Russell Martin

LegalEagle

46 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

For a forum that is so desperate to be annoyed this place continues to amaze how spectacularly wrong it can still be.

There’s legit concerns to be had by the defensive record of this guys teams yet all the standard dinosaurs on this forum are frothing at the mouth because he might coach us to put a few passes together. 

Not a hint of irony at all

Absolutely magnificent 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Interesting point about wide men and lack of 1v1 players. 

Based on that, sounds like players like Djenepo / sulemana would be really important. 

Also found it interesting that Piroe is pretty naff in front of goal, not a No9 and is better in the 10… we’ve plenty of them, so think we should avoid. 

It did make Piroe sound a little bit like Che Adams!

15 minutes ago, manji said:

Where anywhere does it say we are getting Martin ? Again it wouldn’t be announced until Selles contract is finished. All the articles are littered with journalistic get out phrases. Expected, The Echo believes, it is understood, have heard, not one definitive statement.

Fucking clickbait bollocks probably agent driven. 

Adam Blackmore being quoted he’s not part of the inside crew anymore which would explain the rise in his criticism of Saints.

I believe its all but done and would imagine announced within a week or so but almost certainly within 2….

20 minutes ago, manji said:

Where anywhere does it say we are getting Martin ? Again it wouldn’t be announced until Selles contract is finished. All the articles are littered with journalistic get out phrases. Expected, The Echo believes, it is understood, have heard, not one definitive statement.

Adam Blackmore being quoted he’s not part of the inside crew anymore which would explain the rise in his criticism of Saints.

When it does happen will you just write off all these reports as just lucky guesses or a massive coincidence?

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

If we were raid Swansea I’d possibly be more interested in Grimes or Manning tbh

Not sure what to make of Piroe

Manning has just been released. We probably need a LB as well, to be honest. 

That being said, when was the last time we got a new manager who brought a full back with him, who cost us peanuts.. 👀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

It's the number of passes that causes the opposition to lose focus and allow the goal. It's very hard to press for that amount of time. The only team huffing and puffing is the one chasing the ball all round the pitch

The thing that I noticed when I watched that goal was the lack of press from the opposition. With a proper press, that goal wouldn't have happened. 

27 minutes ago, manji said:

Did you just copy and paste your posts about Nathan Jones appointment and change the names?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Manning has just been released. We probably need a LB as well, to be honest. 

That being said, when was the last time we got a new manager who brought a full back with him, who cost us peanuts.. 👀

Are you talking about the greatest manager Europe has ever seen 😍

42 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

The new manager hasn't even started yet!

:) 

Just letting him (her) know what’s expected of them.

Let’s be honest, this faffing around at the back has been going on for the past season or more and we don’t do it very well. At the pace we do it all it does is give the opposition a breather and a chance to regroup.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, egg said:

The thing that I noticed when I watched that goal was the lack of press from the opposition. With a proper press, that goal wouldn't have happened. 

Maybe they would have played through the press if there had been one?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Let’s be honest, this faffing around at the back has been going on for the past season or more and we don’t do it very well. At the pace we do it all it does is give the opposition a breather and a chance to regroup.

I do think it's tough for teams at the bottom of the table to do but we're a big fish now and ought to be able to play it

6 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Maybe they would have played through the press if there had been one?

Maybe, but his teams passing was hardly incisive, and there wasn't a whole lot of movement. The opposition mostly let them have the ball. The main concern for me though is how badly set up his team must be to concede do many goals despite having hold of the ball for most of the game. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, egg said:

Try and press against that and you'll be knackered after an hour. That's the theory anyway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

No one is frothing at the mouth, there have actually been lots of reasoned posts and some really good debates. The concerns and doubts people have are totally founded, but I wouldn't say those doubts equate to people frothing at the mouth like you proclaim.

It feels like you are sensationalising peoples views to try and make them look worse than they are.

6 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I hope this is a wind-up but if not then b*llocks to Semmens and Anderson and anybody else who had a finger in this particular pie. That's me done and dusted with your whole bloody excuse for a football club.

Still that's one thing to strike off my "to do" list. 

Great start to uniting the fanbase. Typical Saints whoever happens to be running the show. 

FFS

3 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Fucking turd appointment.

Pass, pass, Z z z z 

Do me a favour and stop playing games by appointing one shit manager after another.

If Martin did work then he would be off in a shot as he offers no loyalty to any employers in his career.

7 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

If this is remotely true I'm not sure what wankerson is seeing in his magic stats, but if we're after someone who has lost more than he's won (yes I know there is one game in it) then we must be desperate for mediocrity.

Another "trying to be clever" appointment - looks like wankerson has learned nothing.

Just a few of the examples. Little reasonable debate to be had here and this doesn’t include the NUMEROUS posts that just say ‘possession in our own half with no purpose zzzz’ which as I’ve stated is just fundamentally incorrect. 

There is some rationale debate on here but a lot of it is underpinned by this belief that his Swansea team doesn’t attack 😂

• Like 3

Didn't know much about him before we were linked but he seems a reasonable suggestion. 

Many of the negative posts on here seem, to me, to sound entitled and lacking credible alternatives. 

PV seems to be a common preferred option, who just got sacked after leading a team with decent attacking players to something like 4 games without a shot! 

I want a decent man manager, who can reset the negative mentality, ideally with experience of this league and to play decent football. 

All the media reports, and most fan reports suggest he fits those. 

Any manager is a risk, I don't see this as playing around. 

The other really key thing is to act quickly, and we appear to be doing that. (although couple of posters moan about that!) 

Can't say it excites me more cautiously optimistic. 

And it's rubbish to say he won't attract good players, the club and salary will take care of that. 

• Like 4

Despite all the apparently mouth frothing, I think he CAN be a great appointment.

All depends on the players we bring in, otherwise it will be a disaster. 

Anyone have faith we will bring in the players (and goals) needed to challenge for the top 2?

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Despite all the apparently mouth frothing, I think he CAN be a great appointment.

Anyone have faith we will bring in the players (and goals) needed to challenge for the top 2?

Yeah I tend to agree with this, in order to be able to be successful he’ll almost certainly need to be able to sign a couple of players that fit what he wants to achieve

Thankfully the reports/whispers are that SR are willing to back us into a promotion push, lets just hope we can identify/sign the players we need

IMO we definitely need a No.6 unless by some miracle Lavia remains, we need a LB because Perraud is off (Manning ?), Tella or a new RW and obviously whoever else we’ll potentially lose

• Like 1

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

Yeah I tend to agree with this, in order to be able to be successful he’ll almost certainly need to be able to sign a couple of players that fit what he wants to achieve

Thankfully the reports/whispers are that SR are willing to back us into a promotion push, lets just hope we can identify/sign the players we need

IMO we definitely need a No.6 unless by some miracle Lavia remains, we need a LB because Perraud is off (Manning ?), Tella or a new RW and obviously whoever else we’ll potentially lose

This is a real chance for SR to stamp their authority on everything...with so many first team players set to leave, and apparent cash behind them...we have the edge on most teams with parachute payments...2 seasons for a real go to get back.

Of course, we need goals.......I kind of hope Adam Armstrong stays. Yes, shite in the Premier League, playing wide etc....but a new start here may get some goals out of him, in a league he has succeeded in previously

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Ben Wilson    Coventry City

Connor Roberts    Burnley

Anel Ahmedhodzic    Sheffield United

Tom Lockyer    Luton Town

Ian Maatsen    Burnley

Alex Scott    Bristol City

Josh Brownhill    Burnley

Nathan Tella    Burnley

Iliman Ndiaye    Sheffield United

Chuba Akpom    Middlesbrough

Viktor Gyokeres    Coventry City

Thats the Championship team of the year, if we can keep a few, sign a few, should be able to be competitive. 

Not many of those were seen as stars 12 months ago. 

8 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

To be honest I can see us losing more than an entire team, and we’re going to need replacements in almost every position. I think Bazunu stays, and hopefully Livramento too given the nature of his injury. But I could put together a proper XI of players I think will leave: Big Willy, KWP, ABK, Salisu, Perraud, Lavia, JWP, AMN, Alcaraz, Adams, Walcott. Then add in others that could go; I’m thinking Stephens will go, Bednarek might get some interest, Orsic will surely go, Eluseless and Diallo look likely to be off, and there’s been reported interest in others like Lyanco and DCC. So, yep, this is going to need a monumental overhaul if just half of those players leave.

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

This is a real chance for SR to stamp their authority on everything...with so many first team players set to leave, and apparent cash behind them...we have the edge on most teams with parachute payments...2 seasons for a real go to get back.

Of course, we need goals.......I kind of hope Adam Armstrong stays. Yes, shite in the Premier League, playing wide etc....but a new start here may get some goals out of him, in a league he has succeeded in previously

Ive said before, they genuinely want us back in the prem, then they want us to push on… they got it very wrong last year, all ends up.. both on and off the field

I do hope that they’ve learnt, but proof will be in the pudding, they need to back Martin effectively and get the bulk of the backroom appointments done ASAP

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

To be honest I can see us losing more than an entire team, and we’re going to need replacements in almost every position. I think Bazunu stays, and hopefully Livramento too given the nature of his injury. But I could put together a proper XI of players I think will leave: Big Willy, KWP, ABK, Salisu, Perraud, Lavia, JWP, AMN, Alcaraz, Adams, Walcott. Then add in others that could go; I’m thinking Stephens will go, Bednarek might get some interest, Orsic will surely go, Eluseless and Diallo look likely to be off, and there’s been reported interest in others like Lyanco and DCC. So, yep, this is going to need a monumental overhaul if just half of those players leave.

TBH I don’t think you’re far from the truth, I do think/optimistic that both Tino and Alcaraz stay perhaps Adams.. but yeah I can see the majority of the rest leaving. I think we’ll hold onto Bednarek, not sure about DCC. Ely is definitely gone, Perraud basically definitely gone I believe, Diallo is very probable.

Lots of work to do tbh

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

TBH I don’t think you’re far from the truth, I do think/optimistic that both Tino and Alcaraz stay perhaps Adams.. but yeah I can see the majority of the rest leaving. I think we’ll hold onto Bednarek, not sure about DCC. Ely is definitely gone, Perraud basically definitely gone I believe, Diallo is very probable.

Lots of work to do tbh

Most should go, really. They struggled against lower league sides, especially Grimsby, so I won’t shed any tears over any leaving.

31 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I don't get it? What's the issue?

Other than a deluded Swansea fan thinking they're bigger than us. We're not massive by any means but Swansea aren't even the biggest club in South Wales

• Like 2

Much has been made over the goals conceded stats for Swansea playing Martin’s possession based style. I’ve just had a look on Opta Analyst and the stats show the following for open play goals for and against, which I think is most relevant to style:

Shots for - 4th

Expected goals for - 5th 

Goals actual - 4th

Shots against - 23rd

Expected goals against - 20th

Goals against actual - 11th

The fact Swansea finished on a GD of just +4 looks down to the quality of players, their goalkeeper let in 14 goals more that expected over the full season for example. Limiting your opponents to the fewest shots after the runaway champions doesn’t look like a passive style that gives loads of chances away.

I know footy isn’t played on a spreadsheet, even if Rasmus thinks it is. However, the underlying stats do suggest that Swansea create a lot of chances and give away few chances. My hope is with a bigger budget and better quality players, Saints would see a much higher league finish and an improved defensive record compared to Martin’s 2 seasons at Swansea.

• Like 4

Been thinking about Russell, as one does.  As I said previously, lots of NJ flashbacks in terms of how things have developed in the media and on here. If it all goes horribly wrong we are likely to see a hybrid of the limitations of Jones and Selles - a wide eyed well presented basket case. However, that said, I think there is a chance he could be our new Nigel, a bit goofy and off the wall, but ultimately a likeable decent bloke who players and fans can buy into whilst ignoring the foibles.  Proper 50/50.  I’ve watched some of his football and interviews at Swansea over the past few days as I did with NJ and no obvious personality disorder / imposter sirens this time. Assuming he’s appointed before our last game he’s going to have a decent amount of time to set things up and assuming SR are good to their word, funds to put together a team to compete for a first time promotion attempt. I know it’s stating the bleedin’ obvious but if he’s the man then for Ankersen and Wilcox then not much we can do other than stay positive until our eyes and instincts tell us otherwise. Christ the club needs a positive break. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, West end Saints said:

Ian Maatsen    Burnley

Nathan Tella    Burnley

Thats the Championship team of the year, if we can keep a few, sign a few, should be able to be competitive. 

Good job we grabbed Adams and Armstrong when we did then before anybody else got a sniff.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Much has been made over the goals conceded stats for Swansea playing Martin’s possession based style. I’ve just had a look on Opta Analyst and the stats show the following for open play goals for and against, which I think is most relevant to style:

Shots for - 4th

Expected goals for - 5th 

Goals actual - 4th

Shots against - 23rd

Expected goals against - 20th

Goals against actual - 11th

The fact Swansea finished on a GD of just +4 looks down to the quality of players, their goalkeeper let in 14 goals more that expected over the full season for example. Limiting your opponents to the fewest shots after the runaway champions doesn’t look like a passive style that gives loads of chances away.

I know footy isn’t played on a spreadsheet, even if Rasmus thinks it is. However, the underlying stats do suggest that Swansea create a lot of chances and give away few chances. My hope is with a bigger budget and better quality players, Saints would see a much higher league finish and an improved defensive record compared to Martin’s 2 seasons at Swansea.

20th out of 24 teams for "expected goals against" doesn't sound that great to me?

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I think we do the faffing around at the back very well, it’s the move forward we are shit at. If the next manager can help resolve that, would you be happier?

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Did you just copy and paste your posts about Nathan Jones appointment and change the names?

I should know better. Like you we’ve been members of this forums for a long time. I read your posts sometimes I ignore them, sometimes agree or disagree. But couldn’t remember one of your from a couple of weeks back. 
Maybe I should start just posting short negative replies just to get the likes.

Not just you there’s a couple like you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I don't get it? What's the issue?

Other than a deluded Swansea fan thinking they're bigger than us. We're not massive by any means but Swansea aren't even the biggest club in South Wales

I actually thought it a bit weird that Saints fans actually jumped on that thread and started going ‘we’re bigger than you’ 

I mean is there any need? We’re hardly streets ahead, size wise

• Like 3

3 hours ago, West end Saints said:

Ian Maatsen    Burnley

Nathan Tella    Burnley

Alex Scott heading to the PL , surely ?

Well I for one hope his football is more interesting than his name 😂 Nathan Jones, Russell Martin guess the next manager will be John Smith! Sports republic love a good name 😜

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, manji said:

I should know better. Like you we’ve been members of this forums for a long time. I read your posts sometimes I ignore them, sometimes agree or disagree. But couldn’t remember one of your from a couple of weeks back. 
Maybe I should start just posting short negative replies just to get the likes.

Not just you there’s a couple like you.

Or just stop posting all together because 99% of it is fucking nonsense. 

• Like 1