Russell Martin

LegalEagle

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I think RM would be a good appointment, Also he could bring Grimes and Piroe with him too.

I’d take Ryan Manning too. 15 goal contributions last season as a LB/LWB! Out of contract in the summer which is great as well. 

• Like 2

Just now, ecurnew02 said:

I’d take Ryan Manning too. 15 goal contributions last season as a LB/LWB! Out of contract in the summer which is great as well. 

Bargain, Imagine we'd go for him anyway if he's out of contract. Good value, As I imagine Perraud is off.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

Martin now come into 7/4 from 5/2. Does someone know something?

No, it’s a sensitive market, any sort of bet can change the odds dramatically. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Does that mean we need a front footed and aggressive manager? :D 

In all seriousness the way Brighton play wouldn't work with us because of JWP in the two, he's too one paced and not dynamic enough to create those quick transitions. Lavia can certainly do it, but we'd need someone else in the mould of a MacAlistar or a Cacedio to partner Lavia if we wanted to try it. 

The other benifit going for Brighton is that they have options to feed to, either Mitoma on one side or Marsh on the other side - and then Gross picking up those little pockets of space in front of the midfield. If we had another partner for Lavia then JWP could do that Gross role I'm sure.

I can imagine our CB's could play that way, and ditto Lavia, but it stops there - we don't have anything else which is why we go backwards all the time. That needs to change in the summer if we are to adopt a new style.

Spot on - this is the absolute nub of it. Even with Romeu - who was definitely adding protection and broke up play before it got to the edge of our 18 yard box or out wide, which we have badly lacked since his departutre - with JWP in the middle we didn't /don't have pace to break through the lines. Hence the endless recycling of possession which does nothing for us. This has to be an area where we look to invest and improve, particularly if (as has been mooted) we go down the heavy possession-based football route.

2 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I think RM would be a good appointment, Also he could bring Grimes and Piroe with him too.

No idea who this guy is genuinely, but I'm out of touch with football, but having checked ... a 37% win rate and 36% win rate for MK Dons and Swansea respectively? Christ. 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Russell Martin seems a steady, sensible approach for a team that was progressive in the top half of the Championship 

But… for me with the potential project, money, stature… Id expect more

Stature? There's a shit load of clubs in the Championship and below with similar size stadiums and more trophies than us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfc4prem said:

Stature? There's a shit load of clubs in the Championship and below with similar size stadiums and more trophies than us.

We've got more money than them.

Sheffield Wednesday are a big club, Derby and Blackburn won the league, Sunderland have a huge stadium etc etc etc but so what, we will have more resources and prestige than them next season.

But we need to get back up before the parachute money goes because that will soon wear off.

• Like 2

The Managerial Appointment Cycle

48 hours ago: Russel Martin - no thanks, who the hell is that? Another manager with no experience!

24 hours ago: Most passes in the league? Lots of possession? Must have something about him!

10 hours ago: He’s odds on favourite, what an appointment this could be!

Two weeks time: We got him! What an appointment for us, time for us to walk this league.

Eight months time: Bloody 14th in the league, got to sack him. Never wanted him. Was always going to be a shit appointment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

trophies isn’t really an indicator of stature. would you say pompey have a bigger stature than us? it’s whoever has the most money and has been in the prem most recent. blame modern football. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

trophies isn’t really an indicator of stature. would you say pompey have a bigger stature than us? it’s whoever has the most money and has been in the prem most recent. blame modern football. 

100%

20 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

My fear with Martin is his lack of experience, I don't doubt that he may well become a good manager but I think the timing is a bit off for us to be considering him. As mentioned in other threads we need someone proven and with suitable gravitas to handle the big changes in personal and structure that are going to happen, this will be a chaotic summer - and throwing an inexperienced manager into that will only end one way imo.

He is experienced in the Championship though. From what I’ve seen/read on here I’m warming to him…

Edited by SW11_Saint

9 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

But not more means or better players.  And that needs to count for attracting a manager in the Championship to give us the best chance of getting out and getting the players onboard.

1 hour ago, SW11_Saint said:

He is experienced in the Championship though. From what I’ve seen/read on here I’m warming to him…

Do we really want just experienced in the championship though? Plenty of managers are but they’re shit in the premier league, we should be aiming to go straight back up and need a manager that can handle it.

not saying I know who that is or if they do exist would even come to us mind.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brissysaint said:

Do we really want just experienced in the championship though? Plenty of managers are but they’re shit in the premier league, we should be aiming to go straight back up and need a manager that can handle it.

not saying I know who that is or if they do exist would even come to us mind.

I think finding someone who has managed in the PL is going to be extremely hard and will discount many possible candidates. For me, it is essential to focus on the qualities of the manager/coach beyond the technical capabilities they have - after all they will have the UEFA pro licence. 

It’s the suitability elements like temperament, leadership, aptitude, versatility, etc which are the important differential elements to judge those for the role, rather than eligibility aspects which only look good on paper. 

49 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Not for me, this. We’re going to have a lot of money and need to come straight back up. It’s not really the time for more experiments with lower league managers. 

Agreed. Stick my kneck on the line, if we appoint him, it’ll end up a disaster. 

• Like 1

A lot going for Martin. Ability to coach a clear style of play. Current experience of the league and all the teams and players we will be competing with. Solid and recent playing experience but also young enough to relate to todays pros.

Can see why he would be of interest. Not overly fussed of league finishes because its so dependent on the quality of player you have, ability to recruit etc. He would have better at his disposal with us.

7 hours ago, Dusic said:

A lot going for Martin. Ability to coach a clear style of play. Current experience of the league and all the teams and players we will be competing with. Solid and recent playing experience but also young enough to relate to todays pros.

Can see why he would be of interest. Not overly fussed of league finishes because its so dependent on the quality of player you have, ability to recruit etc. He would have better at his disposal with us.

Absolutely zero guarantee of this!

Currently the bookies favourite apparently.

On 16/05/2023 at 22:19, Saint Garrett said:

Maybe get Flynn Downes from West Ham too…!

I've been wondering about the possibility of signing Downes for some time. I thought he was a terrific signing by West Ham. He looked great for Swansea. Struggled to get game time, but just started to see the field more recently and played quite well by all accounts, so not sure that will happen.

Article in Times on Martin being high on the list, including this little Rasmusism....

"In 2020-21, Martin’s final season in charge, MK Dons were behind only Manchester City and Barcelona in the list of teams in Europe’s top five leagues with the highest average percentage possession. They recorded a British record in March of that season by scoring after 56 consecutive passes against Gillingham."

Full article by Tom Toddy below for info.

Southampton manager: Russell Martin favourite to replace Rubén Sellés

Club believe Swansea City boss is right man to take them straight back to Premier League
Russell Martin is in the frame to become Southampton’s new manager as the south-coast club look to follow Burnley’s template in making an immediate return to the Premier League.

The 37-year-old Swansea City head coach is among the candidates Southampton identified to lead them in the second tier next season, after their 11-year stay in the top flight ended when their relegation was confirmed at the weekend.

Rubén Sellés has been in charge as interim manager since February. The 39-year-old Spaniard succeeded Nathan Jones, who was sacked only 95 days after replacing Ralph Hasenhüttl in a chaotic campaign at the club.

Southampton have been interviewing other candidates for the role but admire Martin’s work at Swansea, where he has deployed an attractive possession-based style and is about to enter the final 12 months of his contract. Swansea finished tenth in the Sky Bet Championship, three points off the play-off positions, despite having failed to make any signings during the January transfer window.

Southampton have looked at Burnley’s approach to bouncing back to the Premier League at the first opportunity by transforming their style of play to a possession-heavy, attacking approach under Vincent Kompany. They have already appointed Jason Wilcox, the former Manchester City academy director, as their new director of football and had hired his former City colleague Joe Shields, who was poached by Chelsea in October instead.

Many of the club’s signings during the past two transfer windows have been young players developed at clubs who place a heavy emphasis on possession. The highly rated midfielder Roméo Lavia, 19, goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu, 21, and winger Samuel Edozie, 20, were all bought from City.

Martin retired as a player in 2019 after 15 years as a defender, most of which were spent at Norwich City, and ended his playing career at MK Dons, before taking his first managerial job there in 2019. In 2020-21, Martin’s final season in charge, MK Dons were behind only Manchester City and Barcelona in the list of teams in Europe’s top five leagues with the highest average percentage possession. They recorded a British record in March of that season by scoring after 56 consecutive passes against Gillingham. That approach has continued at Swansea and was illustrated in last month’s 3-0 win against Norwich City when Martin’s side completed 888 passes, the second-highest in a fixture in Europe’s top leagues since the start of the 2021-22 season.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, benali-shorts said:

Article in Times on Martin being high on the list, including this little Rasmusism....

"In 2020-21, Martin’s final season in charge, MK Dons were behind only Manchester City and Barcelona in the list of teams in Europe’s top five leagues with the highest average percentage possession. They recorded a British record in March of that season by scoring after 56 consecutive passes against Gillingham."

Sounds like music to Ramsus' ears

10 hours ago, Mixedkebab said:

He’s also a vegan member of the Green Party and a Buddhist apparently, not sure our lazy twat players need to meditate much more than they do already.

Don’t like the sound of this, given the malaise at SFC we need paleo diet, Referendum party, diabolist and personality disorder on the CV as a starting point. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Saint86 said:

The only serious senior staff member in place is Wilcox? Barring a club and department wide recruitment miracle, we are absolutely fooked. People realise that right?

The only serious senior staff member we've been told about is Wilcox. Than doesn't mean other staff members haven't been sorted. You realise that right?

• Like 1

The best thing to come out of that article is confirmation of the fact that we are interviewing a few candidates, and seemingly trying to get things sorted asap.

I know that you might expect this as a minimum, but after the year of strange decisions made by our club, I am grateful for the confirmation...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Sounds like music to Ramsus' ears

This will be a Wilcox lead candidate I’m sure. Possession heavy and similar principles to everything we know about Wilcox. Suspect we’ll get our answer to who is leading this appointment based on Carrick v Martin if Pilchards is correct that Carrick is Rasmus’s number 1 choice.

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

This will be a Wilcox lead candidate I’m sure. Possession heavy and similar principles to everything we know about Wilcox. Suspect we’ll get our answer to who is leading this appointment based on Carrick v Martin if Pilchards is correct that Carrick is Rasmus’s number 1 choice.

genuine question... what do we know about Wilcox as far as his principles of play are?  Is he indoctrinated to the City way or does he see it differently?

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

This will be a Wilcox lead candidate I’m sure. Possession heavy and similar principles to everything we know about Wilcox.

Out of interest, what in particular do we know about Wilcox in this regard?

It'd be a very Sainstsy thing to do to sign 4 wingers in the last year (Edozie, Sulemana, Orsic, Amo-Ameyaw) - perhaps 5, as Aribo seems to think RW is his best position - and give new contracts to wingers Djenepo and Diamond Edwards, and then go and hire a manager who doesn't like playing with wingers.

Although it does seem like Martin isn't totally wedded to his back three - Swansea finished the season with a back four for the last 10 games. 

Not claiming to be ITK but I have been told by someone who has a connection with the club that we are *not* looking at Carrick. Seen as though it would be difficult to tempt him to move down from where he's from, he's bedded in and would be seen as a sideways step. They don't want to waste time on a protracted job offer situation - which for once sounds like they're making the right call. We need to get going asap, give the new manager as much time as possible to sort through the mess. 

• Like 2

On 16/05/2023 at 17:23, Patrick Bateman said:

No idea who this guy is genuinely, but I'm out of touch with football, but having checked ... a 37% win rate and 36% win rate for MK Dons and Swansea respectively? Christ. 

I'm with you on this. Surely those idiots upstairs who got us into this mess in the first place still don't think they have such magical insight as to pluck unknown people out of obscurity and turn them into world beaters. They made that mistake with Jones and then compounded it with Selles; to allow them to do it again is beyond a dereliction of duty by the owners, Ankerson & Semmens shouldn't be anywhere near the selection process. 

Should they appoint this bloke then that's me defo counted out as a potential ST buyer for next season and likely not the only one. I am sick of low rent, low expectations.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, santolijador said:

The best thing to come out of that article is confirmation of the fact that we are interviewing a few candidates, and seemingly trying to get things sorted asap.

I know that you might expect this as a minimum, but after the year of strange decisions made by our club, I am grateful for the confirmation...

I'm just hoping that we are looking at all options and not just going for a lower level manager at the first attempt. Surely has to be someone who is a big name who can instantly command the respect of the squad and us the fans. Gerrard, Vieira etc. 

12 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Not claiming to be ITK but I have been told by someone who has a connection with the club that we are *not* looking at Carrick. Seen as though it would be difficult to tempt him to move down from where he's from, he's bedded in and would be seen as a sideways step. They don't want to waste time on a protracted job offer situation - which for once sounds like they're making the right call. We need to get going asap, give the new manager as much time as possible to sort through the mess. 

Probably had Semmens in the interview room telling him we’re lucky just to be in the championship. What a bunch of cowards we have in senior roles at this club. 

If we genuinely don’t believe we can offer a project more appealing than Boro, then fuck me, what’s the point. 

No disrespect to Boro who are a similar sized club to us really, but given we were an established PL club with what should be a huge budget for the championship, we should have other championship managers licking their lips to come here and rebuild for a promotion push ffs. 

• Like 1

If we appoint Martin it’ll be a lot of sidewards passes, loads of possession, look tidy but little to no end product, we’ll get hit on the counter and draw / lose as many as we win. It’ll be a disaster. 

You can only play like City, Barca etc if you have the players and creativity to do so. You don’t get those players in the championship. 

It does make me a little sad we’re moving towards this possession based approach this season rather than last, because Lavia would have been fucking phenomenal (even better) at it. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 2

To get into the automatic promotion spots this season you'd have needed 2 points per game, 2 wins out of 3 over 46 games is a huge challenge.

A passive manager is not going to cut it IMO. We need to be positive and aggressive and play on the front foot from the start. Not sure this guy fits the bill.

Selles certainly doesn't, no offence but he's not going to get us out of this league. He needs to go.

• Like 3