James Ward-Prowse

harvey

27 minutes ago, vectraman said:

Kulusevski Aged 23 and a very decent player has signed for spurs for £25 million. Can’t see JWP being worth double that 😬

Spurs had already agreed the fee 18 months ago as part of his loan - agreed when he was a reserve player at Juve.

4 hours ago, James G said:

Yeah, it's all odd, but JWP plays well because Southampton get fouled alot, but from Southampton's perspective they should aim to not get fouled as it breaks up play. From JWPs perspective, one of his big plusses is his free kicks so a team on the most fouled list is not a bad option

Are you not a Saints fan? You say Southampton instead of us…

• Like 3

9 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Spurs had already agreed the fee 18 months ago as part of his loan - agreed when he was a reserve player at Juve.

which included a £10m loan fee for the last 18months. 

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Do you think he's going to give us a year? Seems quite idiotic to use him in the marketing if he leaves in a few weeks. 

I think all we can read into it is that any deal for him to leave isn't anywhere near close. I don't think it rules out a move, just that it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

I think all we can read into it is that any deal for him to leave isn't anywhere near close. I don't think it rules out a move, just that it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

But surely he must have made them believe there was at least a possibility that he will stay? 

8 minutes ago, trousers said:

It would have been pictured ages ago. I would say it has little to no impact on a move.

I am certain he will leave if an acceptable offer is made and that could go all the way to the deadline in reality.

Edited by Dusic

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Do you think he's going to give us a year? Seems quite idiotic to use him in the marketing if he leaves in a few weeks. 

I’d be surprised if they didn’t have plenty more modelling photos from across the squad, for just such an eventuality. Whilst he’s our player, and none of them are guaranteed to stay anyway, I think it’d be idiotic NOT to use our go-to poster boy. It’d only fuel speculation about his future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I’d be surprised if they didn’t have plenty more modelling photos from across the squad, for just such an eventuality. Whilst he’s our player, and none of them are guaranteed to stay anyway, I think it’d be idiotic NOT to use our go-to poster boy. It’d only fuel speculation about his future.

Its universally expected that he'll leave though. I'm not sure there can be any more speculation on his future.

That being said, I think we're in a position where practically every single player in the club could leave, so I guess they had to use someone. 

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

Newcastle targeting Tonali from AC Milan... JWP starting to run out of options? Villa / West Ham likely to be only viable options at this stage..?

I think Villa are happy with their midfield.  Can’t see him going there as a squad player.

On 19/06/2023 at 08:49, FarehamSaintJames said:

JWP will be a part of the kit launch (not ITK, just gut feeling).

Side note, I still don’t think he’ll be leaving.

Happy Mondays 😁

I think the club very much wants him to leave and needs the cash after relegation last seasons insane £160m+ transfer fee alone spending spree.

At this stage of his career, JWP feels very much like he'll be a £30m tops panic buy for some PL club on 1st September.

I think one of the main reasons, if not the main reason is that PL clubs just don't agree with his SFC valuation. He simply is not that good, despite what many think. That is why there is no queue of clubs after him at 40-50m at this time. Yeah, someone might panic buy later in the window, but right now no one will pay that kind of money for him.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Sussex_saint said:

Why would the club put him in the kit promo if he is leaving? Seems absurd for a player to model a shirt if they are not going to ever wear it.

To sell more shirts, one would guess. I hope you’re right and he stays, but him being in the promo is hardly concrete evidence that he’s staying. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

I think one of the main reasons, if not the main reason is that PL clubs just don't agree with his SFC valuation. He simply is not that good, despite what many think. That is why there is no queue of clubs after him at 40-50m at this time. Yeah, someone might panic buy later in the window, but right now no one will pay that kind of money for him.

so why havent we sold any of our players yet are they all over priced? or is it more likely that transfer moves will be later down the line ? 

During the kit unveilling , JWP had the oura of an ex who has split up amicably with their partner who had previously agreed to go to a function and are just pretending everything is fine for everyone else's sake. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

Still confident he won’t leave 😂

He’s nearly thirty, not up and coming. That rules him out of a top six move and his next best choice is to a bigger mid table club like Villa or West Ham. Realistically I think he wouldn’t further than London.

Gut feeling he’ll still be here next season though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, once_bitterne said:

I think the club very much wants him to leave and needs the cash after relegation last seasons insane £160m+ transfer fee alone spending spree.

At this stage of his career, JWP feels very much like he'll be a £30m tops panic buy for some PL club on 1st September.

Lallana went for £25mi almost 10 years ago, JWP is not worth £30mi tops… 

There are reasons for him to stay given his age...(a) he seems to like what Le Tiss did in terms of being a one club player - it's a way of standing out and ensuring your name is always associated with your parent clubs history, especially when you're team Captain  (b) family ties to the area - who wants to uproot a young family or put blockers in the way of spending time with them? (c) will he actually be any more successful in the type of club that he moves to - probably not as he'll end up at a middle to lower table team and right now he's a big fish in a slightly smaller pond.  (d) he will more than likely thrive under Martin's tenure as he's a ball retainer and controls midfield.

The club can't force him out as he's got a long contract.  There may be a relegation clause that affects his salary, but that might be waived by the club if he stays and helps fight for promotion.  I suspect his position has been discussed and for the better part resolved one way or the other.  I'm not too fussed if he goes, but I certainly don't think there's a clear case for him to be sold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danjosaint said:

In the right team with right coach he could thrive, yeah he's been pretty drab last season but look how much Douglas Luiz improved under Emery in 1 season, I think he'll go to West ham for £35m unless they get that Ajax cdm 

He was the top scoring english central midfielder post world cup, and 9th in the league for key passes (despite playing for us)... He's got 3 years left and is the captain. We'll be after £40M minimum for him. Anything less would be a borderline insult. Also if it is west ham one could imagine we will charge a Rice premium - it must actually be a huge issue for west ham this summer because everyone knows they're coming into £75M-£100M and will be after CM.

Also, imo the only reason he goes to a fulham or a Bournemouth is for money which has never struck me as a motivation for him. They're going to be relegation / lower half teams over the next few seasons. Whereas, if he stays with saints, he has the chance to be the hero who stays with the club through relegation, leads us back to promotion, maintains his highest wage earner clause, and still gets beckham's record. Could see him giving us one more year or till january tbh. Agree with Fareham in that its more likely he is staying than leaving, especially if we end up banking £40M for lavia.

As a final point, having a player like Prowsey who will happily play every minute twice a week in the championship, and who is certain to bag us points with free kicks is a significant value - lower standard defenders/keepers, and a more dominating saints will equal plenty of chances and golf swing celebrations. Would be foolish of the club not to factor that in for a promotion push.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 7

24 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

He was the top scoring english central midfielder post world cup, and 9th in the league for key passes (despite playing for us)... He's got 3 years left and is the captain. We'll be after £40M minimum for him. Anything less would be a borderline insult. Also if it is west ham one could imagine we will charge a Rice premium - it must actually be a huge issue for west ham this summer because everyone knows they're coming into £75M-£100M and will be after CM.

Also, imo the only reason he goes to a fulham or a Bournemouth is for money which has never struck me as a motivation for him. They're going to be relegation / lower half teams over the next few seasons. Whereas, if he stays with saints, he has the chance to be the hero who stays with the club through relegation, leads us back to promotion, maintains his highest wage earner clause, and still gets beckham's record. Could see him giving us one more year or till january tbh. Agree with Fareham in that its more likely he is staying than leaving, especially if we end up banking £40M for lavia.

As a final point, having a player like Prowsey who will happily play every minute twice a week in the championship, and who is certain to bag us points with free kicks is a significant value - lower standard defenders/keepers, and a more dominating saints will equal plenty of chances and golf swing celebrations. Would be foolish of the club not to factor that in for a promotion push.

It wouldn't surprise me if he stayed. From his perspective, he's not likely to get in the England team anyway and he'd be a real legend here if he led us to promotion. I could see him wanting to go to West ham because they are in Europe and maybe a team like spurs but I agree that I don't think any of the other big team would want him. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he stayed. From his perspective, he's not likely to get in the England team anyway and he'd be a real legend here if he led us to promotion. I could see him wanting to go to West ham because they are in Europe and maybe a team like spurs but I agree that I don't think any of the other big team would want him. 

The three bits that sometimes get overlooked which are probably big motivators:

1. Money - he has very likely just been given a pay cut, yet moving would probably earn him more than he was on in the PL with Saints, and substantially more than he will get this year.

2. Pride - he wants the Beckham record, he has worked really hard to eatablish himself as a PL player and occassional England squad member. The inner motivation of a pro athlete will be to compete at the highest level possible especially in a tournament season where depending on injuries etc he still has a chance of beint selected. A year in the Championship and that chance is zero.

3. He is probably quite pissed off about what has happened at Saints over the last few seasons, especially as he has really given his all. 

Over the summer, someone in the PL will come in for him and I very much doubt he would turn down a PL offer to stay in the Championship.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, once_bitterne said:

I'm sure we'll panic into accepting £30m.

I guess the other option is to continue paying him £60-70k a week in the championship for the next three years. Is that affordable? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OldNick said:

We need somebody with more authority in the middle of the pitch. JWP will be muscled out of games, IMO

Still will be able to pass sideways and backwards though.

Why would he get outmuscled? The championship players are not faster and stronger than the Prem players. His quality of first touch means he would have more time to play in that division than most CMs.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Why would he get outmuscled? The championship players are not faster and stronger than the Prem players. His quality of first touch means he would have more time to play in that division than most CMs.

This. The physicality of The Championship is a myth. It hasn't been that way for years - League One is easily the most physical of the top four divisions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

This. The physicality of The Championship is a myth. It hasn't been that way for years - League One is easily the most physical of the top four divisions.

and if you are a quality player with a brilliant first touch then opponents often won't get close enough to you for physicality to be a major factor. Not saying having power is not useful, but I'll take quality on the ball every time. I don't recall JWP being brushed aside by big powerful CMs. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

and if you are a quality player with a brilliant first touch then opponents often won't get close enough to you for physicality to be a major factor. Not saying having power is not useful, but I'll take quality on the ball every time. I don't recall JWP being brushed aside by big powerful CMs. 

Probably was by Wanyama in training tbf

8 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Still confident he won’t leave 😂

He’s nearly thirty, not up and coming. That rules him out of a top six move and his next best choice is to a bigger mid table club like Villa or West Ham. Realistically I think he wouldn’t further than London.

Gut feeling he’ll still be here next season though.

I hope your gut feeling has merit Jamesey , that would give me great confidence for the forthcoming season.

• Like 1

Would be great if we could persuade him to stay. When Lavia goes we don’t have a midfield and a possession style will suit him . Still think someone will bid £35-£40m at the business end and he’ll leave sadly - with Poch at Chelsea and a suggested flow of Saudi money don’t rule them out going for him.

I think the main reason to leave (apart from money obviously), is his chance at England playing time.

I personally think no matter who he plays for it’s going to be impossible to be a starter given the midfield strength of England these days, but maybe if he played out of his skin somewhere and there was injuries and someone else took over from southgate….

He’s going to get the Beckham regardless before he retires, he doesn’t need to move immediately for that.

• Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse