Saints 1-4 Leicester - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

On 09/09/2023 at 16:13, VectisSaint said:

First thing is to take him off corner duty if he is playing at LB. Relying on Edozie while Manning, who is very slow, is diametrically opposite to where he needs to be is ridiculous. I don't believe there is no one else in the side that can take a decent corner. Surely Fraser would be a better bet for corners, because he is not much use in the box (because of his height). Seems the problem to me if Sunderland is to be followed is that Martin doesn't expect the two nominal full backs to be defensive, KWP is marauding all over the pitch. Personally I would prefer to see Larios at LB, perhaps Manning could be utilised in MF, which is where he has played a lot during his career (though I would not pick him there above any of Charles, Downes or Smallbone. All that said, I doubt very much Martin will drop Manning, ever.

I agree, Manning and kwp need to be more considered moving forward.

If you actually look at the system as a whole, there are alot of flaws. Swansea played with 5 at the back, Southampton have played 433 and 442 against Gillingham. I guess the concept is, if Southampton have 80 percent of the ball, then it only gives the opposition 20 minutes of actual playing time to score, but if the opposition attack quickly, then they outnumber Southampton at the back. It's a risky way of playing

• Confused 1

So what do we think about central defence then?  If Bednarek is injured then I reckon Charles is nailed on to play at the back - bit of a shame as I'd like to see him and Downes in midfield for this one but I can't see us going for a Holgate and THB partnership just yet.

Also think players the players that haven't gone away for the international break will be more likely to start as Martin will presumably have worked pretty closely with them.  Should benefit players like Alcaraz, Fraser and Sulemana.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

So what do we think about central defence then?  If Bednarek is injured then I reckon Charles is nailed on to play at the back - bit of a shame as I'd like to see him and Downes in midfield for this one but I can't see us going for a Holgate and THB partnership just yet.

Also think players the players that haven't gone away for the international break will be more likely to start as Martin will presumably have worked pretty closely with them.  Should benefit players like Alcaraz, Fraser and Sulemana.

It’s just a shame if Charles is played at CB…it basically means we’ll have a lesser able defensive midfield with Downes and Smallbone being the obvious starters. He’s got to consider starting THB now.

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

It’s just a shame if Charles is played at CB…it basically means we’ll have a lesser able defensive midfield with Downes and Smallbone being the obvious starters. He’s got to consider starting THB now.

Yes, I agree but I would imagine Martin might be apprehensive of going into the game with a completely different partnership neither of which have played much this season, particularly after what happened against Sunderland.  THB will probably only have had a few training sessions as well.  Brave call if he does go with Holgate and THB. 

16 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yes, I agree but I would imagine Martin might be apprehensive of going into the game with a completely different partnership neither of which have played much this season, particularly after what happened against Sunderland.  THB will probably only have had a few training sessions as well.  Brave call if he does go with Holgate and THB. 

That’s all true and the key issue will be the international duty inhibiting training this week. But he has to utilise the squad by using square pegs in square holes, otherwise what the hell is the point of these ‘squad’ players? I really do think he has to get brave, unless of course he’s seen something of concern in training to suggest THB is a duffer in waiting.

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm guessing it's Charles and Bednarek at the back unless Jan doesn't make it and then it's Bellis. 

I reckon he'll play Holgate or THB alongside Bednarek if he's fit, but will drop Charles into the back if he isn't.  I'd really like to see Charles and Downes in midfield if possible.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

Martin's press conf:

- Bednarek 'touch and go' but trained today
- Harwood-Bellis only trained with group a few days but ready if needed
- Sulemana will be in the matchday squad

Concerning he also refers to Bednarek as Janny B 

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

The notion that it was just a bad debut for Holgate is concerning. He is a terrible footballer and has been for years.

The fact that Martin saw him as a fit for this team is my one concern about him at the moment.

I was just trying on Pamplemousse's "bad day at the office" hope thought, and now it's gone. 🙂

I'd prefer Charles on midfield, so can only hope for 1) A recovery for everyone else or 2) Holgate improves.

30 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

The notion that it was just a bad debut for Holgate is concerning. He is a terrible footballer and has been for years.

The fact that Martin saw him as a fit for this team is my one concern about him at the moment.

How do you play 7 seasons in the PL (quite a few as a regular starter) if you're a terrible footballer 🤷🏼‍♂️. If everybody is fit he likely doesnt start, but hes a much better squad option than Lyanco

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

How do you play 7 seasons in the PL (quite a few as a regular starter) if you're a terrible footballer 🤷🏼‍♂️. If everybody is fit he likely doesnt start, but hes a much better squad option than Lyanco

Lyanco and Holgate weren't the only options in the world. A CB who could pass a ball would've been a start. To be the player singled out for being by far the worst in the Everton squad which we've seen for recent years should've been enough to trigger alarm bells. 

We've also had our fair share of regular PL starters for multiple years who I'm sure you'd agree are absolute shit. I don't think that tells us much about his regression over the past few years.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I think it may depend how he does in training, the same way Mara got his start (yes it's not necessarily the right way to make the decision)

As much as I disgreed with Mara playing (especially on the wing) I think it’s ok for him to try new things. He hasn’t been here long and needs to see things for himself. 

Luckily Mara showed him exactly why he never plays very quickly  

Leicester are too good to not play Harwood-Bellis, really. Sunderland and Norwich ripped the defence/midfield apart and Leicester are better than both. No doubt Harwood-Bellis would have been informed on how Martin wants to play over the international break, he just wouldn't have been able to practise it with the team, but it's not like he's going into tomorrow clueless.

Bazunu

KWP - THB - Bednarek (If fit) - Manning (I'd be tempted to put in Larios, but won't happen)

Charles

Alcaraz - Downes

Sulemana - Adams - Fraser

Best team for me. Expect to see Smallbone, A. Armstrong and doubt Sulemana's going to start, though.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Leicester are too good to not play Harwood-Bellis, really. Sunderland and Norwich ripped the defence/midfield apart and Leicester are better than both. No doubt Harwood-Bellis would have been informed on how Martin wants to play over the international break, he just wouldn't have been able to practise it with the team, but it's not like he's going into tomorrow clueless.

Bazunu

KWP - THB - Bednarek (If fit) - Manning (I'd be tempted to put in Larios, but won't happen)

Charles

Alcaraz - Downes

Best team for me. Expect to see Smallbone, A. Armstrong and doubt Sulemana's going to start, though.

On paper, Take out Alcaraz for Arma and I'll agree with you.

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Bazunu

Charles

Alcaraz - Downes

And with very good reason. We’re five games into the season with a new manager, new league and we’re doing alright with ten points. It’s far too early to be binning off players like Manning and just chucking someone like Larios in for the sake of change.

I want at least six consecutive games, injury permitting, of Baz, KWP, THB, Bednarek and Manning, before I pass any real judgement.

• Like 7

Mad this, we came very close to signing Vardy back when he was at Fleetwood. IIRC the Fletwood chairman has told people he had played his last game for them and was coming to us then Leicester nipped in. I know some of you don't like him and we’d probably have sold him as that’s what we do but what an unreal signing he would have been 

8C0F8E3B-1FE3-4E62-B548-4FFA6832C9AA.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

And with very good reason. We’re five games into the season with a new manager, new league and we’re doing alright with ten points. It’s far too early to be binning off players like Manning and just chucking someone like Larios in for the sake of change.

Understandable how people would like to see Manning replaced after his remarkably poor start to the season, but you're right that he shouldn't be completely written off just yet. Still time for him to come good, but early signs are worrying.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I think most of us would have to admit that given our injury list, and lack of cohesion in an ever-changing line-up, this won't be 

anything like Russell Martin's " dream team ".   We've picked up some points from a few games without looking like promotion 

candidates, but it's a long season with 41 matches still to play but regardless of results, the Leicester (and Ipswich games) 

will be a good marker for the future when we play against two of the early season leaders.

On the face of it ..two draws might keep us in the mix, but a real test for new players coming in with very little League experience.

Defeats won't mean the end of the campaign, but make it more challenging to get into the top six from a midtable morass of nonentities.

11 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I want at least six consecutive games, injury permitting, of Baz, KWP, THB, Bednarek and Manning, before I pass any real judgement.

Good point Lighthouse.  I've always said that I never take a serious look at stats. or the table until after games 7 or 8, and many times 

in the past we started badly - and even been in the bottom 3  at that stage - yet still got our act together in late season.

As always... the " excellent work " we always hear about on the training ground must show itself on match days. 

11 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Well that defence has played 5 games and let in more goals than any other side in the Championship so I fail to see what difference one more game is going to make. Clearly, to date, the goalkeeper and back line are not good enough although I appreciate they can improve - quite frankly if we are serious about promotion they are going to have to and pretty quickly.

• Like 1

We haven’t found our rhythm yet, further unsettled by injury and having to field new, unintegrated players. Something needs to click soon. Team selection will be vital. Fraser must start.

Prediction: 2-3 Leicester

..or 3-0 Saints

who knows?

47 minutes ago, saintant said:

Well that defence has played 5 games and let in more goals than any other side in the Championship so I fail to see what difference one more game is going to make. Clearly, to date, the goalkeeper and back line are not good enough although I appreciate they can improve - quite frankly if we are serious about promotion they are going to have to and pretty quickly.

That’s not what I said though, is it? We’ve had Stephens injured, Charles dropping in occasionally and a nightmarish debut for Holgate, plus something of a tombola in front of them between JWP, Smallbone, Charles, Downes and Stu. We need stability, starting from now; the transfer window has closed, we know who’s staying and who we’ve brought in.

• Like 1

Big game tonight. Massive game. The next four or five matches will show where we are and where we will be as a team this season.

I'm guessing the team will be something like:
Bazunu;
KWP, Harwood-Bellis, Holgate (Bednarek if fit), Manning;
Charles, Alcaraz, Downes;
Edozie, A. Armstrong, Fraser

I imagine Che Adams, Stu Armstrong and Kamaldeen Sulemana will be impact subs. Jan Bednarek I think was subbed off on international duty, so I'd prefer him to start but not sure if he will.

Can't call this one. Certainly no clean sheet for us though!

I would like to see:  

Bazunu

KWP            THB                        Charles            Manning

Downes

Alcaraz                   A.Armstrong

Sulemana                                                             Fraser

Adams

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nolan said:

I would like to see:  

Bazunu

KWP            THB                        Charles            Manning

Downes

Alcaraz                   A.Armstrong

Sulemana                                                             Fraser

Adams

Agree, and looking forward to it, even after Sunderland.  Think we will win 2-1.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Mad this, we came very close to signing Vardy back when he was at Fleetwood. IIRC the Fletwood chairman has told people he had played his last game for them and was coming to us then Leicester nipped in. I know some of you don't like him and we’d probably have sold him as that’s what we do but what an unreal signing he would have been 

8C0F8E3B-1FE3-4E62-B548-4FFA6832C9AA.jpeg

Based on the fact that we bought Rickie Lambert for about the same price a year earlier, and eventually sold him for approx £5m(?), surely that is better value?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-4 Leicester - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic