Other Games 23/24

skintsaint

43 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Absolutely can't stand Newcastle. Would be nothing without that Saudi money. 

Get used to it, now one of the riches clubs in the world, they will soon be winning domestic cups,  premierships and champions league titles on the back of that money.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Yozzman said:

The Sky pundits ridiculously thought it wasn't a red card. Didn't realise you could forearm someone in the head!

Yeah madness. I thought as soon as you raised your hands you were off - or have they changed that rule? 

41 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I watched the copa libertadores. A fun 120mins of different styles, with enough brutality, by our current standards, to have had plenty of red cards.

One manager was described as the Anti-Pep.

I watched a few Copa Libertadores games when I was in South America and saw both Boca and Fluminense play, at La Bombonera and Maracana. The atmosphere there ia a lot more passionate than in Europe. Although I like both teams, I was happy to see Fluminense win as they'd never won it before, whereas Boca have won it 6 times already. The teams tend to be made up of youngsters and oldies, like Marcelo and Cavani in this game, as the best players usually spend their peak years in Europe. That winning goal was a bit special though, wasn't it?

Edited by Nordic Saint

3 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

I watched a few Copa Libertadores games when I was in South America and saw both Boca and Fluminense play, at La Bombonera and Maracana. The atmosphere there ia a lot more passionate than in Europe. Although I like both teams, I was happy to see Fluminense win as they'd never won it before, whereas Boca have won it 6 times already. The teams tend to be made up of youngsters and oldies like Marcelo and Cavani in this games, as the best players usually spend their peak years in Europe. That winning goal was a bit special though, wasn't it?

All the goals were pretty good, with a lot of space to exploit. Loads of energy, and good to see some veteran names and put faces to names heard on world football shows. Poor Kennedy looked stunned at getting a second yellow for that celebration. Boca going down to 10 for handbags, after a game full of handbags, was madness too.

32 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Charlton haven't let Les Reed take charge again have they?

Love these cup results (when involving all other clubs)

Les is a genius 🤫

Looked them Up and it’s massive local Derby that, cray valley paper mills are from Eltham, right next to Charlton. Wonder if the B mob turned out for them

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Did i see that right at the start of the game that Liverpool spent more on one player in the summer than Luton have ever spent? 

I think the stat Sky showed was transfer money spent since 1992, because that’s when football began. Liverpool 1.8 billion, Luton 32 million.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, east-stand-nic said:

Seems the wheels have come off at Norwich somewhat. I thought they were fancied to be top 6 at least.

Surprising given how decent they looked against us earlier in the season. 

Although they've been without Sargent and Barnes for a couple of months now, so have very little up front. 

26 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

This game is a mess and VAR is causing chaos. How many cat lives is Romero going to have?

Nothing wrong with VAR, this game is just nuts. It reminds me of that one when Spurs threw away a 2-0 lead and Leicester were crowned Champions.

It’s been a very entertaining watch, I have to say. God knows how Spurs didn’t have two sent off. If Chelsea keep and use their heads they’ll get 3 points here. A big “if” when applied to footballers in a feisty derby.

5 minutes ago, Chewy said:

It’s been a very entertaining watch, I have to say. God knows how Spurs didn’t have two sent off. If Chelsea keep and use their heads they’ll get 3 points here. A big “if” when applied to footballers in a feisty derby.

Patience, they got there in the end.

What a weird game.

Spurs should’ve battered them after the opening twenty minutes, but reckless tackles and stupidity cost them.

Both sides have got away with a few dubious decisions this evening.

I don’t think Michael Oliver has had a bad game but the VAR officials are so worried about getting a decision wrong they’ve checked every tackle/goal probably thirty times over - just to be sure. 😂