Russell Martin

LegalEagle

4 hours ago, Forester said:

Lots of histrionics on here.  Like everyone else who travelled to Ipswich last night, I was gutted at the end but it’s mad to begin calling for the manager to go.  We have 78 points with eight games left, there is every chance we will finish with two points per game which is promotion every year, but sadly not this one.  I will take the play offs if that is what it is to be.

I have enjoyed the football this year, but I think Russell can get better.  I personally think we can still play “Russball”, but would like to see two holding midfielders and one ten, whereas we play one holder and two tens,  it’s a small adaptation, but we have conceded too many on transition from being very open.  So still play out from the back, still give licence to defenders to go into creative spaces, still play with two wide men.  It’s a compromise that I think sees us concede ten goals fewer in a season and probably pick up an extra 8 to 15 points

That’s the problem though isn’t it he won’t change and why we concede so many. He would rather stick rigidly to his plan than adapt despite gifting possession and teams having free run at us and acres of space.

I agree with you but he won’t adapt at anytime.

• Like 3

I think we'd have seen a few better results if we didn't have shit defensive players. I thinkartim has been stitched up with the fact that we have to play a combination of Bazunu, Bednarek, Stephens, Manning and Bree, and then have all the good chances we create missed by Adams. 

If you concede too many, and miss too many chances, you're not going to get promoted. If we had a decent keeper, a decent striker who could score a decent percentage of his chances, and some defenders who could actually defend, there would be no doubt we'd be top. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Fair do's! I'm going to my first game this season later this month, so hoping for some entertainment.  Have only been a few times since Covid and that was mainly due to the sheer dross that was being served up.

Well don’t let old misery guts here taint it for you, I’m just raw and angry that we seem to have blown it. I feel the same way as I did when Southgate blew two consecutive finals. Enjoy the game.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

Well don’t let old misery guts here taint it for you, I’m just raw and angry that we seem to have blown it. I feel the same way as I did when Southgate blew two consecutive finals. Enjoy the game.

So you do not think top class football matyches are decided on fine margins on the football pitch with the team making less errors usually victorious especi better ally in penalty shootouts.

Clearly if we had had a goalkeeper who let in less goals and strikers who missed less clear chances we would be in a better situation than we are now

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

I think we'd have seen a few better results if we didn't have shit defensive players. I thinkartim has been stitched up with the fact that we have to play a combination of Bazunu, Bednarek, Stephens, Manning and Bree, and then have all the good chances we create missed by Adams. 

If you concede too many, and miss too many chances, you're not going to get promoted. If we had a decent keeper, a decent striker who could score a decent percentage of his chances, and some defenders who could actually defend, there would be no doubt we'd be top. 

Not sure I buy that. THB, Bednarek, KWP, Downes are the best 4 in their respective roles in this league individually. I wouldn't pick Vestergaard, Morsey, Sam Byram, Harry Clarke etc over any of those for example. Martin is so lucky to have the individuals he has to choose from, and he's fucked it.

Individually we should have enough, but we leave ourselves too exposed and have over complicated the structure with Stephens inclusion.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

How come we seemingly didn't have "shit defensive players" during our c.25 game unbeaten run...?

I'm inclined to agree with @S-Clarke... Rather than our defensive unit suddenly becoming "shit", other factors came into play at the turn of the year...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Forester said:

Lots of histrionics on here.  Like everyone else who travelled to Ipswich last night, I was gutted at the end but it’s mad to begin calling for the manager to go.  We have 78 points with eight games left, there is every chance we will finish with two points per game which is promotion every year, but sadly not this one.  I will take the play offs if that is what it is to be.

I have enjoyed the football this year, but I think Russell can get better.  I personally think we can still play “Russball”, but would like to see two holding midfielders and one ten, whereas we play one holder and two tens,  it’s a small adaptation, but we have conceded too many on transition from being very open.  So still play out from the back, still give licence to defenders to go into creative spaces, still play with two wide men.  It’s a compromise that I think sees us concede ten goals fewer in a season and probably pick up an extra 8 to 15 points

I detest this talk of how the points total would’ve been good enough in previous seasons. The standard outside the top 6 is really poor, and it was last season which is why Burnley and Sheffield Utd pissed it. The pissed it and have still hugely struggled in the Prem. 

There’s loads of dross in this league that we should’ve beaten but haven’t, and that’s why we’re out of the autos race 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Jack said:

I detest this talk of how the points total would’ve been good enough in previous seasons. The standard outside the top 6 is really poor, and it was last season which is why Burnley and Sheffield Utd pissed it. The pissed it and have still hugely struggled in the Prem. 

There’s loads of dross in this league that we should’ve beaten but haven’t, and that’s why we’re out of the autos race 

also, the financial gap between the relegated sides and the rest is probably bigger than ever before.

• Like 2

Here is the problem. RM plays a very specific style. So, it takes players time to get used to it and into the swing of it. So, in the summer when we have another large rebuild after losing many of our best players, we will again have an indifferent start to the season as players get used to the tactics in real life matches. In conclusion this will not work. If we do not win the play offs we need to get show of RM and get a new manager and start a new normal style of play that will work with second tier players.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, John B said:

So you do not think top class football matyches are decided on fine margins on the football pitch with the team making less errors usually victorious especi better ally in penalty shootouts.

Clearly if we had had a goalkeeper who let in less goals and strikers who missed less clear chances we would be in a better situation than we are now

Yes of course fine margins come into play at times, but I think in the case of England's failure, with the best squad in a generation at his disposal, is wholly down to Southgate's ineptitude. In Saints case Martin has a lot to answer for, again, with arguably the best squad in the Championship.  Martin may go on to be a good manager, but I personally feel he was too much of a gamble with so much at stake. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Personally, I think that our first choice back four - Bree, Bednarek, THB, KWP - is about as good as you could hope for in the Championship, add in Downes and this group should be a defensive luxury for Russell Martin.  Should we fail with promotion this year it's not a luxury that his replacement is likely to have.  Bazunu shouldn't be first choice keeper and Adams shouldn't be first choice striker, but that's been obvious to almost anyone who watches Southampton for well over 18 months.  The Board has failed in addressing clear gaps in the squad, attempting to use the first eleven as a shop window, and appointing an unknown quantity at this level as manager.  Martin is failing in getting the best out of what he has, in terms of his penchant for shoehorning favourites into competitive sides, tactics and game management.    

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Yes of course fine margins come into play at times, but I think in the case of England's failure, with the best squad in a generation at his disposal, is wholly down to Southgate's ineptitude. In Saints case Martin has a lot to answer for, again, with arguably the best squad in the Championship.  Martin may go on to be a good manager, but I personally feel he was too much of a gamble with so much at stake. 

So where are our outstanding consistent creative players like we had in previous promotion squads?

52 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Personally, I think that our first choice back four - Bree, Bednarek, THB, KWP - is about as good as you could hope for in the Championship, add in Downes and this group should be a defensive luxury for Russell Martin.  Should we fail with promotion this year it's not a luxury that his replacement is likely to have.  Bazunu shouldn't be first choice keeper and Adams shouldn't be first choice striker, but that's been obvious to almost anyone who watches Southampton for well over 18 months.  The Board has failed in addressing clear gaps in the squad, attempting to use the first eleven as a shop window, and appointing an unknown quantity at this level as manager.  Martin is failing in getting the best out of what he has, in terms of his penchant for shoehorning favourites into competitive sides, tactics and game management.    

I agree with what you are saying but this year Ipswich Leicester and Leeds have achieved outstanding results which has no doubt put lots of pressure on our players

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, John B said:

I agree with what you are saying but this year Ipswich Leicester and Leeds have achieved outstanding results which has no doubt put lots of pressure on our players

That’s rather a circular argument as certainly applies across the entire top four - for instance what effect has Leicester’s apparently unstoppable form in the first half of the season had on Leeds and Ipswich since the new year? Every person I know who is interested in excelling whatever the discipline uses competition and pressure as motivation. Fine margins at the top of course, and that’s where we appear to be falling short. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, captainchris said:

This is the sort of thing that really is worrying about RM. He thought Bree played really well….. He didn’t…

Bree had a miserable night at Portman Road, losing possession 18 times, misplacing eight crosses and winning just two ground duels, while his night was compounded when he got sent off in the 84th minute.

Which game was RM watching ?

It's his get out of jail free card that fools absolutely no one. He drops KWP amid a furore from disgruntled fans and seeks to justify his decision by claiming that Bree played really well when clearly, to most watching, he didn't. It's a character flaw and not a great trait for someone managing a football club.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Forester said:

Who would be your two holding midfielders?

RM is in charge of a quality squad at this level. He has them playing some great football and we've scored many very well-worked goals this season. Unfortunately, where he comes unstuck is in his stubborn and somewhat arrogant mantra that we will never change the way we play - to give him his due we don't and therein lies the big problem which is in-game management. He has no plans or alternatives during games when we come under the cosh which will inevitably happen in most matches whatever the standard of the opposition. No team can hope to dominate for 90 minutes which makes it clear that, during the times when trying to stem the tide, you need to do something different rather than arrogantly and vainly hoping that your one and only system will somehow keep your goal in tact - it won't and it hasn't on many occasions as we've all seen.  This is his major flaw that has cost us the chance of automatic promotion because it results in throwing away precious points and also gives opponents and their managers hope they can get something from us in every game we play. 

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, saintant said:

RM is in charge of a quality squad at this level. He has them playing some great football and we've scored many very well-worked goals this season. Unfortunately, where he comes unstuck is in his stubborn and somewhat arrogant mantra that we will never change the way we play - to give him his due we don't and therein lies the big problem which is in-game management. He has no plans or alternatives during games when we come under the cosh which will inevitably happen in most matches whatever the standard of the opposition. No team can hope to dominate for 90 minutes which makes it clear that, during the times when trying to stem the tide, you need to do something different rather than arrogantly and vainly hoping that your one and only system will somehow keep your goal in tact - it won't and it hasn't on many occasions as we've all seen.  This is his major flaw that has cost us the chance of automatic promotion because it results in throwing away precious points and also gives opponents and their managers hope they can get something from us in every game we play. 

You could argue he has tweaked it slightly, totally unnecessarily though and in the wrong way (the Jack Stephens floating role). He fiddled with something that wasn't broken, using Ramus's mantra right there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

We are 4th - if the board had equipped Martin with a good keeper and striker we'd probably be top, and we wouldn't even be having this discussion. 

Bednarek is shit though, and has been for years. When 60% of your back 5 is not very good, that is an issue. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

We are 4th - if the board had equipped Martin with a good keeper and striker we'd probably be top, and we wouldn't even be having this discussion. 

Bednarek is shit though, and has been for years. When 60% of your back 5 is not very good, that is an issue. 

You can't dissolve Martin of all blame, everyone is accountable to some point. In the PL, Bednarek struggled I'll give you, but at this level he is probably as good as you're going to get. He hasn't been shit this year, far from it. One of the best CB's in this league.

It wasn't Bednarek, the board or Marie the tea lady who decided Jack Stephens had to be in the team at all costs, at the expense of the settled back 4. That was on Martin and that will always be the pivotal reason we chucked it.

• Like 8

any competant manager would have this squad in the top four and probably better,he would also have seen from last season a new no 1 was needed.Anyone remember the pre season game when the winger pretended to square it then rolled it in bazunas near post,farcical for a pro(or amateur) goalkeeper,so the warning signs were there.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

That is where I'm starting to go when I reflect on the season. Thinking about the number of games we've not put away the chances created. A quality striker on the end of those could have made the difference.

And then think of the poor goals conceded by the keeper. Any team would struggle with him in goal. He seems to barely make a save unless it's straight at him.

• Like 1

38 games in and the bookies give us a 38% chance of promotion...pretty sad that even that sounds rather high! 

Is he nailed on to get the boot if we fail in the playoffs do you think?  I'm a simple soul granted, but I assume it's a case of 'if he can't get us promoted with good players, then how the hell will he do it with the dross we'll be left with??'

13 minutes ago, scumbag said:

38 games in and the bookies give us a 38% chance of promotion...pretty sad that even that sounds rather high! 

Is he nailed on to get the boot if we fail in the playoffs do you think?  I'm a simple soul granted, but I assume it's a case of 'if he can't get us promoted with good players, then how the hell will he do it with the dross we'll be left with??'

I don't think so.

I think there's enough mitigation to keep him on (not advocating for it, just looking at some of the facts) - they could point to the fact he got 80pts+ (presumably by end of season) and that in a regular season, we would not be 4th on that total. Factor in that Luton, Burnley, Sheff U are not Leeds, Leicester, Southampton and I think he gets a second season where the points threshold for promotion is most likely considerably lower.

Perhaps there's also an argument for some continuity after so many years of upheaval, changing the coach, losing backroom figures etc. He has definitely settled the turmoil down behind the scenes and created a more harmonious environment at the club. That might be worth something given we are losing Wilcox this off-season.

But if we start struggling next season then I would expect they will be much less patient, for sure.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

That is where I'm starting to go when I reflect on the season. Thinking about the number of games we've not put away the chances created. A quality striker on the end of those could have made the difference.

I find it hard to get behind this reasoning, we have scored more goals than both Leeds and Leicester - we have the 2nd top scorer in the league, and the single player who has the most goal involvements across the entire league. Goal scoring isn't the problem when we're having to win games 4-2/5-3 etc.

I think it's crazy to say we needed a goal scorer to make that 4-4 game a 5-4 etc. We should be winning 2-0's, 1'0's etc. The goals and way we concede has been what's killed us, if we had a relatively stable defence in the 30-40 conceded ball park then we'd be up there, probably top right now. We shouldn't be bemoaning the lack of a striker because we haven't scored enough to make up for the shit loads we let in. The other end is the problem.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

I don't think so.

I think there's enough mitigation to keep him on (not advocating for it, just looking at some of the facts) - they could point to the fact he got 80pts+ (presumably by end of season) and that in a regular season, we would not be 4th on that total. Factor in that Luton, Burnley, Sheff U are not Leeds, Leicester, Southampton and I think he gets a second season where the points threshold for promotion is most likely considerably lower.

Perhaps there's also an argument for some continuity after so many years of upheaval, changing the coach, losing backroom figures etc. He has definitely settled the turmoil down behind the scenes and created a more harmonious environment at the club. That might be worth something given we are losing Wilcox this off-season.

But if we start struggling next season then I would expect they will be much less patient, for sure.

It will also depend on players recruitment and the new DoF. 

We need a couple of midfield marvels on the pitch, thinking of Jimmy Case type character and role, especially as we are likely to buy/loan more youngsters.

2 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

It will also depend on players recruitment and the new DoF. 

We need a couple of midfield marvels on the pitch, thinking of Jimmy Case type character and role, especially as we are likely to buy/loan more youngsters.

I think one of the more concerning aspects of ‘Russball’ is, after we were all told it takes time to ‘learn’ this way of playing, it appears it is still work in progress right at the tail end of the season. Good for that spell with a settled defence and few injuries, but so easily knocked back with a bit of tinkering or new additions.

If we stay down we will lose half of our best players, mostly loans, so we’ll be starting again integrating new arrivals into the system. I think it will be even harder with promotion with an urgent need to upgrade most positions for the PL even if we do manage to retain some of the loanees. By the time all the newbees get on board with RM’s philosophy I fear a lot of damage may already have been done.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

I think one of the more concerning aspects of ‘Russball’ is, after we were all told it takes time to ‘learn’ this way of playing, it appears it is still work in progress right at the tail end of the season. Good for that spell with a settled defence and few injuries, but so easily knocked back with a bit of tinkering or new additions.

If we stay down we will lose half of our best players, mostly loans, so we’ll be starting again integrating new arrivals into the system. I think it will be even harder with promotion with an urgent need to upgrade most positions for the PL even if we do manage to retain some of the loanees. By the time all the newbees get on board with RM’s philosophy I fear a lot of damage may already have been done.

It’s an odd one as Burnley managed to do it, but obviously not having a Leeds and Leicester helped. 

Recruitment will be key as even the Man City kids signed have struggled to adapt to Russball, so something else must be going on.

Not a single nomination across every EFL 2024 season award categories for Saints. 

Manager, player, young player, supporter, community, innovation etc.
did we win any manager of the month,goal of the month etc awards?  

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

Not a single nomination across every EFL 2024 season award categories for Saints. 

Rothwell got goal of the month with his volley for one. 

Edited by Doctoroncall
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Surely we won the "brave" award

• Haha 5

22 minutes ago, saint lard said:

proves that no one gives a f**k about the "25 game" thing...

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

I think there's enough mitigation to keep him on (not advocating for it, just looking at some of the facts) - they could point to the fact he got 80pts+ (presumably by end of season) and that in a regular season, we would not be 4th on that total. 

This. Obviously a lot depends on how we finish the season but if we had the same points at this stage last season we would be comfortably in second place - 6 points clear of third with two games in hand.

I guess much will spend of what happens to the squad, I wouldn't fancy playing our style on a budget. 

37 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Rothwell did get a goal of the month, but that's all I've got.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Continuity for me is probably the main reason to persist with RM rather than ripping it up and starting again.

Not convinced either way. Also comes back to who else then ? 

Having said that next season will be a ‘give him ten games’, ‘end of October’, ‘ see where we are at Christmas’ type of season if things aren’t flying. 

6 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I find it hard to get behind this reasoning, we have scored more goals than both Leeds and Leicester - we have the 2nd top scorer in the league, and the single player who has the most goal involvements across the entire league. Goal scoring isn't the problem when we're having to win games 4-2/5-3 etc.

I think it's crazy to say we needed a goal scorer to make that 4-4 game a 5-4 etc. We should be winning 2-0's, 1'0's etc. The goals and way we concede has been what's killed us, if we had a relatively stable defence in the 30-40 conceded ball park then we'd be up there, probably top right now. We shouldn't be bemoaning the lack of a striker because we haven't scored enough to make up for the shit loads we let in. The other end is the problem.

Yep, it’s been conceding late goals, soft goals and failing to hold onto leads that are costing us not having another striker who can score 20+ to make a us win games 4-3

if I was manager of a team at any level I’d start by having a competent, solid goalkeeper, in front of them two central defenders whose job it is to defend, put their bodies on the line, get blocks in, tackles mark properly, in front of them a strong holding midfielder, unless they were injured or their form fell off a cliff they’d start every game and then build everything else around them. 

I agree with those on here who reckon Martin is too stubborn and refuses to re-assess his Russball type of play.

Unfortunately this scenario reflects what Swansea fans said when Martin came to us.

I cant see us winning promotion through the play offs and we will have a weaker side next season unless there are some inspired signings, which are likely to be loans as the Board has already mentioned there is little spare cash to delve into the market place.

Russell Martin will continue to be employed as the club cannot afford to pay another expensive compensation package for a sacked Manager.

Next season the club is likely to be around mid table withe the possibility of another venture into the Play Offs or, at worst, a flirtation with relegation.

If Martin is able to get the team to do the double over Pompey as he did with Swansea over Cardiff, at least he will get some kudos.

20 hours ago, Forester said:

We have 78 points with eight games left, there is every chance we will finish with two points per game which is promotion every year,

We’re going to get a lot of this pony if we fail to go up, another year RussBall would get us up and we were just unlucky to be down there this season. 

Points don’t matter, all that matters is being one of the best 2 teams in the league or the best one in a 3 game play off. Maybe in other seasons teams all through the league were stronger, it was more even so the best 2 teams dropped more points. Who knows, all I know is we have a better squad of players than Ipswich, and a squad that’s  on par with Leeds & Leicester and we have chucked away automatic promotion because of ridiculous tactics & line ups the past 5 weeks. That’s down to fucking Lego head 100%. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

During that run the Manager of the Month went twice to Maresca and twice to Farke.

exactly, we had a couple of big wins, some terrible draws, and games that were decided by 1 goal....apart from Leeds and WBA, the fixtures were pretty kind (remember, we were flat track bullies)

Edited by AlexLaw76

I'm a bit torn. I can see RM's deficiencies as most can. Although the slow, nothing to show for 70% possession matches have been bad from an attacking perspective, I believe it's defensively where he struggles most. And that was evident from goals conceded at previous clubs. 

The players appear not coached to be aggressive and to have the correct/normal degree of urgency in defence, it's like the coolness on the ball permeates into coolness off it. This seems like a philosophy of RM's but it clearly does not work under pressure. 

I assume our opposition's possession averages at about 35%. The fact we've conceded the amount we have must break records given how little of the ball teams have against us.

It doesn't matter having a +GD overall when key games are drawn or lost regularly.

The torn is he has got us playing lovely football I often enjoy when it mixes possession with attacking intent. He seems a nice man and has some positive player management qualities and speaks about caring for the whole club. I don't dismiss these things. 

But something needs to change about that philosophy including when to do normal football things during a game based on what is happening, he seems to be quicker to alter it when things are going well than when they're not. And often the subs are questionable.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

we were flat track bullies

Our record against the top 6 can’t be particularly good, which doesn’t bode well for the play offs. I’ve always fancied RussBall to come good at the end of a tiring season at strength sapping Wembley, but now starting to think our lack of bollocks will see us off in the semis. 

5 hours ago, saint lard said:

We must have won 'best squad', I read it on here a dozen times a day. Interesting to see how many players will get into the team of the year? Probably KWP and maybe Arma or Downes? THB seems to have gone a little bit under the radar in the wider scheme of things.

55 minutes ago, sandwichsaint said:

We must have won 'best squad', I read it on here a dozen times a day. Interesting to see how many players will get into the team of the year? Probably KWP and maybe Arma or Downes? THB seems to have gone a little bit under the radar in the wider scheme of things.

RM was very confident Baz would be in the team of the year. I'm sure he's still on target....

20 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Best Possession Percentages Not Converted Into Points

Best Pointless Meddling With A Defence

Best Inability To Save Anything

Best Invention Of A Made-Up Position For Jack Stephens

We’ve swept the board! 

Longest amount of games unbeaten without achieving anything

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

You can't dissolve Martin of all blame, everyone is accountable to some point. In the PL, Bednarek struggled I'll give you, but at this level he is probably as good as you're going to get. He hasn't been shit this year, far from it. One of the best CB's in this league.

It wasn't Bednarek, the board or Marie the tea lady who decided Jack Stephens had to be in the team at all costs, at the expense of the settled back 4. That was on Martin and that will always be the pivotal reason we chucked it.

I'm not dissolving him of all blame, but conversely he is also not completely to blame for us being behind 2 teams with better players and Ipswich who clearly have a very, very good manager. 

As said, if we had a better keeper and striker we'd probably be top. We'd have beaten Millwall, Rotherham, Boro, Ipswich the other day just off the top of my head, so what is that, an extra 10 points? 

What does make me chuckle is the amount of shit he gets for breaking a settled back 4. 

That settled back 4 conceded 3 against Huddersfield at St Mary's, 3 at Bristol City, 0 at WBA, and 2 at home to Hull, averaging 2 per game. Maybe that's why he changed it, because we were doing pretty shit with that amazingly settled, highly talented back 4.

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 2