Saints 1-4 Leicester - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah the 2011-2012 midfield was bang on it, don't forget Cork as well - he was a hard worker. Arguably the likes of Charly, Smallbone, Downes may be better 'technically' than some of the 2012 lot, but they need to work a hell of a lot harder to be as influential. I'm not sure if it's in their makeup though and it's the midfield which is giving me nightmares at the mo.

Yep, it's the work ethic that's lacking. SA too just ambles back. If we had a team of players with AA's work ethic and attitude we'd be a hell of a lot better off. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, egg said:

Yep, it's the work ethic that's lacking. SA too just ambles back. If we had a team of players with AA's work ethic and attitude we'd be a hell of a lot better off. 

If players are 'getting away with it' in terms of work ethic then it is because Martin is getting too close to his players. There always needs to be distance and respect between management and employees, they cannot be best buddies. With all the cuddling and chuminess that goes on with Martin it is maybe not surprising that the players are starting to feel too comfortable with him around and taking the piss. 

• Like 2

Smallbone played as an 8 and a 10 for Stoke - but started the season for us as a 6 and did pretty well at it.   I would say his best position is probably as an 8 on the right of the midfield.

I would guess he returned a bit too soon from his injury for the Sunderland game - as he looked out of sorts - but then so did the whole midfield.

Downes is a 6 and played there for Swansea under Martin - allowing Grimes to get forward.  But I would guess he can play the 8 role as well.  I think maybe he got through the QPR game on adrenaline as he looked off his game at Sunderland - hopefully due to the after effects of his food poisoning.

I am not sure we have the right squad - after the transfer window - to keep playing the 4-3-3. It looks a bit unbalanced with Martin trying to put square pegs in round holes.

Not replacing Tella was a big miss.  He was really our only wide forward.  

Adarma is much better as a second striker than as a centre forward - and scored all those goals for Blackburn playing on the right of a 3 behind the centre forward - where he can use the space and make the runs from deep.

The squad looks better suited to a 4-2-3-1 at the moment with Adam Armstrong, Alcaraz and Smallbone/Stu in the 3 behind Adams/Stewart, and Downes and Charles sitting as the 2 in front of the back 4.

The fullbacks in KWP and Manning are both attack minded and get forward too much - and seem to forget their defensive duties - which leaves the 2 centre backs exposed in the 4-3-3.  One of them needs to sit back in the 4-3-3 whilst the other moves in to midfield.  But at the moment they both seem to play more like attacking midfielders or wingers.   Maybe that why we signed Holgate - to play as a more defensively minded full back on the right.

So for  Leicester I'd play:

Bazunu

KWP    Bednarek   THB    Manning

Charles    Downes

Smallbone   Alcaraz  Adarma

Adams

Which put round pegs in round holes and will get the best out of the full backs as well as Adarma, Alcaraz and Smallbone. - and give the centre backs more protection.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Smallbone played as an 8 and a 10 for Stoke - but started the season for us as a 6 and did pretty well at it.   I would say his best position is probably as an 8 on the right of the midfield.

I would guess he returned a bit too soon from his injury for the Sunderland game - as he looked out of sorts - but then so did the whole midfield.

Downes is a 6 and played there for Swansea under Martin - allowing Grimes to get forward.  But I would guess he can play the 8 role as well.  I think maybe he got through the QPR game on adrenaline as he looked off his game at Sunderland - hopefully due to the after effects of his food poisoning.

I am not sure we have the right squad - after the transfer window - to keep playing the 4-3-3. It looks a bit unbalanced with Martin trying to put square pegs in round holes.

Not replacing Tella was a big miss.  He was really our only wide forward.  

Adarma is much better as a second striker than as a centre forward - and scored all those goals for Blackburn playing on the right of a 3 behind the centre forward - where he can use the space and make the runs from deep.

The squad looks better suited to a 4-2-3-1 at the moment with Adam Armstrong, Alcaraz and Smallbone/Stu in the 3 behind Adams/Stewart, and Downes and Charles sitting as the 2 in front of the back 4.

The fullbacks in KWP and Manning are both attack minded and get forward too much - and seem to forget their defensive duties - which leaves the 2 centre backs exposed in the 4-3-3.  One of them needs to sit back in the 4-3-3 whilst the other moves in to midfield.  But at the moment they both seem to play more like attacking midfielders or wingers.   Maybe that why we signed Holgate - to play as a more defensively minded full back on the right.

So for  Leicester I'd play:

Bazunu

Charles    Downes

Smallbone   Alcaraz  Adarma

Adams

Which put round pegs in round holes and will get the best out of the full backs as well as Adarma, Alcaraz and Smallbone. - and give the centre backs more protection.

There are two better players than Smallbone and Adarma, so I would play them either side if Alcaraz.

Listening to TSP Leicester guest - unsurprisingly they sound like the exact same as us. He commented on their inverted full backs, really slow build up to draw players out, giving chances away and being strong at the end of games.

He said he thought they had been a bit lucky with some results and that Winks was a complete class above. They’ve also got loads of Gks on their books they want rid of and have put a ball playing youngster there who by all accounts they highly rate. I think it might be a real cat and mouse game - you can’t have both teams having 70pc possession so something will give. Tactically if we’re smart you’d want to take advantage of the open wings quickly when we turnover the ball - as we know that works against this system !!.

going to be a fascinating game - battle of the Poor Man’s Man Cities !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hodgey said:

Listening to TSP Leicester guest - unsurprisingly they sound like the exact same as us. He commented on their inverted full backs, really slow build up to draw players out, giving chances away and being strong at the end of games.

He said he thought they had been a bit lucky with some results and that Winks was a complete class above. They’ve also got loads of Gks on their books they want rid of and have put a ball playing youngster there who by all accounts they highly rate. I think it might be a real cat and mouse game - you can’t have both teams having 70pc possession so something will give. Tactically if we’re smart you’d want to take advantage of the open wings quickly when we turnover the ball - as we know that works against this system !!.

going to be a fascinating game - battle of the Poor Man’s Man Cities !

It's interesting that they have conceded a third as many playing the same way as us.

• Like 1

Line up completely depends on condition of the player, but I'd go something like the below:

Bazunu

KWP
Bednarek
THB
Manning

Charles
Downes
Alcaraz

Arma
Adams
Fraser

There is a real lack of pace in the side though with Tella gone. Sulemena could well be the answer to that, but no idea if hes ready, mentally and physically.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Line up completely depends on condition of the player, but I'd go something like the below:

Bazunu

KWP
Bednarek
THB
Manning

Charles
Downes
Alcaraz

Arma
Adams
Fraser

There is a real lack of pace in the side though with Tella gone. Sulemena could well be the answer to that, but no idea if hes ready, mentally and physically.

This but only if Downes and Charles are both playing as holding midfielder not just one of them 

17 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Bazunu

KWP
Bednarek
THB
Manning

Charles
Downes
Alcaraz

Arma
Adams
Fraser

I like this but prefer Edozie over Fraser to start. Fraser as sub at 60 minutes. Also need to find space for SAA at 60, probs sub for Alcaraz.

11 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I did consider this mate, But THB will have hardly any time with the team due to the international break.

We also know that Charles is the best competent option at the back for now.

The only times we've looked vaguely decent at defending this season has been with Charles infront of the back 4.

THB is used to the style of play and has been playing, kinda the opposite to Holgate. Pretty sure he could slot straight in. 

• Like 6

On 03/09/2023 at 11:34, AlexLaw76 said:

Bit of a way off but the game at Sunderland is food for thought. This is first of 2 big home games in a few days, and against one of the follow 'big heads' in the league. If we remain ridiculously open, we will ship goals against this lot (and ipswich). No more excuses about players having their minds elsewhere, it is the same for most other clubs (including Leicester).

My team...

Bazunu 

KwP, THB, Bednarek, Manning

Charles, Downes

A.Armstrong, Alcaraz, Fraser

Adams

Subs - Lumley/McCarthy, Holgate, Bree, Smallbone, Edozie, SAA, S.Armstrong, Aribo, Sully (if they are all still here, which will probably not be the case)

Yes, I would have A.Armstrong wide. He is decent there and works extremely hard forwards and back and has an eye for goal. We have to inject much more tempo into our build up and old choco-wrists has to stop letting in soft goals.

Having Charles and Downes is key here

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Bazunu

KWP
Bednarek
THB
Manning

Charles
Downes
Alcaraz

Arma
Adams
Fraser

I agree with the lineup, I think it’s probably our strongest unless Sully fancies giving it a go any time soon

Pace isn’t really an issue for me though, as we don’t really utilise it

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I agree with the lineup, I think it’s probably our strongest unless Sully fancies giving it a go any time soon

Pace isn’t really an issue for me though, as we don’t really utilise it

Totally agree. This is our best line up and could roll over most if we deploy less wide-open tactics

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Bazunu

Charles    Downes

Sulemana   Alcaraz  AdamA

Adams

I think this is the team 99% of fans would pick, so has 0% chance of happening. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Bazunu

Charles    Downes

Sulemana   Alcaraz  AdamA

Adams

Yeah, our strongest line up, apart from Baz.  I’d bet my house that’ll not happen…nothing is ever that simple for our Managers, but they must know better of course.

12 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Yeah, our strongest line up, apart from Baz.  I’d bet my house that’ll not happen…nothing is ever that simple for our Managers, but they must know better of course.

There is no way that Macca or Lumley are better than Bazunu, despite Baz's shortcomings...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

There is no way that Macca or Lumley are better than Bazunu, despite Baz's shortcomings...

I agree that’s the case with Macca, but we’ve not really seen Lumley in action yet and frankly Baz is having such a torrid time I’d try every option. In an effort to improve our chances. If he’s really that bad one has to question the sanity of bringing him in.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I agree that’s the case with Macca, but we’ve not really seen Lumley in action yet and frankly Baz is having such a torrid time I’d try every option. In an effort to improve our chances. If he’s really that bad one has to question the sanity of bringing him in.

How any fan can warrant blame baz for conceeding 12 goals us baffling. At fault for 2.

• Like 2

On 05/09/2023 at 08:50, Charlie Wayman said:

If players are 'getting away with it' in terms of work ethic then it is because Martin is getting too close to his players. There always needs to be distance and respect between management and employees, they cannot be best buddies. With all the cuddling and chuminess that goes on with Martin it is maybe not surprising that the players are starting to feel too comfortable with him around and taking the piss. 

Only just seen this comment, but you can have both.

Pochettino certainly did when he was here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

How any fan can warrant blame baz for conceeding 12 goals us baffling. At fault for 2.

It’s not a case of blaming him for every conceded goal, but more about the evidence of his athleticism, movement and positioning, all of which are quite poor. That stats put him at or near bottom over all leagues. It’s baffling how anyone can dispute the facts. He’s just not good enough.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

It’s not a case of blaming him for every conceded goal, but more about the evidence of his athleticism, movement and positioning, all of which are quite poor. That stats put him at or near bottom over all leagues. It’s baffling how anyone can dispute the facts. He’s just not good enough.

You should stop reading stats. They are meaningless tripe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/09/2023 at 07:27, Saint Garrett said:

Bazunu

KWP
Bednarek
THB
Manning

Charles
Downes
Alcaraz

Arma
Adams
Fraser

that is our strongest XI currently. Stronger would be Sulemana (for AArmstrong) if he can get his head straight and buckle down.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SaintTex said:

that is our strongest XI currently. Stronger would be Sulemana (for AArmstrong) if he can get his head straight and buckle down.

Well, he's here for the foreseeable so he can get off his arse and start earning his pay and prove that brace at the end of last season wasn't just a fluke

• Like 1

Honestly cannot see much other than a defeat here. I don't think RM is capable or indeed even willing to change his ways and beliefs to make the defence tougher. So, I figure we will again concede at least 2. We might well pinch a draw, but it is so hard to see the future after an international break. Will we have things sorted much better in two weeks? I doubt that. We can certainly do better going forward and may well score 2 or 3 ourselves, but we will need to just to get a draw.

• Confused 1

Yep, not too hopeful for this. Sunderland was a big knock-back, had we lost one or two nil it would still have been a knock but the poor performance and heavy defeat was damaging.

Shame we haven’t had two weeks working with the squad together but still a very strong group of players (how good did the bench look last weekend!) and early days so hopeful things will settle and gel over next few weeks.

On 05/09/2023 at 13:27, Saint Garrett said:

Bazunu

KWP
Bednarek
THB
Manning

Charles
Downes
Alcaraz

Arma
Adams
Fraser

Two of your 3 attackers in that side are pretty damn fast, probably faster than Tella tbh. And Sulemana will likely be the fastest player in the league as well. Also Alcaraz is no slow poke! Sadly we don't play counter attacking football, so it will come down to intelligence, off the ball runs, and creative midfielders threading the passes.

33 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Two of your 3 attackers in that side are pretty damn fast, probably faster than Tella tbh. And Sulemana will likely be the fastest player in the league as well. Also Alcaraz is no slow poke! Sadly we don't play counter attacking football, so it will come down to intelligence, off the ball runs, and creative midfielders threading the passes.

Sorry - I was mainly meaning in defence / midfield, to counter the counter attack.

Agree Fraser and Arma have some pace. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Sorry - I was mainly meaning in defence / midfield, to counter the counter attack.

Agree Fraser and Arma have some pace. 

Ah in which case i agree (you confused me with the reference to tella leaving). Central defence has been too slow for a while, although hopefully the new guy will aid that. KWP has pace at least, but manning is nothing special in that regard.

29 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Mara has got to start. Has been excellent in training and friendlies no ones watched.

Are you suggesting Martin is lying and he has decided to play a player that was shit in training / friendlies or are you questioning our new managers judgement already? 

Ill be honest i cant think of any other credible reason he played him out of position last week

On 06/09/2023 at 09:01, Lighthouse said:

I’ll chuck an extra £20, a Curly Wurly and some old Pokémon cards into that wager. I can’t imagine Russel watched the Sunderland game and thought, “we really need to concede more goals.”

Glad to see some positivity about Bazunu. I was beginning to despair of him ever keeping a clean sheet or safely stopping shots. Hopefully his head is in the right place. I see he played for Ireland against France and only conceded 2 goals.

23 hours ago, Micky said:

Be lucky to get a point,  we can score goals,  but we leak like a sieve at the back.  When we have the ball i would like to see some purpose, other than possession for possessions sake.  A draw at best. 

I'm more hopeful. Bit like when we lost 9-0 (for the first time) and then went on a good run, surely RM must be able to work out a plan to bolster the defence and make his possession football more penetrative. A fit, focused Sulemana would be a massive addition and THB & Bednerek in central defence with Shea in front of them look pretty solid.

Must admit, I got Manning all wrong. Thought he looked good in the friendlies but he needs to take his skates off and start defending properly because he's looking a real weak link. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-4 Leicester - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic