11 seasons in the Premier League - Best Moments

melmacian_saint

Now we are all paying our respects to this era that in spite of its awful end was undoubtedly a high period of the club's history, I invite us to share our 3 top SFC moments/games/events (plus 2 honourable mentions) since 2012.

Here are mine: 

1. Saints 3-2 Liverpool, 2016 - I genuinely still love this match, what a comeback with 3 great team goals (we scored a few that season), Mane/Pelle combo destroying the early days of Kloppism, when Liverpool were starting to become fashionable again. Electric SMS at the end.

2. Saints 4-0 Newcastle, 2014 - our blossoming as PL sensations under Pochettino, we played some great football that season. I particularly remember us being very dominant at home during that time - I think we beat them 4-0 again a few months later (in the new season)!. 

3. Saints 2-1 Inter, Europa League 2016 - It was a brilliant night under the lights, not the Inter of today but also not the Saints of today, a glamour tie that we took with a dominant performance, packed St Mary's watching its first big Saints win in Europe. Our European run should've carried on, what happened to being back soon?! 

Honourable mentions: 

4. Liverpool 0-1 Saints, League Cup semi-final 2017 - Shane Long limbs

5.  Saints 8-0 Sunderland, 2014 - The goals weren't all pretty, but a remarkable game! 

Loads more which I'm sure you'll write about! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, melmacian_saint said:

Now we are all paying our respects to this era that in spite of its awful end was undoubtedly a high period of the club's history, I invite us to share our 3 top SFC moments/games/events (plus 2 honourable mentions) since 2012.

Here are mine: 

1. Saints 3-2 Liverpool, 2016 - I genuinely still love this match, what a comeback with 3 great team goals (we scored a few that season), Mane/Pelle combo destroying the early days of Kloppism, when Liverpool were starting to become fashionable again. Electric SMS at the end.

2. Saints 4-0 Newcastle, 2014 - our blossoming as PL sensations under Pochettino, we played some great football that season. I particularly remember us being very dominant at home during that time - I think we beat them 4-0 again a few months later (in the new season)!. 

3. Saints 2-1 Inter, Europa League 2016 - It was a brilliant night under the lights, not the Inter of today but also not the Saints of today, a glamour tie that we took with a dominant performance, packed St Mary's watching its first big Saints win in Europe. Our European run should've carried on, what happened to being back soon?! 

Honourable mentions: 

4. Liverpool 0-1 Saints, League Cup semi-final 2017 - Shane Long limbs

5.  Saints 8-0 Sunderland, 2014 - The goals weren't all pretty, but a remarkable game! 

Loads more which I'm sure you'll write about! 

Mane's 2m 56s hat trick against Villa.

• Like 8

for different reasons, a nod to when we lost 2-1 at Liverpool for Koemans first game.  You just knew it was all going to be alright. 
What helped, Ronald has the gravitas and arrogance to pull it off

Look at the shower of shit in in the squad and running the club, hard to fathom from here that a legend like Koeman was our manager, and brilliant in doing it

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

All of the above with an honourable mention to watching Charlie Austin score a pretty good goal against us for QPR, only to have it blown out of the water two minutes later by a piece of obscene filth from Pellè. That was THE moment I knew we weren’t going to miss Lambert.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

All of the above with an honourable mention to watching Charlie Austin score a pretty good goal against us for QPR, only to have it blown out of the water two minutes later by a piece of obscene filth from Pellè. That was THE moment I knew we weren’t going to miss Lambert.

outrageous goal, that.

2 wins at Old Trafford were pretty good moments. 

Chelsea away under Koeman, 3-1. 

Some of the football under Poch was a joy to watch. That interchangeable front 3 of Lambert, JRod and Lallana were phenomenal at times. 

• Like 1

1. Lambert equaliser at City in 2012...great moment.

2. Win at Chelsea under Koeman when Davis, Mane and Pelle scored. That day our front three (Tadic, Mane and Pelle) absolutely killed Chelsea.

3. 3-2 win versus Spurs last season. Hasenhuttl performance at its best, first half we were unplayable (aside from the final action, as usual). Even in the last few years we did have occasional moments where we looked a proper team.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dusic said:

1. Lambert equaliser at City in 2012...great moment.

2. Win at Chelsea under Koeman when Davis, Mane and Pelle scored. That day our front three (Tadic, Mane and Pelle) absolutely killed Chelsea.

3. 3-2 win versus Spurs last season. Hasenhuttl performance at its best, first half we were unplayable (aside from the final action, as usual). Even in the last few years we did have occasional moments where we looked a proper team.

Was going to post that one.

The Liverpool comeback was fantastic. I remember we ripped Hull to pieces, think it was the Lallana slalom goal game. Not overly remarkable but I look back at that time and just used to think we could/would win most games. Especially at St Marys.

The last 11 years have been fun haven't they?

At least we can look back on a good chunk of it with good memories, not like Palace for example who have just lumbered around the bottom half for almost a decade. 

European run, twice, Inter at home, seeing some great players and great managers. It's all gone sour in the last 5 years, but if you told me back in 2008 that we'd be beating Inter Milan at home in Europe by 2016 I'd have called for a shrink. 

Shows how quickly football can change and why good times are never too far away, no matter how bleak it looks today.

• Like 1

Best team from the last stint in the league..

Forster, Clyne, Fonte, VvD, Shaw, Morgan, JwP, Lallana, Tadic, Lambert, Mane

Subs: Boruc, Bertrand, Toby, Vic, Davis, Pelle, Jrod

Manager, Koeman.

That is leaving out, Poch, Ralph, Lovren, KwP, Romeu, Lavia, Ings......

S-Clarke says, was one hell of a ride...we did it all right, then everything wrong, beat Inter, few wembley trips, nearly won the League cup......

Edited by AlexLaw76

Puncheon leaving the pitch to go for a sh1t has to be up there.

On another note, amazing to think there's a whole generation of Saints fans that have no memory of Saints being anything other than a PL club. Much like how it was for my generation (and probably the one before) when we last went down!

13 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

I remember we ripped Hull to pieces, think it was the Lallana slalom goal game. Not overly remarkable but I look back at that time and just used to think we could/would win most games. Especially at St Marys.

Yup, that game really was very special.

We absolutely dominated them that day and Lallana's goal was absolutely outrageous.

Our first win back in the league against Villa was special, we'd had moments before that but for me that game showed me that the players we had could do some real damage that season, especially Lambert and Lallana

3:0 against Vitesse at home was another, a brilliant victory and we made it look easy. Was before the start of the season and it genuinely looked like a pre-season friendly but in reality it was actual proper European football at St Marys for the first time in years.

In terms of players, we've seen some absolutely brilliant performances. Tadic absolutely pulling Sunderland apart in the 8:0, Mane dominating Klopp's liverpool at home, and JayRod's purple patch before his injury all stay with me.

The 6-1 against Villa. Not just Mane's hatrick, not just Long's outrageous chip but the fact that we could beat a midtable team like Villa by 5 goals and be disappointed with it. I remember coming away from that game feeling genuinely annoyed that we'd allowed them to score a goal!

• Like 2

Just now, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Our first win back in the league against Villa was special, we'd had moments before that but for me that game showed me that the players we had could do some real damage that season, especially Lambert and Lallana

Or fondly remembered as ''The Gaston Ramirez game''. But we never saw him again.

• Haha 1

Perhaps not an obvious one, but when we beat Fulham away in the 2013/14 season with Lallana, Lambert and Rodriguez all on the score sheet. Fantastic performance but also an incredible feeling of optimism around the place with it looking like us having 4 players on the plane to Brazil.

Honourable mention for the away win at Anfield in the same season. Remember driving to the game and listening to Micky Quinn completely write us off before hand  on Talksport only for us to turn them over via Lovren.

It’s been a great ride but can’t help feel a little thankful that it’s over. Anothe year of watching these lot amble aimlessly around the pitch would send me over the edge. Hopefully it’s time for a major reset.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RedArmy said:

2 wins at Old Trafford were pretty good moments. 

Chelsea away under Koeman, 3-1. 

Some of the football under Poch was a joy to watch. That interchangeable front 3 of Lambert, JRod and Lallana were phenomenal at times. 

The 3-0 at Fulham when they got one each was a little bit of magic.

( Edit..I see Mikey88 above got there first….)

Edited by teamsaint

Probably won’t make a lot of peoples top memories but this was a great performance IMO. 3 great goals especially the third, we played some great stuff that day, excellent support in the away end and was probably the moment I thought we were going places in the premier league. We had arrived as a force. 

Edited by Turkish
Ha ha see the people directly above me have also said it 🤣
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Maybe not the greatest opposition (they went down) but the 3-0 against Fulham when all 3 scored excellent goals (esp JRod) was a good one. We were superb.

Also loved the 3-1 at home to Liverpool first season back up. Another excellent team performance, and knew we’d be alright after that.

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Probably won’t make a lot of peoples top memories but this was a great performance IMO. 3 great goals especially the third, we played some great stuff that day, excellent support in the away end and was probably the moment I thought we were going places in the premier league. We had arrived as a force. 

Snap. Hadn’t seen that before posting the above.

4 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Manager, Koeman.

S-Clarke says, was one hell of a ride...we did it all right, then everything wrong, beat Inter, few wembley trips, nearly won the League cup......

I’d have Wanyama instead of JWP, and I think Pelle edged it over SRL. Tadic Lallana Mane in support of the beautiful Italian, so inferior to the utter shite we have now who unsurprisingly can’t score goals.

A personal pride moment was when I was in Barcelona June 2015 doing a tour of the Nou Camp, in my Saints shirt, seeing a huge photo of Koeman on the wall and getting my photo taken next to it. We'd just finished 7th and I thought things would never be that good.

Then the next season we finished 6th!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Manager, Koeman.

For me:

Boruc

KWP - VvD - Toby - Bertrand

Lavia - Morgan

Mané - Davis - Tadic 

Pellè

Subs: Forster, Fonte, Clyne, Wanyama, JWP, Lallana, J Rod, Gabbiadini, Lambert

Davis made the team tick, he moved the ball up the pitch in a way we’ve been badly lacking since Stu caught covid. Plenty of great candidates 

• Like 1

A couple of Tadic’s performances stood out for me, City & Bournemouth. On those 2 days he was up there with Bally as the best first touch & weight of pass ive seen from anyone in a saints shirt. 

Staying up at Swansea. 

Watching Saints in the San Siro with my lad and my mates. 

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

A couple of Tadic’s performances stood out for me, City & Bournemouth. On those 2 days he was up there with Bally as the best first touch & weight of pass ive seen from anyone in a saints shirt. 

Staying up at Swansea. 

Watching Saints in the San Siro with my lad and my mates. 

Loved everything Tadic did, so much that I even named my dog after him lol

Ah great thread, lots of great memories.

Not many left that haven’t been said, but the 2-0 home win v Fulham was a joy to watch under Poch, pressing and pure dominance.

Poch’s first win v Man City 3-1 (Barry with a stonking OG). Remember watching and thinking how comfortably we saw the game out. 

Back to back 4-0 wins v the barcodes with some quality goals. 

4-2 v City, Mane Hat trick. Man we were so good at the back end of that season. Little did we know that was as good as it would get. 

Edited by ErwinK1961
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

For me:

Boruc

Lavia - Morgan

Mané - Davis - Tadic 

Pellè

Davis made the team tick, he moved the ball up the pitch in a way we’ve been badly lacking since Stu caught covid. Plenty of great candidates 

Great 1st team squad - champions league level at least. Big players, big leaders

A number of these have been mentioned before.  For me, in no particular order

- Winning 1-0 at Old Trafford in 2015

- The 8-0 against Sunderland

- Watching Saints in the San Siro (even though we lost)

- Mane's hattrick against Villa.  That tactical genius Tim Sherwood played a high defensive line and we ripped them apart.

- Beating Man City 3-1 in 2013.  They were league champions and it was MPs first win.  Played really well that day

Another one for me even though we lost, I think it was in the 3-2 defeat against United in our first season back.

Lambert scored a header and Tylers commentary was amazing. Calling Rickie a goal scorer at every level or something similar.

To see Rickie getting goals in the PL after he was so instrumental in our rise through the leagues was amazing. 

It got me thinking that we've, until recently, had some really good CF in the PL during this spell.

After the manager appointment, a goal scorer is our top priority for me.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

For me:

Boruc

Lavia - Morgan

Mané - Davis - Tadic 

Pellè

What a team that is. I'd have Davis next to Morgan so I could get Lallana in but theres not much in it.

Davis was such a good player.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SNSUN said:

A personal pride moment was when I was in Barcelona June 2015 doing a tour of the Nou Camp, in my Saints shirt, seeing a huge photo of Koeman on the wall and getting my photo taken next to it. We'd just finished 7th and I thought things would never be that good.

Then the next season we finished 6th!

Why were you wearing a saints shirt to do a tour of the Nou Camp?

13 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

4-2 v City, Mane Hat trick. Man we were so good at the back end of that season. Little did we know that was as good as it would get. 

Spurs away was another solid come back performance the week after. 
We really were a very good side to end that season and then we let Koeman go to Everton. 
Didn’t we only finish 3 points behind 4th? 

20 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

The 6-1 against Villa. Not just Mane's hatrick, not just Long's outrageous chip but the fact that we could beat a midtable team like Villa by 5 goals and be disappointed with it. I remember coming away from that game feeling genuinely annoyed that we'd allowed them to score a goal!

that was 8 years ago today. 

• Sad 1

The Shane Long league cup semi at Anfield stand out for me. One of the greatest thrills of my Saints supporting life was seeing us grab the winner up there to get to the final. I think I have only see `joyous' celebration like that when we equalised against Derby in the play off semi final. I must have watched that goal on social media about a hundred times and it still makes me smile from ear to ear. 

Also absolutely loved seeing us play at the San Siro. Like a dream come true.

• Like 3

I've not read every post on this thread, but a mention for the period at the end of the season under Koeman. Being on that terrible run and somehow beating Arsenal 4-0. 

Ending that season with:

P18 W12 D3 L3 - back end of that season, with Liverpool, Newcastle, and then scoring 14 goals in last 4 games, including wins at Villa and Spurs, and that superb game against City where we just steamrollered them. Looking back, it was such a shame we had that bad period in the run up to Christmas, as we'd have been in the champions league with another 4 points.

image.png.321a439231d5670009697fc4477cc301.png

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I've not read every post on this thread, but a mention for the period at the end of the season under Koeman. Being on that terrible run and somehow beating Arsenal 4-0. 

Ending that season with:

P18 W12 D3 L3 - back end of that season, with Liverpool, Newcastle, and then scoring 14 goals in last 4 games, including wins at Villa and Spurs, and that superb game against City where we just steamrollered them. Looking back, it was such a shame we had that bad period in the run up to Christmas, as we'd have been in the champions league with another 4 points.

image.png.321a439231d5670009697fc4477cc301.png

What a time that was , Spurs away at the old proper ground was a great win, beating Palace 4-1 to cement 6th place and Europa league group stage followed by going to the pub and seeing the skates lose in the last min at Plymouth in the league TWO play offs. 

Personal top moment for me was going to Hapoel Beersheeva away via Jerusalem travelling across the desert to an away match , what a time to be a Saints fan 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kwsaint said:

- The 8-0 against Sunderland

- Watching Saints in the San Siro (even though we lost)

- Mane's hattrick against Villa.  That tactical genius Tim Sherwood played a high defensive line and we ripped them apart.

- Beating Man City 3-1 in 2013.  They were league champions and it was MPs first win.  Played really well that day

8-0 was surreal
The whole San Siro trip was magical 

Mane’s Hattrick was - what just happen!

4-0 Arsenal Boxing Day - Crap kick off time, then Martina lit up Christmas!

That City game, our little group met up on the Chapel concourse - Bob pipes up “coming down in the car John and I have been talking and we reckon we are getting something tonight” the rest looked at us like we had just escaped the nut house. One of the best moments was Harrison Reed coming on and being all over Aguero like a very nasty rash and Aguero turning to the touch line arms out palms up face just saying “Who is he - and I don’t know what to do about him”

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Why were you wearing a saints shirt to do a tour of the Nou Camp?

I’m English. Football shirt, shorts and cheap trainers are the attire of the working class tourist. 😁 Actually there was a large percentage of people wearing their own club’s colours.

1 hour ago, charliemiller said:

Best memory was the two days in Milan on the lash eating pizza by the canal with all the fans and the sight of our support in the San siro 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

that was 8 years ago today. 

Yes I saw that. That season must have finished very late because wasn't it about 5 games from the end? I know this season's finishing late but there's an actual reason for that.