Russell Martin

LegalEagle

Steve Cooper is a class manager, have wanted him for a while and always expected Forest to pull the trigger at some point, but that looks dead in the water now. Not that our wankers would have been interested in him. 

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 5

Just like the last two managerial appointments we have entered underwhelming territory once again, Hope I'm proved wrong but Sports Republic really do seem the most clueless owners we've had in some decades, who is making the big decisions at the club and not learning from past mistakes? 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Well I for one hope his football is more interesting than his name 😂 Nathan Jones, Russell Martin guess the next manager will be John Smith! Sports republic love a good name 😜

His real name is Martin Russell but his agent advised him to change it to provide more mystique! 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Mixedkebab said:

Clinging on to the fact that Pochettino seemed to be a mad decision, he’d seemed to have achieved fuck all as manager too and our fans were melting down.

You get the right fit for a club now and again, let’s hope Russell Harty is ours 

Not sure if intended, or a Freudian slip, but made I laugh...(as I've heard said near Bristol ..)

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I don't get it? What's the issue?

Other than a deluded Swansea fan thinking they're bigger than us. 

3 hours ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Saint Rob on twitter has told the Swansea fans that we're a bigger club than them, and I for one believe him. 

Social media, at its best... 

10 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

David Jones - promoted Stockport, Ian branfoot - promoted reading, lawrie - won the fourth division with Grimsby

Russell Martin - achieved the square root of fuck all

Not sure what point you are making?

Lawrie had also won Div 4 with Doncaster a few seasons before, and I think the season before we nabbed him he had taken Grimsby (as a newly promoted team I think) into the promotion race in Div 3. 

Not too sure I'd want to use Dave Jones or Branfoot to support my case, but factually it's correct both had been promoted before arriving at The Dell.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Badger said:

Lawrie had also won Div 4 with Doncaster a few seasons before, and I think the season before we nabbed him he had taken Grimsby (as a newly promoted team I think) into the promotion race in Div 3. 

Not too sure I'd want to use Dave Jones or Branfoot to support my case, but factually it's correct both had been promoted before arriving at The Dell.

My point was all those mentioned had achieved more than Russell Martin. It's a bizarre gamble at a time where I'm not sure we can afford the risk.

• Like 1

I have not made my mind up yet about Martin.

but got thinking about the comments made so far that allude to doing better, and going for proven experience etc.. we are not the 1st team to be relegated into the championship with potential some decent cash from sales.

So had a look on trasfermarkt to see who are the best managers from a points per match perspective over the last 10 years. Simply to see who has actually been employed or more likely who was persuaded to join

This is open to interpretation but the only managers that stood out as a true coup are Rafa and Bielsa. Have to admit to not sure if Nuno Espírito Santo fits here as no idea if his record in Portugal meant wolves pulled a blinder to get him

there are a few who I might qualify as lucky gamble ie their standing in the game and early success albeit in very different leagues paid off and would be kompany and Carrick

then there are those who had done well in higher or other leagues but then also failed at clubs. I put silva in this category. He was out of work for 18 months before Fulham called. 

the rest had good reputations at clubs but  made their name with the club who gave them a chance to step up. Farke, Xisco Munoz, Dyche, Parker

Whether you agree with the above, the thing that stood out for me was overall it did not come across as an exciting  list but reflects what pulling power championship clubs actually have (not great).

One poster earlier mentioned  felt we have probably been burnt too much by the Nathan Jones appointment and this clouds our view of another mid table championship manager who had good metrics. I still feel managers suit clubs at certian times. Look at Koeman, absolute perfect timing for us and loathed at Everton. Sometimes it just has to fit and be the right time. Jones may still have worked if we appointed him in the summer or right now (media training apart).

https://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/erfolgreichetrainer/wettbewerb/GB2/plus/?aktiveTrainer=&saisonIdVon=2012&saisonIdBis=2022&anzahl=25&group=

Edited by saint in Den Haag
  • Like 4

Rumour has it that Tony Mowbray might be on his way out of Sunderland. He'd be a better option.

Jokanovic took Watford and Fulham up. Not sure what went on at Sheff Utd, but his record is better than Russell Martin's so he's another option that's been overlooked.

Chris Hughton would be another good experienced option as would Potter or Rodgers but our board doesn't seem to value experience at all. Instead they'd rather take another risk on a young, relatively inexperienced manager. I just don't get it. Have they ot learned from this season that you need experience on the pitch and at management level?

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

5 hours ago, Doctoroncall said:

I think we do the faffing around at the back very well, it’s the move forward we are shit at. If the next manager can help resolve that, would you be happier?

We don’t need the faffing around at the back in order to move forward quicker and more effectively. In fact the faffing around only works against that. It’s far too slow to have any point.

I think all the 'unite the fanbase' stuff is massively overplayed. Just look at how many of our fanbase were lauding the summer transfer window of 2022 as an eight or nine out of ten. Turns out it was utter shite and we bought a load of pap, while failing to address the one area that literally everybody knew we needed to address.

I'd rather they just make the hire of their convictions and then make sure they're actually empowered to gut this terrible squad out and have the resources available to go and bring in the players to do things the way they want to, not the way Ankersen tries to push.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Roo1976 said:

crumbs this blokes already got 12 pages of is he or isnt he....wearing Harmony Hairspray ?

Have finished your sentence for you.

For those old enough to remember it.
(Did they sponsor Radio Luxembourg Top 40 in the 70’s  ? Vague recollection.) 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

My point was all those mentioned had achieved more than Russell Martin. It's a bizarre gamble at a time where I'm not sure we can afford the risk.

I was agreeing with your point rather than challenging it.

As I see it the appointment of a Championship mid table manager with no previous promotions or success makes the selection of Jones (after his part in Luton’s rise up the league) credible. 

If Rasmus and SR had shown the Midas touch in earlier recruitment you’d be relaxed about it and expect the best. From most of what we’ve seen of them, prepare for more muppetry . 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, benali-shorts said:

Steve Cooper just saying that he’s not sure possession football works that well any more, and high tempo is more effective. Rasmus will use this ignorant waffle to fuel his single-minded conquering of the football world. 

Man city says hello

11 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

to be fair the owner bloke is spot on with his comments, this isnt the win the fan thinks it is.

looks like one of those typical people from every fanbase. fair play to the owner (?) for calling out his annoying bollocks. also swansea much bigger than saints? 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Rumour has it that Tony Mowbray might be on his way out of Sunderland. He'd be a better option.

Jokanovic took Watford and Fulham up. Not sure what went on at Sheff Utd, but his record is better than Russell Martin's so he's another option that's been overlooked.

Chris Hughton would be another good experienced option as would Potter or Rodgers but our board doesn't seem to value experience at all. Instead they'd rather take another risk on a young, relatively inexperienced manager. I just don't get it. Have they ot learned from this season that you need experience on the pitch and at management level?

Jokanovic is a decent shout tbh, not sure what he's been up to lately but has a good record in the Championship.

But a big no thanks to Hughton and Mowbray. Hughton did  get Brighton promoted but went very stale in his last year or so and then was a big flop at Forest with the same team that Cooper got promoted. Quite a dull and defensive brand of football too. Mowbray has plenty of experience in the Championship but his record is nothing special and he's a miserable bastard, don't think I've ever seen him smile. Potter and Rodgers will believe they can still get a Prem job so never realistic options.

I'm on the fence about Martin. A bit underwhelmed but he clearly has something about him. If we give him the right squad of players to fit how he wants to play, I think we could do well.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

looks like one of those typical people from every fanbase. fair play to the owner (?) for calling out his annoying bollocks. also swansea much bigger than saints? 😂

Thought the owner came across well in that exchange. I liked the final message which fans of all clubs should listen to. None of us really know the details of what's going on in the background in their clubs but are happy to publicly abuse owners, employees etc.

Screenshot_2023-05-21-09-02-06-41_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Thought the owner came across well in that exchange. I liked the final message which fans of all clubs should listen to. None of us really know the details of what's going on in the background in their clubs but are happy to publicly abuse owners, employees etc.

yes, it was an excellent response. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Cat said:

More evidence we need a fan on the board so we know exactly what is going on

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Have SR actually interviewed/ considered anyone else, or have they just decided from the outset that he’s the right guy so it’s not really worth considering or meeting any other candidates?

Isn't that what happened with Jones? Nobody else was interviewed. Ankerson wanted Jones and no one else was considered?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Have SR actually interviewed/ considered anyone else, or have they just decided from the outset that he’s the right guy so it’s not really worth considering or meeting any other candidates?

We might not ever know, or perhaps something will come out at a later date (Potter or Rodgers for example in an interview later in their career). But the club aren’t going to say they interviewed three/four candidates, and were rejected by two, passed on the other before their offer was made.

Whatever the truth, whoever is appointed, will always have been our number one target. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Isn't that what happened with Jones? Nobody else was interviewed. Ankerson wanted Jones and no one else was considered?

Thought I read somewhere (possibly on here) that someone else - can’t recall who- had been spoken to, but that was always a back up plan.

Rumours on here also of Dyche being seen at a hotel near Aegeas Bowl about a month before Ralph left. No idea if either true, or if connected in anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

Thought I read somewhere (possibly on here) that someone else - can’t recall who- had been spoken to, but that was always a back up plan.

Rumours on here also of Dyche being seen at a hotel near Aegeas Bowl about a month before Ralph left. No idea if either true, or if connected in anyway. 

Think there was mention of the Torino guy, no idea if he was ever interviewed though. 

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Therein lies the problem. With social media nowadays assumptions and conjecture get widely disseminated very quickly and before you know it, become “facts”. Misinformation spreads like wildfire thanks to the ease of communication and the huge public desire for information. You can’t blame any club for trying to keep their cards close to their chests and trying to control the narrative, but at the same time the huge interest to find out what is going on creates a vacuum that needs to be filled. As we know, much of what it is filled with invariably comes from someone’s vivid imagination.

I don’t envy SR, or anyone else running a football club for that matter. They came in with great expectations after the doldrums of the Gao reign and not only have they failed to take us forwards, they have actually taken us backwards (the old adage be careful what you wish for springs to mind). I do not doubt that decisions have been made with the best of intentions and for reasons that have well thought through from their end. Isn’t that all we can ask of a management team, that they do their best to make the right decisions at the right time? I am sure that they didn’t deliberately get the recruitment wrong and would imagine they they are just as frustrated as we are over the poor performances and, ultimately, relegation.

It is bad enough for us. If you are part of the team that made various wrong calls, I imagine it feels worse as the buck stops with you. That doesn’t make them immune to criticism, but at the same time, if you are not sitting in board room meetings you really do not know why various decisions were made and what other variables were at play. As has been said, we often hear, years later, of certain managers and players who were being considered at the time but didn’t happen for one reason or another.

SR aren’t going anywhere anytime soon so we have to hope that they have learned lessons from this dreadful season and put measures into place to improve and take the club forward again next season. Every season three clubs find themselves in exactly the same position that we are in and there is no immunity for clubs like us. Yes, it sucks, but I believe that the owners, Ralph, Jones and Selles will all be feeling choked about this season too and whatever their shortcomings, no one deliberately set out to get us relegated.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Therein lies the problem. With social media nowadays assumptions and conjecture get widely disseminated very quickly and before you know it, become “facts”. Misinformation spreads like wildfire thanks to the ease of communication and the huge public desire for information. You can’t blame any club for trying to keep their cards close to their chests and trying to control the narrative, but at the same time the huge interest to find out what is going on creates a vacuum that needs to be filled. As we know, much of what it is filled with invariably comes from someone’s vivid imagination.

I don’t envy SR, or anyone else running a football club for that matter. They came in with great expectations after the doldrums of the Gao reign and not only have they failed to take us forwards, they have actually taken us backwards (the old adage be careful what you wish for springs to mind). I do not doubt that decisions have been made with the best of intentions and for reasons that have well thought through from their end. Isn’t that all we can ask of a management team, that they do their best to make the right decisions at the right time? I am sure that they didn’t deliberately get the recruitment wrong and would imagine they they are just as frustrated as we are over the poor performances and, ultimately, relegation.

It is bad enough for us. If you are part of the team that made various wrong calls, I imagine it feels worse as the buck stops with you. That doesn’t make them immune to criticism, but at the same time, if you are not sitting in board room meetings you really do not know why various decisions were made and what other variables were at play. As has been said, we often hear, years later, of certain managers and players who were being considered at the time but didn’t happen for one reason or another.

SR aren’t going anywhere anytime soon so we have to hope that they have learned lessons from this dreadful season and put measures into place to improve and take the club forward again next season. Every season three clubs find themselves in exactly the same position that we are in and there is no immunity for clubs like us. Yes, it sucks, but I believe that the owners, Ralph, Jones and Selles will all be feeling choked about this season too and whatever their shortcomings, no one deliberately set out to get us relegated.

If it's very much a question of have they learned from their mistakes then I would ask have they up to now admitted/accepted they made some? Next week's statement will tell us more I guess but I didn't see too much humility in last week's message.

• Like 2

I sort of think for anyone to have any opinion of anything championship you need to of least watched 15 games this season.

I've only watched Luton a few times (on TV) but aside from the headlines I've got no idea on players, systems or managers this season.

I saw Martin's name last season being linked with other jobs, I've not watched Swansea since beat them to stay up.

Does anyone on here genuinely watch enough champs football to be a decent source so I can pay attention to your posts more or are we just using the web?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

If it's very much a question of have they learned from their mistakes then I would ask have they up to now admitted/accepted they made some? Next week's statement will tell us more I guess but I didn't see too much humility in last week's message.

Looked like it was written by ChatGPT

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

It seems as though we approached Enzo Maresca (City shock horror) and he turned us down 

• Like 1

Interesting about Maresca. Think that's further proof that Wilcox is heavily involved with this decision and should relax a few of the "SR chose it so it must be awful" narratives. Of course it's foolish to think SR and Wilcox aren't aligned but clear desire to be better in possession is a fundamental driver for this managerial choice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Thats what I'm asking too which I alluded to in an earlier post.

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Hopefully all this Russell Martin talk is just a smokescreen to help get the real candidate to sign.

Can you think of another time where a media link has been made up as a smokescreen for someone else? Because i can't.

I see this all the time with players or links to managers etc, it's just media chat, smokescreen to keep the real news quiet etc etc. It's nonsense.

Martin is our new manager.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1