James Ward-Prowse

harvey

17 hours ago, wild-saint said:

so why havent we sold any of our players yet are they all over priced? or is it more likely that transfer moves will be later down the line ? 

Highly desired players are often snapped up early doors. I know the majority of people think JWP is the best in the world, but sadly he is far from it. This is why he is not being snapped up fast.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, east-stand-nic said:

Highly desired players are often snapped up early doors. I know the majority of people think JWP is the best in the world, but sadly he is far from it. This is why he is not being snapped up fast.

No the majority of people think that he is a very good footballer who would normally have engineered a move to a bigger club but are grateful that he has stayed loyal.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

It wouldn't surprise me if JWP stayed. I don't think he will have the choice of clubs he would desire because of our asking price. He's just not top of list for most clubs. 

This entirely. 
I said at the start of last summer it wouldn’t surprise me if he finished his career having only played for us.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

This entirely. 
I said at the start of last summer it wouldn’t surprise me if he finished his career having only played for us.

With you one this as well. Am just not sure he would be willing to move to the kind of clubs that would be in the market for him. Sure it would mean he is back on the Premier League, but I just get the feeling that he wants to give us this season at least to get back with us. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Exclusive from Independent - Fulham in for JWP: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/southampton-james-ward-declan-rice-fulham-manchester-city-b2362372.html

- JWP prefers to sign for Fulham than West Ham
- He sees them and Marco Silva as a better fit for him
- He's already knocked back Brentford, who made an enquiry

Might as well stay here than a relegation fight with Fulham.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Exclusive from Independent - Fulham in for JWP: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/southampton-james-ward-declan-rice-fulham-manchester-city-b2362372.html

I get the impression that JWP is a very settled and stable person, whilst I’d hoped he’d move to a top 4 team, Fulham is plausible given he wouldn’t have to move house or disrupt his family life.

Edited by Toussaint
Punctuation
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Fulham 😂😂 Surely that has to be a load of shite.

• Like 1

It’s that time of the summer when DT only pipes up to “laugh” in response to anyone suggesting that JWP could stay. 
Not will stay.

Be braced. I’ve had two in the last hour. 😂

As Tousaint. said above, a London team isn’t beyond the realms of possibility for him. But would he really want to leave us for one of those sides, I doubt it.

I’m sure he’s rather have a promotion (potentially) on his CV rather than a relegation and mid table mediocrity.

I sense he’s a very settled lad with his family. A couple of my friends know his brother and he comes from a settled family.
I don’t see him wanting to change that.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Chez said:

Why would he get outmuscled? The championship players are not faster and stronger than the Prem players. His quality of first touch means he would have more time to play in that division than most CMs.

Must be me, but I feel he was outmuscled many times, hence how easy it was to get at our back 4. When we have played lower league clubs in the cup, when in the PL, I can't recall him dominating the game. 

I feel its best he goes to a PL team and hopefully is successful

35 minutes ago, John B said:

Fulham finished 10th in the PL last season seems to be a reasonable club for somebody like JWP

In a league which is probably the weakest its ever been. They wont finish 10th next season and if they do, they'll lose their manager. 

Fulham would be a ridiculous move for him, for the sake of not wanting to spend 1 season in the championship. 

Genuinely if I was him, I'd hold off for 1 season and see how we do. He'd be trading in being a captain, poster boy etc. for fucking Fulham or Brentford. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Must be me, but I feel he was outmuscled many times, hence how easy it was to get at our back 4. When we have played lower league clubs in the cup, when in the PL, I can't recall him dominating the game. 

I feel its best he goes to a PL team and hopefully is successful

Last cup game I watched, he came on against Grimsby and completely dominated and ran the game. Id take jwp over Paul Wotton in any game against any level of opponent. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

It’s that time of the summer when DT only pipes up to “laugh” in response to anyone suggesting that JWP could stay. 
Not will stay.

Be braced. I’ve had two in the last hour. 😂

As Tousaint. said above, a London team isn’t beyond the realms of possibility for him. But would he really want to leave us for one of those sides, I doubt it.

I’m sure he’s rather have a promotion (potentially) on his CV rather than a relegation and mid table mediocrity.

I sense he’s a very settled lad with his family. A couple of my friends know his brother and he comes from a settled family.
I don’t see him wanting to change that.

god I hope your right

• Like 3

Won’t be such an easy commute for him if he doesn’t want to move. Yes I know they start late, finish early and he could have a chauffeur but the M3, M25 and A3 can be hideous as we all know. It’s all relative but it won’t be as easy as getting to Staplewood. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

He isn't moving to Fulham 😂

In your opinion...if he wants PL football (and wages) next season, and Fulham are the biggest bidder, he's either going there or staying here. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

In your opinion...if he wants PL football (and wages) next season, and Fulham are the biggest bidder, he's either going there or staying here. 

He might go there, but I'd be very surprised and gutted if he did. It's even possible that Fulham and us coukd swap places next year. West ham makes sense, particularly because they have Europe. Fulham would be a bit bizarre. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

He might go there, but I'd be very surprised and gutted if he did. It's even possible that Fulham and us coukd swap places next year. West ham makes sense, particularly because they have Europe. Fulham would be a bit bizarre. 

West Ham were the obvious pick for me until I heard of Villa interest, but that appears to have gone quiet. If it's Fulham or here, you'd hope he'd stay. 

5 minutes ago, egg said:

He is on PL wages and will be for the next 4 years of his current contract.

Prowsey, I say give us till Jan and see where we are; arguably we will be able to sell for a higher price with the added premium that window brings & *IF* we’re storming the league at that point maybe he’ll decide to stick it out and get us back to the PL 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dman said:

In a league which is probably the weakest its ever been. They wont finish 10th next season and if they do, they'll lose their manager. 

Fulham would be a ridiculous move for him, for the sake of not wanting to spend 1 season in the championship. 

Genuinely if I was him, I'd hold off for 1 season and see how we do. He'd be trading in being a captain, poster boy etc. for fucking Fulham or Brentford. 

What a load of Old Pony 

Fulham Villa Brentford and Brighton did well last season and will do well this season if they add players of JWP to their squads

And we would have done the same if we had bought some decent PL players of the last five or so years

• Like 2

Depends which valuations you believe, but if you’ve got between £30-45m to invest in a defensive midfield player, do you pick JWP or Lavia?  Yes, they’re different types of player, but I can’t see any club stumping up the £m’s being bandied around for a 28 year old JWP and that’s not taking into account that he may actually want to stay faithful to Saints as a big fish in a smaller pond.

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

£30-45m to invest in a defensive midfield player,

Thing is JWP isn't a defensive midfielder player. We play him there due to a lack of personnel. I think when Jones was here he stuck him up the pitch and looked a lot more useful.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Thing is JWP isn't a defensive midfielder player. We play him there due to a lack of personnel. I think when Jones was here he stuck him up the pitch and looked a lot more useful.

Agreed, but that’s part of the problem - where is his best position when he’s persistently been played deeper than his potential allows? I don’t think it’s just that we’ve not had personnel to sit besides Lavia…I think there’s more attacking intent offered by other players such as Alcarez. I’ve thought for some years that JWP has some useful attributes, but not enough in one particular area to make him indispensable…he’s a ‘luxury’ player and when he’s got lesser teammates around him, his shortfalls are amplified. For example, he looked SO much better when he had Romeu beside him.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Why is he modelling the new kit if he's off

‘James, West Ham want you for £35m. You’ll have bigger wages, you can live in London and still play in the Premier League’
‘I can’t because I had my photo taken in a shirt’

😝

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I heavily doubt he would model it if he's close to leaving or the club think he will leave. The club are well aware of his lofty status within the fans, and wouldn't put him on the shirt knowing he's off/ likely to be off. I read somewhere a while ago that the club wouldn't be pushy about stopping a move, but slapping him with a minimum price of 40m (or whatever it is) is basically saying "fuck off lower league clubs, we'll only let him go if the Saudis come calling".

• Like 1

Really? You don’t think we have a bunch of photos of other players in the shirt the moment he leaves? Which will happen, no question. We’re just wading through the Lavia offers first. Better player. Higher fee. 

14 hours ago, Sussex_saint said:

I heavily doubt he would model it if he's close to leaving or the club think he will leave. The club are well aware of his lofty status within the fans, and wouldn't put him on the shirt knowing he's off/ likely to be off. I read somewhere a while ago that the club wouldn't be pushy about stopping a move, but slapping him with a minimum price of 40m (or whatever it is) is basically saying "fuck off lower league clubs, we'll only let him go if the Saudis come calling".

The pictures were probably done in March or April.

Don't see how it really makes a difference.

On 22/06/2023 at 19:22, ElTrinidad said:

He is on PL wages and will be for the next 4 years of his current contract.

Prowsey, I say give us till Jan and see where we are; arguably we will be able to sell for a higher price with the added premium that window brings & *IF* we’re storming the league at that point maybe he’ll decide to stick it out and get us back to the PL 

Most contracts have a built-in relegation drop in wages (normally 50%) so unless he is the big exception I doubt he'll get anything like Fulham terms by staying here 😐

I wonder who has scored the most direct free kicks in the Championship, and if he stayed with us and we played attacking football, could JWP realistically beat that record in a season?

Then if we are promoted, he’s surely then going to beat Beckhams in the Premier League 🤔 

Might be his way of thinking 😂 

1 hour ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

I wonder who has scored the most direct free kicks in the Championship, and if he stayed with us and we played attacking football, could JWP realistically beat that record in a season?

Then if we are promoted, he’s surely then going to beat Beckhams in the Premier League 🤔 

Might be his way of thinking 😂 

not sure free kick records are all that high on JWPs list of priorities. 

On 24/06/2023 at 17:54, Sussex_saint said:

Jack Grealish modelled Villa’s shirt with a quote saying “I absolutely love the club”. 

The next week he went to city. Media means fuck all. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse