expert with the deadball then he is a luxury player for most teams who dont have much cash to waste.

Can see West Ham happening for 35-40m with the Rice money, not really sure where else they would need someone like him for that amount of cash spare.

I suppose this window will truly show us how much of a good player he is or isnt by how many clubs come in for him.

Edited by Convict Colony

16 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

To be honest unless your midfield needs a ball recycler who is an expert with the deadball then he is a luxury player for most teams who dont have much cash to waste.

Can see West Ham happening for 35-40m with the Rice money, not really sure where else they would need someone like him for that amount of cash spare.

I suppose this window will truly show us how much of a good player he is or isnt by how many clubs come in for him.

I think the fact he is still here and hasn't been poached already probably answers your last point.

We don't hang onto our best players if a bigger club wants them. Maybe that has changed under SR ownership, but I suspect JWP still being a Saints player is as much a reflection of other teams' opinion of him, and the perceived value for money versus impact on their squads.

• Like 2

He's a slow terrier who hits a great free kick but is otherwise fairly conventional in his passing. That's why he never nailed down an England place (a team that has generally prioritised physicality) and why he's never been poached by a more technical team competing in the Champions League. Free kicks are his only elite skill - everything else is just pretty good.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Best mate is a Liverpool supporter and we were discussing the Mail 'article'. He agrees its just utter bullshit and pointless filler. We all know if someone comes in for JWP with a bid of £45-£50m he will go. No less than that unless he properly kicked up a fuss, and to be fair he doesn't seem the type. No one would begrudge a move, but if he stays and takes us back up - club legend status would be secured and I don't think he would ever leave. 

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Can you see us selling for anything more?

I guess I am struggling to see him as a premium Prem player and thus don't see us getting £50m. But maybe he is that (a premium Prem palyer), or close enough to justify that huge price tag?

...I am struggling to convince myself as I type this. 

I wonder what fans of other Prem sides think of him and value him. When Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolves, spurs or West Ham fans see themselves linked with him, do they think, `Brilliant player. He'll improve us. £50m seems about right. Get him in quick'?

I don't think he's worth that much given his age. In the plus column he's English, our captain, a model professional, probably the best free kick taker in the world, plays virtually every game and has scored more than ten goals for the last two years in a team that creates nothing. I think we would have possibly looked for 45 had we stayed up but given our relegation, I think we will accept 40 or 35 with achievable addons. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

He's a slow terrier who hits a great free kick but is otherwise fairly conventional in his passing. That's why he never nailed down an England place (a team that has generally prioritised physicality) and why he's never been poached by a more technical team competing in the Champions League. Free kicks are his only elite skill - everything else is just pretty good.

Hard to argue with that tbf. Annoyingly I think he'd be really good under the system that's going to be employed under Martin. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Totally agree, he is a brilliant player for a club at our level but clearly isn’t on the big boys radar or he would have been long gone.

These media stories are just noise to fill pages and get clicks in reality JWP will go for mid to high 30’s to a decent but not stellar club like West Ham/Spurs.  The absolute best he could hope for is a bit part player at Liverpool purely because they are in such dire need of midfielders this summer.

3 hours ago, ooh it's a corner said:

I think the fact he is still here and hasn't been poached already probably answers your last point.

We don't hang onto our best players if a bigger club wants them. Maybe that has changed under SR ownership, but I suspect JWP still being a Saints player is as much a reflection of other teams' opinion of him, and the perceived value for money versus impact on their squads.

Villa offered £25m in 2021. Maybe that was their maximum budget at the time, but not exactly a ringing endorsement. He's had two `impressive' seasons since in terms of goals.

Statistically, Southampton are high up in the fouls received list, so JWP gets more chances to have a go at goal from free kicks. Spurs, Liverpool and West Ham are not good teams for his strengths and stats.

He is, also, overvalued at 50m.

• Confused 2

On 13/06/2023 at 21:13, James G said:

Statistically, Southampton are high up in the fouls received list, so JWP gets more chances to have a go at goal from free kicks. Spurs, Liverpool and West Ham are not good teams for his strengths and stats.

He is, also, overvalued at 50m.

Dont remember us being forward that much to win free kicks in shooting range, he managed to score 3 free kicks which is more than any other player managed.

We was also the 15th most fouled team in the league, so more one of the least fouled than most fouled?

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/9075/Stages/20934/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2022-2023

• Like 3

On 15/06/2023 at 11:20, Mosin said:

Dont remember us being forward that much to win free kicks in shooting range, he managed to score 3 free kicks which is more than any other player managed.

We was also the 15th most fouled team in the league, so more one of the least fouled than most fouled?

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/9075/Stages/20934/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2022-2023

Yeah, it's all odd, but JWP plays well because Southampton get fouled alot, but from Southampton's perspective they should aim to not get fouled as it breaks up play. From JWPs perspective, one of his big plusses is his free kicks so a team on the most fouled list is not a bad option

Teams did learn to foul higher up the pitch though...

I still think he would be of considerable value to a better team. One thing I've noticed over many years is that the better players are always moving into space to support others, and when a team is playing badly with confidence shot this doesn't occur. But JWP has always worked his socks off and I've often been surprised where he has popped up to offer himself for the ball. No pace to chase a break, but he does his job well, even if the movement around him hasn't been great.

• Like 3

On 15/06/2023 at 11:20, Mosin said:

As usual people on here looking for any excuse to slate JWP when in reality he is our best player 

• Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse