Russell Martin

LegalEagle

8 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

It would be absolute madness to appoint him.  The stats demonstrate that.  Would be another Johnny Cleverbollocks appointment, doomed to fail.

What is the fucking point of continually passing sideways and backwards?  Certainly wouldn’t encourage me the renew my season ticket.  Would be the same shit I’ve endured this season, just in a different league.

6th lowest possession stats in the league but somehow people still chat this shite. We’re absolutely clueless in possession and that includes keeping it. Appointing a manager who seems to be able to coach it and has demonstrated his ability to transfer it into the 4th highest scorers in the league seems like a move in the right direction and certainly not the same shite we’ve watched all season.

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

6th lowest possession stats in the league but somehow people still chat this shite. We’re absolutely clueless in possession and that includes keeping it. Appointing a manager who seems to be able to coach it and has demonstrated his ability to transfer it into the 4th highest scorers in the league seems like a move in the right direction and certainly not the same shite we’ve watched all season.

Selective stats. You forget to mention that only 4 championship teams conceded more goals than Swansea, and that 3 of those got relegated. The bloke seems incapable of coaching a solid defence.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

That article is a year old fwiw.

This season they're statistically not too different from Burnley. Possession is basically the same (ever so slightly less) and shots per game is also ever so slightly less. They scored 20 goals less than Burnley, suggesting that if you give this guy better quality in the final third than he currently has it might yield similar results to Burnley. Therein lies the problem of course, whether we've got/will have the attack to deliver but the fundamentals of Martins Swansea are not dissimilar to a team that swept away the Championship this year.

image.png.208456355697daca54ab05f0190a3080.pngimage.png.07bdee0ab858c1cd9f9770cb46b6dd97.png

Good post.

This is the type of stats-based stuff I quite enjoy; and that RA clearly gets a stiffy over.

So...all things being as they were, but Swansea having better stiking options, and they get much closer to Burnley. Therefore Martin is great. And since we've got more ££ and will likely have a much better squad next season than Swansea had this, he'll help us win the league. Simples.

Except for all the variables that don't crop up on excel, like man-management, rebuilding the squad, player egos, behind-the-scenes issues in the club, buying players based on stats etc etc.

I do hope RA/Wilcox will make due consideration of the non-stats stuff when they make their decision.

1 minute ago, egg said:

Selective stats. You forget to mention that only 4 championship teams conceded more goals than Swansea, and that 3 of those got relegated. The bloke seems incapable of coaching a solid defence.

I didn’t forget to mention that, I didn’t feel it was relevant to the point the guy made about possession. You’re right though, there’s clear question marks about Swansea too, but if people are going to be angry about the appointment at least make it about the goals conceded rather than ‘pointless possession’ 😂

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 100%Red&White said:

I think it will be interesting to see whether Selles is sent packing or if part of the deal for whoever's coming in is accommodating him in some kind of coaching role, hence the low bar with names linked. Clean sweep needed but beginning to sound like just more of the same tedious tactics. I'm not feeling enthused.

Selles said in his pre-match press conference today that he would only want stay on at Saints as the manager.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I didn’t forget to mention that, I didn’t feel it was relevant to the point the guy made about possession. You’re right though, there’s clear question marks about Swansea too, but if people are going to be angry about the appointment at least make it about the goals conceded rather than ‘pointless possession’ 😂

Lots of possession is pointless if you concede loads of goals when out of possession! If his team scores loads more than it concedes then your point is  valid. The reality though is that the goals for AND against are the only relevant stat in football. Looking at that stat, and where Swansea have finished in the league, confirms to me that possession counts for nothing, and suggests that something is fundamentally wrong in how he sets his teams.

58 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

I genuinely assumed that the NJ debacle would see the forced cessation of little Rasmus Ankersen's soccerball work experience programme, with Solak and Kraft closing ranks.  Not so sure given the current jungle drums, but early days perhaps.  Worst case scenario would be the uber-narcissist Ankersen pressing ahead with his data-advised choice and Wilcox deciding he wont be moving south after all. 

I was thinking,  why are they letting Rambo run wild again with his recent track record, then it occurred to me, can he actually be reigned in? Who is there to pull rank? I assume Dragan could withdraw his bankrolling, but what else can be done?

Ps, I really don’t understand how the ownership model works, who owns what, how many companies there are in the chain. Pps Please don’t feel it’s necessary to explain 

• Like 2

And while I’m full intellectual mode, bollox to stats, bollox to X anything’s, bollox to managers I’d never knew existed until their names cropped up on here .Please just get the right bloke in to make us feel like Saints again. I don’t even care about getting promoted that much, I just want to reconnect with the club, the players, see some wins, see some goals and hear some atmosphere in sms. It’s been a long time since there has been any feelgood in connection with supporting Saints 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Football has a terrible habit and track record of employing average people. After the debacle of this season, in any other walk of life the whole of this board would have been sacked. Instead they’re going to be allowed to make the same stupid mistakes all over again. And even that won’t be enough to get them gone. 

All I can say is that Dragan must have more money than sense. These guys running our club wouldn’t get such a high paid job anywhere else based on their performance. It really has been horrific since they stepped in. Careful what you wish for - I would give anything for the days of Gao to return.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

Football has a terrible habit and track record of employing average people. After the debacle of this season, in any other walk of life the whole of this board would have been sacked. Instead they’re going to be allowed to make the same stupid mistakes all over again. And even that won’t be enough to get them gone. 

All I can say is that Dragan must have more money than sense. These guys running our club wouldn’t get such a high paid job anywhere else based on their performance. It really has been horrific since they stepped in. Careful what you wish for - I would give anything for the days of Gao to return.

Agreed. Gao was criticised by many, but in reality all he did 'wrong' was not sink money into the club, and that seems to be cos his government wouldn't allow it. The club was a tight ship under his ownership. Fast forward to now, we've had cash spent but managed to go backwards. This season proves that all that glitters ain't gold. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

I believe Steele is going? And rumours that Semmens is too. RA won't be going anywhere, since he is a part owner.

Will be interesting to see if SR do make the same mistakes again, a fresh and novel bunch of new mistakes, or get more things right than wrong.

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

You must be fucking joking.  How many games have you watched this season?  All we do is knock it sideways and backwards, very little width, no penetration, but tons of possession. What the fuck are the goal kicks about?  This obsession with possession is absolute bollocks.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

You must be fucking joking.  How many games have you watched this season?  All we do is knock it sideways and backwards, very little width, no penetration, but tons of possession. What the fuck are the goal kicks about?  This obsession with possession is absolute bollocks.

Point I’m making is we don’t do possession very well and a move to being better at it seems sensible.

Edited by Fabrice29

57 minutes ago, egg said:

Lots of possession is pointless if you concede loads of goals when out of possession! If his team scores loads more than it concedes then your point is  valid. The reality though is that the goals for AND against are the only relevant stat in football. Looking at that stat, and where Swansea have finished in the league, confirms to me that possession counts for nothing, and suggests that something is fundamentally wrong in how he sets his teams.

Yep but you don’t just copy and paste his results at Swansea to us if we get him as manager. You hope that he brings the good stuff and in a different environment he has the solutions to smooth out the bad stuff right? That’s the whole point of appointing a manager. We want you to bring certain qualities and hopefully it improves what we have here already. That’s the risk with any manager.

Fundamentally our players haven’t been good enough this season and we’ll need squad building whoever is manager so that the player quality is improved. Any manager is at the hands of the quality of his squad and it’s something that all 3 managers we’ve had this season can point to as an excuse. However having a manager who has clearly shown he can improve something we’re really not good at right now, seems like a positive. Hopefully he can help us and we can help him by giving him a good squad.

• Like 2

First post since 2014, but regular reader so go easy on me here as it's a lengthy start..
I've never really watched Swansea and know nothing tangible about Russell Martin as a coach but went down a bit of a rabbit hole this morning in reference to the concerns around his mediocre league finishes, which I was also worried about.

I found the context behind it quite interesting.

19-20 - 1/2 season at MK Dons. Took over 21st, 3 points off safety and in a bad run. Finished 19th, 5 points clear. Got them safe and mild improvement.

20-21 - Lost their top scorer - squad got slightly younger with a few experienced heads. Finished the season 13th - 9 points off play-offs, 18 off relegation, applauded for their "style" but significant improvement on the previous year.

21-22 - Summer at MK, he signed Twine, Darling (both in Champ now) before leaving for Swansea in July post-Cooper, 2 weeks before the start of the season. Manning took over MK Dons and took the side to the play-offs. This season he lost both of those players, was sacked by Christmas and MK Dons finished 21st getting relegated. 

Swansea - Parachute payments stop and lots of wage-heavy (educated guess) outgoings. Lots of frees and loans, which I guess contributed to the "mutual consent" of Steve Cooper's end. Paid for Downes, Obafemi and Piroe. Finished 15th - which on paper doesn't look great as a position but lost a few players in the summer, including another top scorer in Ayew, and to add context (the Puel 8th on 46 points always bothered me) they had 61 points, which was 24 points off relegation. 

22-23 - Sold Downes to WHU for big profit and Obafemi in January, neither replaced with a fee (Joe Allen on a free and no new striker). Signed 2 x CB (Darling, Wood) and a few other youngsters who haven’t played a game yet and a few loans. Lost Obafemi in January (I know he's not Messi but wasn't replaced and played a lot). Finished 10th - 3 points off playoffs, 22 off relegation. An awful run post January and an unbeaten run to finish. The bad run is concerning but during that they lost to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5rd, 7th and 8th out of the 7 defeats in 9. 

Now looking at losing Manning (Champ TOTY), Latibeaudiere (supposedly rated, ex-City "Hi Jason") on frees and Joel Piroe (2 x top scorer) is in the last year of his deal with a number of rumoured suitors.

I'm not shouting his name from the rooftops, and I'm not crazy about any metrics SR will use to profile him. I'm the idealistic / unrealistic, throw the book at Potter type.

But I think, pulling back the curtain on the league finishes, he's done well under the respective circumstances. I'd far prefer him than a high profile ex-pro based off their playing career like Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Vieira etc. If we can't get the "reach for the stars" option I think he's not miles off next best. There seems to be some sort of background in stabilising then improving a team, that given our current off-field shitshow seems well suited. He has Champ experience as a coach, playing experience in the PL and plays a style of football that I personally would like to see and think (transfer dependent) could suit us. Outside of top-flight experience, I think he ticks a lot of boxes and if the speculation about having a big say in signings is true, seems to be able to spot a player (SR would love the profits) and would assumably have greater resources to do so. I am aware of the Nathan Jones water into wine likeness but A) he doesn't have a Stoke-esque failure on his CV at a larger club, B) I think we have to moderate expectations - this is probably the pool we're now swimming in and the time to go big was instead of NJ. C) For me, seeing an identity on the pitch that doesn't involve searching for the ball in the floodlights buys you some slack and D) he doesn't SEEM to be that type of deflective, immune to criticism narcissist that would alienate a fanbase after a couple of press conferences.

• Like 21

21 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Point I’m making is we don’t do possession very well and a move to being better at it seems sensible.

Fair point, but I wouldn’t touch this bloke with a barge pole.  It’s not like he’s had a lot of success at a lower level.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, littledavewatson said:

First post since 2014, but regular reader so go easy on me here as it's a lengthy start..
I've never really watched Swansea and know nothing tangible about Russell Martin as a coach but went down a bit of a rabbit hole this morning in reference to the concerns around his mediocre league finishes, which I was also worried about.

19-20 - 1/2 season at MK Dons. Took over 21st, 3 points off safety and in a bad run. Finished 19th, 5 points clear. Got them safe and mild improvement.

20-21 - Lost their top scorer - squad got slightly younger with a few experienced heads. Finished the season 13th - 9 points off play-offs, 18 off relegation, applauded for their "style" but significant improvement on the previous year.

21-22 - Summer at MK, he signed Twine, Darling (both in Champ now) before leaving for Swansea in July post-Cooper, 2 weeks before the start of the season. Manning took over MK Dons and took the side to the play-offs. This season he lost both of those players, was sacked by Christmas and MK Dons finished 21st getting relegated. 

Swansea - Parachute payments stop and lots of wage-heavy (educated guess) outgoings. Lots of frees and loans, which I guess contributed to the "mutual consent" of Steve Cooper's end. Paid for Downes, Obafemi and Piroe. Finished 15th - which on paper doesn't look great as a position but lost a few players in the summer, including another top scorer in Ayew, and to add context (the Puel 8th on 46 points always bothered me) they had 61 points, which was 24 points off relegation. 

22-23 - Sold Downes to WHU for big profit and Obafemi in January, neither replaced with a fee (Joe Allen on a free and no new striker). Signed 2 x CB (Darling, Wood) and a few other youngsters who haven’t played a game yet and a few loans. Lost Obafemi in January (I know he's not Messi but wasn't replaced and played a lot). Finished 10th - 3 points off playoffs, 22 off relegation. An awful run post January and an unbeaten run to finish. The bad run is concerning but during that they lost to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5rd, 7th and 8th out of the 7 defeats in 9. 

Now looking at losing Manning (Champ TOTY), Latibeaudiere (supposedly rated, ex-City "Hi Jason") on frees and Joel Piroe (2 x top scorer) is in the last year of his deal with a number of rumoured suitors.

I'm not shouting his name from the rooftops, and I'm not crazy about any metrics SR will use to profile him. I'm the idealistic / unrealistic, throw the book at Potter type.

But I think, pulling back the curtain on the league finishes, he's done well under the respective circumstances. I'd far prefer him than a high profile ex-pro based off their playing career like Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Vieira etc. If we can't get the "reach for the stars" option I think he's not miles off next best. There seems to be some sort of background in stabilising then improving a team, that given our current off-field shitshow seems well suited. He has Champ experience as a coach, playing experience in the PL and plays a style of football that I personally would like to see and think (transfer dependent) could suit us. Outside of top-flight experience, I think he ticks a lot of boxes and if the speculation about having a big say in signings is true, seems to be able to spot a player (SR would love the profits) and would assumably have greater resources to do so. I am aware of the Nathan Jones water into wine likeness but A) he doesn't have a Stoke-esque failure on his CV at a larger club, B) I think we have to moderate expectations - this is probably the pool we're now swimming in and the time to go big was instead of NJ. C) For me, seeing an identity on the pitch that doesn't involve searching for the ball in the floodlights buys you some slack and D) he doesn't SEEM to be that type of deflective, immune to criticism narcissist that would alienate a fanbase after a couple of press conferences.

Great post. This place could use a few more like you posting again. 

Just watched his 28 minute breakdown of their win against Cardiff as well, comes across as a good bloke with a clear idea and identity. Wouldn't be surprised if talks with him go well based on what he's looking to implement, and the hope that his style is more suited to a team who have a better squad than he has had prior.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

I was thinking,  why are they letting Rambo run wild again with his recent track record, then it occurred to me, can he actually be reigned in? Who is there to pull rank? I assume Dragan could withdraw his bankrolling, but what else can be done?

Ps, I really don’t understand how the ownership model works, who owns what, how many companies there are in the chain. Pps Please don’t feel it’s necessary to explain 

Like with many board set ups I assume it’s majority rule, so a numerical union of Kraft and Solak could have him escorted from the premises. Similarly a lot of big business seems to work like a poker game, money inevitably wins out. 

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

The Athletic just now reporting it's happening.

It looks like we are moving quickly to secure him as Leicester have identified him as their first choice IF they are relegated (presumably they have another candidate in mind if they somehow stay up). For once, our certainty (knowing we are relegated) gives us the advantage to get him secured.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, littledavewatson said:

Very interesting, helps me feel a bit more positive. A bit of Pochettino feel in terms of successful management despite player sales. 

Worth also saying that Koeman had bad runs with us but was a success overall

• Like 1

If it is it is. Allow him to bring his team in and he’s got all pre season to get them upto his style and level of playing.

maybe give him a chance before moaning he isn’t good enough? He might just surprise you. 

• Like 8

I don't get the negativity. We have just been relegated in pathetic fashion. We aren't going to have a huge pool of managers, and I expect the top managers in the league aren't going to be interested. They've acted quickly with someone who appears to have a good football philosophy and knows the league. A manager, that is successful we can build around as well. The club needs a gutting and rebuild from top to bottom on and off the pitch, what we have been doing hasn't been working so they are taking a new approach. 

Personally I will back him and see what the summer brings and see how well he does when we actually play some games. I'm looking forward to a better brand of football that might actually result in us winning some games! 

And if that fails, then we are right to complain. I get there is little trust in the owners, but they have also had to gut the entire club as we have been on a slow decline for years! I saw since we finished 7th under Puel we have something like a 25% win rate.... Might even be slightly less now! 

Something new and different needs to happen if we stand any chance of rebuilding and having a successful club! For me the owners will be judged on where we go from here and how we do next season. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

If it is it is. Allow him to bring his team in and he’s got all pre season to get them upto his style and level of playing.

maybe give him a chance before moaning he isn’t good enough? He might just surprise you. 

Martin out! 

• Haha 2

At least it looks like it's done early. Not my top choice, but like with Jones I'll now support him until he gives me a reason not to. Wasn't my last choice either, would've preferred Martin to the Lampard, Rooney, Gerrard, Vieira's who are living off their playing careers.

Swansea have a few gems we could realistically poach too. Piroe, Manning and Darling, while Grimes would be alright too given the expected midfielder exodus this summer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Look out for any new fans/posters telling us how amazing Martin is, and plays on the 'front foot' etc

I'm assuming Lord D is currently checking to see if any work colleagues are related to Russell Martin before deciding whether to support him or not... ;)

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, trousers said:

I'm assuming Lord D is currently checking to see if any work colleagues are related to Russell Martin before deciding whether to support him or not... ;)

you jest, but it’s amazing who you rub shoulders with on the night shift at kfc. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, trousers said:

Or he’ll tell you it’s a shite appointment then when you say anything negative respond with “pathetic support” 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

Yep but you don’t just copy and paste his results at Swansea to us if we get him as manager. You hope that he brings the good stuff and in a different environment he has the solutions to smooth out the bad stuff right? That’s the whole point of appointing a manager. We want you to bring certain qualities and hopefully it improves what we have here already. That’s the risk with any manager.

Fundamentally our players haven’t been good enough this season and we’ll need squad building whoever is manager so that the player quality is improved. Any manager is at the hands of the quality of his squad and it’s something that all 3 managers we’ve had this season can point to as an excuse. However having a manager who has clearly shown he can improve something we’re really not good at right now, seems like a positive. Hopefully he can help us and we can help him by giving him a good squad.

There's a danger of being blinded by the possession and goals scored stats. Sure, his teams score goals, but I repeat that possession and goals scored are irrelevant if a team concedes as many as it scores.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that Swansea concede lots of goals because of their players. If it is the case, we haven't got better here. 

We'll have to agree to differ on this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrunkenSaint said:

if true at least its not a last minute thing like always, also he can take a look at some players before the season ends, i really hope Selles isnt involved in the coaching, let him bring his own team in.

He said today he only wants to stay as manager. 

Good luck to Martin, he’s got a big job on, let’s hope he’s more of an Adkins than Jones. 

Just now, manji said:

I think it’s bollocks just agents talk. Why would we announce it before Selles contact ends ?

If we did get Martin now Selles could sue Saints for constructive dismissal 😂

And sue the club for a couple of weeks wages?

Just now, manji said:

I think it’s bollocks just agents talk. Why would we announce it before Selles contact ends ?

It's clearly not agent talk, more or less a done deal by what I can tell. Should get it on the OS next week I imagine.

Not really sure what to make of it, have a nagging feeling we'll be talking about a next new manager in December and by this time next year we'll be Watford mk2.

8 minutes ago, manji said:

You honestly think that then?